Will this get me banned?

General Discussion
I use Razer gear and as such it comes with macro support, when I see a shrine I click Alt+R (My Macro Hotkey) which moves my mouse over my Nemesis Bracers and right clicks, then I click the shrine and click Alt+R again which moves the mouse over my original bracers and right clicks. Essentially the macro moves mouse to xx.xx coords and right clicks.
Technically yes, but you probably wont honestly.
Yes, and it probably will.
Yes, but Blizzard hasn't been banning anyone for over 5 months and many of them are very blatant and has been reported many times. This game has so few players now that Blizzard barely cares about these things anymore.
07/09/2015 11:21 PMPosted by Ricstar
Yes, but Blizzard hasn't been banning anyone for over 5 months and many of them are very blatant and has been reported many times. This game has so few players now that Blizzard barely cares about these things anymore.

That's not something either you or I could substantiate. They do random sweeps, with large anti-botting measures a few times annually. Between that, we aren't privy to how often people get banned.

This game has hundreds of thousands of players daily...btw. It seems as active as it ever has.

When it comes to botting and macros, we heard the same thing with D2 that we hear with D3. Players acting like they don't do anything about it, acting with a sense of smug impunity, and then ....BM...tons of people get purged and the landslide of crying starts.

One of the reasons why we don't hear about random macro bans here, on the forums, is because if your game account gets banned, so does your account here.

Be safe. It's not a matter of if, but when.
People use to have gear swapping macros a lot in Vanilla to switch to MF gear before a kill. They were not banned, they just removed MF instead.

More than likely you won't be banned for doing something that simple, despite the complete nonsense doomsaying above. It doesn't even offer you any significant advantage. Technically it is a violation of the ToS, but so is TurboHUD and they still haven't banned anyone for that in over 3 years or so despite the clear advantages it offers (which are several orders of magnitude beyond the simple macro you're using).
07/09/2015 11:44 PMPosted by Borg
despite the complete nonsense doomsaying above.

Nevertheless, if you value your account, don't do it, it is not allowed.
More than likely you won't be banned for doing something that simple, despite the complete nonsense doomsaying above.

Go ahead then. Encourage others to break rules which may result in account closure. Real cool. If people could be bothered to just play the game without the tricks, they won't have to worry.

Sure, you can get away with it.....for 6 months....a year. But I'm not risking my account for a few extra button pushes.

People use to have gear swapping macros a lot in Vanilla to switch to MF gear before a kill. They were not banned, they just removed MF instead.

Yes. Yes there were. We had many bans for macros posted here on peoples alt accounts.

But that's just more "nonsense", huh?
Good news is the new cube in 2.3 would allow you to put the nems on while having your favorite bracers remain equipped. :)

For your questions they will never admit to not banning someone for it. They will stick to black and white by their rules from what I've read in posts.

I think there is a gray area though... Fixing latency issues when pressing key, seeing it press on screen and doing nothing. Setting a macro to press said key multiple times to make it work is a fix to a disadvantage. Setting a repeater key for button mashing builds to avoid carpal tunnel is a fix to your own personal well being. lol.. If I was banned for something trivial I would not waste money on future games IMO.

Writing a macro to automate your game play to a point of a play advantage I think they will be all over that. Even though it doesn't really affect players much aside from leaderboards or cheating in a game with PvP that D3 doesn't really have a good implementation for. Back in the day when I had local games on my PC and hacked a save game file there was no penalty. What this world has come to. :-P
07/09/2015 11:52 PMPosted by BurningRope
More than likely you won't be banned for doing something that simple, despite the complete nonsense doomsaying above.

Go ahead then. Encourage others to break rules which may result in account closure. Real cool. If people could be bothered to just play the game without the tricks, they won't have to worry.

Sure, you can get away with it.....for 6 months....a year. But I'm not risking my account for a few extra button pushes.

Yes. Yes there were. We had many bans for macros posted here on peoples alt accounts.

But that's just more "nonsense", huh?

Yes, your post before and this one here are both nonsense. You're stating your own personal opinion of what you think should happen, but reality and what you want are two different things.

As I said, it could technically be viewed as against the ToS since it's very open ended so they can essentially ban you for anything they want and don't even have to explain it to you or defend their decision if they choose to do so. Using a third party program to do something that you can't normally do in game is against a rule, but it's a rule that's only enforced in more extreme circumstances.

