Spirit of Arachyr [New]

Witch Doctor
Taken from:
http://www.diablofans.com/news/48452-diablo-3-patch-2-3-ptr-datamined-class-changes-set

Spirit of Arachyr [New]
2 pieces: [Summon a permanent Spider Queen who leaves behind webs that deal [1500]% weapon damage over 5 seconds and Slows enemies. The Spider Queen is commanded to move to where you cast your Corpse Spiders.]
4 pieces: [Hex gains the effect of the Toad of Hugeness rune. While Toad of Hugeness is active, you take 40% reduced damage. After Toad of Hugeness finishes his meal, you will heal for 10% of your maximum Life per second for 10 seconds.]
6 pieces: [The damage of your creature skills is increased by 500%. Creature skills are Corpse Spiders, Plague of Toads, Firebats, Hex, and Piranhas.]

Nope worthy.
While a spider build for the WD is needed, this set is just silly.
I do hope this datamined set is completely revamped to be amusing.. not just utter garbage like helltooth.

HERE.. MY SUGGESTIONS..

2 piece.
-Summon a permanent spider queen, and transform all zombie dogs into spiders, and transforum garg into a unique garg spider, kinda like Frankenstein but with more legs and fangs.
-They all leave behind webs that deal xxx damage.
-blablabla spider queen moves to corpse spider jar thrown target etc..
(this atleast let ppl have some build diversity and some awesome looking pets, while having the 'spirit of arachyr' in-mind)

4 piece.
-Hex becomes a cocoon which taunts all enemies to move toward it, and slows them by 85% when they get within 10yards, until cocoon explodes dealing xxx weapon damage and spawns 20 little spiders that can leap and cling onto enemies dealing xx weapon damage every second, little spiders live for 30 seconds then die or until enemy they cling to dies, little spiders are immune to AOE damage.
(toad of hugeness is garbage, why is a frog involved with a spider set?)
(plz make a new something or whatever.. a new spider or tarantula or something.. screw the toad)

6 piece.
-Poison abilities and runes have increased poison damage by 2500%
-You leave a web everywhere you step and it does damage up to 80% weapon damage and slows enemies by 100% they get stuck in the web.
-Piranhas is now a giant web which spawns trapdoor spiders that will lightening quick pull enemies who step on it into it get them stuck and deal poison damage.

Please make this spider set fun and amusing.
I don't want to see the first spider set be absolute garbage that recycles abilities no-one uses simply to make people use them, while forgetting about how and what the build should look and feel like and making it fun to begin with.

Please don't make the first spider set horrible.
I have been trying to make spider builds for years.. and always.. ALWAYS was dissapointed.
I think you are not likely to get them to change the set in the PTR, usually just number tweaks, not big mechanics changes.
Yeah im hoping though.
It would be a shame to have the first spider set come into the game and be pretty much another Helltooth.
I am sure, that will not happen again .. it is just first try build this set and need to be tested.

I believe in John Yang, that he will do his job right and WD class will go in right direction ... finaly.
This set sounds fun.
I would run this set..

I couldn't care if i wasn't farming efficiently..
I would be atleast be happy with a real spider set.
06/28/2015 09:13 PMPosted by Awkward
your creature skills

The 2 new sets have issues of inter-related problems due to the wordings and mechanics, especially with regards to the word "your".

Say for example, TGR Mimics are classified as Pets. If Arachyr6 and/or Helltooth6 allows Pets to benefit, the damage will be good when compared with 6pc sets from other classes. However, that will allow the damage of fetish darts to shoot through the roof, making the dart build way too OP.

If the 2 new sets disallow Pets to benefit, then the changes are mediocre at best, because the WD will just keep chain-dying at the 40%-50% mitigation (Jade4 still lacks the survival buff). The WD skills and mechanics forces us to combat from close-to-mid range, and survival is essential to face the game content and react to the situation.

I've mentioned in other threads that the 4pc mitigation of all the 4 WD sets need to be around the 80%-85% region to be decent for survival. If we decide to be tanky, we still have to add in Unity/USmojo/Passives on top of that 80% base mitigation. That's how punishing the current patch is for WDs.

One possible solution for the 2 new sets is to make sure Poison Darts is not in the list of beneficiaries. Instead of "primary skills", list out the other 3 skills and leave out Poison Darts for Helltooth6.

Arachyr is definitely a Rhenho set based on current description. Spiders output about 1/4 damage, or 1/8 damage against explosive toads. Players gravitate towards efficiency, and Rhenho ability will become default choice for Arachyr set. Firebat or Spider fans will definitely choose Helltooth set for the significantly higher multiplier. Ironically, the Helltooth set is better for the "spider theme". With the Rhenho ability, Arachyr is slightly better than Helltooth and is perma-buff, leading to spare skill slot for BBV and Zuni2(or4) hybrids - extra DPS, extra meat shields, extra tanky.

Suggest to rename Arachyr to some huge toad or frog species.
06/28/2015 09:13 PMPosted by Awkward
Taken from:
http://www.diablofans.com/news/48452-diablo-3-patch-2-3-ptr-datamined-class-changes-set

Spirit of Arachyr [New]
2 pieces: [Summon a permanent Spider Queen who leaves behind webs that deal [1500]% weapon damage over 5 seconds and Slows enemies. The Spider Queen is commanded to move to where you cast your Corpse Spiders.]
4 pieces: [Hex gains the effect of the Toad of Hugeness rune. While Toad of Hugeness is active, you take 40% reduced damage. After Toad of Hugeness finishes his meal, you will heal for 10% of your maximum Life per second for 10 seconds.]
6 pieces: [The damage of your creature skills is increased by 500%. Creature skills are Corpse Spiders, Plague of Toads, Firebats, Hex, and Piranhas.]

