Speedy 600+ Death's Breaths per Hour

Wizard
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Experiment, people. You can also try using In-Geom in place of Aether Walker. 15 seconds should be enough to find the next pack and you get the benefit of no AP cost Teleport and practically spammable Frozen Mist, EB and Black Hole.
I've definitely thought about In-geom, have run many variations of this with Ranslors and Mistral breeze in place of nova or BH - a bit more mana intensive, but a crap ton of fun.

Twisters and eb going off while teleporting around gives me goose bumps! The pull effect from Ranslors seems to happen a lot.

Will be trying In Geom later today, agreed that skipping to next pack will almost always have its buff up,
Need input on my db farmer: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mad1Lee-2243/hero/66472256

If skills are not showing correctly, I am using same skills as Jaetch, except energy armor - energy tap instead of storm armor, Unstable Anomaly instead of Elemental Exposure and Blur instead of dominance (I am playing Hardcore). Farming T7 atm.

So my questions are:

- Blur versus Dominance? How well is Dominance proccing? How fat would be our shield on average?
- Any decent shoulder options? Besides ones I am wearing and ones with town portal.
- I have Nilfur's in cube (did not farm Pride's Fall yet), how good is there bonus in regards to meteors from Tal's set?
Right, Dominance is crap. 160k shield with max stacks is really nothing, any mob sneezes in my direction on t7 and shield is gone and so is a lot of hp (with 16 mill tougness.) Blur is better.
09/10/2015 09:53 PMPosted by Mad1Lee
- Blur versus Dominance? How well is Dominance proccing? How fat would be our shield on average?

You can safely assume full 10 stacks pretty much all the time. You move a lot. Stuff dies a lot. Absorbed damage doesn't cancel Pride's Fall buff, reduced damage does. Which makes Blur completely irrelevant in this spec. If you feel you lose your shield too often, throw a Gizzard in. You don't need maximum damage, just enough to spike elites.

- Any decent shoulder options? Besides ones I am wearing and ones with town portal.

Deathwatch Mantle is OK. The damage is decent and it procs often.
You can also opt for Firebird shoulders combined with another piece and drop Cindercoat. You'd have to manage your AP a bit more carefully but you get a cheat death. I reckon it's not bad for HC.

- I have Nilfur's in cube (did not farm Pride's Fall yet), how good is there bonus in regards to meteors from Tal's set?

Good as always. Meteors are your nuke, Nilfur's make it easier to spike elites. Again, however, you don't need maximum damage. So it's about whether you can one-shot elites with meteors or not.
Guess since I don't have Pride's Fall yet I will be sticking to Blur. But then again, when I used dominance, any damage was enough to cut thru shield and drain my hp, how is that going to help Pride's Fall passive?
Instant damage is always the best, which is why I wouldn't use skills like meteor in this kind of build.

EB, while perfectly good and lazy skill, covers a small area which might make it a bit tedious.

Meteor has the cast delays which is no good at all.

Personally I use near identical gear in the slots listed but chose heat wave over EB as the damage dealer since it is instant and has a larger AOE. The damage is less then EB but for T7 it works fine.

Farming DBs is horribly boring either way....
*walks behind Jaetch, picking up Death's Breaths*
I think the meteors are just from Tals procs, not the casted-skill. Anything with no cast animation, like EB works perfect. The "cold" skill frozen mist is nice as there is lots of CDR already and it's zero cost. Twister mistral breeze is fun, with ranslors. Targets are pulled and grouped nicely to tele on to and kill.
There are lots of valid substitutions.

A note on dominance - I run t9 and dominance stacks stay up easily in dense areas, keeping prides fall up. Everyone's play style will alter what skills and gear are used.

The small area of effect of EB is fine too because the whole point is to just kill Elite type packs and spawn them from shrines. Those packs are often grouped tightly so it works out nicely.

Unless you are running GR there's no reason to get 1 or 2 db when you can be getting 2 or 3 respectively. You can run bounties, rifts, ad mode, or whatever and collect db along the way.
Played with this build a bit today, lots of fun, thanx!

I really do need to figure out how to make an EB macro though on Mac :/.
This is my build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/grippgoat-1327/hero/37635320

I did about 250 DB's in 35 minutes on T8 rifts. I don't think my play was as efficient as it could be, and I think the build could use just a bit more tuning.

How it works:
- Trash is killed by apocalypse and DoT gems, a-la the 2.1 Firebird build. Sunkeeper helps to keep the DoT damage higher.
- You keep up Tal6 Fire/Arcane + Focus naturally by teleporting around and occasionally casting apocalypse. That's good enough to kill enough trash to keep Dominance up.
- When you get to an elite pack, make sure you drop Apocalypse on it (for EE and DoT procs, you can do this before the last teleport onto it), hit it with Glacial Spike to pin it, proc the Sig buff, and proc the cold meteor. Then unload Thunder Crashes. The first one triggers the free Tal2 one, since it's your only source of lightning, making it a nice double-tap burst. And just keep dumping meteors 'til it's dead. If you run out of AP, just shoot glacial spikes at trash to recover with APoC and let the DoT gems finish it.
- Besides just the DoT for trash killing, Pain Enhancer's IAS buff really helps you dump the meteors faster, especially if the elite is surrounded by trash, preventing Nilfur's from working.
- I generally prefer Arcanot to Conduit, because I find with my RCR and APoC levels, I'm fine when I'm killing stuff, and it's the recovery time after dumping AP and trying to teleport that's the bigger issue. In this scenario, Arcanot seems to work more consistently for me.

