[Guide] HotA: The Gavel Build

Barbarian
Prev 1 6 7 8 38 Next
So it sounds like Taeguk overall is better than Stricken if you can keep up the stacks?

Right now I'm running BotT, Stricken, and PE for my 3 gems when I run HotA.

I also run Nerves of Steel over Superstition also... dunno.
09/02/2015 04:20 PMPosted by Liakos
09/02/2015 03:54 PMPosted by KingBenjamin
***UPDATE***

I updated the Skill Build section to include multiple levels of player experience. I've also cleaned up some other areas.

Why no Nerves of Steel anywhere, seems more effective than superstition, or did I miss something?

Ultimately for clearing +60 GRs you will need all the dps you can get. The most valuable eHP passive is Superstition because it provides the dmg reduction as well as generate fury that helps maintain lpfs, berserker rage, and Taeguk.

I left NoS out from early stages of the build because early on players should get use to not counting on plan B and learn to notice warning signs to move away from danger.

Players need to learn what gets you One Shotted and avoid those things entirely. There only a handful of things that one shot you. If you are dying too much from many things then that means your set is not optimize because of either gear quality, gem levels, paragon level and/or HotA play skill level.

1-3 deaths are allowed. First death especially is forgiving. That said, it is more effective to replace NoS with a dps passive because if you are well geared and understand how to clear maps then you will not be failing the GR because deaths but because a lack of DPS.

Now if you prefer the idea of NoS by all means use it as you will probably perform better with something you feel more comfortable with.
I haven't tried it without NoS just yet.

My 65 clear was with a eye of etlich (%fire), NoS, ruthless, BR and rampage.

LpFs on belt and the gabel with LpH. I keep the 10% more damage.

Maybe I really need a hellfail ammy with fire damage and a DPS passive.
Hey KB & All , you wanna get a good laugh ? Check this out ,,, HeHe .

Some of you may have been reading all of the posts in this thread . If you saw my posts in here you may recall that I said I wasn't doing so well in solo GR. Only got to 58 so far.

Well I can see why now ,,, Duhhh . I NEVER HAD ANY PARAGON POINTS ON FURY ,,, NOT ONE ,,, NADDA !!! NOT SINCE PATCH STARTED ....

Mother of God , what the hell was I thinking , Dammit Anyway ,,, HeHehe .

No Frikken Wonder I was struggling ,,, HaHa !

Now that I have maxed it I am doing much better , at least in groups I am , so I'm pretty sure I may be able to hit that 60 in solo now ,,,, LMFAO

Some good may have come out of this though . maybe since I played so well being quite a bit weaker than I should have been , it may have made me a better player with this build though.

I'm a gonna try them solo's again now needless to say ,,, LOL
Thanks so much for the recent update; I can't wait to get the necessary gear to put this into action! One quick question, would you mind providing a typical "rotation" or strategy for your gameplay and skill usage? Thanks!
Is Taeguk better than stricken? If so why is everyone on the boards rocking stricken?
How significant is atk speed in hota builds?. I've seen some decked out in speed and with pain enhancer it's really crazy fast
Thanks for the write up KBJ.

Had a quick play test with this build last night, and it works as advertised.

Reminds me of vanilla, good times.
09/01/2015 03:55 AMPosted by ReGGaeBOSS
for season, I guess you would switch teaguk/esotoric for Stricken? Maby use esotoric for high groups?

I use taeguk/bott/esoteric for speed runs/lower GR b/c there's just not enough time for stricken or PE to provied much help. For SC I'd recommend probably botp instead of esoteric if you have enough ehp to stay alive most of the time. However, once you get higher, you don't want esoteric. Your high GR gems are, in order of my preference:

1. PE
2. taeguk
2. stricken
2. bott

Basically, you want to use PE + 2 out of those other 3. If you're in non-season then the choice is easy, if you're in season then I'd say that in the 60's taeguk + bott is usually best, but in the 70's, esp in group, bott + stricken should win out most of the time.

09/01/2015 10:06 AMPosted by Convoy
Just a heads up for anyone that doesn't know: if you want to upgrade "rare" with cube to get a HOTA you can go to merchants in each act and they sometimes carry rare 2H mighty weapons (since you can't get them from the Artisan).

Or, you could craft 2h mighty weapons and then upgrade them...

