[Guide] HotA: The Gavel Build

Barbarian
Prev 1 7 8 9 38 Next
09/02/2015 07:43 PMPosted by JimMoriarty
I haven't tried it without NoS just yet.

My 65 clear was with a eye of etlich (%fire), NoS, ruthless, BR and rampage.

LpFs on belt and the gabel with LpH. I keep the 10% more damage.

Maybe I really need a hellfail ammy with fire damage and a DPS passive.

HFAs are pretty powerful. EoE are super nice too because of the Range Damage Reduction. Either ammy will do well just depends what you feel you need more of.

For theorycrafting purposes I've found my current ammy to do very well for the set's Healing:

fire%
CHD
*LpH*
os

I'm giving up 10% CHC but overall I'm at 93.8% HotA CHC so that's good enough to replace the missing CHC from ammy with LpH. Given I have LpFs on Gavel and Belt, this side healing of LpH feels soooo nice. What I'm really giving up here is ~1000 STR potential. Is it really worth it?...I can't say for sure if its optimal but so far I I'm digging it very much. The ammy is on my hota barb if you wanna check it out.
Hey, not a bad idea rolls with LoH on the ammy. If someday drops to me a new gavel with max fury and LpfS native (not impossibiru), I could use that.

Respect to the max ancient STR potential I prefer the fire damage, just because rampage and like you say, with a massive density the bonus of rampage works reaaaally good.

But, that STR it´s a big number but to me elemental damage always win. That is the mainly reason why I decided for EoE too.

Maybe run it without LpH in the amy and see the difference. With CHD and fire damage as mandatory stats if there is enough fury one slot stays to the taste of the player.

09/03/2015 07:22 PMPosted by TeeBag
Sticky mexicant... Que donde esta elotes... Pronto footoe
¿"Pronto fotos" querías decir? :o
Where do you drop crit?

Helm has: 1000 str / 1000 vit/ 15% hota / 6% cc / socket
Neck has: 1000 str / 20% elem / 10% cc / 100% chd / socket

crit from fury: 41.2%
crit from base/paragon/BR/WotB: 23.0%
base sum = 64.2%

Missing 35.8%

Helm, bracers, gloves, neck, ring1 and ring2 are 44.0% cc max.

Dropping only 6% is not enough.
Dropping 10% is 1.8% below cap
Dropping 12% is 3.8% below cap but there is no good option to loose another 6%. Well maybe for 6% aps on rings.
Great guide.

been loving HOTA build this season, good change of pace from WW and i agree that it requires a lot more thinking when it comes to dodging attacks / timing ur charge to stun and interrupt and lining up damage.

couple of questions, and i apologize if these have already been answered.

- is convention of elements not a good option for your ring cube slot? right now i use striding giant instead of insanity and i cube CoE. What i do is stack them up with charge and go ham once fire element is up. would 50% constant dmg be greater then 200% dmg every 12 seconds?

- i see no mention of bane of the stricken gem and i am currently not using taeguk (I will be switching to this as i failed to clear a 57 by about 10 seconds - the extra armor would of helped out).

for gems i use

bane of the stricken
pain enhancer
Bane of the trapped

I'm guessing i should remove bane of the stricken for taeguk?

thanks
09/04/2015 01:56 AMPosted by zork
Where do you drop crit?

base sum = 64.2%

Missing 35.8%

Dropping 12% is 3.8% below cap but there is no good option to loose another 6%. Well maybe for 6% aps on rings.

You don't want any ias on gear (other than perhaps goj as that's a different category) b/c it stacks additively with PE...ie, it will be watered down tremendously for most of a good rift.
Where do you drop crit?

base sum = 64.2%

Missing 35.8%

The first post is misleading, because the Fury bonus includes +8 from SoJ and +20 from Animosity, neither of which you actually lose.

I think the first post should be updated to realistic crit cap for the HotA build which would only be 104.2%. In that case with perfect rolls and HotA % on helm instead of 6% crit you would sit at 98.2% crit, which I believe 15% HotA would be better than 1.8% crit to cap.

But realistically without perfect rolls you probably need the 6% crit on helm since it's really hard to get max + fury on Gavel/Belt and perfect Crit Rolls + Ancient gear on everything. And I think 6% crit chance with like 500% CHD is better than 15% HotA...
KB, any chance you can add to this guide a "is HOTA fun" question in the FAQs?

Cheers.
CC123
Looking for some feedback on the fun factor of this build for group and solo speed/reg greater rifts and rifts vs other current builds.

Not as interested in LBs right now but may work on this build if it's enjoyable for more regular play too.

Is it fluid, w/o being to micro? Fun in general? Why do you enjoy hota play for more than just high GR clear potential? Thanks
Ok guys bit of help if possible did a 60 with seconds to spare but damn 61 is like a wall feels like I have low dps I mean 6 hundred mil crits and very rarely billion did I miss something or that's about it with current gear and paragon .
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/AtuTheBear-2661/hero/4979917
Thanks for any comments
@Thebear: got the wrong pants on?
The nob did it allright
Was late last night after I did the 60 changed some stuff around and tryed several 61's looked and looked around on skills and gear and didn't spot my error guess it's time to have another go and see how it pans out . Thanks for pointing out the obvious
09/04/2015 11:04 PMPosted by Primal
Is it fluid, w/o being to micro? Fun in general? Why do you enjoy hota play for more than just high GR clear potential?

Great question.

Short answer: HotA is fun.

Now before anyone gets all excited and says "Of course you think it's fun Tao! You always talk about how fun the game is!"

Allow me to elaborate.

The Barbarian is Furious Power Made Manifest in the Flesh.

