My Top 5 Problems With This Game

General Discussion
First off I want to say I LOVE this game. I'm not bashing on it, I play hours upon hours since launch day and still do.

But I just want to point out the things that frustrate me in hopes that maybe people agree and blizzard will take these considerations to heart.

1) Pushing Greater Rifts

When pushing greater rifts, it shouldn't be about praying to the RNG gods. Meaning that when you try to push for the highest GR to climb the leaderboards, I see most streamers and myself included, just leaving the GR when they get a combination of unwanted/undesired monsters/elites/rift guardians. It shouldn't be about leaving a GR until you get zombie rift with Stonesinger with the best pylons.

Progression should go along with the difficulty of the mobs. Now that might be difficult to balance since some mobs effect other classes differently, but there needs to be some sort of balance. Mobs that just stand there like zombies shouldn't have such high progression in a GR compared to things that move fast or have special skills or stuns (Winged Assassin/Exorcist/Armaddon).

2) Unavoidable Damage

Blizzard's reasons for adding unavoidable damage was to set a middle ground between characters that tank, and characters that stack damage and ignore toughness. So they added a small percentage of enemy attacks that are completely unavoidable (Jailer, Vortex, Frozen, Reflect). Characters with low toughness and high damage will need to raise toughness to compete on the same ground with characters that have high toughness was the original thought. You keep dying then just get more toughness.

But these affixes completely ignore the game mechanics of toughness at a high enough greater rift. And so with how HP scales with greater rifts, damage is more important than toughness to complete a GR.

But how is instantaneous and cannot be dodged affixes be challenging or fun? While reflect and frozen are somewhat avoidable, they are annoying, they are overpowered, they can destroy a whole party of highly geared players in a second. Why can frozen do both retarded damage and freeze you? Not to mention cover the whole map/screen? How can reflect kill a super hardcore zdps tank with no damage? Got a conduit pylon, great move as fast as you can, run into a reflect pack, now you're dead. If one mob is stunned then they will use reflect at different times and is difficult to stop attacking when you have lots of aoe damage so just don't attack at all?

Bottom line is that, these affixes are NOT fun, are NOT challenging. However they ARE annoying, frustrating, and NEED to be nerfed. At least give us a change to dodge/avoid it.

3) Set Equality

Why in every class is there one clear best set? Every patch, blizzard just buffs the old unwanted sets and make them ridiculously strong so that the previous sets are useless now. Why can't you balance it so that they are at least fairly on par with each other?

If they were balanced or roughly equal, then someone has the option to test/tryout different builds to fit there play style or to build around an ancient weapon they got, things like that. It would promote more game play.

4) PTR

Many people (myself included) say that PTR is more fun than the actual game. That should NOT be the case. While I understand things need to be tested before launch, it shouldn't be made public, maybe just allow people who have made it onto the leaderboards to test it or something like that but it needs to be changed. Maybe instead of having items drop like candy, just have all items available to test or something like that. It seems like the first half the season in fun and exciting, then second half of the season is boring and dead because everyone is on the PTR.

5) Group Play vs Solo Play

I prefer to play solo but in order to climb the leaderboards, I have to play in groups to get a higher chance to upgrade my legendary gems, to get more exp, to get more mf. While I believe group play should be more beneficial than solo play, it shouldn't be a MUST to play in groups.

Honorable Mention - Elites at Greater Rift Entrance

While this isn't a huge concern for me, it is considerably annoying if you're a ranged class. You enter a greater rift, but before you can even apply your buffs, you can attacked by a ghost mob with reflect, arcane, and frozen. You cannot kite, you have no where to run back to and the little ground you have to work with is now covered with frozen ice shards and arcane beams. You run forward and try to skip, but you run into another elite pack and now you have to deal with 2 packs, I can't even imagine how frustrating this would be to hardcore players.
Considering how much some of you play this game, why doesn't anyone post the top 5 things they love about Diablo 3?

Or is the internet just for complaining?
07/10/2015 09:37 AMPosted by dchangg
First off I want to say I LOVE this game.

By listing the things you hate about it........? Your girlfriend must be super lucky.
I still think the biggest underlying problem for the game is the lack of control over our characters. While I love the frequent item infusions from patches and Seasons, it really presents a problem for actually getting a decent set of gear together. Blizzard has yet to realize that the fun of the game comes from playing around with those sets and legendary items rather than spending eons waiting to acquire them.
Blizzard is addressing #1 and #2 in the patch, the change in monster damage and affixes may reduce some of your issues of RNG and unavoidable damages. I hear RD is still a pain, however. More difficult monsters (based on RNG) will advance you more in the Greater Rift than lesser monsters.

