Review of a Session where we tried anything to red. LAG

Bug Report
Here is what we did in our 4 men group:

- Setup: 2x carn WD, Support Barb + Monk (season)

- Everybody removed Area Damage, from gear & paragon
- Everybody removed Life on Hit
- The supports removed both toxin gems
- The DPS removed Fetish Scyophants passive
- Nobody was using Pain Enhancer
- We played on a Wednesday morning 2:00 AM, as far away from prime time as we could afford.

Then we tried to push for GR 76, mind you: we SEVERELY gimped our damage by all those limitations. And what happened? The game lagged out at the first big pack we got. It was so bad that our Barb actually got disconnected from the game because nothing happened forever.

So to sum up my current situation as a Witch Doctor: I cannot play Helltooth ever on Speedrifts or High rifts and I love this set. I cannot play Carnevil ever on High Rifts, often times I have to leave during the day when im on Carnevil WD in Speedrifts because the lag gets too bad. even under PERFECT conditions I am unable to push my gem levels and go for ranks.and/or play with my clanmates.

I am currently paragon 1050 on Season, I really enjoy the game and the meta, but the lag issue is making the game straight up unplayable for me. Lag has always been an issue in this game, since era 1, but now it gets to a point where I actually can not play anymore.

This has been said a billion times but I want to keep raising this topic so Blizzard acknowledges the URGENCY of this topic and takes action as soon as possible. This is not a small quality of life request, its a request to be able to play the game I paid for.

tl;dr: We did everything to reduce the lag - lagged out. game is unplayable for me right now.
Here I had concluded that Area Damage was the problem. I'm baffled if what you say is true. I would love to see a video, and I think Blizzard will only acknowledge this issue if they see it.
Lag in higher grifts has been an issue for a while. I'm unsure why it hasn't been addressed before this since now more people are able to get into those levels. The lag has effectively killed my groups for grifts.
I don't get how HC players can even bring themselves to load the game. I've died several times over the last few days in T8(!) due to lag. No way I would play HC right now.

And the lag isn't class specific. I have issues with WD, Barb, and DH.

This problem is on Blizzard, either bad code or insufficient hardware infrastructure.
things like area damage/loh/toxin gem etc contribute to the lag, but isnt the root source of the lag. removing area damage etc only delays the issue until a higher GR.
09/15/2015 07:00 PMPosted by wadss
things like area damage/loh/toxin gem etc contribute to the lag, but isnt the root source of the lag. removing area damage etc only delays the issue until a higher GR.

Out of curiosity, do the problems crop up no matter what, or only when someone engages in combat? I mean, you're not lagging when you stand around in town, I presume. So the only thing I can think of that could cause the issue is a precision one. The game is trying to throw around values that are too large and unwieldy for the kinds of speeds needed and is thus getting progressively more bogged down..
09/15/2015 07:15 PMPosted by LostSoul
09/15/2015 07:00 PMPosted by wadss

Out of curiosity, do the problems crop up no matter what, or only when someone engages in combat? I mean, you're not lagging when you stand around in town, I presume. So the only thing I can think of that could cause the issue is a precision one. The game is trying to throw around values that are too large and unwieldy for the kinds of speeds needed and is thus getting progressively more bogged down..

the problem occurs only in combat with high density. its less so the size of the numbers in the calculations, but the number of calculations the game server has to make per unit of time. adding area damage/multiple dots makes the servers hit that cap much faster.

the higher GR you go, the slower monsters die, so the more chances each monster has to get dots/instances of damage applied to it.

in speed runs, most of the monsters are already dead by the time you get an elite to half hp.
The problem lies with density and certain skills that cause more lag. The lag started to get real bad when Blizzard initially raised the Density in D3V. Meteor Wizard (most specifically, Meteor Shower) would lag the game when the density of monster was high. Multiple Meteor Wizard would lag the game regardless of the density...

The same density doesn't cause any problem for WW barb or other builds.

Personally, I have noticed that you are more likely to lag in GRs when you use "pull" skills such as Cyclone Strike or Piranhado. Group monsters closely together would freeze the game when using HT WD or other lag-intensive skills.

I don't think it's something that they can fix anytime soon. This was reported a while ago and was also reported during PTR.
It seems I have issues with rend/ 2x rend too (playing solo with test barb and when someone rends on MP)

GR 55-60 was playable with support monk, monk, hota barb and me (HT WD with no area damage).

