Why join a Grift game, if you are going to stand around

General Discussion
Game after game I join, people just standing around, joining and leaving, joining and leaving. 2 people join, try to start a greater grift, they decline. Then leave.

I don't even.....
Yikes, sounds bad, pub games can be a cruel thing.
It's because the public game system is utter and complete garbage. It throws people together totally at random. The people joining and leaving are doing so for many very good reasons.

ZDPS tend to leave the game if there is already one present of the same class/spec as there is no point in having 2 of them. Or they leave because there are already 2 or more other ZDPS in the game. Healing monks, zdps barbs and WDs will do this.

Other people join, inspect the group, realize the DPS isn't there to do a decent difficulty and leave.

As one of a great many examples, I was in a public game with a really good WD on my healing monk earlier today. He was basically doing all the DPS while the two lower paragon DHs were just sort of way back struggling to kill the few mobs we ran past rather than following us and dpsing the larger groups of mobs. They at least had decent gear for their paragon level though. After a few decent rifts, one of the DHs left. Another healing monk joined, left because I was already there. Then a Wizard joins who doesn't even have a 6 piece... or even a 4pc... just random garbage gear. He joins a TX public greater rift game with that gear... The WD says something like good luck and left so I left too since he was the only other useful person in the game and I didn't want to deal with a game that now had essentially a dead slot with a setless wizard.

Blizzard should add a more effective LFG tool to D3 where you can specify in a comment what you're looking for and what you're doing. Let people know what paragon you want and what specs/roles you're after. Too bad we have suggested things like that for YEARS, only to be ignored and given crap like the community system as a half-assed "solution."

Blizzard thinks their garbage community/clan system is an effective replacement for a more robust LFG tool. It is not, at all. Their community/clan system absolutely sucks. Despite having over 2k people in the grift seasonal community chat at any given time, it's pretty hard to actually find a decent group doing what you want to do. Communities are essentially Blizzard's lazy half-assed attempt to fix the massive problem of not being able to find appropriate groups.

You could more easily find the kind of game you want in the decades old D2 public game system. That's how sad and pathetic the D3 public game system is. Decades ago D2 had a simple system that at least let you add a comment to say what your game was for and add level restrictions.

After years of feedback the only improvement they gave to the system were a few tags you could choose from so... yea...

The problem would be slightly better if you could at least change characters in a game. That way if you join a public game that doesn't need your healing monk you joined on but you have other alts that would work, you could just swap characters rather than having to leave the game and play this endless laughable game fishing game. The game doesn't just stop at RNG loot and RNG Grift fishing, now you have to play the RNG party making game if you have no friends online and want to play in a group (which is a problem that becomes worse as the season goes on and people get bored and quit again).

D3 forces people to play in groups for efficiency but doesn't offer remotely useful tools or features to effectively find appropriate groups that are a good match for you. It's pathetic.

TLDR: The D3 public game system is a complete joke and a total embarrassment by modern gaming standards. Their community system does not make up for the garbage that is their public game system.
You didn't provide much information such as what level grift you opened but here's my guess as to what is happening.

You've done group grifts a dozen or more levels above what you can do solo and you open a grift at the highest level you can. The other folks look at your gems, your gear, and your selected skills and decide they don't want to carry you and decline. Then leave.

You need to study the UE build more cause it's going to cost you two ways. One is your solo progress while the other is the ability to get into groups. You don't control what gear the game gives you but you do make the choices on what to reroll. You've given up rolling for 12 disc on both your bow and chest. That is a huge hit in your damage. I didn't count what you've currently got but it's probably about 55. If so, you've lost about 45% MS damage with no way to now reroll and recover it. At least it's not on ancient hardware. Other players who know UE are going to note your rolls and judge you accordingly. As for your selected skills, I only know of one good player (really, really good) who doesn't always use Awareness but he's fully aware of the glass cannon nature of his choice and makes a conscious trade of damage for grift farming. Your profile shows both Leech and Brooding, each of which individually is used by less than 1% of all SC hunters. There's a reason for this. And again experienced people, the ones doing higher grifts, are going to notice your choices. And leave.

