What Kind of Game is Diablo 3?

General Discussion
Is Diablo 3 a MMO or is it an Action Adventure? Is this a game that requires a group to play for maximum enjoyment or is it a game a person can play Solo for their enjoyment?

If I wanted a MMO I'd go play RIFTS or something, so why is a game styled as a Single Player action RPG requiring me to group? When the value of my time multiplies by 50x or more by grouping then the game is no longer a solo player game.
Nowadays genres are so blurred and mixed that if you want to classify a game, you have to put together a series of 'tags' for it.

Diablo could be classified as a "Gear-grinding Action-Adventure Leveler RPG". As it's all about progression and building up a character, and numeric values and account unlocks are more important than the plot, and there's no choices like in "classic roleplay" games.

The 'adventure' part is rather small, though. Not much about finding stuff and exploration and there's almost not puzzles to solve, and they are solved by finding something.

It'll be cool if there was the occasional puzzle to solve. There's many ways to add randomly generated puzzles that would fir the game.
09/12/2015 05:09 PMPosted by Mithrán
Diablo could be classified as a "Gear-grinding Action-Adventure Leveler RPG". As it's all about progression and building up a character, and numeric values and account unlocks are more important than the plot, and there's no choices like in "classic roleplay" games.

The 'adventure' part is rather small, though. Not much about finding stuff and exploration and there's almost not puzzles to solve, and they are solved by finding something.

the gear-grind is rather small as well. so an action-leveler RPG?
Nowadays genres are so blurred and mixed that if you want to classify a game, you have to put together a series of 'tags' for it.

It'll be cool if there was the occasional puzzle to solve. There's many ways to add randomly generated puzzles that would fir the game.

My general discontent with the game, and I think the majority of discontent you see, is that it doesnt seem to know what it is. If I pick up RIFT I know I'm getting into a MMO. If I pick up Baldurs Gate I know I'm getting an RPG, If I pick up rocket league, Hearthstone, Victoria 2, Binding of Isaac, all of those I know what experience I'm getting and I know how it will begin and can predict the ending.

Diablo 1, and Diablo 2 I knew what I was getting an RPG with online elements I could choose to participate in. I think Diablo 3 is very disingenuous about what it is, it isn't an RPG an RPG involves telling a story and character progression. Diablo 3 is currently a MMO like Warframe and I dont think I like that style of game or gameplay.

Knowing this and having worked this out with you I think I'm done. Gonna go play some Chrono Trigger or pick back up my Divinity Original Sin since the sequel looks so damn good.
You are missing the ending half of the game definition.

MMO stands for 'Massively Multiplayer Online'. Any game that supports a large group of players playing at once can be considered an MMO.

You then have sub-categories such as:
- MMORPG
- MMOAPG
- MMOFPS
- MMORTS

And so on.

Diablo would fall under the MMORPG/MMOAPG categories given that you, as a player, do take on a role of a character in the world. While the game style is also considered an APG.
Diablo 3 is the next wow expansion, you get demon hunter( demon hunters) legion of demons, demon lords from a distant planet (aka hell) legendary weapons they call "artifact" which is a toad disguised as a frog, everyone gets one of those " legendary" just like Diablo 3. Pvp, make everyone run with same gear, transmog weapon, well, another copy paste, and we get to visit Valhalla=heavenly shiny place inhabited by beings with wings (aka high heaven). What else?
I leave off the end half of the definition because it's very hard to quantify what exactly an MMO game is. In EQ or UO you had MMORPGs, they were specifically designed as games that involved roleplay end exploration in a world and required the MMO participation.

Diablo 3 doesnt really have RPG involved in it. There's no actual roleplaying, other than a character having a certain voice and style of damage there's no RPG involvement in the current game. The game is go on adventure mode which is accomplishing an objective in a themed environment which you twirl through as fast as you can or go run a rift which is killing stuff in a hallway.

Do we even have a word for "Required multiplayer online dopamine crack simulator"?

Btw speaking of all of this quantification of things, I really wish Steam gave you the ability to choose to search for things Without certain tags. Games seem to aquire 30 tags which they shouldnt have and it's much easier to see which ones dont have certain tags than do have certain tags.

Alright, check this in an hour or so.
Side-scrolling shooter with some nice shine and polish on it for a bit of razzle dazzle. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, or that I dislike the game.
It's a first person Sudoku platformer.
a loot hording hack'n'slash game with light rpg elements mixed in.
It's a computer and console game.
its a game where you farm lower content so you can do the content your suposed to do in the gear the next level of content needed
Its an extremely polished turd.
Put it in the Confused genre
I'll take a shot at this...

In the brand-new Simulation game ‘Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls’ it’s your objective to become the ‘Lord of the Forest’ as you clear the trees across an enormous wooded landscape.

Face the hard work of real lumberjacks as you control and operate various small and large machinery at your disposal. From huge Feller Buncher and Harvesters that debranch and cut up the trunks, to tractors, cranes, trucks and trailers for the transportation of the chopped logs. In your own expandable mill you will be able to produce different goods from the raw material and sell your product output for profit.

Experience the smell of fresh tree gum, the sound of heavy vehicles, and more - battling the elements, reducing forest giants to small pieces of wood. There’s so much demanding work to be done. Are you up for the challenge?
09/12/2015 05:01 PMPosted by Skellum
is it a game a person can play Solo for their enjoyment?

Apart from teaming up with the occasional good friend that's how I play it. Others play it differently. Trying to put just one label on it is unnecessary.
09/12/2015 05:12 PMPosted by Alukat

the gear-grind is rather small as well. so an action-leveler RPG?

The RPG is even smaller than the exploration -- and leveling does not make a game an RPG, as seen with the Castlevania games that are without meaningful leveling choices, which are Action Adventure games.

Sooo...
It's not an RPG.

Action Adventure..?

09/12/2015 05:16 PMPosted by atom0s
You are missing the ending half of the game definition.

MMO stands for 'Massively Multiplayer Online'. Any game that supports a large group of players playing at once can be considered an MMO.

You then have sub-categories such as:
- MMORPG
- MMOAPG
- MMOFPS
- MMORTS

And so on.

Diablo would fall under the MMORPG/MMOAPG categories given that you, as a player, do take on a role of a character in the world. While the game style is also considered an APG.

You take the role of a character in the world in ALL games with characters, and when the only RPG elements are level-ups without choices and equipment -- it's an action adventure game, like Symphony of the Night and Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

Is the more-or-less definition of an RPG. Which Diablo 3 (and previous Diablo's) fall under perfectly fine.

Feel free to have your opinion on what it is/isn't categorized as, but it fits the definition perfectly fine.
Than just play solo and dont worry about everyone else? I dont get it. If you want to be so independent than you shouldnt worry.
Some would also add "Click to move" and "hack & slash" to the list of tags.

Not so sure about "Click to move"- Doesn't really sound like a genre like with "Point and click".

As for "hack & slash" is a sub-type of adventure game that pretty much describes all we do in the game.