Money lost its value, suggestion.

General Discussion
After the introduction of Kanai's cube, new goblin types/the vault, in my view the game has been given new life with some great new mechanics.The use for crafting mats (arcane dust, death breaths etc) has been given you a reason for you not to stockpile thousands upon thousands of them... but we have a seemingly useless currency.

If a merchant sold mats at an hefty/inflated price(it would need to be significant), would it be viable without breaking the game?

Or if a merchant sold a 'lotto' or 'mystery' packs at say 1m/10m/100m each, that could contain things such as blood shards, arcane dust, death breaths, legendaries etc.

Obviously there would need to be a sweet spot, but it feels the game needs a money sink in some shape or form. Apart from from repairs, the new mats needed for gem conversions and maybe dyes, money seems to have lost it's value and impact on the game.

Otherwise I'm all for paying 500m for more bank storage =)

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
I like it. Something needs to be done.
No.
How is this acceptable. I see post everyday where people are upset that bots. thud, and group play give others an edge in the game and they do not approve. now we have a suggestion that would further this discrepancy. Especially among newer players that have not accumulated wealth.

Just another lazy persons attempt to avoid the game content they dislike. Yet for that very reason the hypocrites will hop right on the + bus. Not ok if group offers and advantage over single player, not ok if some use bots and thud to top the leader board, but great if those people have done this or exploited the goblin shrines when they could to buy mats.

Really want a money sink. Blizzard cut everyone playing the games gold in half. Do it now because you can see how concerned they are about all this gold choking the server.

The bank storage idea is DOA. If blizzard were to implement something it would have to be in a fair manner.

You should put more thought into managing your inventory than ideas like this.
If you could use gold to gamble aside from bloodshards.

Rerolling legendary would use 100m gold instead of 25 death breath.
Gold has become Zimbabwe dollars.
While I can agree with the fact that buy-able mats coincides with botting and therefore would pose a problem, it just means the idea would have to be well thought out. My suggestion was merely that, a suggestion. Blizzard is more than capable of coming up with ideas (as they have proven time and time again, most recently with the Cube), I was merely pointing out that when you have a currency with no real value, it is a fundamental game problem.

However, the fact you call me 'lazy', say i 'dislike the content' and say "You should put more thought into managing your inventory than ideas like this" leads me to believe you're someone who doesn't see the problem. I have no quarrel with the content like you suggest, just a mechanic that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Also, I put crazy amounts of effort time into managing my bank space, and I mainly just play one class, though have all at 70. So I can only imagine how difficult it would be for those who regularly play 3 classes or more, especially given the recent revamp to several sets.

Yes it has become like Zimbabwe currency, you go " oh wow, I just got 70m from that vault.Now I have 700m... ill go do my 70k repairs"
Suggestions:
1. Golden Dragon (weapon) with the stat: This weapons consumes all gold you pick up and adds the same amount as weapon damage for 5 seconds. Picking up gold again resets the timer.
2. Buy pets/portraits/other graphical stuff
3. Improve Kadala's gamling chances
4. Buy "one time potions" giving +50%damage to follower or +200% Magic find to follower or Each time Death Breath drops they drops in pairs, etc etc. All one time potions lasts for 30 min, cannot stack and costs a lot of gold :)
I don't think you have to worry about this for blizz, look at how easy it is to recycle all your mats back into bits and bytes. I just feel so bad about seing all my death breaths to NPCs before. If anything I think the lesson for now is: save up as much money you can before they decide to take it all back.

The biggest money sink is the Auction House, who knows? Limit trades to an item a day that scales slowly with whatever plvl or GR or achievement points. Might be possible @@
I think what they've done with the mats is great, before there were just stacks sitting in the bank.

I think ultimately even just having the option to buy cosmetic items would be a good way to go about it. Be able to buy back pieces, pets, portraits, weapon/armour transmogs, new voices over packs for each class.

Although I'm confident they would be able to implement non-cosmetic things in that wouldn't support botting, cosmetic purchases seems an easy and simple way to sink money
Gold and gems are completely devaluated right now.

