Dark Souls + Diablo

Games & Technology
So I was playing some dark souls and thought of an incredible idea of a hybrid game between dark souls and diablo.

By that I mean Blizzard and From Soft collaborating and creating a souls game set in the diablo universe.

The town or the safe zone such as majula or firelink shrine from dark souls can be tristram or rogue encampment etc.

The character classes from diablo such as sorceress or barbarian could easily be translated to the gameplay of the souls franchise. It can have the same leveling system as dark souls. To get different skills you need to find scrolls for it, and to increase the damage of your skills you need to put points into attunement and faith etc etc.

Just like in Dark souls, if you start as a sword and shield character, it's not difficult to switch mid game to a caster. You would simply decide to abandon strength and start putting points into attunement or faith or whatever. Or it could just follow the diablo 2's leveling system with the skill tree and have you select a fixed character class from the beginning. There are so many ways to go about it.

Also, imagine the boss fights. With great boss soundtracks like Ornstein and Smough battle, imagine you're fighting Izual with dark souls' close up camera perspective.

Then there's Old Iron King fight. That could even be the level where you fight diablo at the end of the game.

Here is a fight vs the gaping dragon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjEb646Bjsc

Imagine instead of fighting the gaping dragon, in that chamber we get to fight Duriel.

Or how about fighting Mephisto in a creepy atmosphere like the fight vs Gravelord Nito?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqovvj1J-g0

Then there is the setting. From the deserts of Lut Gholein to Rogue Encampment wilderness, those can easily be immersed into dark souls style level designing. The darkroot forests is exactly like the jungle from act 3 of diablo 2. Of course it may be much harder to make areas as interconnected as dark souls 1 world, but diablo universe also has portals anyways that can be cleverly implemented into the world building.

Just as Bethesda received the right to the Fallout franchise and made something extraordinary that also played completely differently from the previous fallout games, I think Diablo franchise has a lot of potential outside of just dungeon crawler point and click ARPG style gameplay. To me, from the lore to the theme and atmosphere, Diablo is worthy to be made into something as epic as Dark souls.

This is probably never going to happen, but man can you imagine how awesome it would be if they can pull off something like this?
I once described Dark Souls as Diablo 1 in 3d to one of my friends. It's such a great game.

06/18/2015 02:01 PMPosted by SeriusBizNis
Imagine instead of fighting the gaping dragon, in that chamber we get to fight Duriel.
Capra Demon was the Duriel fight. I crapped my pants the first time I went in that room and then promptly died just like the Duriel fight. lol

It would be interesting to see a Dark Souls style Diablo world. I can only believe that in order for it to be good they'd have to let FromSoftware have creative control over the project. I don't trust that Blizz has the ability to capture the darkness a game like that would deserve.

It's fun to fantasize about it but it'll never happen.
06/18/2015 02:18 PMPosted by gudmugly
I once described Dark Souls as Diablo 1 in 3d to one of my friends. It's such a great game.

06/18/2015 02:01 PMPosted by SeriusBizNis
Capra Demon was the Duriel fight. I crapped my pants the first time I went in that room and then promptly died just like the Duriel fight. lol

It would be interesting to see a Dark Souls style Diablo world. I can only believe that in order for it to be good they'd have to let FromSoftware have creative control over the project. I don't trust that Blizz has the ability to capture the darkness a game like that would deserve.

It's fun to fantasize about it but it'll never happen.

The capra demon was crazy indeed. But there's an easy way to beat him. As soon as you go through the door you run up the stairs so the ground is too narrow for the dogs and the capra demon to attack all together. You funnel the 3 opponents so you take out the dogs first and then deal with capra demon when he's left alone. Man... fun game...
This! This!
"Stay a while and lis...YOU DIED."
Some indies are sort of headed that direction in a way..
Eitr & Exanima

Maybe not he same atmosphere and graphics but same concept of DS Vs Diablo
Isometric view though as well
Imagine spamming blessed hammers in dark souls PvP duel :3
Please, for the love of god, do not let Activision within spitting distance of a From Software franchise.

Worst
Idea
Ever
Depths of Perdition is exactly this. It's a Diablo 2 / Dark Souls hybrid. Skills are reminiscent of Diablo 2, atmosphere is reminiscent of the original Diablo.

Check it out at:
www.facebook.com/DepthsOfPerdition
www.depthsofperdition.com
www.twitter.com/DepthsPerdition
i was thinking of the same idea...
can already imagine the "character creation screen" with the diablo signature guitar music. :D

DS graphics, combat and leveling system.
diablo items, bosses and lore.

imagine DS game where you have portal and can go to town anytime
instead of estus you would have potions.. and can get legendary potions later on in the game.

farming gems and gear from a system similar to "chalice dungeons" in "Bloodborne" would simply be.. awesome.

on-line features, 4 players max. with jolly cooperation or invading.

man... some please petition this for it to come true.
Lets be blunt... the vast majority of diablo players would ragequit before the tutorial boss in any proper soulsborne translation.

We have page after page of people complaining here that bosses with one phase and a moveset of a handful of moves are "impossible" or "unfair".

What happens when they face a boss with three phases and multiple movesets who will combo them down on one fell swoop time after time because their typical "cookie cutter+smash-face-at-keyboard strat" wouldn't work?

The seas would overflow with salt from their tears.

I'd love to see it... but the average player in this community will need a good 10-15 years or more of growth as both a person and gamer before they are ready for it.

Given where Activision's other games are going, I'd count on the next step in the Diablo line to be more "family-friendly" and designed for younger gamers. Think Diablo+Pokemon+Hello Kitty meets my little pony.

So Diablo 4 will be "Diablo's big Island Pet Adventure".
:-)
Nioh on the ps4 is pretty much diablo+dark souls. It's difficult and has tons of loot drops and crafting. The game even has 4 difficulty levels (way of samurai, strong, demon, and one super dank hard difficulty).
09/21/2017 10:48 AMPosted by Azmir
Lets be blunt... the vast majority of diablo players would ragequit before the tutorial boss in any proper soulsborne translation.

I think you mean the vast majority of Diablo 3 players. Diablo 2 Duriel is still pretty enraging for new players