Can we not call it the "Kanye" Cube?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
Apparently the cube was named after a member of the dev team who died from cancer. I can't think of anything worse than to rename it after a self absorbed jerk like Kanye
08/23/2015 12:16 PMPosted by Java4Steve
Apparently the cube was named after a member of the dev team who died from cancer. I can't think of anything worse than to rename it after a self absorbed jerk like Kanye

Yeah well, that's just the reason it is done, to piss people off and then tell them they are overreacting; to make a mockery of those who hold anything sacred.
08/23/2015 12:34 PMPosted by Bombus
08/23/2015 12:16 PMPosted by Java4Steve

Yeah well, that's just the reason it is done, to piss people off and then tell them they are overreacting; to make a mockery of those who hold anything sacred.

And then there's reality where the people who call it kanye cube probably had no negative intention whatsoever, but random religious fanatics who are offended by basically everything and think they're being "disrespected" any time anyone doesn't cater to them and cave to their beliefs take it to another place.

Ironically, those people are actually far more disrespectful than anyone calling it the kanye cube as they have the audacity to speak on behalf of a dead person they never knew and use his name and death as a justification for their pointless righteous cause.

Without having ever known him, I would expect he wouldn't care at all what people call the cube named after him because he was likely more intelligent and less uptight than the people in this thread that think it's a big deal.
regardless of ppl's opinions and moralities, kanai's memory will always be honored with the cube being permanently called the kanai cube for however long the game remains. that's all that matters.
08/23/2015 01:42 PMPosted by Borg
And then there's reality where the people who call it kanye cube probably had no negative intention whatsoever

Perhaps no intentions but as a joke, or to celebrate Kanye. Thing is that it happens on another's expense and when people reject it someone like you step up to argue that they have all the right in the world to call it whatever they like and have no ill intent what so ever despite it turning out that way in the eyes of others.

but random religious fanatics who are offended by basically everything and think they're being "disrespected" any time anyone doesn't cater to them and cave to their beliefs take it to another place.

You think this is about religion? This is very much about real people who live their life today, not ghosts.

Ironically, those people are actually far more disrespectful than anyone calling it the kanye cube as they have the audacity to speak on behalf of a dead person they never knew and use his name and death as a justification for their pointless righteous cause.

Ironically, you don't understand that this is not about deaders turning in their grave, but of living people feeling unease because some crackhead rename their memorial to a person of dubious intents.

Typically, people like you try and stomp out any attempt at decency in the name of freedom, the freedom to be an a55hat whenever you feel like it. You usually try to turn whatever weapon that was used against you towards your opposition: It is them who are disrespectful, not the ones who rename a memorial of a deceased Blizzard employee to a shady rapper's.

Without having ever known him, I would expect he wouldn't care at all what people call the cube named after him because he was likely more intelligent and less uptight than the people in this thread that think it's a big deal.

Not about him and not about knowing or no, it about what is decent and right.
You are one who try and have people sit down, who stand up for good, telling them to mind their own business. You do that for no apparent reason. Perhaps just to argue, but it does leave me wondering what goes on in your mind.

08/23/2015 01:53 PMPosted by Dieftw
regardless of ppl's opinions and moralities, kanai's memory will always be honored with the cube being permanently called the kanai cube for however long the game remains. that's all that matters.

Yes, that's right.
It's a good gesture, I respect that; I'll think about it when I use the cube.
Yo Kanai, I'm happy for your life achievements, I'mma let you finish, but the horadric cube was the best cube of all time.
I have never called it the Kanye cube, never plan to, and see no reason why I would ever want to or would enjoy doing so up and until I open it and a Kardashian pops out.

When I heard the backstory behind it, I had a nice warm fuzzy feeling about Blizzard's behind the scenes recognition of a valued colleague. I still do, as to Blizzard's acts.

But despite all that, as soon as this becomes a movement of political correctness, with some righteous players coming out of the woodwork to tell me why its important that I be observant and respectful about what should have been a largely beneath the surface gesture, my focus and feeling are somewhere else entirely. I still don't want to call it the Kanye cube but I just as strongly don't want to be an involuntary member of some in-game political movement.

