Dear Blizzard - Leaderboards clarified by Blue!

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Highly Rated
The non-Seasonal Greater Rift Leaderboard will be unaffected by the end of Season and you’ll still be able to compete on them with your non-Seasonal heroes (including those who have just rolled over). These Leaderboards will be reset at a later date; we’ll have more information available as the end of the Era draws nearer!

This deserves another thread.

What is the philosophy with leaderboards ? I know one of the developers stated in a tavern talk they "don't care about leaderboards" and it was also stated that balancing was not based on leaderboard performance. So why have it ? Why have it RANKED against players? Why not just have a time trial against yourself without ranks ? I don't understand.

I really am curious because every season there is some special surprise near the end of the season / Era, WHATEVER.

It's absolutely ridiculous that there is zero consistency and zero warning for these changes.

Actually it's pretty ridiculous that the simple concept of locking both seasonal and non seasonal leaderboards at the same time is beyond the grasp of this game. Does it not make sense?

It completely invalidates months of accomplishments from players that care about their "ranking" on leaderboards, as stupid as that sounds. But everyone plays the game for different reasons.

Before anyone jumps on me and calls me out for being butt hurt about possibly losing my #1 rank, I will point you in the direction of the actual events that happened in the past, that I am baffled at the level of consistency from Blizzard, and that while YES it does affect myself in a format that I care about, I know it is a clear sign of something that is wrong with the direction Blizzard's team is taking for leaderboards. I am sure you can all agree with the facts, even if you don't care about leaderboards or any kind of ranked play.

Let me recap what Blizzard has handed us in the past.

Season 1
Introduce game breaking patch near end of Season 1, new changes completely alters leaderboards and invalidates 5+ months of achievements from players

Season 2
Blizzard realizes mistakes from Season 1 and plan on closing and locking seasonal and non seasonal leaderboards together. Blizzard closes non seasonal leaderboards ONE DAY EARLY with zero notice and zero accountability after the fact.

Season 3
Blizzard plans to close seasonal leaderboards, but allow non seasonal leaderboards to remain open. This allows seasonal players to combine their progress and achievements and gear with their non seasonal accounts to compete on the non seasonal leaderboards.

I can't believe after 18 months, that no one at Blizzard has figured out what to do with leaderboards yet.

Blizz states more news to come ? I look forward to it.

Aug 11, 2015 update:

Q: When are the non-Seasonal Leaderboards being wiped?

A: Non-Seasonal Leaderboards are tied to what we call “Eras.” We currently anticipate the next wipe to coincide with the transition to Season 4, although this may not be the case for future Seasons.

Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19824753/first-look-season-4-8-11-2015

From what I am reading it sounds like the patch will be released sometime in the 1 week between season 3 and season 4.

Allowing the patch before the leaderboard lock for non seasons is just plain idiocy. (refer to season 1 debacle)

"May not be the case for future seasons" is just icing on the cake.

Some clarification would be nice.

****UPDATE**** AUG 11, 2015

Tyvalir 5 hours ago
@Boozor: Ah, I see what you're getting at now.

1) S3 / E3 end and their Leaderboards lock at the same time
- E4 also starts at this point and its Leaderboard opens

2) Patch launches

3) S4 launches and its Leaderboard opens

Does that make more sense?

Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19842943/season-3-ending-soon-8-7-2015

Looks like blue clarified my question. The original announcement was misleading. This is good news well done =)
Is the chief decision maker at Blizzard on summer holiday or something?

Is a chimp calling the shots atm?
+1

Game offers no ROI at all anymore. It's clear it's one of the last priorities. Quite sad if you ask me but nothing done about botting/constant unfathomable decisions one after another has led to many people uninstalling this game for good. As it stands I'll be joining the masses come 2.3. Another piss poor attempt and execution on Blizzards part.
Okay, here goes...I don't know WTF is going on with this development team, or whatever the hell they call themselves. I'm assuming in allowing seasonal players to destroy all of us loyal non-seasonal players' leader board ranks is simply because it's easier for the dev team, in some way shape or form.

Get it together Blizz. I can't tell you how incredibly hard I grinded for my (now #22) solo NS wiz ranking (and have been holding off to push higher until right before the era ends, like many others). Now all these botting S.O.B.s are going to come over and crush our records with their seasonal only gear?!?!?

