Patch 2.3.0 Focused Feedback: Adventure Mode

Blizzard Archive
1 2 3 5 Next
Welcome, nephalem, to the Patch 2.3.0 PTR!

This upcoming patch features a slew of new features and items for Diablo III: Reaper of Souls. For more information on the full scope of Patch 2.3.0, please check out our latest patch notes here and our Patch Preview here.

In order to help guide your testing efforts, we are currently looking for focused discussions on a variety of topics.

To help us keep feedback organized, we ask that you post your thoughts in the appropriate thread where applicable. If you have feedback that does not fall into one of the above categories, feel free to make a new thread!
This Focused Feedback thread is dedicated to Adventure Mode changes. To help guide your feedback, we ask that you use the following format:

• Do you find yourself doing more or less Bounties?
  • What percentage of your PTR play time do you spend in Nephalem or Greater Rifts?
  • How does the leveling experience feel with the new changes in place?
  • How does crafting feel in regards to your character progression?
  • How does the ratio of crafting materials feel? Is it more balanced or skewed toward a particular material?
  • Ruins of Sescheron
    • Are the characters and story of the new area compelling?
    • Was there too much? Not enough?
    • How does the pacing of the new area feel?

With that said, thank you to all our PTR participants. Your feedback is appreciated and continues to be integral to our design and iteration process. Happy testing!

Please Note: In order to facilitate focused feedback, posts in this thread that are not relevant to the topics listed above will be deleted. Please create a new thread for your concerns if they are outside the above topics. Thank you!
Do you find yourself doing more or less Bounties?
More. If que times weren't long, my group would have most definitely done more bounties. The materials for kanai's being the main factor.

What percentage of your PTR play time do you spend in Nephalem or Greater Rifts?
Assuming ideal conditions - no shortage of legendaries, no shortage of materials from bounties - I feel we spent majority of our time so far on Greater Rifts. The removal of trials is great. I'd say I will be spending 60-80% of my time in greater rifts guaranteed.

How does the leveling experience feel with the new changes in place?
Haven't leveled.

How does crafting feel in regards to your character progression?
Haven't yet.

How does the ratio of crafting materials feel? Is it more balanced or skewed toward a particular material?
It seems more balanced actually. Maybe it's the speed of how fast we cleared everything but I find myself collecting yellows, blues, and whites at the same pace. Granted it's only been 3 hours of playing (Got in within the minute of being able to login).

Ruins of Sescheron
Are the characters and story of the new area compelling?
Nope. From what I could tell from my group (And others in the clan/community), people only did that for the cube. It seemed like a pretty linear area. New monsters were interesting but they added nothing substantial to the Diablo story. It might as well be an irrelevant companion side quest. Of course that's what I personally felt. Others in the group might have enjoyed it.

Was there too much? Not enough?
Not enough. People got the cube, got out, did bounties, did grifts. There was no feeling of progression. No real quest. It adds nothing but a new map to the game.

How does the pacing of the new area feel?
Decently paced for what we're getting in the end (the cube). I'll admit, we were compelled to explore so we could find the cube. We went in different directions. But once we found it, then what? What's to bring me back to the area other than maybe achievements and bounties?

Even so - Brilliant job with this patch. I can't wait to see what the theory crafters come up with in terms of builds, xp routes, and max legendary per hour routes. Can't wait till it hits live.
Ruins of Sescheron - visual feedback

I really like the tileset, although the greyish snowish thing makes it reall, really, hard to enjoy the game. I tweaked the gamma settings, but it's always tiring for the eyes. And my screen is a pretty good screen.
06/30/2015 12:25 PMPosted by Nevalistis

I currently find myself doing more bounties than I used to - mostly because I actually find them even MORE rewarding now. However, I still feel (as previously stated in the previous PTR) that they could be adjusted to reset and re-randomize after so long of being in-game or perhaps after completing another task or perhaps even after finishing all of them. Currently, as it stands, I would still have to leave the game session and re-enter to refresh the bounties anew - on PTR, this is a nightmare; on live, it is bothersome as most. My personal opinion would be to give us some quest or goal to complete that would refresh the bounties in the world - within the boundaries of how many available bounties there are.