One more reason to keep chat channels off screen I guess.
08/22/2015 01:27 PMPosted by Reik
I've seen a lot of people nicknaming the Kanai Cube as the "Kanye" cube over different gaming communities. In the article where they detailed the cube they mention it is the namesake of a very special and important membe

Stop! Now I'mma let you finish but the Horadric Cube was the greatest cube of all time.
r of the Diablo 3 development team, Kevin Kanai Griffith, who passed away from ASPS, a rare sub-type of Sarcomas, which itself is a rare form of cancer.

This isn't like calling the Xbox One the XBone, the name is very important, and I think it's important we nip this in the bud right now and all agree to call it by it's given name. Thank you.
I'll call it what I want. Don't tell me what to do OP.

Kanye west cube!
Most people who watch or read the news already know Kanye is a piece of sh*t. Well, sh*ts are usually cylindrical, but they can sometimes be in pellet form (goats) or free-form, in the case of diarrhea. But. Never. A. Cube. That's why the expression "When you see it, you will sh*t bricks" is not to be taken literally.

So no, I would never call it Kanye's Cube.

Having said that, making fun of Kanai's Cube isn't such a big deal. It's a game. I "get" where the OP is coming from, but it's the internet. Who knows, maybe the devs will take offense at the disrepect in the community making fun of someone close to their hearts, associating their departed friend with a douche like Kanye. Maybe that will make them start reading D3 forum posts and listen to the community instead of going through social media.
id call it the Kenya cube before the Kanye cube, after all more people know about Kenya than Kanye. anyway Kanai isnt that hard to spell either, maybe retarded people just cant spell right? id just pity them instead, no need to get mad.
08/24/2015 03:06 AMPosted by doofmeister
making fun of Kanai's Cube isn't such a big deal. It's a game. I "get" where the OP is coming from, but it's the internet.

Yeah sure, it's no big deal; but it is still offensive to rename a memorial to a dubious figure's name. It is what it is, and I dislike when people talk big and loud about how it suddenly is not what it is.
Still disrespectful; may very well be intended to be disrespectful also, if only because people take offense; as if to show people how silly they are when they are offended by something intended to offend them.

Perhaps people need a bit of a remainder on what is actually what sometimes.
I've seen a lot of people nicknaming the Kanai Cube as the "Kanye" cube over different gaming communities. In the article where they detailed the cube they mention it is the namesake of a very special and important member of the Diablo 3 development team, Kevin Kanai Griffith, who passed away from ASPS, a rare sub-type of Sarcomas, which itself is a rare form of cancer.

This isn't like calling the Xbox One the XBone, the name is very important, and I think it's important we nip this in the bud right now and all agree to call it by it's given name. Thank you.

In that case we may as well name it (Punk @$$ B17CH Cube)....Because that is what Kanye West is.....
Since no one has posted it, 'Kanye's Cube' came from Quin69 mispronouncing it in his video showcasing the new functionality on the PTR. Maybe there are others as well, but this was the first time I saw a reference with that name over a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0A0Hh-Vo9c
Good for those of you who respect what it represents (or corrected once became aware) and shame on those who think it funny to be knowingly disrespectful.
Nobody that wants respect will call it that. Don't worry OP.

Can't cave to loud minorities or memespouting e-celebs.
08/22/2015 02:24 PMPosted by Jako
It is definitely disrespectful in my opinion.

Only to those that know of its origins.

Most people do not know that. It's important to remember that 99% of any games player base doesn't go to their forums, official or otherwise.

They can't disrespect what they have no clue about.
the 'imma let you finish but i got one thing to sa-fe" cube.
You asking people not to call it the "Kanye" cube has just provoked me into wanting to call it the Kanye cube from this moment forward.

Thank you.
I've seen a lot of people nicknaming the Kanai Cube as the "Kanye" cube over different gaming communities. In the article where they detailed the cube they mention it is the namesake of a very special and important member of the Diablo 3 development team, Kevin Kanai Griffith, who passed away from ASPS, a rare sub-type of Sarcomas, which itself is a rare form of cancer.

If anything, you just got a lot more people to call it Kanye's Cube now. lol