Buffing SOLO play: Constructive opinions needed

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Blizzard already announced through the reddit Q&A that a buff to solo play is coming:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3j9p38/hey_rdiablo_were_here_for_a_quick_qa_about_patch/:

What we can do there to shrink the gap between solo and group play while still keeping group play better

So how will such a buff work best? What can we advise them? How to buff the single player experience and at the same time the players who enjoy multi more to not be affected?

Share your opinion in this thread. Please be constructive and do not hate the solo players. A buff is going to come no matter what you write here.

EDIT: Here are the current suggestions by the community:
- Solo-only mode
- XP buff
- Followers buff
- Increased chance for gem upgrade
- Items/gold/materials buff
- More bounty caches
- More shrines/pools
- Reduce monster HP
- Reduce quest finding time (arrow pointers on minimap)
- More progress orbs in GR/rifts
Since the biggest problem seems to be the exp gain difference, simplest solution, imo, would be to give a solo player a buff, something like "Army of one: you gain x % increased experience" and leaving MP untouched.

There can be some more creative ways, like adding some soloplay exclusive mechanincs, such as the old nephalem stacks, just make them persistent and not timed. (This is just an example, i`m sure other members of the community can come up with way more interesting stuff)
Just buff the followers, when you play solo with follower you gain 200% bonus XP buff.

If the results are:
Solo player after 50 hours: paragon 700
4-man group after 50 hours: paragon 700-725

Then developers did a good job!
Thank you for posts. I will edit the OP post with all the suggestions from the community.
Solo Mode Season 5

separate leaderboards

Simple box you check at hero creation screen

See who really can play the game and not get fed bags and items from clan or community
Group should always be more efficient. Especially when it come to gearing a new characters or even completing very high GR.

Team synergies is already great.

What bothers me and most peoples complaining about Solo play is XP/HR.

Especially when two player with the exact same gear namely my own character for example, cannot even come close to earning the same xp I make in a 4-man party versus going solo or duo.

In the current format I can get about 60-80b XP per hours doing speed GR in a 4-man party and about 10-20b per hours Solo while doing speed GR.

The issues goes WAY above just xp gear and sadly I don't see ANY ways to realistically fix this.

MP Advantage:

- Monsters HP Scaling (250% at 4 Players versus 100% Solo)
- Group Buff (Be it Toughness or Damage)
- Damage Spread (You are not the only target in group)
- zdps/support role (Solo you have to DPS)
- Exploding Palm (facepalm)
- There is probably hundreds of others benefits.

Solo Advantages:
- Unity (yeah we have that one going for us solo)
- Followers (that's an advantage I guess)
- Less Lag (probably the biggest advantage of solo play)
- Not having to deal with Trolls/Leechers
- Peace of Mind (priceless)

Realistically speaking the game would need to be redesigned from scratch to have balance between the two.

Even if they add 400% more xp Solo it would work for awhile kind of like a band-aid but as the game progress and the power creep continue the disparity will become bigger and bigger.

It all started when they made MP a cakewalk.

There was no going back when they did this.

Monster HP scaling is in fact the BIGGEST joke in the universe of gaming I have ever seen.

This led to leechers, zdps builds, support and all the other none full DPS variants that you can think off and made the game become another game altogether.

The only real challenge left in this game is staying awake long enough to grind those paragons until you are bored to death and move to another game, come back a few months later rinse and repeat. The item grind is gone, literally gone, the fact that legendary items are even called legendary is a joke in itself, especially when you can easily get about 50 per hours nowadays if not more for top teams.

All everyone I know think of Diablo 3 is but a fun game that failed to be a great game. And obviously 90% of my friend-list hasn't logged in hundreds of days and unlike some trolls my friend-list is FAR from being empty.

The addiction is real and the fanboy-ism is even more real when you see the army of peoples defending whatever decision a developer will make just because; hey they have to be right since I'm still playing, right? right?

Anyway, I'm waiting for the PS4 since my brother is buying one in 2 weeks and I needed something to kill time meanwhile and that Diablo 3 is good at, killing time.
09/03/2015 12:28 AMPosted by kouhei
All everyone I know think of Diablo 3 is but a fun game that failed to be a great game.

True, but Diablo 3 can still become a great game. And I am quite realistic here. The developers already have stable foundations. They just need to make the right moves from now on and build above what they have with fixing the problematic issues. That's the purpose of this thread - to give the devs hints and ideas about what to tune in order to make the SP experience a LOT more pleasant.
09/03/2015 12:15 AMPosted by Lasagna
Solo Mode Season 5

separate leaderboards

Simple box you check at hero creation screen

See who really can play the game and not get fed bags and items from clan or community

Pure solo mode would be boring, that would mean we have 4 additional game modes:
1. Pure solo non-season softcore
2. Pure solo non-season hardcore
3. Pure solo season softcore
4. Pure solo season hardcore

That will divide players even more and I am sure developers do not want this.

Why can you not compete on solo leaderboards and still play with friends. It's possible, it just need to be done.