What percentage of your PTR play time do you spend in Nephalem or Greater Rifts?

When I was on the PTR today, I spent about half of my time in the normal Nephalem Rifts to obtain legendary and set items in an attempt to gain both items to use and materials to craft with - however, I ran out of Act materials before I was able to do much more, and I refused to wait the queue time - so I merely logged out completely.

Personally, I like it - changing things up and giving us some things to do rather than the same thing over and over is always welcome. It keeps my mind working and makes me think 'Okay, what do I need to do next to complete my personal goal of such and such a thing?' when I hit a point where I just sit there looking at my stuff.

PTR crafting is rather obnoxious now - many recipes were removed, and many were adjusted to require the Act materials. Unless Cursed Realms were going to be added for the bonus materials they would give us (along with the Super Reagents that were datamined), I'd suggest not using the Act materials in standard crafting. If anything, merely have them require 1-2 Forgotten Souls as they previously were. They were fine as they were in the Live servers, using Forgotten Souls as reagents.

How does the ratio of crafting materials feel? Is it more balanced or skewed toward a particular material?

The crafting material ratio that I noticed does seem better. However, due to the new system, I wasn't able to really look into a whole lot due to not really needing to craft anything on the character I was using. Regarding some certain materials, see the previous question for further information.

Ruins of Sescheron

Personally, I do like the new area rather compelling. What characters I did come across seemed quite intriguing, however there was still some sense that more could be done - especially when I came across the throne room. I wondered if there might be something that would happen there - but nothing did, so I went on my way.

When I entered the Elder Sanctum, I'd hoped for something different - but all it really seemed like was a mirror of the first section - with a slight change at the very end to have the rooms with the Cube and the throne added in. It didn't feel quite as exciting, particularly with the pacing - it seemed rushed JUST to get the Cube. Honestly... it seems almost too easy. Wasn't it supposed to be heavily guarded and kept secret on its location? It almost was like it was just... out in the open for the taking. Hmm... personally, something this powerful..

I'd rather see us have to work for it a little bit. I hate to say it, but I'd even get to the point of suggesting that a certain difficulty level (and perhaps even requiring maximum level) should be required to access the Cube quest. I say that because Kanai's Cube is supposed to be something that's to help us push through our limits as Nephalem.

But this is just my opinion.
- For now more. I simply need the new mats. However, once I've extracted all the legendary powers and have my sets ancient and complete, I'll probably won't do much bounties.

- For now very little. Needed the mats for the cube :). As I continue on ptr, I'll do more (g)rifts.

- Dunno. Have all classes at 70. Maybe i'll do s4 on ptr though.

- See previous.

Dunno, I have tons in stash... Besides you can change mat type to another type now :).

Ruins of Sescheron

- Well maybe. The throne area has an event i thing. Got message "the time is not right". Revisited it a few times but nothing...
- Enough enemies. The ones firing at you seem to do a bit too much damage.
- Good.
Bonus Cache Feedback

So me and a friend did all the bounties for the mats. We basically just went to whatever act was my bonus cache. I got 8 mats per act while my friend got 4. he wasn't getting the bonus cache until the last act we did. I'm assuming the whole time the last act which was Act 5 was his bonus cache. Seems a little counter productive to have party members having different acts for their bonus cache.

Definitely like the Crafting mat system for the bounties. Actually have a reason to do more then just Act 1. Would continue doing more bounties but since the queue time to make a new game would be longer then i care to wait will be doing rifts.
More, for no other reason than the crafting materials being needed to use many of the new features. Bounties are taking longer to complete now that boss fights are included. They still are not fun to complete, especially now that you need to do 5 per act to get any reward, so I would not want to do them any more than necessary.

So far I have only been able to do 1 bounty run of all acts and 1 Nephalem and 1 GR run, however the bounties took significantly more time to do than the rifts, so probably only about 20% was in rifts.

N/A, I played on a level 70 character. With the event XP boost paragon levels were much quicker, but this isn't really an indication of how it will be on release.

Crafting honestly feels a little more tedious now that bounty materials are required for end-game items. I feel that crafted legendary items need orange affixes in order to make them worthwhile compared to drops, especially given the fact that they are now more time-consuming to create.

