U6 GR60+ build: Unity+ what ring?

Monk
Hi all, I have been using Quin's U6 build, with F+R rings. I'm planning to try pushing GRs, currently at 50 with my current profile setup. From here I think things get dicey, though I haven't exactly tried very hard. Killing things take a bit longer, but damage gets pronounced. I feel like damage mitigation should be key.

I'm thinking of incorporating Unity into my build, with one on my follower Templar. What other ring should I pair Unity with? CoE? SoJ?

This is on top of the change to Bane of the Stricken (from Powerful), generator to WotHF (Assimilation), and Madstone cubed to Spirit Guard.

My profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hayrich-6694/hero/65802484

Please have a look and also suggest other changes if possible? New to monk here. Thanks!
you really need dmg more than mitigation as you push higher.
as a Monk you already should be pretty darn hard to kill.
I havent played Monk much did change from a wizard and done Gr56 solo as far without optimized gear on season. You want dmg more than mitigation and then luck for good rifts.
09/06/2015 03:56 AMPosted by skjutengris
you really need dmg more than mitigation as you push higher.
as a Monk you already should be pretty darn hard to kill.
I havent played Monk much did change from a wizard and done Gr56 solo as far without optimized gear on season. You want dmg more than mitigation and then luck for good rifts.

So you're recommending I keep F+R? That's what I suspected I might be advised to do... the damage boost is good. I'm considering Unity as a possibility to make the most out of my follower.
Use Spirit guards for your armor cube power. You don't need madstone EP spreads just fine without it. Spirit Guards will give you the survivability you need.
09/06/2015 04:47 AMPosted by Gunblade
Use Spirit guards for your armor cube power. You don't need madstone EP spreads just fine without it. Spirit Guards will give you the survivability you need.
You don't need to spread EP when using madstone; it automatically spreads itself to the specific targets of your SSS. Madstone is perfectly viable and potentially stronger in solo play.

With Gungdo, you get extra explosions on mobs that die, but only one per mob. As rift tier gets higher, the amount of time each mob lives goes up, and the value of having EP on every mob automatically goes down (since your SSS has more time to spread it with madstone).
i cleared gr60 solo without ancient weapons, using f+r, broken promises + spirit guards in my cube and gungdo as my actual bracers.

your toughness is already high enough with epiphany + dodge from your mantra and dodge bonus from your dashing strike.

some may disagree but IMO you could try and drop some cdr from your rings for more chd + swapping the guardians path passive for a damage passive.

another big push would be a nice hellfire amulet ofc.

gl
Focus & Restraint
Cube Unity

This goes for almost every build of every class. Rather boring I think... there's so much nice variety among jewelry it's a shame to have a 2 piece set be so overwhelmingly the best option. Many builds have the majority of gear slots "locked' with a particular piece of gear, and even cube powers. It would be nice to have room for personal flavor.
Oh well. At least when I do 2-4 party grifts I can cube my Star of Azkaranth or something else interesting.
Not sure why, but I'm stuck at 54 even with every recommendation taken. Spirit Guard, F+R, Unity with Follower, Forbidden Palace with Inner Sanc, tried everything but the elites just cream me. I've watched videos; go in, hit a few times to apply EP, SSS... rinse and repeat. I do the same thing and I die. I have 1200+ AR, 17k armour, 700k life, and it doesn't make a difference.

Thinking I might have to do the generator build, is that easier for survival?
09/06/2015 11:15 AMPosted by Hayrich
Not sure why, but I'm stuck at 54 even with every recommendation taken. Spirit Guard, F+R, Unity with Follower, Forbidden Palace with Inner Sanc, tried everything but the elites just cream me. I've watched videos; go in, hit a few times to apply EP, SSS... rinse and repeat. I do the same thing and I die. I have 1200+ AR, 17k armour, 700k life, and it doesn't make a difference.

