PTR 2.3 - Vyr's Archon Set Explained (Video)

Wizard
Hey guys, today I go over the changes coming to the Vyr's set, along with a quick preview of it in action in Season 4. There will be additional content covering itemization, playstyle, and considerations since it's a fairly complex build. It's a lot of fun, but definitely not a lazy spec and from my testing thus far, will only be good in Season 4 due to the belt. Enjoy & discuss!

-

https://youtu.be/0yieleUgCPo

-
I saw this one today, and I was extremely disappointed:
https://youtu.be/Qmi527SSxdg

It seems that you'd have to sacrifice 11 pieces of gear to play a melee style build hitting the ground, instead of beaming the monsters to death.

I don't like the playstyle.

I don't like the Chantodo's Set.

I don't like the additive stacks.

I don't like the fact that a core piece of the gear is behind the Season wall.

So far the revamped Vyr is a big failure for me. Both on effectiveness, and fun factor.
Nice job.

The new pet looks more like a pig then like a dog.
I don't like the playstyle.

I don't like the additive stacks.

I don't like the fact that a core piece of the gear is behind the Season wall.

that about sums up vyr's for me. :(
will be jumping to my monk or barb if that's the new meta
07/20/2015 06:32 AMPosted by Machado
It seems that you'd have to sacrifice 11 pieces of gear to play a melee style build hitting the ground, instead of beaming the monsters to death.

u can beam just fine. damage is about the same with bigger aoe, just get thr freeze through the 1 spam and mind getting melee so chants wod hits.
@ximae - beam sucks.

I'm basically done testing Vyr's at this point (got a few more vids recorded), but it's SOLID, although it only has a single, specific playstyle - melee with APDs + Halo.

Not sure if someone will clear higher before PTR reset, but on Season 4 there's a wiz with a 68 done. That's insane.

It's a very hectic and relatively complex playstyle though (especially if you use CoE and try to time your element rotation, since that damage multiplier absolutely wrecks everything).
07/20/2015 09:47 AMPosted by ximae
07/20/2015 06:32 AMPosted by Machado

u can beam just fine. damage is about the same with bigger aoe, just get thr freeze through the 1 spam and mind getting melee so chants wod hits.
1 isnt the freeze. Left click is.
What is wrong with the wizard forum lately. I can assure you that half of these people haven't even properly tested this new set yet.

EDIT: referring to kids crying about the set
07/20/2015 06:19 PMPosted by ZellJr
07/20/2015 09:47 AMPosted by ximae

Take a look at the cold rune of archon. It says both 1 and left click freeze.
07/20/2015 06:09 PMPosted by Mikhail
@ximae - beam sucks.

I'm basically done testing Vyr's at this point (got a few more vids recorded), but it's SOLID, although it only has a single, specific playstyle - melee with APDs + Halo.

Not sure if someone will clear higher before PTR reset, but on Season 4 there's a wiz with a 68 done. That's insane.

It's a very hectic and relatively complex playstyle though (especially if you use CoE and try to time your element rotation, since that damage multiplier absolutely wrecks everything).

Its because of the belts attack speed and the new gem... without the gem max grifts will be lower for sure. Gem is op as hell and is making archon set look really good. Set is average otherwise.
07/20/2015 06:19 PMPosted by ZellJr

jesus, i know ur in ptr go ahead and 1 again..... ull see both punch and blast freeze.
@ximae - beam sucks.

my 60 clear says otherwise. beam and punch are about same damage punch freezes beam has a much bigger aoe. punch has a much better proc coef but beam ticks @ 3 speed coef hitting more mobs, so its acyually better at proccing unless u go down to few targets where then its better to switch to punch.

if u like to see yellow damage numbers, then yeah use punch.

guys get ur facts straight.
Since when does proc coefficient matter in Archon? What exactly does proc coefficient do for you? While in Archon?

Nothing.

Grats on 60, I guess, you grinded more than I did. Regardless it's still a melee build AND most of your damage comes from Chant.

Only thing that matters is how quickly you build up Archon stacks. Does beam build stacks faster than punch? I dunno, can't prove it. Can you? From my testing so far, punch is much easier to play and does just as well (if not better), especially given the attention you spend on making sure your stacks are on point, CoE rotation is on point, when to pop pylons, when to reset Archon, etc.
07/21/2015 12:22 AMPosted by ximae
@ximae - beam sucks.

my 60 clear says otherwise. beam and punch are about same damage punch freezes beam has a much bigger aoe. punch has a much better proc coef but beam ticks @ 3 speed coef hitting more mobs, so its acyually better at proccing unless u go down to few targets where then its better to switch to punch.

if u like to see yellow damage numbers, then yeah use punch.

guys get ur facts straight.

How is 60 is remotely impressive? Lmao
07/21/2015 03:54 PMPosted by Cman
How is 60 is remotely impressive? Lmao

not much really...wasnt even really pushing, just lvl 40 gems just failed 2-3 grifts to get there too.

but still good enough to make it top 50... using the "crap" beam
07/21/2015 03:27 PMPosted by Mikhail
Since when does proc coefficient matter in Archon? What exactly does proc coefficient do for you? While in Archon?

Nothing.

guess what weapon was being cubed in one of the 68 clears?...thunderfury. so procs do nothing... oh wait.

07/21/2015 03:27 PMPosted by Mikhail
Only thing that matters is how quickly you build up Archon stacks. Does beam build stacks faster than punch? I dunno, can't prove it. Can you? From my testing so far, punch is much easier to play and does just as well (if not better), especially given the attention you spend on making sure your stacks are on point, CoE rotation is on point, when to pop pylons, when to reset Archon, etc.

I am not saying beam is universally better, each has its benefits for different scenarios. While u guys say its universally crap.... which is just straight wrong.

Both stack as fast, one freezes and hits slightly harder with better proc coef the other has a way bigger aoe and fatser tick rate. As far as i know clicking right button is just as easy than hitting left mouse.

If u think just hitting the first mobs with a punch with half the screen filled with herded mobs is better... be my guest, wont argue with stupidity.
Don't think cubing TF had much to do with anything. Sure it procs BotT, but so does your slow time and that's where you're dealing most of your damage. I'm guessing he just didn't have a Furnace on S4 to cube.

So unless I'm missing something obvious (please enlighten me), proc coefficients in Archon don't matter.
We'll see how archon does with the epic nerf to the stricken gem which is where most of the damage came from not chants. The synergy between the belt (now the 4 piece) and the gem was too op.
They have to adjust monster density and progress acquisition since it will be alot harder to kill elites. Imo with the belt becoming the 4-piece say good bye to vyr and say hello to vyrasha
Making D3 videos with a baby in the background. That is some epic multi-tasking
07/22/2015 11:43 AMPosted by Mikhail
I'm guessing he just didn't have a Furnace on S4 to cube.

he used furnace on the previous clears. but he switched to gr in the last gr.. dhs are also using it, so there is something to it.

I tried with soh instead of tf, but its got an icd of 0.333 so all that aps went to waste. Didnt get to try tf.

bascially cubing furnace is the easy thing, but there is other stuff to explore as with that high aps and either the punches good proc rate or the beams speed coef of 3 wi8de aoe it opens up possiblities for proc based legendary builds. proc rates are not just for apoc.

soh would have been sick if it wasnt capped, and im imagining TF isnt icd capped. SO if @ 5 aps ur beaming 10 mobs. 15 tick/s * 10 * 0.1 (beam proc) *0.6 (tf proc chance) = around 9 procs/s thats alot of extra damage.