I want super-ultra-freaking rare stuff

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
I know there are a lot of people out there who don t share my opinion but I think it is WAY too easy to get BIS items in diablo 3 and with kunais cube in the next patch, it will become even easier.

Maybe I am way too nostalgic in that case but in diablo 2 it was very much motivating to keep on farming because of all that ridiculous rare high runes (or some items as well)

That feeling when you finally got the last rune to complete your runeword for your new weapon
I want to have this feeling in diablo 3 as well
I always loved the feeling of playing for 10000 hours and still not finding that final rune, loved it, can it be even more absurd than that?
Loads of people are just thrilled about spending enormous amounts of time on a videogame for miniscule and exclusive rewards, that's really something almost everyone wants from a videogame and they love to hear about how they should have to work hard for their items, because who wouldn't want a second job??
Agreed Bombus.

The only relatively reasonable way to add rare items is to do it in the style of ancients.
Same items, just higher numbers.

That way you do not screw over people who just want to be able to make builds.

All in all. Base items should be easy to get. Perfect versions of those items should be hard to get. That is the best balance imo.
07/10/2015 09:12 AMPosted by Bombus
I always loved the feeling of playing for 10000 hours and still not finding that final rune, loved it, can it be even more absurd than that?

Yes it can get more absurd than that.

For example - Getting everything handed to you in a hundred hours so that you look and feel and operate just like everyone else with nothing new left to experience or find or develop.....

If the game actually had items that not every single player had that would be cool. It's not supposed to feel like a little trip to the supermarket to pick up your end game set with smart loot coupons....and that's ALL it feels like.
07/10/2015 10:12 AMPosted by Shurgosa

For example - Getting everything handed to you in a hundred hours so that you look and feel and operate just like everyone else with nothing new left to experience or find or develop.....

If the game actually had items that not every single player had that would be cool. It's not supposed to feel like a little trip to the supermarket to pick up your end game set with smart loot coupons....and that's ALL it feels like.

Not a popular opinion, apparently, but I agree.
Ultra-rare items are what drives my grind. I too wish we had more of this, but so many here want Kadala to be the Wla-Mart of Diablo items. They think that because we don't have trading, then the only compromise is to remove weighting.

I would love for there to be more items that we rarely see. As soon as I saw the title of the OP, I knew the Minus 1 Mafia would be here in full force.

Sure.
The way to make sure not everyone look and operate the same is to have different options for people to strive for.
Making people different from each other, merely by making sure they can't get any items, isnt that interesting.

In the end it isn't so black and white. While 10000 hours are arguably too long to get whatever items they want, so are 10 hours arguably too short. People will never agree on where the exact point should be, nor will there be an exact point of course, due to rng.
I am still waiting on my first furnace... Even including playtime during the 2000 ptr's.

Luckily, a Barb dropped one on ptr for me to cube it. It's the only one that I've seen in a few thousand hours of playtime.

RNG determines it's own ultra rare items.
True. Claims that you will find anything in 100 hours are highly exaggerated too.

But there clearly are, as this thread shows, people who think that finding everything in 1000 hours or even 10000 hours is too fast.
It's also funny seeing how much some lose touch with just how much time the game absorbs relative to other titles. Most console offerings would KILL to keep us playing for 100 hours, but are probably lucky to manage 20 in an initial play through. And that's being generous. Meanwhile, if you're inclined enough to actually gear all classes here decently, that's hundreds of hours alone. The only other genre that can really hope to compete is the MMO and those are made deliberately time sinky to string people along between patches.

It's one thing to be a fan of the game, but another to look at it as a career. That's the murky depth we start peering into when people start demanding really rare stuff, nevermind the present existence of tiered rarities further multiplied against the chance for an ancient. And sometimes there's a big gap between functional and BiS, too.

Personally, I'd rather have an incremental goal to work toward than hoping I roll a 1 in a trillion drop.
Do you realize 10,000 hours is equal to 416 days in a seat?

Has to be a nice chair is all I can say

.Or you do not work or is rich and play all the time.

Anyway not even close to 10k hours and still enjoy the hunt for gear.

Frogg
I've been playing steadily since 2.0 launched and i have yet to see an ancient version of some key class items.

For example,

Flow of Eternity
Incense Torch
Furnace
Bulkathos set
Immortal King's Hammer

Heck i still have non ancient set armor pieces.

Just because you magically got BIS after a few hours of playing doesn't mean it applies to everyone. I think the reforge is a welcome change and helps combat the frustrating, "i'm only looking for one item out of 10,000 possible drops. Hope it drops as well as roll ancient with good stats".

It would be cool if what I got was good stuff and that you got equally good stuff but we didn't have the same stuff, that would be cool, for awhile... Then we both would start thinking how each other's build would play and after that we'd unhappily wander the landscape of random to try to attain something remote with sheer luck.
No, better would be if we had reasonable opportunities getting our treasure but since our taste in what constitute an amazing build and a fun way of playing differ our wants or ideas would direct what we put on and adventured with instead of what clearly is the superior damage choice.

P.S. I think 100 hours is a fair amount of gametime, I really do. Not to have everything, but absolutely to have some and be a good way into the game.
07/10/2015 11:44 AMPosted by Bombus
P.S. I think 100 hours is a fair amount of gametime, I really do. Not to have everything, but absolutely to have some and be a good way into the game.