Many thousands of people use simple quality of life macros in practically every online game in existence without being banned. Nobody was banned in Vanilla for using gear swapping macros. They were banned for botting, duping gold when blizzard messed up the AH in a patch, or other serious offenses, but not gear swap macros.

Oh, and btw, blizzard officially posted on gear swap macros in Vanilla.

http://www.diabloii.net/blog/comments/blizzard-updates-on-magic-find-and-gear-swapping-issues

edit: the actual blue post still exists here:
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6009371708#17

They didn't ban people for them, you just wished they had and decided to claim that it actually happened. It didn't.
07/10/2015 12:10 AMPosted by Borg
Yes, your post before and this one here are both nonsense. You're stating your own personal opinion of what you think should happen, but reality and what you want are two different things.

The reality is that using macros isn't allowed. Full stop.

As I said, it could technically be viewed as against the ToS since it's very open ended so they can essentially ban you for anything they want and don't even have to explain it to you or defend their decision if they choose to do so.

There's nothing 'technical' about it, it's clear as Canadian spring water, and, no, they can't ban you for anything they want, not it they want to stay out of court.
07/10/2015 12:15 AMPosted by Vresiberba

The reality is that using macros isn't allowed. Full stop.

As I said, it could technically be viewed as against the ToS since it's very open ended so they can essentially ban you for anything they want and don't even have to explain it to you or defend their decision if they choose to do so.

There's nothing 'technical' about it, it's clear as Canadian spring water, and, no, they can't ban you for anything they want, not it they want to stay out of court.

/yawn

They didn't ban people for gear swap macros. You are wrong.

http://www.diabloii.net/blog/comments/blizzard-updates-on-magic-find-and-gear-swapping-issues

They didn't ban people for them, you just wished they had and decided to claim that it actually happened. It didn't.

Yeah, uhm, gear swap ≠ macro.
07/10/2015 12:18 AMPosted by Vresiberba

Oh please, you don't honestly think they are talking about people opening their inventories manually and right clicking on a dozen different pieces of gear to manually swap their gear just before a mob dies...

They knew people used macros to gear swap for MF. They didn't ban people for it. They ultimately decided it was too significant an advantage and killed it off as a possibility. They didn't ban anyone for it.

They also won't ban you for swapping to nem bracers for a shrine. Some people have done that since it was possible. Most don't bother because it's insignificant.

Edit: If they thought gear swapping or gear swapping macros (two things that tend to go hand-hand because it's too tedious otherwise) they would simply not allow you to gear swap in combat or even out of town at all.

You know, like they already have the tech for and use to prevent you from swapping gear in Grifts.
07/10/2015 12:21 AMPosted by Borg
07/10/2015 12:18 AMPosted by Vresiberba

Oh please, you don't honestly think they are talking about people opening their inventories manually and right clicking on a dozen different pieces of gear to manually swap their gear just before a mob dies...

That's EXACTLY what they are, notice the distinct lack of anything even resembling automation or macros in that post. You DID read the post you're referring to, yes?

They also won't ban you for swapping to nem bracers for a shrine.

Of-bloody-course they won't! There's nothing in the legal documentation that forbids it.

Jesus, man...
07/10/2015 12:25 AMPosted by Vresiberba

That's EXACTLY what they are, notice the distinct lack of anything even resembling automation or macros in that post. You DID read the post you're referring to, yes?

They also won't ban you for swapping to nem bracers for a shrine.

Of-bloody-course they won't! There's nothing in the legal documentation that forbids it.

Jesus, man...

Yes I did, but unlike you, I understand that gear swapping and gear swapping macros go hand in hand.

You're not going to manually change numerous pieces of gear just before mobs die. You don't get it. They understood that too. They understood that gear swapping macros were primarily how gear swapping was done.

They didn't ban people for it.

Just because you think the ToS are burned in stone by a divine force and strictly enforced does not mean that is reality. It isn't. You're wrong. Still.
07/10/2015 12:29 AMPosted by Borg
07/10/2015 12:25 AMPosted by Vresiberba

Jesus, man...

Yes I did, but unlike you, I understand that gear swapping and gear swapping macros go hand in hand.