I'm quite certain that sinks for those are coming in 2.4
just stockpile gold and gems until then so you can complain the new Kanai cube recipes that uses them are overpowered because you got what you wanted in 10 minutes :P
I think in one of the latest Q&As they said they were developing some new gold sink that would put value back into gold and even gems.
09/10/2015 06:50 AMPosted by Kyosji
I think in one of the latest Q&As they said they were developing some new gold sink that would put value back into gold and even gems.

Correct.
We'll just have to wait and see what 2.4 brings.
100mil for 100 breaths
200mil for 250 random mat
Gamble 5m / 10m / 15m for items at Kadala
09/09/2015 04:57 AMPosted by Harwinne
Gold has become Zimbabwe dollars.
Gold has always been Zimbabwe dollars.

Even in vanilla, items on the AH went for 2 billion gold. 2 billion. Pre-ROS. No Boon of the Hoarder. Gold has always been useless. The only people that think otherwise were the ones that didn't have it.
09/10/2015 07:12 AMPosted by Jee
100mil for 100 breaths
rofl...
seriously, rofl.

People can get 100mil/minute with the right setup. Killing mobs that don't matter using Boon.

So I should be able to acquire 100 DB a minute? Let's say you're utterly un-optimized, and do 25mil/minute - that's 100 DB for 4 minutes? HAHAHAHAHA. Please.

Trying 1 DB = 100 mil.

But honestly, I can't see them tying gold to anything meaningful in this game. It's simply far too easy to acquire.
09/09/2015 09:26 AMPosted by Lkslowly
While I can agree with the fact that buy-able mats coincides with botting and therefore would pose a problem, it just means the idea would have to be well thought out. My suggestion was merely that, a suggestion. Blizzard is more than capable of coming up with ideas (as they have proven time and time again, most recently with the Cube), I was merely pointing out that when you have a currency with no real value, it is a fundamental game problem.

However, the fact you call me 'lazy', say i 'dislike the content' and say "You should put more thought into managing your inventory than ideas like this" leads me to believe you're someone who doesn't see the problem. I have no quarrel with the content like you suggest, just a mechanic that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Also, I put crazy amounts of effort time into managing my bank space, and I mainly just play one class, though have all at 70. So I can only imagine how difficult it would be for those who regularly play 3 classes or more, especially given the recent revamp to several sets.

Yes it has become like Zimbabwe currency, you go " oh wow, I just got 70m from that vault.Now I have 700m... ill go do my 70k repairs"

I apologize for offending you. However after seeing this same thing time and time again I am getting cynical about this. You can say how you feel but it does not change the facts that it would go down just as I portrayed it.

As for stacks of gold so what you could have 1000 billion, What is it clogging your inventory, taking space what is the issue. This is no different than those that want to use other mats in the cube because they have an excess of them. In the case of mats Blizzard has given us a way to exchange them, but I have never used it so I can't attest to how it works.
09/10/2015 03:00 AMPosted by Rogash
Suggestions:
1. Golden Dragon (weapon) with the stat: This weapons consumes all gold you pick up and adds the same amount as weapon damage for 5 seconds. Picking up gold again resets the timer.
2. Buy pets/portraits/other graphical stuff
3. Improve Kadala's gamling chances
4. Buy "one time potions" giving +50%damage to follower or +200% Magic find to follower or Each time Death Breath drops they drops in pairs, etc etc. All one time potions lasts for 30 min, cannot stack and costs a lot of gold :)

3. Improve Kadala's gamling chances- totally unacceptable. This is not a cosmetic thing at all nor is

4. Buy "one time potions" giving +50%damage to follower or +200% Magic find to follower or Each time Death Breath drops they drops in pairs we have a set that allows us to do that now. But not witht he follower. Again he is crossing the line from cosmetic to fuctional.
09/10/2015 06:43 AMPosted by Ignacius2002
Go for a specific roll on an item, spend five billion+ and come back saying gold isn`t useful.

It is very important to have piles of gold for getting that perfect roll, no other way around it.

It's not.

Death's Breaths and Forgotten Souls will bottleneck your enchants WAY before you run out of gold.
^he's right.