Depends on what you mean by "a good way into the game"?

I can start a HC character, and within 36 hours (usually less), dominate t6 and find myself comfortably cruising through 34+ grifts....on HC mind you.

It is incredibly easy to find everything you need. Finding everything you want, that is a different story, and it is the only reason one would want to continue a grind.
07/10/2015 11:53 AMPosted by BurningRope
07/10/2015 11:44 AMPosted by Bombus

Depends on what you mean by "a good way into the game"?

I can start a HC character, and within 36 hours (usually less), dominate t6 and find myself comfortably cruising through 34+ grifts....on HC mind you.

It is incredibly easy to find everything you need. Finding everything you want, that is a different story, and it is the only reason one would want to continue a grind.

I mean to have what you need. I agree that perfection should be an illustrious goal.

I got to GR 40 in a 100 hours, was happy with that, not fast like you but still good I think. Most won't be fast like me though, it will take them longer. GR40 is not like GR55, it is way off actually, so I'm not anywhere near the top.
To get to the top I'm sure I will have to first play in teams and second devote much more than 500 hours, say 1000 hours, each season. That's more than eight hours every day for four months, I'd say that's pretty illustrious, on a videogame level, it is actually an impressive amount of time to do real work.

What's needed is not moar grind, we need cooler items and builds, we need loads of them to have a hard time deciding what to play today! I want to experiment with builds, get new ideas every time I play if possible, but I don't want to look for "THE FURNACE" for 2000 hours, that's unacceptable from my standpoint. I can live with compromises on my gear be it quality or availability, I will embrace them, problem now is that we got sets, BiS weapons and specific stats on each and every other item and that's it, there's nothing else. That's where the prowblem lies, not with that the grind is too easy, I would even say the grind is at an alright spot as it is now.
I agree with the idea of balancing out the likelihood of legendaries dropping. I hate how you can never seem to find certain items, while other items are ubiquitous (ex: Blindfaith helm and Nailbiter mace). They don't necessarily need to make all items have the same likelihood of dropping, just make it so there isn't such a disparity.

The other extreme to this was the high runes in D2. I played D2 a LOT, and the highest rune I ever found was a VEX. I knew someone back then that botted 24/7 for maybe 2 years and only once found the infamous ZOD rune. The only reason people didn't complain more about this was that dupers supplied the runes people wanted. Tyrael's Might was another example of something being ridiculously rare, but no one complained about it because it really wasn't BiS for most builds.
Asking for more ultra rare Legendary instead of asking for all Legendaries to be good, smh.
07/10/2015 10:44 AMPosted by Shadout
Sure.
The way to make sure not everyone look and operate the same is to have different options for people to strive for.
Making people different from each other, merely by making sure they can't get any items, isnt that interesting.

You are correct; the idea you describe of
07/10/2015 10:44 AMPosted by Shadout
merely by making sure they can't get any items

is not that interesting. And what is funny is that the statement you wrote above , despite how disparaging you make it out to be, is that it is MORE than what blizzard has currently achieved in years with millions if not billions of dollars, and a nearly infinite pool of human talent. you are absolutely right and blizzard has hardly even reached that low scummy plateau.

They can hardly make people different.

The fact that they DO NOT make sure that certain people can NEVER get certain particular items, does not really boost the quality of the game, and earn them a nod..

The fact that everyone and their dog basically looks for the same items and items contribute 99% of your characters substance, and that's what people have to do...go hunt for the same little pool of predictable items..........it drags the quality of the game game right down into the sewer......

the game is basically 99.9999% about loot, and for the past 3 years+ loot has been predictable, featureless, fumbled and stumbled over, broken, boring, repetitive, instant garbage.....

when you look at what the game COULD HAVE been and view it in contrast to what currently is, when you let your imagination run wild the game looks worse and worse and worse off.

its the same for crafting its the same for emeralds in weapons, its the same for cookie cutter builds and insta-soul items.....the phrase "insta-soul", it used to be "insta-brim" before the expansion because.....well....not to much has changed; Despite all of their work on the game and furiously trying to apply special effects to items, which bloody-well should have been in the game YEARS before its released.... it's core is still ROTTEN.

It's hard to still remain optimistic and its troubling to see forward thinking forum members who are brainstorming and discussing potential ideas have those ideas blasted out of the sky with a shotgun while the game is still flopping around on the river bank gasping for air...

Seriously cant wait to try out the new cube!! Can't get here soon enough...
It was fun to farm in D2 because you could actually focus your efforts towards procuring the stuff you wanted by trading. No such thing in D3.

Besides, D2's RNG was infinitely more controlled than the demonstrably overdone excess randomness D3 suffers from. It's simply not the same.

The thing is, since gear is all there is to your character (plus 5% or so from paraLOL levels as a consolation prize), trading isn't even viable. The game's kind of a paradox.
You have to realize, we are now in the age of instant gratification. While I wish for much rarer items as well, the games won't work like that anymore because its all about now now now these days. Early access, participation trophies, low risk high reward etc. are all how this gen of games operate. Similar to the reactions to vanilla WoW, everyone is too used to the massive conveniences of the quality of life overload to ever let something like this go through.