Things to improve:
- VIT -> 8 RCR on gloves would help shift the AP balance in the right direction. It's a bit too easy to run dry when I have to teleport a long way between packs, or when Pride's Fall drops.
- I want to try Audacity instead of EE. I'm typically at point-blank range on E's.
- I kind of want to try Conflagration or Iceblink (or both) to try and get the crits when it matters (on the E's). But I don't know that I want to drop either Gizzard or Dominance, and I'm not sure about the mechanics of CHC capping.
- I should try Energy Tap instead of Pinpoint Barrier, especially if I use Conflagration and/or Iceblink. Having more AP would probably help the E dump. Frozen Storm is out, because you want to save the cold meteor for E's as much as possible. Storm Armor is out, because I want that double-tap on the first Thunder Crash.
- It would probably be worthwhile to give up INT on one ring for RCR. Maybe I'll get there someday.
Question: Full clear, or just clear to the RG? The RG does drop a lot of DB's. But closing the rift is downtime. Hrm....
09/11/2015 11:56 AMPosted by grippgoat
Question: Full clear, or just clear to the RG? The RG does drop a lot of DB's. But closing the rift is downtime. Hrm....

I'm pretty sure you will have downtime closing a rift no matter where you stop...(?) You're better off starting a new rift and killing more guardians as far as I am concerned, as you get rift keystones and blood shards faster this way while still clearing plenty of elites.
09/11/2015 12:09 PMPosted by Windgrace
I'm pretty sure you will have downtime closing a rift no matter where you stop...(?)

True, but the comparison is 30 seconds wasted every 4 min rift clear
vs
30 seconds wasted every 8 min full-rift clear

You spend proportionally less time waiting in full clears.

However the blood shards alone area reason enough to close after the RG. Also you can port back in after you start the timer to keep clearing after the RG to make those 30 seconds not completely wasted.
09/11/2015 12:12 PMPosted by BDF
Also you can port back in after you start the timer to keep clearing after the RG to make those 30 seconds not completely wasted.

Yes! It is more than enough time to smash another pack or two.
09/11/2015 12:29 PMPosted by jHunter
Yes! It is more than enough time to smash another pack or two.

Ya it feels like a mini-game. Especially when a pack shows up and you have 4 seconds to kill it and nab what drops.
09/11/2015 12:12 PMPosted by BDF
09/11/2015 12:09 PMPosted by Windgrace
I'm pretty sure you will have downtime closing a rift no matter where you stop...(?)

True, but the comparison is 30 seconds wasted every 4 min rift clear
vs
30 seconds wasted every 8 min full-rift clear

You spend proportionally less time waiting in full clears.

However the blood shards alone area reason enough to close after the RG. Also you can port back in after you start the timer to keep clearing after the RG to make those 30 seconds not completely wasted.

Hrm, blood shards didn't even occur to me, and I forgot about going back in. ^_^

Moar questions:
How much trash to kill?
Pick up progress globes from E's or no?

I was skipping both for the most part.
09/11/2015 02:00 PMPosted by grippgoat
I was skipping both for the most part.

Me too Gripp, whatever dies or i collect on way to next pack or pylon//shrine is bonus - just racing for dbs as I've amassed 40k+ of all the other mats, i do pick up legendaries however, and kill any gobs.

Not my favorite style of gaming, but very effective for farming dbs.
Another way to do runs in this game, and definately enjoyable from time to time.
I've been testing out a bunch of these. My favourites are the ones that Jaetch and BDF running, with a couple of changes - I hate Pride's Fall and Dominance, esp for T9-T9 neph rifts. Also, I find Nilfur's too valuable for dropping Elites with one shots from your Tal meteors (so I cube it).

Instead, I'm using hexing pants and arcanot. Hexing pants has the added bonus of boosting the regen from your templar, every little helps. I also run Arcanot instead of magic weapon.

I get to 23 mana regen/second, which is enough to spam EB and teleport.

Skills are:

- EB, Calamity, Arcanot, PoTS, Spectral Blade, Frozen Mist
- Sage 2p, Tal 6p, Skelly King Shoudlers, Reapers Wraps (Neph bracers for shrines), Hexing Pants
- Astral Presence, Evocation, Audacity, EE
- Cubed: WoH, Nilfurs, RoRG

Anyway, slight variant on the theme.
Grippgoat, I also really, really like your setup too. I swapped in hexing pants instead of prides fall, as it has good synergy with arcanot and templar. I also subbed in AW/Furnace instead of SK/AW.

With this setup, you don't need dominance or gizzard for T8 or below. T10 can be a bit hectic, so it's not so efficient. Passives instead are AP, audacity, EE and either conflag or UA (if your're pushing T9-T10 speed rifting, UA is probably more sensible). Gems are Pain Enhancer) great synergy with Apocalypse as you noted), BoTP and BoTT.

I've started with your build and then fiddled - I found this to give me smoother and more reliable runs by getting rid of Pride's Fall.