Irrelevant. The post and the thread you linked to are about swapping gear which had been discussed for years up until that point. This is because people were doing it in Diablo 2 to fish for Unique items and it was regarded by Blizzard as a non-intuitive way to maximise item acquisition. This is by the way why MF was removed in the end because Blizzard didn't want to lock the gear into place and they instead just raised the drop rates.

They didn't ban people for it.

If they did or not, to which both you and I are not privy to, is completely and utterly irrelevant. IT IS NOT ALLOWED!

Just because you think the ToS are burned in stone by a divine force and strictly enforced does not mean that is reality.

Irrelevant. It's in the legal documentation because they have full discretion to put it there. While Blizzard can't break local law with their ToS, they CAN and eventually WILL terminate your account if you violate the rules and there's not a judge on this planet that will force Blizzard to reinstate it or reimburse you for it, they will laugh your ash out of court, seven day of the week.

So to anyone, especially the OP, if you value your account, don't violate the ToS.
07/10/2015 12:41 AMPosted by Vresiberba
Irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant at all. The question was "will I be banned for using a gear swapping macro" you and the other one gave generic nonsense answers of "it's against the almighty rules! of course you will be!"

You were both wrong.

I gave a legitimate answer. More than likely, no, you will not be banned for using a simple gear swap macro to switch bracers before and after touching a shrine. It is technically a violation of the terms of service, but so are a lot of things that they either silently ignore or even publicly stated they didn't action. For example, DarkD3 or whatever it was called was a clear violation of the ToS as it was a 3rd party program, yet Jay Wilson publicly acknowledged they didn't action people for its use.

Blizzard allows the use of macros for multiboxing among other things. They tend to state that one button press should result in one action per client. Even by that more specific standard, a gear swapping macro of one item is essentially one action. Technically you may be opening the inventory and then clicking on an item, but again, it's trivial and not harming anyone, they likely do not care. They didn't even care when people used a macro to change several pieces of gear rapidly.

I could also point out again the fact that blizzard has taken no action against turbohud users for several years now, but you'd probably try to claim I don't know that. I have no definitive statement from them that they haven't, but being at least mildly intelligent, I know that they have not taken any major action against any remotely significant number of turbohud users as there would be some evidence that they had if they had. There would be mass complaints on reddit or other sites, even if they made no public statement that they had banned people for its use.

While I understand that you want the "legal documentation" to be the ultimate rule of the land and the ultimate source of all knowledge of right and wrong, it's not that simple and there's plenty of examples to show that it is not that black and white.
07/10/2015 12:55 AMPosted by Borg
07/10/2015 12:41 AMPosted by Vresiberba
Irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant at all. The question was "will I be banned for using a gear swapping macro" you and the other one gave generic nonsense answers of "it's against the almighty rules! of course you will be!"

Except I didn't say that he would be banned, I said; "if you value your account, don't do it, it is not allowed.", which is 100% correct since macros involves automation and is strictly forbidden to use.

I gave a legitimate answer. More than likely, no, you will not be banned for using a simple gear swap macro to switch bracers before and after touching a shrine.

That's the opposite of 'legitimate' since you're guessing and giving advice to someone who might get his account banned.

It is technically a violation of the terms of service

No, it's strictly not allowed.

Blizzard allows the use of macros for multiboxing among other things.

No, they do not, they allow 'multiboxing' (which is so far an undefined term) because you can't ban someone for playing multiple accounts at the same time. You are however NOT allowed to automate tasks, ever.

I could also point out again the fact that blizzard has taken no action against turbohud users for several years now

Irrelevant. Neither you nor I KNOW whether they have or not, and we most certainly don't KNOW why, either way.

While I understand that you want the "legal documentation" to be the ultimate rule of the land and the ultimate source of all knowledge of right and wrong.

Unfortunately for you, it is.
Edit: If they thought gear swapping or gear swapping macros (two things that tend to go hand-hand because it's too tedious otherwise) they would simply not allow you to gear swap in combat or even out of town at all.

I've been manually switching since day 1. Back in the day for MF, and then again and ever since for Nems.

You cannot possibly think that many people refuse to do this 1.5 second maneuver and instead choose a macro for it, do you?

How lazy can people be that they're willing to violate rules and temp banishment?

Blizzard has said numerous times; 1 key press : 1 action. Anything that alters this is bannable, and I doubt they investigate what exactly you're using a macro to accomplish.