AC rune: slow burn

Witch Doctor
Sorry if this is explained somewhere. I read a few article saying is the best rune but didn't explain why it is better than fire rune which share similar skill DMG%(but deal all damage upfront). Can someone share me the link explaining this?

Thanks
Slow Burn is nice because it lasts longer and if your target stays in the area of effect the entire duration it yields the most damage.
the difference is slow burn deals ~1000% weapon damage, 300 initial damage + 700 dot damage, vs just the 700 fire damage up front.
Ah. Thanks wadss. That makes sense then. But 6 seconds is a long time
09/12/2015 06:58 PMPosted by MOTHERGOOSE
Ah. Thanks wadss. That makes sense then. But 6 seconds is a long time

agreed, its especially bad vs leaping and flying mobs. but then again, when you're pushing high gr, you're always building for optimal mob types.
I actually run zombie wall on my HT/AC, and make my own groupings, as well as letting me skill-knock back most diving enemy types, so slow burn is a natural choice for my build.
Acid rain and slow burn drop three pools.
If an enemy stands on two or three of the pools, they take two or three times the DoT damage.
Yea, the DoT "puke" runes use is actually made up of three areas that overlap like a Venn diagram. If you get a mob in the right spot it can deal 2-3 x DoT damage. This makes acid rain and slow burn great.

Acid rain is best for speed farming and I use slow burn in gr55+, esp with pull monks.

I like to sometimes throw on a cinder coat and rorg (drop CoE) and use fire bomb too. Stack fire and use the fire spitting skull bomb and you will actually do really solid burst and get lots of lob blobs out (I find this is great on uber fights). This set-up works alongside U6 monks. Burst damage from firebomb pops trash, everything dies except champion but you blobs make quick work of that... Also, it's less work managing CoE rotations (which is tough in a group with lots of buffs on).
They nerfed Acid Cloud when trying to fix the lagg of the helltooth set.

I tested it on first day of patch hwn I tried to compare the single target performance of Acid Cloud version vs. Zombie charger.

Acid Clouds Dot of mimics used to stack, so cold rune was really really good. Now, since they nerfed that and Acid Clouds DOTs do not stack anymore, it can only advise you to use acid rain or fire rune.
(if case u even continue to play WD with these ridiculous laggs atm..)
Ah.. getting even more confused now.

If I apply say 5 times slow burn, so there will be 5 stacks of DOT on the floor, right? And then mimic might add another few layers.

Is that how it works?
09/13/2015 08:30 PMPosted by MOTHERGOOSE
Ah.. getting even more confused now.

If I apply say 5 times slow burn, so there will be 5 stacks of DOT on the floor, right? And then mimic might add another few layers.

Is that how it works?

yes
09/13/2015 08:05 PMPosted by Shameless
Does the slow burn lob lob cold damage?

According to D3planner, no. It takes +poison only.

But according to other sources, yes:

08/28/2015 01:51 PMPosted by AlCalzone
Someone tested on the PTR and came to this conclusion:
The blob takes the element of the chosen rune and is buffed by aligning elemental damage.
However it gets buffed by CoE when CoE is on the poison rotation.
d3planner is not always correct. But then, mechanics might have changed from the PTR.

If someone can confirm that my quote is still correct, you might want to file a bug report on d3planner. Riv is usually quick at fixing this kind of stuff.
Blobs take on the damage of whatever rune is slotted and is subsequently buffed by CoE on whatever rune is slotted. Cold for cold, Fire for Fire etc.
basically you want to benefit from several rotations of CoE instead of just fire.
09/15/2015 12:49 PMPosted by RedQueen
basically you want to benefit from several rotations of CoE instead of just fire.

Hmm, I've seen this logic pop up over and over, but I don't agree.

No matter how many elements you use, the average buff from CoE is still 50%. While spreading out your elements gives you some kind of fail-safe against missing the one element's rotation, you lose the specialized elemental damage (up to 40%) during all the off-elements.

Some basic math, assuming 40% fire elemental damage on gear:
a) 100% of your damage is fire. This is buffed by 40% and then by 50% average through CoE:
100% x 1.4 x 1.5 = 210%
b) 50% of your damage is fire, 50% cold. Fire is buffed by 40%, both are buffed by 50% average through CoE:
50% x 1.4 x 1.5 + 50% x 1.5 = 180%
c) 25% of your damage is fire, 25% cold, 25% poison, 25% physical: Fire is buffed by 40%, all elements by 50% average through CoE:
25% x 1.4 x 1.5 + 3 x (25% x 1.5) = 165%.

In the case of Acid Cloud, the "off-element" deals more (and more reliable) damage than the "correct" element, which favors not aligning to one element only.
You don't get 40% elemental on gear because you need 3 sockets, max CHC and CHD from your jewelry.

So you get the bracer 20, and you use it for fire.

During fire, you are spamming fire wall - or spiders, even though spiders are really just for mana and as filler/F+R prep. Most other phases you spam AC, with occasional spiders for mana/F+R

The greatest thing about slow burn is that A) the DD portion is poison and poison precedes cold in the CoE rotation, and the dot is cold, so your damage benefits from both phases. You can also 'lead' the fire wall in cold phase because it lasts 8s, while your cold dots are still ticking for bonus.

Other than that slow burn is presumably the highest damage per mana use if the whole "300 initial hit" from the slow burn rune itself is true, and also the 'triple pool venn diagram' theory is true.
09/13/2015 04:47 PMPosted by VanHelsing
They nerfed Acid Cloud when trying to fix the lagg of the helltooth set.

I tested it on first day of patch hwn I tried to compare the single target performance of Acid Cloud version vs. Zombie charger.

Acid Clouds Dot of mimics used to stack, so cold rune was really really good. Now, since they nerfed that and Acid Clouds DOTs do not stack anymore, it can only advise you to use acid rain or fire rune.
(if case u even continue to play WD with these ridiculous laggs atm..)

When was this?

I tested, recorded and posted a video showing it stacking maybe two weeks ago?

Should I be testing again tonight for safe measure?