Diablo 3 has crossed 30 million copies sold...

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
...can we finally expect an expansion? I pledge to buy the CE if it'll fast track the announcement of an expansion.

On April 23, 2015, Sanctuary’s gates were thrown open to all Chinese heroes, as Blizzard
Entertainmentʹs award‐winning action role‐playing game Diablo® III: Reaper of Souls™ went
live in China. Diablo III has now sold-through over 30 million units life-to-date globally.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ACTI/517500560x0x843531/E54D33AE-B471-4321-B2C3-594512F1A778/Q2_2015_ATVI_Earnings_Press_Release.pdf
in a population of 2,000 million nation 30 million is nothing.
08/04/2015 04:13 PMPosted by Igod

30 million copies sold is impressive. Don't even try...
It is not a matter of if there is a 2nd D3 expansion, it's when.
08/04/2015 04:14 PMPosted by DoomBringer

hmm...30 millions worldwide, let see, world population is close to 8,000million as of now, about 70% of us have access to computers, that's roughly 5,500 millions potential game players.

30 / 5,500 = 0.5% not even 1% of computer users interests in the game, I really dont see what is so impressive about, not to mention so many players own multiple copies.
08/04/2015 04:23 PMPosted by Igod
hmm...30 millions worldwide, let see, world population is close to 8,000million as of now, about 70% of us have access to computers, that's roughly 5,500 millions potential game players.

30 / 5,500 = 0.5% not even 1% of computer users interests in the game, I really dont see what is so impressive about, not to mention so many players own multiple copies.

There are an estimated 2 billion PCs on the planet. Most of those are not intended to be used for gaming.

When compared to other games, 30 million sales is impressive.

Most games don't even cross 10 million.
08/04/2015 04:35 PMPosted by Hypersonic
Most games don't even cross 10 million.
Was just about to post this.

Only game I can recall selling near 30M copies is probably Wii Sports back in the day. I don't even know of any other title across any platform that has sold this many copies
Do not hype D3 anymore please! the reason D3 push out so much sellings is because of the legendary D1 an D2 franchise. D1 is a good game, D2 is a great game, D3 is a sh!tty game! they will see how much D3 hurts Blizzard when they trying to release D4 in the future, will be lucky if 5 millions sold.
08/04/2015 04:38 PMPosted by muz
Only game I can recall selling near 30M copies is probably Wii Sports back in the day. I don't even know of any other title across any platform that has sold this many copies

Grand Theft Auto 5 (for all platforms) has hit 52 million back in May this year.

Wii Sports has 80 million.
08/04/2015 04:14 PMPosted by DoomBringer

While this list is not up-to-date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

30M puts it amongst the best selling games ever.

You're trying too hard.
08/04/2015 04:38 PMPosted by muz

Grand Theft Auto 5 (for all platforms) has apparently hit 50 million.

ok then if you prefer this way, clash of clan has over 130 million users download, its not even for pc/mac...
If Blizzard is smart, they will fix everything that is wrong with the current game before making another expansion. That includes finally fixing those archaic bugs that have been around since vanilla that break the gameplay.
08/04/2015 04:54 PMPosted by Igod
ok then if you prefer this way, clash of clan has over 130 million users download, its not even for pc/mac...

Clash of Clans is freemium. If it had an up-front price tag, would the download count be as high?
they should really just turn it into WoW, but without the subscription.

throw the idea of a diablo 4 out the window and just say "okay, this is the final and ultimate diablo game. we aren't making another one. but we're going to make one new expansion for it every year, for at least the next five years"

so then you'd have six paid expansions total, plus tons of free large content patch updates. by the time you were finished you'd have a massive game with near endless replayability and(hopefully by that point) near perfect balance.

i mean...why not? diablo is one of their flagship franchises, so if we're willing to keep shelling out the money for new expansions, why can't they keep turning that money we give them into new expansions? it creates its own cycle.
Mike Morhaime:

We launched the game with a free model in China, while offering two premium versions at 32$ and 64$. Despite the availability of the free option, the premium version achieved record sell through in China...
...I am pleased to report, that Diablo III as a whole has now sold through over 30 million copies globally.

Very good news indeed! These numbers should be sufficient justification for resources to be dedicated to the development of a Second Expansion pack!
@Igod
in a population of 2,000 million nation 30 million is nothing

World population is ~ 7,4
The population of China is ~ 1,4 billion, not 2.
world population is close to 8,000million as of now, about 70% of us have access to computers

You don't know on what planet you're living...Delusional much?
I mean your name should be some indication, but seriously, where are you even pulling these numbers out of? Your butt?

I would not proceed to list numbers of certain countries and then go on to describe the circumstances of those people and the conditions in which they live in, because it might be misinterpreted.
I'll just say that the world is not as perfect place as you imagine, and that realistically there's probably less than 2,5 billion people with computers, most of which are not gamers, let alone fans of RPGs and Diablo.