I agree with the "find one set to rule them all" issue. I would prefer to see 5 different sets with similiar damage outputs but different styles of play, with the only variance being the level of gear you roll. Some sets can be defensive, some offensive. But defensive sets should be equal and the same for offensive. Majority of players will instantly salvage anything that is not the "best" tier gear. Then we end up all running with the same gear on. At the end of the day, Same gear = no build diversity.

I know that we all have choices and we don't have to equip the best gear. Ever try going into a public greater rift with not the top tier choices? Either people leave or they kick you. I'm all for more balance to help improve diversity, which adds more fun. right now I feel like I can only run with two sets and specific skills in order to be accepted in group play.
07/10/2015 10:00 AMPosted by BurningRope
why doesn't anyone post the top 5 things they love about Diablo 3?

My D3 love list:
1) Combat is extremely satisfying when you blow things up left, right and center.
2) Dungeons have an exit stone at the end. Makes it easy to exit and finish clearing the outside zone.
3) Auto pickup of gold makes things a lot easier than the previous Diablo games where you have to click every stinkin' thing.
4) Clan feature that shows all the items your clan is finding without having to link it in chat is nice but can sometimes be demoralizing depending on what people are finding that you are not.
5) 2-4 on this list was pretty much a stretch because outside of the combat, this game offers very little in my personal opinion.
07/10/2015 11:20 AMPosted by gudmugly
5) 2-4 on this list was pretty much a stretch because outside of the combat, this game offers very little in my personal opinion.

Except for the hundreds and hundreds of hours you sank into the game in 2015?

All those hours, all that fun, and you cannot seriously think of 5 god damn things you love/like about the game?

How about ; It keeps you playing for hundreds, even thousands of hours.
07/10/2015 11:40 AMPosted by BurningRope

All those hours, all that fun, and you cannot seriously think of 5 god damn things you love/like about the game?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it in brief spurts throughout the game's life from original release thru to RoS. But I've taken several breaks in between, not because I didn't want to play but because I couldn't stand to play. I want to love this game more than any other game in existence but the love is not there. I'm sorry. :(

edit: I did not make my post to start a dispute with anyone so I will ask the same of you.

What are the top 5 things that you love about D3?
Blizz really needs to hunker down and decide that, say, GR100 is max and then approach the affix economy from there. Basically, if you want a good chance at GR100, you need perfectly rolled Ancients in every slot. Personal skill may afford you a bit of wiggle room, but this is mainly to help determine when enough is enough it comes to overall DPS and unavoidable damage.

Of course, I'd take things further in helping people get to this point, but I've done that enough that someone's probably seen it elsewhere already. So, when/if the majority start capping out, that's when you begin entertaining a cap increase/expansion to basically start the cycle anew.
07/10/2015 10:20 AMPosted by JackLondon
the change in monster damage and affixes may reduce some of your issues of RNG

This will never contribute to the solution to "RNG". It just increased the GR that those issues become a problem again. 70 is the new 55 or whatever you want to put it at for the future. There is no solution to this because the developers(or their executives) don't want this. Not a solution to RNG or class balance.

Inflated damage, inflated hp, deflated damage, deflated hp, for mobs or players, all the same nonsense. It's designed the same way the game is being pushed. Every 3 months move the goalpost to get people interested and alleviate its problems. That power creep along with oscillating the best builds/classes is how the game is being developed.

If they wanted class balance they can just tweak numbers of current top builds, get it in the ballpark, then move to the different existing sets. Instead of changing set abilities and adding more set items they can change (ie) 100 weapon damage to 1000, especially better is changing the value of certain skills.

The problem with this is it doesn't get or keep as many butts in the seats, so to speak. People feeling their chars are more powerful is really a higher motivation than class balance. Making barb and monk best for 1 season, then dh and wiz the next, and so on. It creates the illusion of progress to more people than class balance does. It also gets people more excited than having a static power level that all classes' power level conforms to.

Current grift design is very numbers based so it's pretty easy to get class balance if that's what they actually wanted. Class balance doesn't keep peoples' attention, though.
07/10/2015 11:40 AMPosted by BurningRope

To be honest, you seem like a complainer.