Swear to god, might just quit. Disappointment, after disappointment.
Not right at all. The seasonal players got months to farm the seasonal only items with near perfect stats and the NS people will have to spend weeks if not months looking for the same items due to the horrible random RNG system. Lock it and start fresh and this is coming from somone not even on the leaderboards for now anyway.
08/07/2015 12:10 PMPosted by Mathias
Get it together Blizz. I can't tell you how incredibly hard I grinded for my (now #22) solo NS wiz ranking (and have been holding off to push higher until right before the era ends, like many others). Now all these botting S.O.B.s are going to come over and crush our records with their seasonal only gear?!?!?

Well there are plenty of bots on both NS and seasons.

It's just that those seasonal players will combine their seasonal paragons with their account paragons and then be even better equipped to beat your ranking.

Any builds that are powered by seasonal gear will put non seasonal players out of the conversation for rankings. Example. Obsiden ring for Barbs.

RIP Mathias

08/07/2015 12:01 PMPosted by Junger
Is a chimp calling the shots atm?

Banana banana !
Non-season players has double the amout of paragons then seasons do if you cant beat season chars at end of season then your doing something wrong , cuz its all about paragons atm
http://im.ezgif.com/tmp/49be4106e3.gif

I don't know why there's an issue every single Era/Season.

Every. Single. Time.

Literally.

As Boozor already detailed, Era 1 was bad. New patch with changes basically dumped dirt on all player accomplishments up to that point. Bad. Players made it clear that it was bad.

Era 2 ended a day before its officially stated end time. Simple big question marks there, but at least it wasn't as horrible as Era 1. Still bad. Craps on all the players strategically waiting to make the last minute frantic push at the top spots.

Now Era 3 is going the path of Era 1. Basically instead of crapping on all players, it's crapping on all Non-Season players. For what reason is it logical to allow two distinctly different game modes to combine, where only players from ONE of them gets to benefit?

Every single Era we ask, "Why not end Eras and Seasons when the new patch launches?"

Hell, end it earlier. I'm sure a few days of downtime can do everyone some good.

I don't get it. I really don't. And I really don't even want to think about it anymore. It just doesn't make sense every single damn time. Three times already.

08/07/2015 12:35 PMPosted by Killstepz
Non-season players has double the amout of paragons then seasons do if you cant beat season chars at end of season then your doing something wrong , cuz its all about paragons atm

Lol. Another player who talks about leaderboards and high level play but has no idea of what it's really like.
This is the state the game as fallen in to....

When your name with a number next to it is the end game.

Pathetic...
Here's a novel idea...play the season to get the uniques. Go back to NS. Wait for season to finish. Run Grift. Profit.

If you are telling me that it's that difficult to obtain any unique in this game, unless you are hunting down that 99% roll Ancient (which is all luck anyway), then you are just being lazy. You can be power leveled in 30 minutes, and geared in another hour or two. Obsidian rings basically fall from the sky.

What do you expect them to do? Put NS leaderboards on hold for 3 months, let NS players catch up, then re-open them? By then we will be into s5....and if that's the case, you may as well just be playing seasons anyway.

I really, really dont know what you expect here.
04/02/2015 01:18 PMPosted by Tyvalir
Era 2 will be ending alongside Season 2 on Sunday, April 5. Era 3 will begin immediately afterward, while Season 3 is expected to begin on Friday, April 10.

This was from last Era.

Everything was fine and dandy with how that one ended aside from it actually ending a day earlier than posted.

Do the same for this Era (except actually have it end was officially stated). Just replace the dates with appropriate ones.

Done.

Nothing complex.
08/07/2015 12:56 PMPosted by Dracarys
Here's a novel idea...play the season to get the uniques. Go back to NS. Wait for season to finish. Run Grift. Profit.

That's not novel at all. In fact, that's the dumbest idea ever.
What do you expect them to do? Put NS leaderboards on hold for 3 months, let NS players catch up, then re-open them? By then we will be into s5....and if that's the case, you may as well just be playing seasons anyway.

What are you talking about...

Just close the boards at the SAME time. Release the patch at the SAME time. Release new season at the SAME time.

Having a staggered date makes ZERO sense.

If you are telling me that it's that difficult to obtain any unique in this game, unless you are hunting down that 99% roll Ancient (which is all luck anyway), then you are just being lazy. You can be power leveled in 30 minutes, and geared in another hour or two. Obsidian rings basically fall from the sky.

