Let's resolve - TOGETHER - BOT-ing

General Discussion
First, we need to know:

What is the purpose of BOT-ing?
- Items gathering ?
- Leveling up ? Alone, or by team?
- Do they (the BOT-ing program) use Cain's book to identify items? Do they identify items?
----> Identifying could be turned into a CAPTCHA-like question games, no?
How to itentify a Robot vs a Human? Chat with them, ask questions.
change paragon level to cosmetic bonus. bring back MS as an necessary stats since no longer available by paragon. but need to increase every class ms by 13% first this way we don't feel to slow. They can farm for gear fine just paragon primary stats is bit OP.
It's a game... nobody likes captchas and if you've ever used jdownloader, you would know that there are ways around typing the captcha codes.

The way to deal with botters is to detect their bots or the behavior of bots and ban them for it.
Brief History of Botting
Throughout the centuries humanity has always found out ways to be able to accomplish things more efficiently. Since the beginning of the industrialized era, humanity has entrusted many a laborous task to machines, and many machines are able to do even basic automated actions that humans were able to do such as sealing a bottle with much greater speed accuracy than what was ever more possible for a human to do.

Thus, by now, it has become far more efficient for a human to develop bots to do laborous tasks, than doing them himself. Human anatomy doesn't even lend itself to manual labour so much; our bones are brittle and can easily be broken, our joints easily displaced. Whereas bot can just keep going, without a concern for sleep or efficiency.

What can be said about this then? It is that humanity does not enjoy doing heavily laborous and repetitive tasks. Work itself is fine, but it should feel like it's enjoyable. It needs to feel like it's challenging yourself, not just because an object requires 5k more muscle mass or so to be able to finally lift it.

This is actually no different from video games, that people play and enjoy and play for fun. In fact, it's even more justification to do so for fun. Many people do not neccessarily either have the time to farm, but still want to feel competitive, so botting gives them that option as well.

Now, Blizzard has taken a rough stance on botting in the past, but I personally don't mind it in D3 so much. In game with no trading whatsoever, having people bot for days on end doesn't really matter. At some point paragon leveling will slow down dramatically anyways; what D3 devs should be doing is offering tools for people to have some form of endless progression via gear and paragon levels to make the whole progress of paragon leveling more interestin and thus, creating less incentives to bot.

I agree botting can be a problem on seasons, but honestly 99% of the people on seasons don't really push greater rift leaderboards, so it's kind of irrelevant anyway.

TL;DR; there is nothing wrong with wanting to be more efficient. Just allow botting, maybe I'll play a bit then, when I have 2000plevel or something - when I don't actualy have to use sets or another OP build to do T6(or 10) efficiently.
Just remove the leaderboards and any semblance that this single player game is a competition. Then nobody cares that poeple are boting.
07/15/2015 10:04 AMPosted by SteLitY
It's a game... nobody likes captchas and if you've ever used jdownloader, you would know that there are ways around typing the captcha codes.

The way to deal with botters is to detect their bots or the behavior of bots and ban them for it.

Yikes, I got a chill when I read your post. I had this sudden thought of chronic captchas popping up every time I tried to open a rift, pick up a legendary, or transitioned levels/areas.

I feel that bots are only a serious issue for the few thousand players that have a shot (or think they have a shot) at the leaderboards. Otherwise they don't have a direct impact on most players.

That said, they probably lockdown positions in queues, using up server resources. They may also be indirectly responsible for various nerfs/tweaks that do negatively impact the "real players". And while there has been mixed evidence, they might also be pulling CS resources from Blizzard that could be better used.

I honestly don't know if there is an easy solution that won't somehow hurt the honest players (DRM comes to mind often). It's basically an element of the game itself. If the game offered less reward for grinding, and more reward for playing storylines, and creative problem solving, then it might discourage bots. If there were truly countless effective builds to support multiple playstyles, then players would be happy playing the game, rather than using as a RNG simulator.