If you've experienced this, you know what I'm talking about. Crushing your foes before you. Feeling IMMORTAL against unlimited foes. Seeing screen upon screen packed with demons and only getting that giddy joy that you were about to watch them all explode.

Feeling unstoppable.

That is until you had to fight one on one against anything.

If you've ever felt the disgust of having un-heroically low single target damage, you are going to love playing HotA.

Instead of seeing that single foe and sighing with resignation, you'll charge forward in Furious Battle Rage and Slam them back into Hell with the Hammer of the Ancients.

Have fun.
Thanks Tao, I loved my WW barb but I will say the single target thing was my least favorite part of that build. I appreciate the specific feedback on your experience.

Love more feedback from others too on:

Is it fluid, w/o being to micro? Fun in general? Why do you enjoy hota play for more than just high GR clear potential?
09/04/2015 09:53 AMPosted by Rontu
Great guide.

been loving HOTA build this season, good change of pace from WW and i agree that it requires a lot more thinking when it comes to dodging attacks / timing ur charge to stun and interrupt and lining up damage.

couple of questions, and i apologize if these have already been answered.

- is convention of elements not a good option for your ring cube slot? right now i use striding giant instead of insanity and i cube CoE. What i do is stack them up with charge and go ham once fire element is up. would 50% constant dmg be greater then 200% dmg every 12 seconds?

- i see no mention of bane of the stricken gem and i am currently not using taeguk (I will be switching to this as i failed to clear a 57 by about 10 seconds - the extra armor would of helped out).

for gems i use

bane of the stricken
pain enhancer
Bane of the trapped

I'm guessing i should remove bane of the stricken for taeguk?

thanks

I did several test runs on +60's using CoE + Striding Giant and it works decently especially against elites but the inconsistency having to time your CoE right makes it less DMG effective, at least with my testing.

Do use Stricken for S4 in place for Taeguk. I haven't tested it yet since I don't play s4 but from what I've seen that is the normal gem swap.

09/04/2015 11:26 AMPosted by Strifey
Where do you drop crit?

base sum = 64.2%

Missing 35.8%

The first post is misleading, because the Fury bonus includes +8 from SoJ and +20 from Animosity, neither of which you actually lose.

I think the first post should be updated to realistic crit cap for the HotA build which would only be 104.2%. In that case with perfect rolls and HotA % on helm instead of 6% crit you would sit at 98.2% crit, which I believe 15% HotA would be better than 1.8% crit to cap.

But realistically without perfect rolls you probably need the 6% crit on helm since it's really hard to get max + fury on Gavel/Belt and perfect Crit Rolls + Ancient gear on everything. And I think 6% crit chance with like 500% CHD is better than 15% HotA...

The Max Fury was just show the "possibilities" of how much HotA CHC you can get from Max Fury, but, I can see how it can be misleading as some may just look at the number and assume that's the goal. I'll update it to simplify it. TY.

09/04/2015 09:47 PMPosted by CC123
KB, any chance you can add to this guide a "is HOTA fun" question in the FAQs?

Cheers.
CC123

Done. TY Tao!

09/05/2015 03:42 AMPosted by AtuTheBear
Ok guys bit of help if possible did a 60 with seconds to spare but damn 61 is like a wall feels like I have low dps I mean 6 hundred mil crits and very rarely billion did I miss something or that's about it with current gear and paragon .
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/AtuTheBear-2661/hero/4979917
Thanks for any comments

Your set looks good (besides your pants :P) Only thing I'd suggest is to farm a decent HFA. That is the weakest slot you have atm (but no horrible just weakest).

What you are lacking atm is paragon points (aim for 800) and low Gem level (aim for 65 on all three for now).

Normally you want your Gem levels higher than the GR level you are trying to clear.
"Moon physics" still apply with HOTA correct?

....where you smash enemies and occasionally their bodies go flying in slow motion toward your screen?

I haven't played D3 in months but I'm gitty for this new HOTA build. This reminds me of the 1.08 perpetual Wrath + HOTA that was tearing it up in MP10.
Success story update: Took down GR60 in 13:38 last night with the CoE variant. I'm ready for some group runs with the big dogs. Thanks KB
Did some changes cough "pants" and test drive different ammy 61 got the shaft.
No luck on hellfire crafts gotta farm some machines...
Thanks for the great guide and advice KB
I have a damage versus survivability question in that I am wondering If i am focusing to much on survivability. I have yet to complete a 60 gr because time just runs out I have gotten within seconds a few times.

My profile hasn't updated http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BetamxBandit-1961/hero/19282242 but i now have an ancient strong arms in place of the bracers of the first men and I'm not using the leorics helm when trying to do higher rifts I alternate between pain enhancer and esoteric every few tries.

My main question is should I convert my vitality to %damage on my gavel. If I did that i would have around 980k life anyways. I was wondering if using bloodthirst plus a belt and weapon with lpfs which give me a total of 5100ish lpfs overkill and I would be better off using a more offensive passive..

I also want to add that i changed both of my focus and restraints and have added 101 chd today which has helped with the time and being almost able to clear a 60 gr

I do know that I have to get better versions of most of my items and that higher paragons will help. I just feel like I should be able to clear a 60 but maybe my skills are holding me back.
The guide recommends going w/o CHC on amy.

I have F&R with str/ ias/ chd/ os.

With that in mind, I was thinking of keeping the amy with ele%/ chc/ chd/ os with the above F&R.

Would this be an improvement?
Thanks for the great guide. I switched from Cleave and GS to FC and BR. I find myself at 100% of 180+ fury almost all of the time—without FotA—so I swapped in Vile Ward instead. Is anyone else experiencing this? Are there any other compelling reasons to use FotA?