Fair enough, gear that is easy to find is easy to find. But maybe you are unlucky ? Maybe you don't have the optimal rolls ? Either way, this puts a harst dead line on players to farm these items while seasonal players already have them, and 4 months to find a good one on top of that. In the meantime, rolled over leaderboard players continue ranking up while non seasonal players are searching for said item.

Makes sense that it is an unfair advantage.

08/07/2015 12:55 PMPosted by NeoRizer
This is the state the game as fallen in to....

When your name with a number next to it is the end game.

Pathetic...

If you are content with how blizzard handles something as well advertised as "leaderboards" in this game, then you have some piss poor standards.

You can replace the subject of the matter to anything that you care about.

The issue is their lack of consistency, notice, direction, etc. Not limited to JUST leaderboards.

I really, really dont know what you expect here.

Yet another person stating this without any of the highest level leaderboard play experience. You're failing to grasp the point here.

I'll attempt to be patient so I'll briefly explain. Simple concept of ending two distinctly different leaderboards at the same time so one (Season) does not flood into the other (Non-Season) with tools unavailable to Non-Season players.

And yes, people who play for the top spots gun for the 99% perfect items. If you don't think that's the case, that's pure naivety. Five days (or whatever it is) is simply not enough time. Why else do you think players specifically wait until the end of an Era to make their final push for the leaderboard spots? Because if they can snipe the top spots with mere days or hours left, it doesn't give their competitors enough time to overtake them. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't know that's the strategy.
08/07/2015 01:06 PMPosted by Jaetch
Yet another person stating this without any of the highest level leaderboard play experience. You're failing to grasp the point here.

Nope you're right, I am not at the top. I also don't bot or use THUD like 90% of the players in the top.

To your actual point...it's a week. Guess what? If those seasonal players really, really want to take your top spot, they would. If you pause both leaderboards, and restart them at the same time, what's to stop someone that played season from just running a few grifts with their new uniques? If you say because you can farm that top end item in a week....well then should've just done it in season anyway.

And you're right...I don't even understand NS leaderboards. So they actually have an end? WTF is the point of that? It's not a season. Why does it ever end? Seems to me you should just play seasons if you don't want a continuous leader board.
08/07/2015 01:33 PMPosted by Dracarys
If you say because you can farm that top end item in a week....well then should've just done it in season anyway.
But this affects NS, because the top 1% might not be able to farm the best seasonal item in that time & compete for the #1 spot. Whereas some seasonal player who already has all the items required spends the entire time fishing for the right rift and then pounces.
08/07/2015 01:33 PMPosted by Dracarys
And you're right...I don't even understand NS leaderboards. So they actually have an end? WTF is the point of that? It's not a season. Why does it ever end? Seems to me you should just play seasons if you don't want a continuous leader board.

Yes, NS LB is called an Era and it also has an end. The idea is so you don't have to start from scratch every season and rebuild your whole character. Lots of people don't like that idea or they simply don't have the time to invest in something like that.

Honestly, I play seasons like you do, and even I think this is totally unfair for NS players. This is just a total mess up from Blizz's end (and it's already happened twice before). If you have 2 separate LB's then shut them down at the same time so one does not overtake the other. It's such a simple thing to implement. Just makes no sense.
08/07/2015 12:42 PMPosted by Jaetch
As Boozor already detailed, Era 1 was bad. New patch with changes basically dumped dirt on all player accomplishments up to that point. Bad. Players made it clear that it was bad.

Era 2 ended a day before its officially stated end time. Simple big question marks there, but at least it wasn't as horrible as Era 1. Still bad. Craps on all the players strategically waiting to make the last minute frantic push at the top spots.

Now Era 3 is going the path of Era 1. Basically instead of crapping on all players, it's crapping on all Non-Season players. For what reason is it logical to allow two distinctly different game modes to combine, where only players from ONE of them gets to benefit?

Every single Era we ask, "Why not end Eras and Seasons when the new patch launches?"

I am glad I saw this thread because I am exacly fighting with this and I am so flustrated I really want to quit. Game is AWSOME but non-season leaderbords are rookie misstakes one after another. Blizzard in era 1 said thay dodnt want to do to many things at the same time thats why era closed month later. Wow are there banch of students only working? How even can you confess such high level of unproffecionalizm. (we will %&&% your months of effort because we are uncertain what we are doing) After misstakes from era 1 and 2 they said they learn their lesson and will now always end era with major patch. And what happend?
so that they have less responsibility in ensuring "fairness" for seasons....all in the name of good fun!
Boozor
View profile

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!