I was doing TX runs and I joined a public game. There was a wizard. My screen froze. I don't even know what the wizard was using.
This is definitely a massive issue now. In the past there were always some lag and fps issues here and there, but this is a whole new level. The power growth this patch made it to where a much larger portion of the playerbase is running much higher content than before, which in turn leads to much greater visibility. It can't be hidden anymore.

As OP stated, this is now affecting the game badly enough that I can no longer play with friends when they want to do higher content. The game's systems are now negatively impacting being able to have fun. I want to play, but I guess Blizzard doesn't want me to.
09/15/2015 06:50 PMPosted by Haeos
Lag in higher grifts has been an issue for a while. I'm unsure why it hasn't been addressed before this since now more people are able to get into those levels. The lag has effectively killed my groups for grifts.

Why in higher gr's is this an issue, is it something to do with the high numbers involved for life totals that is causing some weird computational mess?
09/15/2015 10:52 PMPosted by JerBear
Why in higher gr's is this an issue, is it something to do with the high numbers involved for life totals that is causing some weird computational mess?

In a very VERY roundabout way, it's the high life totals. Think of it like this:

As monsters health goes up, it becomes necessary to fight larger and larger packs simultaneously in order to complete the GR on time. This means more dense packs of mobs, and skills/affixes specializing in hitting them.

This means lots of calculations for the server for each attack. The devs are on record saying that it's not the size of the damage numbers that cause the lag, but the amount of individual calculations that the server needs to do that is causing lag.
09/15/2015 06:59 PMPosted by Wurger
I don't get how HC players can even bring themselves to load the game. I've died several times over the last few days in T8(!) due to lag. No way I would play HC right now.

And the lag isn't class specific. I have issues with WD, Barb, and DH.

This problem is on Blizzard, either bad code or insufficient hardware infrastructure.

The lag was so bad earlier in the day that everyone in my group couldnt see our inventory or what we had on. but, if we hovered over the blank spots we would get the info box to appear for the items. The really weird part. If I screenshot in the game, it showed everything as fine but if I tabbed out and screenshot it was all blank.
I even get lags with my helltooth in solo grift 68, using Area damage or not.
Can confirm all the things about group grifts, starting at GR level 74 for me.
This really feels like blizz servers are patting me on the back saying "you could beat it...but you wont bc our servers HAHA". Really frustrating.
Fishing 40+ Grifts for a good map with good density and then LAG everywhere! Even on my brand new pc, so the problem is not on my side.

Greetings
guys. all of you suggesting it has anything it to do with what players do - you are just wrong. it is much worse - mobs alone can lag the game and make it unplayable!
just yesterday we (me and 2 my buddies) were running some dungeons and every time we approached bigger cluster of mobs the game just starts to lag terribly.

and we were only standing in monk's OP circle not doing anything.. therefore it really does not matter what YOU do and game is really THAT broken..

(my experience is from european servers)
I'd say some skills or builds cause more lag, than others. For example when I was playing HOTA barb or ww I had no issues with lag spikes. When I decided to switch to 2wastes/6ik rend build I died in lags. I think it is related to bigger amount of mobs that receive damage at the same time. It's pretty sad, cause other than that rend build is decent for pushing even on HC.
(european server as well)
go watch Alkaizers 71 clear for a display of this lag. He literally pauses and lets the game catch up because it lags so hard.
Think game servers cant handle this amount of damage. They lowered WoW dmg numbers in WoD because they was afraid from the same issue as in D3 right now.
- Barb using Rend -> massive lag in solo high GR and group
- WD with HT build -> massive lag in solo high GR and group, especially with the vomit build
- Barb WW build with AD and PE gem -> massive lag in both solo High GR and group, even if the barb is 10 screen away...
- Supp monk using toxin : some lag but playable
- 2 Supp player (monk, WD or Barb) using toxin : Massive lag

Strangely with the setup described by the OP (supp monk + supp barb + 2 carn doc) we never got any lag in 70+ as long as the supp monk and barb didn't use Toxin and the barb didn't use rend.. Both doc used PE and is was very OK.
My wd story: 50 h in I realized I was the one that was lagging the game, 8h later I gave upp and made a monk. Now I have a wd that can (lagy) push 60 solo, that i wanted to play this season and a monk that cant do 55+ yet. I'm almost forced into playing anather class because the lag stopped my progression on my wd.
And that my wd story... I could use another set .. No. Monk is more fun then.