It's hard to get an accurate assessment while the loot buff is up, legendary and set items were much more frequent than any other drop. I felt like due to the number of bounty specific materials required to craft and use many of the cube features, these will now be the materials that are in shortest supply. Forgotten Souls now seem to be fairly useless outside cube recipes.

Ruins of Sescheron
Honestly I didn't pay much attention to the story in the new area, but it did feel like there was very little dialog.

See above.

I didn't really like the new area much in it's current state. Since it is in Adventure mode, my quest tracker was not showing anything other than the text indicating there are no bounties in that area. I felt a bit lost in the area because of this, like I was just wandering around until I found the cube. After that I left the area because it didn't seem like there was any other reason to stay in the area.

Overall, my impression of bounties was less favorable than the current state. It was nice to see in notes that a legendary is going to be 100% drop from the Horadric Cache, and the crafting materials definitely seem like they are necessary to proceed. However, requiring all 5 bounties in an act to be completed in order to get any reward at all feels like a step backwards. Perhaps it can instead reward one crafting material for each bounty completed, with the Horadric and Bonus caches with additional materials upon full completion. Otherwise if I was to get disconnected during the process of completing bounties, even if I had done 4, it would be a total waste of time. I'd also like to see the range for quest arrows on the minimap expanded to speed up some of the bounty quests so that they all match. Currently some of them show up from well off the map, and others you have to be right on top of in order to get any indicator of where you are supposed to go. Individual bounties can take as long as an entire Greater Rift to complete just because of time spent wandering around the map.
  • Kanai's Cube
  • I enjoyed Sesheron. But it was bittersweetly short. I was expecting the area to be much, much larger, with different paths, but I won't complain. I loved the detail that was put into it, like the blood splatter of the guy at the gates at the beginning of LOD that was corpse-sploded by Baal. Nice attention to detail there.

Kanai's Cube literally came out of nowhere. There was no boss to fight as I had expected. Was this a bug? Should there have been a boss? I never ran into this "big bad unclean" guy that was mentioned in the journals.

The cube itself is a fantastic addition to the game. Though I firmly believe that many are going to be unimaginative and go straight to the "Furnace/RRoG/etc" for their setups, there are far more possibilities now for creating a functioning and well rounded character.

I am bummed about what I wanted to test---Scourge item says 45% chance per hit. But it is actually one 45% chance per cast when using spectral blade--or really anything. One magic missile using conflagration can hit multiple monsters one after another after another, but scourge can only go off once.

[edit]Same with Reflect Damage. I can be hit 5 times in one cast but I cannot proc something five times in one cast. One or the other needs to brought in line with the other.[/edit]

The costs for all of the cube recipes are right where they should be in my opinion, save for the reforge legendary cost. That one is very steep, especially with the intention of it being an "upgrade to ancient" factor. My thought is that for that price, it should be a higher chance to upgrade to an ancient.

If I'm going to burn 50 legendaries on live for only a 10% chance at getting an ancient out of my already extremely rare item, I am not going to use the option as it won't really be worth the time and effort associated. On live, 50 legendaries is at least one to a few nights of play time to gather up.

That in itself is ok, but there is still too much RNG here. A reforge can give you absolute crap rolls, or an ultimate upgrade that is so perfect it only needs a ramaladini gift to make it best. Getting crap roll after crap roll is going to be extremely irritating and debilitating.

So here's a suggestion for that.

An additional recipe should be added:

Ancientify or whatever -- Use 300 Forgotten Souls -- grants the item an ancient status. That's all it does, no reroll involved.

Legendary Reforge recipe -- Use 25 Forgotten Souls -- Can NOT remove ancient status on an ancient item, but can reroll all other stats. Still retains a 10% chance to upgrade a non-ancient to an ancient.

To reforge an ancient item with the current recipe and LOSE that ancient status is a serious slap in the face, especially if its rare, was your main piece.

With my suggestion, you can play the lottery at 25/each towards your desired item, or 300 souls for 30% boost to all stats period--perfect if your weapon already has perfect rolls.