Soooo, that's my guess for why your grift experiences aren't going as you'd like.
Heh I knew that was you Borg, yeah dude we left those 2 DH behind it was great fun, we were done with the grift before they even got to the boss to pick up, we waited an eternity for them to get their darn gems upgraded too...

Here is my experience with the public system. Come into a group, people at low plvl like less than 100 I will carry for a while then kick. If you are running a pleb class like Wizard and are sub 400 not wearing a single ancient or set item you get kicked or we wait for you to leave. I will tell so many people run a monk, barb, wd, or dh and they either scream at me or act like I shot their dog. How could they make the wrong choice? Then you have people asking if every single legendary that dropped is decent, like in a single t8 rift, 15+ legendaries can drop. Read the stats people... If you are not wearing grift gems you get kicked pure and simple. Go solo t1-4 and get all your gems, upgrade them a bit then come back to public. I am not going to slow down and wait for you. I wish crusaders and wizards got a buff, but as they stand they are the pleb classes.

And then you have the people who wanna stand around in town doing stuff they can do in their free time, like using the cube, or rerolling stats. I could understand if it were an ancient item that dropped, but people take so long... drop the game, open the slot up for someone else, go into private, roll what you need, then come back to public.

Or make friends with people. I have so many friends in my o list that constantly ask if I wanna speed run t8. I rarely play "public games" I either solo or play with friends. It is far more personal, you get really well oiled in a group together, skype calls are fun, put on some netflix and go go go. I simply never go into public system because it is such a nightmare unless I wanna run reg rifts for fun to carry people.

I don't mind helping people out, it makes the game more fun sometimes because they will pick up on the game and BAM they pass you sometimes.

tl;dr too many stupid people not wanting to learn a very simple risk vs reward arpg game...
As mentioned above, this can be due to multiple reasons. My primary toons are a healing Monk and WW Barb. These both can handle well in groups doing up to 65 grifts.

-Monk: I'm not going to stick around if there is another healing monk in the group. DPS Monk is fine but only one healing Monk to a group....that and I have a 2 Max Monk rule for groups.

-Barb: I love Barbs but I try not to join groups with all barbs unless the other barbs are of much higher Paragon.

Grifts: T10 for me equals 55 minimum. It's annoying to have a 400 lvl opening a 40 grift while the others are 700+ paragon. I don't mind the occasional lower lvl player but I can solo a 40 blind folded with one hand tied behind my back and get very little out of it.
09/20/2015 01:34 AMPosted by Crywolf
They probably inspected your Dh and your current set up and very low discipline = low potential damage.

You need no lower than 80 disc to be taken even remotely serious.

This really shows peoples too high of standards or lack of knowledge really. The other night, had a group and we were tearing up lvl 50 grifts no prob. I didn't even say what level of game I was joining. But automatically you assumed it was cause me gear wasn't good enough for what I was doing.

Everyone wants to be doing higher than they should be, and everyone wants to be carried. And anyone who doesn't have perfect gear is a scrub noob and can't be taken seriously.
this game is getting so much better though, i hope bliz doesnt stop. find a way to make money off it tho, i'll pay
What I hate are the Paragon 900 SCS Barbarians joining, demanding a GR59 in a game with 2 Crusaders and a WD (Crusader comfort zone ends around 55, someone that level should know about the possible lag consequences as well) and then after 30 seconds in the Rift proceeds to TP back to town and leave. The result is 3 players are left to solo a 4 player GR59.

I could under stand if us 3 people were badly geared. However we were all >P500 and with almost full Ancient sets. He left purely because he is selfish, has no idea about classes other than Monk and Barbarian and did not want to commit to his own stupid decisions.

There should be a penalty for leaving a public GR game. Such as no GRs (solo, private or public) for 30 minutes. If you start a GR you need to commit, even if it does not go the way you want.

Heroes of the Storm has such a penalty, Diablo III needs one as well. 30 minute GR block penalty should be sufficient as it will kill the entire "efficiency" argument such selfish noobs play. If you do not like the team then leave before starting a GR.
09/20/2015 05:12 AMPosted by Herethebeef
They probably inspected your Dh and your current set up and very low discipline = low potential damage.