One last thought. As much as I dislike the idea of adding PVP to the game, that might be one way to discourage botting. Image if bots were flagged as "killable" and their games opened up. I can imagine a few players that would love nothing more than hopping from game to game slaying the bots. But then would that lead the right of Bot-killing Bots? Hmm.
07/15/2015 11:11 AMPosted by Talzar13
One last thought. As much as I dislike the idea of adding PVP to the game, that might be one way to discourage botting. Image if bots were flagged as "killable" and their games opened up. I can imagine a few players that would love nothing more than hopping from game to game slaying the bots. But then would that lead the right of Bot-killing Bots? Hmm.

Well, if the game could flag bots for PvP it could just ban them too and there would be no issue.
I guess that people bot because parts of the game feel like work (hence the talk about "efficiency"). Once the entire game feels like pleasure, players won't be willing to miss the fun.
07/15/2015 10:39 AMPosted by Shanso
Just remove the leaderboards and any semblance that this single player game is a competition. Then nobody cares that poeple are boting.

Even without the leaderboards, the game is still affected by botting in many other ways.
07/15/2015 08:07 PMPosted by OscarMK

Even without the leaderboards, the game is still affected by botting in many other ways.
How does it have any impact on what you do?
07/16/2015 08:50 AMPosted by Shanso

Botting gives an unfair advantage to any player. When the game is all about how much you play, anyone not physically playing but still gaining the benefits of playing the game will always be at an advantage.

Well, you just suggested that the leader boards should be removed due to botting, which, you know, kind of affects people.
What's frustrating is when i fail the CAPTCHA because the r looks like an n. or the h looks like a b. If you're going to do this.... dont do it with the psychedelic crazy twisted letters. it makes my brain hurt
07/16/2015 11:17 AMPosted by pensfan080

game
ɡām/
noun
1. a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

Key word - "competitive"

Tough to play a GAME that is COMPETITIVE when your opponents are cheating.....

The whole "how do bots effect you" argument is ignorant. As are you.

Dude got touched with the quickness, yo.
07/16/2015 11:17 AMPosted by pensfan080

game
ɡām/
noun
1. a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

Key word - "competitive"

Tough to play a GAME that is COMPETITIVE when your opponents are cheating.....

The whole "how do bots effect you" argument is ignorant. As are you.

Your comment is just as ignorant thinking this game is actually taken seriously on a competitive point other than epeen stroking when random variables come into play such as pylons, rift fishing and the lack of disparity between gems being leveled through solo vs group play that allows progression.

How so? Loot is bound. Crafting mats are bound. AH is gone.
Are you going to be mad that the over geared botter is carrying someone else and not you?

Everyone jumping on this botter bandwagon issue when they should be focusing on other areas of the game first if they plan to make it competitive. Freaking Sheeples.
07/16/2015 01:34 PMPosted by pensfan080
07/16/2015 12:53 PMPosted by aBeec

Your comment is just as ignorant thinking this game is actually taken seriously on a competitive point other than epeen stroking when random variables come into play such as pylons, rift fishing and the lack of disparity between gems being leveled through solo vs group play that allows progression.

How so? Loot is bound. Crafting mats are bound. AH is gone.
Are you going to be mad that the over geared botter is carrying someone else and not you?

Everyone jumping on this botter bandwagon issue when they should be focusing on other areas of the game first if they plan to make it competitive. Freaking Sheeples.

All this from a paragon 653 player who only has 2 classes geared towards anything remotely close to effective.

Please refrain from commenting on posts in which you know nothing about.

Do yourself and this community a favor and find a forum topic in which you can relate to. Here, i'll help you:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/11864305/

Looks like I struck a chord.
Been playing on and off since beta.
Apparently I dont play as much as you.
Maybe you bot and are playing both sides.
Get out your parents basement, theres this thing called sunlight, a little bit of it is good for you.
07/16/2015 01:34 PMPosted by pensfan080
All this from a paragon 653 player who only has 2 classes geared towards anything remotely close to effective.

Please refrain from commenting on posts in which you know nothing about.

Do yourself and this community a favor and find a forum topic in which you can relate to. Here, i'll help you:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/11864305/

http://imgur.com/4mhxni4