Consider getting rid of one of the Offensive gems for a def one. Either magic dmg reduction or life/s

I just creamed a 55 first try (just over 6 minutes), gear is similar. Main thing is you have much better weapons.

Couple of notes:
Make sure to actively use dashing strike in pacts, even when you don't need to reposition. In other words:
SSS -> Dashing Strike -> Generator -> repeat

That way you're either immune to all damage or have almost 75% dodge at all times.

Second, you're quite low on paragon, which is going to hurt both your damage and survivability.

Third, if you are struggling with incoming damage, instead of FoT: Quickening use Crippling Wave: Concussion. Should significantly reduce how much you're taking.

I found U6 is a lot better, you get to stack more vitality and you're flat out immune to damage a 3rd of the time.
Just use bp + spirit guard on cube. F n R for rings, that is enough mitigation for 60+
Just cleared 62 with this set up. Make sure your CDR is enough. Its dash + gen + sss rinse repeat
09/06/2015 11:06 AMPosted by Lachdanan
Focus & Restraint
Cube Unity

This goes for almost every build of every class. Rather boring I think... there's so much nice variety among jewelry it's a shame to have a 2 piece set be so overwhelmingly the best option. Many builds have the majority of gear slots "locked' with a particular piece of gear, and even cube powers. It would be nice to have room for personal flavor.
Oh well. At least when I do 2-4 party grifts I can cube my Star of Azkaranth or something else interesting.

Except no monks on the top of the leaderboards are cubing Unity because: Broken Promises.
09/07/2015 10:49 AMPosted by Killidrix
09/06/2015 11:06 AMPosted by Lachdanan
Focus & Restraint
Cube Unity

Except no monks on the top of the leaderboards are cubing Unity because: Broken Promises.

Aren't like 9 out of the top 10 using CoE and not BP?
09/08/2015 09:22 AMPosted by Default
09/07/2015 10:49 AMPosted by Killidrix

Aren't like 9 out of the top 10 using CoE and not BP?

THIS

Actually, BOTH of the responses. This thread is seriously confusing me. The number of responses and theory crafting before we got to the main answer is extremely confusing.

No one runs Unity in the cube for U6 at higher Grifts. You either use BP or CoE - I have never seen anything else recommended.
CoE is the other option and allows you to build to more standard crit build instead of actively avoiding crit chance.
Hayrich, I gotta give you a compliment on that flavor of time, that is one of the most sexy non-hellfire I've seen.

This might be hurting your survivability though. I would take a fifth passive over 7% CDR. All your armor is non-ancient, that matters as well.
I second rager, your flavor of time looks great, but adding 5th passive might be better choice.

I have sixth sense on ammy and guardians path is added to its place; my survivability hugely improved, didn't die even once in GR 60 clear (of course several times I saved by NDE).
Spirit Guards in the Cube. Eye of Etlich on your neck. Binding of the Lost around your waist (or String of Ears). Esoteric Alteration gem in a ring/amulet.
09/06/2015 05:42 AMPosted by Pathologic
09/06/2015 04:47 AMPosted by Gunblade
You don't need to spread EP when using madstone; it automatically spreads itself to the specific targets of your SSS. Madstone is perfectly viable and potentially stronger in solo play.

With Gungdo, you get extra explosions on mobs that die, but only one per mob. As rift tier gets higher, the amount of time each mob lives goes up, and the value of having EP on every mob automatically goes down (since your SSS has more time to spread it with madstone).

The explosion from U6 spreads EP with Gungdo, if the mobs die or not. That's why in higher rifts having madstone is practically worthless.

If I'm farming rifts or bounties I'll swap spirit guards for madstone.

@OP, as it has been said multiple times, cube Broken Promise, and Spirit Guards. With spirit guards, Epiphany and Binding of the Lost belt, I'm well into 150mil toughness (think I spike over 220mil in a group). I've finished GR52 with about 6mins to spare and no real threat of dying if I played it smart.