• New & Revised Class Sets
  • Chantodo/Vyr is awful. I've made a post in the specific thread about that.

• Adventure Mode Changes
  • I like no rift keys.
    I enjoy the generic grift key, and I am very happy about the new way that this works. No more having to hold on to keys, and you only get to go as high as the lowest person in your party, which more or less forces.
    Best part? If I fail a GR40, I don't have to go get a damn trial key! Just finish/close/whatever and restart!

• Greater Rift Monsters & Guardians
  • I've only managed to get into PTR on hardcore, so I can't really tell you a bunch of input on this.

There is quite a long delay between creating games, so I've done fewer bounties than I normally would. Making the only reward for bounties the materials, and only giving them out in caches, cements split farming as the correct way to play. Bounties aren't fun (still too much searching before you actually get to start the quest) so the only reason to do them now is for the materials. Split farming gets you 300% more reward per chore, so I can't imagine anyone who knows about split farming would stay solo.

So, Bounties feel like a chore you have to work through. Increasing the reward for doing a chore doesn't make the chore itself any more fun.

Nearly all of it. Once you get in a game you can do as many rifts as you want but only 25 bounties, so most play time is spent in rifts. I like that rifts are free now. I thought it was strange that greater rifts still weren't free though. I like greater rifts because you don't have to mess with items until you kill the boss and then you get a bunch of items. It would be cool if greater rifts were free and players could play in either mode that they wanted.

I would have liked to try starting a new character and going through the normal seasonal progression, but with the wait times I had to prioritize testing the new level 70 content.

Ruins of Sescheron

The quest seemed too short maybe? I freed two new people from cages (I recognized the second one from flavor text) and killed some enemies and then found the cube at the end. It seemed kind of rushed or trivial for such a power artifact (in the lore.) I know the quest doesn't need to be too complex because we have to do it each season, but it seemed really minor when I tried it the first time.

The Ruins and the Cube really deserve a bigger quest attached to them, or the quest stages could be presented more clearly. Maybe it would benefit from being moved to story mode? You could gate the content better with quest objectives and then we'd only have to unlock it once, like with the other artisans.
    Ruins of Sescheron

The quest seemed too short maybe? I freed two new people from cages (I recognized the second one from flavor text) and killed some enemies and then found the cube at the end. It seemed kind of rushed or trivial for such a power artifact (in the lore.) I know the quest doesn't need to be too complex because we have to do it each season, but it seemed really minor when I tried it the first time.

The Ruins and the Cube really deserve a bigger quest attached to them, or the quest stages could be presented more clearly. Maybe it would benefit from being moved to story mode? You could gate the content better with quest objectives and then we'd only have to unlock it once, like with the other artisans.

Yes. The Cube not being part of campaign mode makes me scratch my head in minor confusion. Its also part of why the queue times on PTR or so horrible. Everyone is wanting adventure mode to get the cube to begin with.
    I'm doing about the same bounties. Wasn't a player who like to run endless rifts (especially GR) in the first place. I like to grid but I do not like to grid in the same place.

Very little time for NR or GR. There aren't anything "new" in those places. But Bounties are very limited because it takes 9-12 hrs to create a game and we can finish 5 acts within 1-2 hrs.

~ ~~ ~~~

I must add.

There is ONE change that MUST be added to GR.

We need an option to close GR without upgrading anything.

It's stupid to click on a 1% Gem and watch it fail 3 times. I rather not upgrade anything and not waste my time clicking on the Gem. I also prefer keeping my gems at 50 and not higher because I not into that endless rat wheel race.
    Ah, I almost forgot.

This is very important.

We have 3 types of dungeon bounties. Ones will need to go inside and travel to 2-3 levels. These have problems. Especially those that have kill all mobs on this floor.

The ones that go to kill a boss or unique is easy. Simple bounty and require some movement skills. The ones that go save or find something is okay, there are more exploration but not irritating to do. The ones that ask us to kill all mobs on this floor is stupid.

Do you guys not do these bounties in the office??

Almost every one of them have hidden mobs.