Finding items is not a problem (especially now with the Cube), after 300 hours on my barb I got all ancient gear, at least 2 ancient copies of every set item, including weapons, salvaged a lot of gear in that process.

With few hundred hours you will find all the items needed to compete, only problem is paragon.
I think reducing party buff from 100% to 50% would make solo plays more fair. They don't need so much xp anyway...300% c'mon. Having 150% is still better then zero but it reduces disadvantage of playing solo.
09/02/2015 11:38 PMPosted by Shark
Just buff the followers, when you play solo with follower you gain 200% bonus XP buff.

If the results are:

That's not a bad idea at all.
09/02/2015 11:06 PMPosted by Skelos
Blizzard already announced through the reddit Q&A that a buff to solo play is coming:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3j9p38/hey_rdiablo_were_here_for_a_quick_qa_about_patch/:

What we can do there to shrink the gap between solo and group play while still keeping group play better

So how will such a buff work best? What can we advise them? How to buff the single player experience and at the same time the players who enjoy multi more to not be affected?

Share your opinion in this thread. Please be constructive and do not hate the solo players. A buff is going to come no matter what you write here.

EDIT: Here are the current suggestions by the community:
- Solo-only mode
- Doing less bounties
- XP buff
- Followers buff

Solo only leader boards . If you group you get flagged and removed from solo leaderboards
Blizz had said, continues to say even in their most recent comments, that multiplayer will always be more rewarding. Simply they want their game to be appealing to many people and not to a few. Like it or not, solo players are a minority.

So anyone uber focused on competition and being competitive while playing solo should get behind the solo mode with its own true solo leaderboard. It's the only way to guarantee that everyone on it plays by the same rules and with the same restrictions. Like hardcore and season play, participation in the solo only mode will be on a character by character basis. You can still play with other players, you just have to use a non-solo character to do that.

Honestly this mode may attract more people to solo play

@Skelos

You really need to read Wyatt Chengs reply more carefully than what you did. He starts by mentioning the solo-mp gap. He ends by mentioning the solo-mp gap. But he spends 90% of his reply talking about xp farming in multiplayer games. Not in terms of "this is responsible for the solo-mp gap" but in terms of "it encourages people to play d3 in a way we don't like."

He acknowledges your concerns but whatever change he's thinking about will address what he spent most of his time talking about. This might or might not result in a net buff to solo play.
09/03/2015 05:15 AMPosted by EmmetOtter
Blizz had said, continues to say even in their most recent comments, that multiplayer will always be more rewarding. Simply they want their game to be appealing to many people and not to a few. Like it or not, solo players are a minority.

Yeah, let's make significantly easier mode more rewarding. That makes absolutely no sense.
They should bring back +30% increased monster damage per party member and other things like that to make MP actually challenging and therefore justify the "more rewarding" part.

And as for the minority, another newsflash. Of course, when you make a mode like 500% more rewarding than other mode for about 1/3 of the effort, then majority are going to stick to that mode because they don't want to punish themselves by staying so far behind. Especially the competitive types are simply forced to play MP.
09/03/2015 05:15 AMPosted by EmmetOtter
Like it or not, solo players are a minority.

Yeah, people that accepted the $50 bill instead of the $100 dollar bill is in the minority, too. I wonder why that is...
09/03/2015 04:43 AMPosted by KBizzal28
09/02/2015 11:38 PMPosted by Shark

If the results are:

That's not a bad idea at all.

I'd like to interject that this would leave 3 man groups and especially 2 man groups as being the new solo (this is what I play in mostly). You can't have someone go full exp gear in a 2 man, and you obviously cant use followers, so I think whatever their solution is should leave them all relatively equal, or at least taking small steps up in gains with each additional player.
Dont buff it is my suggestion solo play shouldn't be on par with 2-3-4 player.
09/03/2015 05:56 AMPosted by Unforgiven
Dont buff it is my suggestion solo play shouldn't be on par with 2-3-4 player.

Yes, just make 4 man as hard as mythic raids in WoW. So their "more rewards" are well justified and everyone is happy :)
There si one problem that doesnt seem to have been raised about solo leaderboards. Whats to stop someone playing an alt in MP, gaining para and loot, dropping it in the chest and then claiming it for the soloer?

You could argue that ANY solo play isnt allowed, but many like to play solo, but also like to group up with friends or clannies at times.

Not putting down th e dea- solo does need a buff badly- but I cant see Blizz givng extra stash for solo against MP.
I think buff followers is the best suggestion.
Maybe also reduce acts needed in bounties but not sure there...

Why not add more gear slots on followers to make them more than "static 50% reduced damage + 10% IAS/Mana regen"?
Make them count on the battle field and add one more unit slot where you can get a nice XP boost. That would make it fun to farm for that item - perfectly rolled
09/03/2015 04:19 AMPosted by Shark
With few hundred hours you will find all the items needed to compete, only problem is paragon.

Yep, thats the big problem. :)