This really shows peoples too high of standards or lack of knowledge really. The other night, had a group and we were tearing up lvl 50 grifts no prob. I didn't even say what level of game I was joining. But automatically you assumed it was cause me gear wasn't good enough for what I was doing.

Everyone wants to be doing higher than they should be, and everyone wants to be carried. And anyone who doesn't have perfect gear is a scrub noob and can't be taken seriously.

The key word here is "Group."

I don't know what you're running, to lazy to look but how do I know you wasn't playing with a gr

09/20/2015 05:12 AMPosted by Herethebeef

[/quote]

The key word here is "group."

How do we know this group didn't consist of 500-700 paragon players who could easily have carried a 400 paragon through a 50 grift? I do it all the time, there is always at least one 400-500 in the group with the rest of us being 700-800 paragon.

Listen, you asked why people are leaving and we're giving you some possible reasons. You can take it how ever you want. I personally would use the knowledge to my advantage. I have seen 700+ DHs blow through 60 grifts and seen 700+ who couldn't get past 50. These guys are giving you advice on how to better your character. I personally welcome their advice and have done quite well with my toons...my main toons can contribute well up to 65 grifts and maybe further. Check out the DH sub-forum for build info, it's a wealth of knowledge.

If you're unlucky with rolls, you might have to deal with as low as 75 disc, even with it on the bow, chest, and quiver.
09/19/2015 05:26 PMPosted by Herethebeef
Game after game I join, people just standing around, joining and leaving, joining and leaving. 2 people join, try to start a greater grift, they decline. Then leave.

I don't even.....

because there's too many knobs that play this game that assume a character sucks without even bothering to see how they play first. all those people standing around in town are just inspecting your gear/skill setup and instantly determining either "oh he sucks" or "oh that's not a build i want to run with" and then leaving. and they're too socially stunted to even explain that.

the hilarious part is that generally the people that do this are the ones with crappy characters themselves. they know they can't carry the slack if someone else in the party sucks, so they just don't bother.
The first three random players to click "join" are thrown in with the random game creator.
That for a mode of the game were there are varying geared players choosing varying difficulties to complete hoping to match up with particular classes; To finish a mode that realistically needs completing within a set time frame.

Just abysmal design, its on a par with brawling. If it has a competitive edge Blizzard either have no clue or an empty care cup. Really not sure which.
09/20/2015 10:48 AMPosted by pigeonspank
09/19/2015 05:26 PMPosted by Herethebeef

I don't even.....

because there's too many knobs that play this game that assume a character sucks without even bothering to see how they play first. all those people standing around in town are just inspecting your gear/skill setup and instantly determining either "oh he sucks" or "oh that's not a build i want to run with" and then leaving. and they're too socially stunted to even explain that.

the hilarious part is that generally the people that do this are the ones with crappy characters themselves. they know they can't carry the slack if someone else in the party sucks, so they just don't bother.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

Over half the people leaving and joining are doing you a favor because they are zdps characters that get into a game that already has a person of the same spec.

Most people joining public TX Grift games only expect to be able to do 50-55 in a pug at best, so their standards as far as damage and well rolled gear really aren't that high. The only time I've left a game based solely on DPS assumptions without trying a rift with people is when you see someone who doesn't even have a complete set.I'm usually just happy to get into a game where there isn't a duplicate.

When I try to join public games on my healing monk there's usually a healing monk. When I try to join on my zdps barb, there's usually a zdps barb, even though I hardly ever run into zdps barbs when I'm joning games on my healing monk. When I join on my UE DH or DPS barb, there's usually NO xp geared characters or healing monk or zdps of any kind. It's all DPS. Like... what? It's almost as if the public game system is intentionally throwing people together into poor combinations because it enjoys watching them roll the dice again.

The public game system is a nightmare for Grifts.

09/19/2015 10:56 PMPosted by HungryJ
thats what clans are for.

Lol borg you write so much but I bet you never do your homework!

You read so little apparently because I specifically mention that clans and communities are not adequate replacements for a decent LFG tool. I know exactly what I'm talking about and am 100% correct.

A decent LFG tool that allowed you to create games/search for games that the entire playerbase (for your region) could access would be dramatically superior in forming and finding groups for any given purpose compared to spamming a community or clan chat of an extremely limited number of players by comparison.