Mobs do not approach the player until I stand in that area and wait for them to ambush me... Not very fun for HC I imagine. It's better than before where now we have a indicator (if and only if we are near the location of the mob...) on the mini-map where we can see skulls when there are less than 5 mobs remaining. I have to get that last few started first. Then I have to walk the whole map again, even though I have already completed the mini-map on that floor.

If kill all mob in this zone is a bounty that must be included, please make it in the open area where we can TP to and remove any possibility of hidden mobs in these type of bounty.

I also don't get why we have to go to a zone and kill the mobs not attacking villagers. They are hiding in their caves. I find those on the open field more dangerous to human lives.
    07/01/2015 04:58 AMPosted by woohaa
    Bonus Cache Feedback

So me and a friend did all the bounties for the mats. We basically just went to whatever act was my bonus cache. I got 8 mats per act while my friend got 4. he wasn't getting the bonus cache until the last act we did. I'm assuming the whole time the last act which was Act 5 was his bonus cache. Seems a little counter productive to have party members having different acts for their bonus cache.

did a few runs and i dont understand how the bonus cache reward works in groups... ended up with like +10 mats of each but around +30 of the act 5 mat... why?

ofc more to be able to use the cube... at some point probably never again if my gear is good enough and i have all items for the cube extracted...

most of my time cuz of the queues preventing me to do more bounties or anything that needs a game restart...

played a lvl 70 wd from naked to torment 10 and it feels better cuz of the new items... less "oh yeez not again this green ****" or "oh great another thrash weapon" and so on...
    not sure yet about cube and crafting impact...

atm ive no problem with mats but i can see a possible problem with death breath and players complaining that they get not enough or that stuff costs too much...
    lets wait till 2000% buff is over...

Ruins of Sescheron

do not care that much but seems to be nice and i like variety...

edit: adventure mode rewards

crafting at blacksmith and using the cube should offer more options if you need the specific mats of each act or to use it as mat sink in general...

->better or more useful crafted items

->more depth in recipes for the cube

->maybe +X special mats in the bag for each cursed event/chest completed in that act
    Highlighting this topic of Halcyon:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/18300110067?page=1

07/01/2015 12:37 AMPosted by Halcyon
    I know for a fact that there's a bunch of jackdonkeybutts out there that are going to ruin it for everyone by just going for the boss bounties to get that magnificent chest (I am hoping that the reward is somewhat comparable on live as it is to PTR).

So lock the bounty down---make it so you can't get the chest until after ALL other bounties are complete. This way it keeps that lone jerk in the pubby game from running it without everyone else, and thus nobody else gets the loots.
    This tread looks like it needs some more feedback.

About the same. Early seasonal play generally involed quite a few bounties in order to get rift keystones. Since they are removed we will now farm for the cache mats early in the season.

It has been roughly 50/50 for Rifts/GR/Bounties. If there was no Queue, I would shift to 60% bounties / 40% rifts until I accumulated a few dozen of each new mat.

Haven't noticed much of a difference. Running all the bounties in the game feels like it should have an extra award (super bonus cache or big exp bonus)

Love most of the new changes. I do not like that crafting leg require the new mats. Early days int he PTR a crafted weapon can help a lot. With this change it will be much harder to get a usable ancient one.

Death Breaths are going to be THE problem. Yellows rain from the sky and can be converted into the other mats. The drop rate increase on Deaths breaths is noticeable but I think greater rift guardians should drop some/more.

The chest after the boss kill is an amazing addition but I fear the exploit potential that others have shared.

Most of the bounties are fine and the pitty circle timer change helps, but some of the multi level bounties are just too long. I also think key warden bounties would be an interesting addition.
    CC Nerf is going to kill Wizard class.
    My melee wizard runs 72% cooldown, and that was barely enough to hold things long enough to dish out damage. That's without an aether walker, using frost nova and black hole.

Now she can barely hold anything it seems.

This is the exact same wizard that you guys ruined by killing CM, and it took 2 years to get her 'style' of build to the point where it was almost comparable to what she was when she was a CM Wizard. And now you're killing her again. Swear its like you guys have a vendetta against my wizards in particular or something.
    Bug report
    Plagued tunnels don't exist in a5 westmarch commons
    More, but only because I have to in order to get the Act-specific mats. Rather than have them in the Horadric Caches at the end, I think you should get a guaranteed Act-specific one per Act bounty.