09/01/2015 02:23 PMPosted by TeeBag
@Haybaler drop the DH n run with a zds monk you'll easily get close to 70 if u have another Barb running IP you should run faltet to maximize dmg.

09/01/2015 02:36 PMPosted by Haybaler
09/01/2015 02:23 PMPosted by TeeBag
@Haybaler drop the DH n run with a zds monk you'll easily get close to 70 if u have another Barb running IP you should run faltet to maximize dmg.

I appreciate this TeaBag , really I do , and excuse my ignorants plz , but what is IP on other barb your talking about and what is faltet ?

Thanks Man !

He meant: Threatening shout - falter

A really nice group setup looks like:

1. regen monk
2. hota barb
3. dps ww barb with mob rule instead of ignorance is bliss
4. ?? Open spot - WD or another hota or Ulianas or a solid wiz or DH...heck, I even did a 60 with a crusader last night.

I really hope that we see that 4th spot rotate around through every class this season, with lots from each class on leaderboards. Not sure if Crusader will be able to make the cut in SC, though they just might in HC as a 4th.

That WW dps/mob rule barb is extremely important on the highest GR. I've played with some good ones who can use harpoon to pull everything to you, and I've played with some good ones who use TS - Demoralize, both look to be pretty nice. They have some good options for sure, but they one thing they CAN'T do is run off and leave the party, or kite ahead, look for mobs, etc etc etc. Even with regen monk, people can and do die without that extra mitigation. I lost a hota barb on a 66 on the ptr when the WW barb ran too far ahead, then I helped Carpe die on a 65 in live before s4 started when *I* made the same mistake and ran to the other side of a nasty pack. With huge paragons, dmg scaling, strickens, etc etc etc...we're looking at probably mid 70's for HC this season and...I dunno, 80 in SC? 85?

Anyway, that WW barb is probably going to be a big part of it, at least in s4. Not sure if he can help out enough vs the RG in non-season to be viable.
09/01/2015 03:42 PMPosted by Bliss
i've been playing around with some new wizard builds lately but i have a decent hota build ready to try out too. ahh back to the blood thirst days with 150k LGHB from back in the dual wield days.

HOTA definitely has some potential to throw out some astounding damage numbers though. i was just playing around and set a max damage build (all fire, f/r , COV cubed, etc) and on my first run it popped a t10 riftguard in one shot. critting up into the 2-4 billion range at times i think!

it looks like its going to be a bit of a nightmare to maintain those taeguk stacks though.

2-4b is just starting out dmg, you can get more like 15b solo and maybe double that in groups when you hit it right vs an elite with coe + ruthless + rampage all up.

To maintain Taeguk stacks, spam BR, or, in really empty areas, smash the ground. It's a serious pita for a week or two, but, once you learn it, it's really no different from keeping taeguk up back in the WW dark ages of early RoS.

09/03/2015 08:11 AMPosted by Murugaratham
How significant is atk speed in hota builds?. I've seen some decked out in speed and with pain enhancer it's really crazy fast

Ias on weapon is ok b/c that is multiplicative with ias from PE, but ias on gear is nearly worthless. I'd roll cc before ias on gear when using PE...the only time I use ias on gear even now, at the start of season, is for my rift and lower GR farming build that uses esoteric instead of PE.
I got a trifecta focus, now I can't choose between an anc with str vs it
Put together my hota alt on season 4 last night and this build is the bees knees! So much dps!! Not sure why my profile isn't updated though but rolled a gg hellfire amulet with 10 cc and 100 cd with the blood thirst passive!

I mainly used WW before but didn't think the dps output was so big between the 2 builds! Keep up the good work man!
Use Trifecta for WW, Ancient for HotA
It's so sticky in here...
Grats on sticky bud
09/02/2015 06:04 PMPosted by KingBenjamin
Players need to learn what gets you One Shotted and avoid those things entirely.

Great advice. Simply paying attention to how you die is critical for pushing your personal best and improving in group play. If starting out, use NoS. There is nothing wrong with taking time to learn. Keep track of what procs NoS. I played this HotA build for the first time this morning.

I usually run a new build with training wheels. NoS HellFail, defensive passives and BoP over Taeguk.

When I learn a build I want to focus on the biggest factors first.

Am I having fun?
Do I have enough fury?
Am I able to stay alive?
Can I keep up with my clan of crazed barbarians?