Long live the HellTeeth. Blizz can always make a way to reincarnate a suck sets for WD.
06/29/2015 03:12 AMPosted by PaulNg

Yeah the set doesn't really seem to live up to any kind of expectation from the data-mined info.

06/29/2015 03:49 AMPosted by stefan

Long live the HellTeeth. Blizz can always make a way to reincarnate a suck sets for WD.

I hope they don't just start copy pasting sets around and giving htem minor benefits that doesn't even make them unique to the name they are given.

It should be the "Croooaaakk!" set? Spirit of Huge Toadness?
It's weird how there are no Huge toads in the game other than the WD's.

But they will make a set that involves them.
One possible solution for the 2 new sets is to make sure Poison Darts is not in the list of beneficiaries. Instead of "primary skills", list out the other 3 skills and leave out Poison Darts for Helltooth6.

the 2 new sets do not include pets.
I am sure that we will test dart builds with the new sets in PTR...

Hmmmm... as I love the Toad of Hugeness rune, I'm all for this idea; there are DEFINITELY some very cool amphibian species out there to consider...

The genus Rheobatrachus was (now extinct) very cool - they were called 'gastric brooding' frogs and would raise their young inside the mother's stomach. So awesome. I could see a connection here.

The whole family of Dendrobatids (the poison dart frogs) is almost too easy. I mean... they are poison dart frogs - how much more of a connection do you need? But, Phyllobates terribilis is a great scientific name that suggests terror...

If going for size, then the common bull frog is an easy candidate, but again... almost too easy.

Ceratophrys is a genus of South American horned frogs AKA "Pac-Man" frogs. They have HUGE mouths; a full grown specimen can eat a rat - seriously. I wonder if ToH was originally designed after this...?

For sheer size, you could go with the Goliath Frog Conraua goliath or the Cane Toad, which is also quite large. Though... you might upset the Aussies here... :)

I'm all for the first, with the gastric brooders.

How about - Spirit of Rheobatrach - (or some variant on that). It fits with the digestion theme and pays homage to a recently-extinct species (early-to-mid 1980s).

At any rate, can the toad PLEASE be cast at my cursor location? I don't want him vomiting up elites next to me...
I would prefer a set that is spiders over frogs.

But i guess the spider set is getting a bit of both, rather than being awesome and only about spiders.

Seems pretty lame, not sure what Developer was thinking this.
Maybe he was tired and needed coffee and his empty mug had a picture of a frog on it.
06/29/2015 10:19 PMPosted by Awkward
But i guess the spider set is getting a bit of both, rather than being awesome and only about spiders.

They can easily change the spider knife to enhance damage or merge the small spiders into a big AOE spider nuke (equivalent to double-toad explosions). That will ensure Arachyr is both a Spider set and Toad set.
I love that they're bringing in a spider set, it really fits the witch doctor theme. The fact that they're giving us control over the queen also respects the issues we've been having with pet ai.
06/29/2015 11:07 PMPosted by PaulNg
06/29/2015 10:19 PMPosted by Awkward

They can easily change the spider knife to enhance damage or merge the small spiders into a big AOE spider nuke (equivalent to double-toad explosions). That will ensure Arachyr is both a Spider set and Toad set.

Is it meant to be a toad thing?

They really haven't done much ever with spiders, they used to be a mana battery and a leveling aid that was all, they had horrible damage, now they are still poor damage but will have a set that makes them in noway unique or give them anything cool other than some damage based on your set

Seems pretty poor effort.. 3 years later..

06/30/2015 03:32 AMPosted by Surijak
I love that they're bringing in a spider set, it really fits the witch doctor theme. The fact that they're giving us control over the queen also respects the issues we've been having with pet ai.

I love that fact also.
But i fear they are just going to wing it with the set, it just doesn't look like they want to do anything with it.
They just want to make it look like they are adding in some stuff, make the patch look big, give it some hype.

The spider queen will still be useless, its unfortunate, it will just be a pink transparent thing randomly walking to where you attack doing mediocre damage.

Not very Spiderish.. just a sheepdog with more legs.

I bet the set doesn't even look good.
Is it meant to be a toad thing?

I don't know what the intention is, but current description makes spiders much weaker than Rhenho toads.

The tooltip you see on spiders, you need to divide by the number of spiders within each vase. Each spider is single target. Contrast this with AOE toads, and the overall DPS output has significant difference in view of rift clearing.

They will need to adjust all the runes, estimated DPS for AOE or single targets, to make every listed skill and rune to be on-par with each other. Next, they will need to make the Spider ceremonial knife on-par with Rhenho, and maybe introduce a ceremonial knife for the other types of Creatures.

To give an example of AOE vs Single Target, let's imagine spider tooltip is 1200% and there are 4 spiders. This makes the skill very strong against single target or a few targets, but weak against hordes of mobs. In that way, the rift progression will balance out, and players will pick another AOE skill to mix into the build. If a single skill/rune has super AOE and super single target, then the whole WD community will just use that one skill/rune. It defeats the purpose of making multiple sets and series of skills and runes.

The reason why Carnevil darts is the only high GR build for WD is because the darts are strong against single targets, and the DOD-pierce provides some measure of AOE. Contrast this against all the WD skills and runes with AOE, and you find everything else really weak.

Hopefullly the 4 WD sets will adequately address all these issues. As always, address the WD survival issues first.
I think with this set they're going for a zookeeper playstyle, but it will be a terrible playstyle.