Imagine you're forming a Grift speed farming group and you want specific roles and specific paragon requirement. Your only option if you don't have the friends or clan mates available is to then spam the Grift Community chat that has usually 2k+ people in the channel. I've seen people spamming the same message looking for some specific spec sometimes for over 10 minutes without success. Is this vanilla WoW where we should be expected to sit around not doing anything for 10 minutes or maybe half an hour or more trying to find a decent group now that most of our friends have already re-quit this season again? Then when you do find a group, someone leaves after a run or 2 and then you have to find a replacement. If you do public games instead you're left with what I described already in detail.

If there was a decent LFG people could check it and filter by paragon or by some keyword and find games or create their own with a specific description. Rather than waiting for people to see and respond to your spam in a chat channel they have to find and join like some kind of archaic Vanilla WoW nonsense. We could have at least a modern WoW level LFG tool system to more easily form groups. It's really not asking for much or expecting too much. We've been giving feedback on how limited their current options are for years.
09/20/2015 11:18 AMPosted by Borg
09/20/2015 10:48 AMPosted by pigeonspank

You really don't know what you're talking about.

Over half the people leaving and joining are doing you a favor because they are zdps characters that get into a game that already has a person of the same spec.

Most people joining public TX Grift games only expect to be able to do 50-55 in a pug at best, so their standards as far as damage and well rolled gear really aren't that high. The only time I've left a game based solely on DPS assumptions without trying a rift with people is when you see someone who doesn't even have a complete set.I'm usually just happy to get into a game where there isn't a duplicate.

When I try to join public games on my healing monk there's usually a healing monk. When I try to join on my zdps barb, there's usually a zdps barb, even though I hardly ever run into zdps barbs when I'm joning games on my healing monk. When I join on my UE DH or DPS barb, there's usually NO xp geared characters or healing monk or zdps of any kind. It's all DPS. Like... what? It's almost as if the public game system is intentionally throwing people together into poor combinations because it enjoys watching them roll the dice again.

The public game system is a nightmare for Grifts.

09/19/2015 10:56 PMPosted by HungryJ
thats what clans are for.

Lol borg you write so much but I bet you never do your homework!

You read so little apparently because I specifically mention that clans and communities are not adequate replacements for a decent LFG tool. I know exactly what I'm talking about and am 100% correct.

A decent LFG tool that allowed you to create games/search for games that the entire playerbase (for your region) could access would be dramatically superior in forming and finding groups for any given purpose compared to spamming a community or clan chat of an extremely limited number of players by comparison.

Imagine you're forming a Grift speed farming group and you want specific roles and specific paragon requirement. Your only option if you don't have the friends or clan mates available is to then spam the Grift Community chat that has usually 2k+ people in the channel. I've seen people spamming the same message looking for some specific spec sometimes for over 10 minutes without success. Is this vanilla WoW where we should be expected to sit around not doing anything for 10 minutes or maybe half an hour or more trying to find a decent group now that most of our friends have already re-quit this season again? Then when you do find a group, someone leaves after a run or 2 and then you have to find a replacement. If you do public games instead you're left with what I described already in detail.

If there was a decent LFG people could check it and filter by paragon or by some keyword and find games or create their own with a specific description. Rather than waiting for people to see and respond to your spam in a chat channel they have to find and join like some kind of archaic Vanilla WoW nonsense. We could have at least a modern WoW level LFG tool system to more easily form groups. It's really not asking for much or expecting too much. We've been giving feedback on how limited their current options are for years.

literally NOTHING about what you said is different than what i said. you realize that leaving because you don't like someone's gear and leaving because the group already has your class are literally the exact same thing, right? either way, you're leaving because of a judgement of the other players. there's literally no difference, so i'm not sure what you're trying to make me understand here.

also: why would you or anyone else EVER join a public game with a zdps character anyway?? so you're joining a game with a character that literally can't kill anything. zdps is something you sit on the shelf until your three friends in a private game go "hey, anyone have a heal monk?" then you bust it out. you don't join random games expecting them to carry your non-damage dealing character..that's insane.