While I find bounties super-tedious still and dislike feeling railroaded into it, bounties are so unrewarding in 2.2 outside of the RoRG that this PTR is the first time I ever encountered the Wickerman bounty, which was actually kind of interesting. If there were a selection of super-unique new bosses like this in bounties (with commensurate loot rewards), I might play them. This might be an opportunity to merge the uber system with the bounty system. The Diabolic Hoards are a great idea.

Only about 30% right now because I've been trying out the bounties and ubers.

I am still playing around with my endgame character, so Paragon feels the same as it ever was and I fight for my items, rather than crafting them. Hellfire Amulets are still disappointing despite being socketed by default. However, I do feel like starting a new character, so I might post here again.

I saw that Act-specific materials were now necessary to craft certain legendaries, which I have to say perplexed me. Are you just trying to railroad people into bounties? Is the intent here to deter solo players from starting (or make it more difficult for them to start) new characters at high difficulty levels? If you were to go with a system of one guaranteed Act-specific mat per Act bounty (or even drop the rate to as low as 50% for Normal difficulty), it might be a compromise that forces a person to at least show they can play the content but not require them to beat up to all 25 bounties in a game simply to craft a legendary / set they need / want.

Again, I'll give more feedback if I start a player on PTR, and I feel compelled to do so.
    For endgame players, I could see Death's Breaths becoming a bottleneck, although I think the game is still pretty balanced in terms of the drop rate. The mats below Death's Breath are now even more useless to endgame players. What about a Cube recipe that converts Veiled Crystals to Death's Breaths, even at a lopsided ratio?

Ruins of Sescheron
    The story / idea is compelling. I didn't notice the D2LoD cinematic tie-in, but others have pointed it out. More D2 fanservice would be good, especially perhaps in some unique battles. For example, why not immortalize the series of elites that D2 folks are so familiar with from the Baal boss battle pre-show? A "Ghosts of the Worldstone" sort of feel? Something like that?

Sescheron needs a boss, badly. I felt like I waltzed right in and took the cube; it feels too easy. Rather than two exploratory areas, I feel like there should be four; put a small area after each of the exploratory areas in which you have a forced boss / unique encounter, and at the end of the fourth area boss battle you get Kanai's Cube. My very first act on PTR was to start a game on T10 and waltz in and take the Cube; this cheapens it to me, even despite its obvious in-game advantages.

Also, while, I just happened to run into Garon (at least I think that was the unique's name), I've heard many players complain they never ran into him. The arrangement of the area should force you to encounter the Unclean, and perhaps putting him as a sub-boss in that second area or making an Unclean encounter in that second area might make it feel more integrated.

I really liked the Northern hunting parties encounter -- nonstop battle. Honestly, I really play D3 just for the combat. This patch is on its way to turning D3 into less of a Kadala-RNG fest (please, please deep-six Kadala and blood shards!). I like overall the changes that increase the variety of monsters you kill, increase the variety of ways in which you can kill monsters, and, most of all, make killing super-strong unique monsters more rewarding.

Closing note to community managers and devs: Thanks so much for putting effort into a non-subscription game. I took a hiatus of maybe a year from this game altogether before coming back at Reaper of Souls. This patch, on balance, makes me feel rewarded for my continuing to come back to the game. Sorry to all readers if this sounds like brown-nosing, but I intend it as encouragement and feedback.
    06/30/2015 04:41 PMPosted by InsanelySane
    More. If que times weren't long, my group would have most definitely done more bounties. The materials for kanai's being the main factor.

Same for me here, the queue and not recreating games really puts a damper here (also not being able to swap characters).

I will add it seems the bounty xp doesn't scale very well vs T6. It hardly seems increased at all. Not sure if that is a bug or what, but for 20 greater rift level equivalents, I was unimpressed and I hope it gets bumped up.

Also, we need to have the leg drop rate normalized between rifts and bounties so they feel less rewarding.

Also can we get wardens to be a 100% drop on T10?

BTW thanks for key conversion to machine from what we had in inventory.