Good updates Ben. Nice to see a sticky for a current build. Well done.
Just curious why u listed 24 Max Fury 2x on Gravel on your list, probably just a small mistake, but could be fixed.
08/30/2015 01:37 PMPosted by kingdo
#4. Rampage/ruthless as passives, than 3 other defensive/healing ones for defense as well as diamonds in chest/legs because everyone's gonna be high paragon and power creep from exp causes strength to be water d down and less valuable

After doing some testing I found that Rampage is indeed a must skill to load up with. Thanks for making me aware of it kingdo. I honestly had the impression that it was a waste of slot because I thought it would have terribad low up-time. It turns out that it's an awesome passive to run for both DPS and Armor Buff because, although it is not 100% up all the time, when you find Dat Rift it will be packed with mobs and that Armor/DPS will be gravy with low down time (talking Solo GR push, as always in this thread....for groups it is a no brainier).

09/02/2015 04:35 PMPosted by YDFWM
Oh Ben fix my sad barb please

As you know my barb retired when ROS hit so I am complete noob with it now.

Hit me up when next time you see me on brah :)

09/02/2015 07:43 PMPosted by JimMoriarty
I haven't tried it without NoS just yet.

My 65 clear was with a eye of etlich (%fire), NoS, ruthless, BR and rampage.

LpFs on belt and the gabel with LpH. I keep the 10% more damage.

Maybe I really need a hellfail ammy with fire damage and a DPS passive.

HFAs are pretty powerful. EoE are super nice too because of the Range Damage Reduction. Either ammy will do well just depends what you feel you need more of.

For theorycrafting purposes I've found my current ammy to do very well for the set's Healing:

fire%
CHD
*LpH*
os

I'm giving up 10% CHC but overall I'm at 93.8% HotA CHC so that's good enough to replace the missing CHC from ammy with LpH. Given I have LpFs on Gavel and Belt, this side healing of LpH feels soooo nice. What I'm really giving up here is ~1000 STR potential. Is it really worth it?...I can't say for sure if its optimal but so far I I'm digging it very much. The ammy is on my hota barb if you wanna check it out.

09/02/2015 10:04 PMPosted by JoeNatty
Thanks so much for the recent update; I can't wait to get the necessary gear to put this into action! One quick question, would you mind providing a typical "rotation" or strategy for your gameplay and skill usage? Thanks!

I'm going to be vacationing for the next couple of weeks but when I get back I'll see if I put something together showcasing the build.

09/03/2015 07:58 AMPosted by ReGGaeBOSS
Is Taeguk better than stricken? If so why is everyone on the boards rocking stricken?

From what I've seen S4 gem selection is:

BotT , PE , Stricken

I haven't set foot in S4 but just by looking at Top Leaderboard's profiles it seems to be what works.

09/03/2015 01:43 PMPosted by Tao
09/02/2015 06:04 PMPosted by KingBenjamin
Players need to learn what gets you One Shotted and avoid those things entirely.

Great advice. Simply paying attention to how you die is critical for pushing your personal best and improving in group play. If starting out, use NoS. There is nothing wrong with taking time to learn. Keep track of what procs NoS. I played this HotA build for the first time this morning.

I usually run a new build with training wheels. NoS HellFail, defensive passives and BoP over Taeguk.

When I learn a build I want to focus on the biggest factors first.

Am I having fun?
Do I have enough fury?
Am I able to stay alive?
Can I keep up with my clan of crazed barbarians?

Good updates Ben. Nice to see a sticky for a current build. Well done.

Well put Tao!

Just as a reminder that this build works but also do other variations of it. Feel free to test other common skills/passives to find your niche.

Currently I feel confident that the Barbarianinja build is the most optimal to run (assuming GG gear/gems/para #endgame) for Top Leaderboard fishing. 2.3 era is in its early stage so I can still come across something to change the endgame build, however, this is what I ran for 65 and what I'll be running for 66.

Barbarianinja is in honor of one of our Hall of Fame resident hero's. #FrayitEZ

09/03/2015 02:59 PMPosted by CooLTanG
Just curious why u listed 24 Max Fury 2x on Gravel on your list, probably just a small mistake, but could be fixed.

Fixed. TY!

Thanks for the support everyone.

#wtfrayjusthappened
Sticky mexicant... Que donde esta elotes... Pronto footoe
'grats on the sticky KB