Please, stop embarrassing yourself.
Don't feed the troll dude. Most games don't make to 5 million yet alone 30.. That is a really impressive number. That means D3 sold more than Skyrim.
08/04/2015 04:04 PMPosted by muz
...can we finally expect an expansion? I pledge to buy the CE if it'll fast track the announcement of an expansion.

On April 23, 2015, Sanctuary’s gates were thrown open to all Chinese heroes, as Blizzard
Entertainmentʹs award‐winning action role‐playing game Diablo® III: Reaper of Souls™ went
live in China. Diablo III has now sold-through over 30 million units life-to-date globally.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ACTI/517500560x0x843531/E54D33AE-B471-4321-B2C3-594512F1A778/Q2_2015_ATVI_Earnings_Press_Release.pdf

While 30M is a big number, I'd advise caution before you let it get you too excited, because caveats abound.

1. 30M includes the vanilla game (and last-gen consoles), plus RoS/UEE (i.e. combined) since the game's release in May 2012. Any time that a company is combining sales in multiple SKUs, life-to-date, in the context of a quarterly sales report, especially one in which they reveal that their primary revenue stream has lost nearly half its subscribers in only two quarters, you should be very, very suspicious.

2. That big number could very well include units of vanilla in China, where vanilla D3 is free. Since Blizzard doesn't actually break the numbers out, at all, we have no idea whether these zero-price units were also counted as sales, any more than we know how RoS sold compared to the vanilla game in other markets. This is the same company that relabelled "vanilla" D3 as Reaper of Souls for the purpose of reporting Q2 2014 sales, remember -- incidentally during another quarterly report in which WoW's subscriber numbers dropped (to just above 6M in that case), where they desperately needed some good news to keep shareholders calm, or at least something which could pass for good news in bad light, if you didn't look too closely.

Without more detail to provide context, the 30M number is essentially meaningless, for all its impressive size. Basically, the question isn't whether or not there are shenanigans here (there are); the question is, what sort of statistical sleight-of-hand ActiBlizz are trying to get away with? Call me cynical (I am, a little), but I'll save my congratulations for the day when Blizzard actually tell us how RoS has done in terms of player retention (i.e. how many vanilla players paid to upgrade to RoS), rather than doing this of non-GAAP/aggregate reporting. There's a reason why this sort of thing is not a Generally Approved Accounting Practice.

As to whether it makes sense for them to release a second expansion... well, that really depends on how RoS/UEE sold (i.e. the retention number), and not on the aggregate sales figure per se. It might still happen, but only if this expansion is selling well enough to justify it, which we can't tell from the numbers that ActiBlizz have released publicly; even if it does, I wouldn't expect an announcement before BlizzCon at the earliest.
30M includes the vanilla game (and last-gen consoles), plus RoS/UEE (i.e. combined) since the game's release in May 2012. Any time that a company is combining sales in multiple SKUs, life-to-date, in the context of a quarterly sales report, especially one in which they reveal that their primary revenue stream has lost nearly half its subscribers in only two quarters, you should be very, very suspicious.

That big number could very well include units of vanilla in China, where vanilla D3 is free.

Why would they count free copies as sales?

Last year it was supposedly Vanilla+RoS+Consoles=20 million copies.
This year it's supposedly Vanilla+RoS+Consoles+China sales of premium version (32$ or 64$) =30 million copies.

The initial RoS sales were 2.8 mil out of the overall 20 million. Now the overall number is supposedly 30 million.
I can only assume that about 1,5 million copies were sold in the EU and US over the course of the last year (especially with all the promotions), and the rest 8,5 are fresh sales of the premium versions in China.
Unfortunately Blizzard doesn't give the exact proportions, so this is me guessing.
08/04/2015 06:24 PMPosted by Noxifer
I can only assume that about 1,5 million copies were sold in the EU and US over the course of the last year, and the rest 8,5 are fresh sales of the premium versions in China.

Console sales should be higher than that across all platforms. Even using inaccurate sources like VGchartz, the UEE edition should have hit 2M+ across all platforms, while the original one should have another 2M+ plus as well. (this was probably included in the first 20M+ announcement). This does not include the massively discounted PC version in the past few months.

So lets set China premium sales at 7M. I still don't believe this figure (since it was reported at 1M just a few months back with 5M free), but i doubt its an outright lie (maybe even those who bought 1.99 stuff are considered in this group?)

Whatever the case, China and its new sales model might just save D3 in the long run. Which will be good for us. Also lets try to be a bit more forward thinking and look at new sales instead of going teary eyed over how well D3 did at launch.

Highlighting the last part for some dumb posters who keep clinging on to the past. I can do it too, WOW had 15 million subs at its peak! It's a monster!!! It's not dying you are dying!!! 2012 RAWKSSS

P.S: OP, can you change the title to "D3 and its Xpac" for accuracy.