Diablo III 2nd Expansion Speculation

Lore and Story
02/29/2016 07:44 PMPosted by Will
02/29/2016 06:43 PMPosted by Rol
And I know Leah is the daughter of Diablo. Aiden was nothing more than a tool at the end used by Diablo. Diablo's blood running though Leah's veins is the reason why HE gain control of the host instead of Baal or Anderial. Also, Diablo may not have had control off the over Aiden but he did have influence. Let's face it, you don't shove a giant shard filled with an evil spirit into your forehead just because. Diablo was able to influence Aiden to go to Adria for "comfort" before heading out.
This is a very interesting topic we're treading into. Where does the host stop and the demon begin? I think it's important to point out that the physical manifestations of the prime evils in Sanctuary are not the beings in the flesh. They are spirit beings possessing mortal ones, thus giving them corporeal forms. This is why when Diablo is "killed" the host returns to his/her original form. The demon's control is spiritual. This control does seem to eventually get to a cellular level, hence the Dark Wanderer eventually losing his human shape and completely taking on Diablo's, but the host is still there (as demonstrated by said reversion to the original form upon death) in the flesh. I don't believe Diablo's blood runs through Leah's veins, since Diablo has no blood. He's a spiritual being. When you face Diablo at the end of Diablo 1, it's Albrecht's body you're attacking. Just as it's Tal Rasha's body rather than Baal's, Sankekur's body rather then Mephisto's, and Aidan's body rather than Diablo's. The shape comes to reflect that of the spirit within, but the flesh still belongs to the host. I have no doubt that Diablo was already influencing Aidan when he laid with Adria, but biologically it was still Aidan and, physically, Leah is Aidan's daughter, not Diablo's. Spiritually, who can say how much of Diablo was transferred? Clearly a portion was, giving Leah magical powers and making her a suitable host for Diablo, but my point in the previous post stands that Leah is not a demon. She is human.

02/29/2016 06:43 PMPosted by Rol
Edit: I would also say that, even though I would like Leah to return, I don't think she deserves an entire expansion for herself. I like her but the world of Sanctuary has a bigger things going on and just dedicating everything to a story revolving around Leah would be a big waste of an opportunity.
I agree. If we need to resolve Leah's story, let's do it in a side quest similar to those of the followers in ROS.

You do have some points but I do have one piece of evidence to prove that Leah is the offspring of Diablo.
http://www.diablowiki.net/House_of_Deep_Sorrow
If you ever come across this sidequest you will come in contact with a woman, Lady VIctoria. She is being attacked by Reapers. Once you save her she tells you to run before turning into a demon. She drops a lorebook that stats that her mother was raped by a demon and she was the offspring of said demon.

To me that sounds pretty close to Leah's situation. Aiden was a tool at the end in order to lay the seeds of Diablo's spawn.

Also, you said that when the possessed was killed they turn back into it's human form. When Diablo was killed in D3 his body did not turn back into Leah's. In fact, it disappeared leaving behind the black soulstone. What would you make of that? This points again, that Leah was not human by nature. She had demonic origins. Her soul, no doubt, got sucked into the black soulstone.
02/29/2016 08:03 PMPosted by Rol
You do have some points but I do have one piece of evidence to prove that Leah is the offspring of Diablo.
If you ever come across this sidequest you will come in contact with a woman, Lady VIctoria. She is being attacked by Reapers. Once you save her she tells you to run before turning into a demon. She drops a lorebook that stats that her mother was raped by a demon and she was the offspring of said demon.

To me that sounds pretty close to Leah's situation. Aiden was a tool at the end in order to lay the seeds of Diablo's spawn.
You're right, it's close, but it's not the same. It seems that Lady Victoria's mother was raped by a full on demon, whereas Adria laid with a human being who had barely begun down the road to full possession. I think it's still safe to say that Leah is the human child of human parents with some kind of spiritual taint provided by a significantly weakened Diablo.

Also, you said that when the possessed was killed they turn back into it's human form. When Diablo was killed in D3 his body did not turn back into Leah's. In fact, it disappeared leaving behind the black soulstone. What would you make of that? This points again, that Leah was not human by nature. She had demonic origins. Her soul, no doubt, got sucked into the black soulstone.
In the ending cinematic from D1, the soulstone is dug out of Diablo's head, and it is then that the body reverts to Albrecht. My explanation for the end of D3 is that whatever method was used to kill Diablo caused the body to disintegrate as it fell leaving the soulstone. Since the soulstone was never removed, the body never had the chance to revert to Leah's form.
I thinking Diablo will make a come back; even one of the NPCs (can't recall the name), mentions how Diablo always finds a way to come back. Though I do think the story with the Nephalem growing too powerful, or becoming corrupted could be an interesting twist. In fact, it would be rather interesting if they made a sort of faction thing. Nephalem who sided with the demons, and those with the angels.
I remember hearing one of the angels (Imperius or tyral one of the two or maybe not idk) saying something about how the power of the nephalem could take down angels as well as demons. That comment makes me think that the high heavens may see the nephalem as a threat to themselves, just as much as the demons. They value the eternal conflict so much, the balance they maintained for so long that i'm thinking that the High heavens and the burning hell just might....join forces and try to take out the nephalem.

Might be a big stretch for some people but it's the only threat that we can face at this point that would make sense. The combined might of both is the only thing that could challenge us and give us a run for our money. The destruction of santuary on two fronts instead of the one.
I want my leah back!!!!! T.T
I agree about Leah being great as a tragic character, but with all this talk, it seems like a very possible opening hook.

With Diablo defeated (for now) and Malthael stopped, the player has a break in which they go to search for Leah's soul. The Horadrim have a lead for you (Skovos, perhaps, like someone mentioned). You do an epic (but relatively quick) "journey to the underworld" and rescue Leah's soul.

(And I'm not trying to be anti-Leah here, but the idea that we should save Cain instead gave me an idea. A really cool moment for Leah, who felt guilty for not believing Cain until it was too late, would be for her to sacrifice her chance to come back in order to have Cain take her place.)

Anyway, so after we at least attempt to save someone at this location, we return to a major settlement, only to discover a massive battle. In a cutscene, it shows demons and angels, and the initial assumption is that Hell is marching forth once more, but then the player realizes both sides are actually being captured and tortured by humans.

As it turns out, Nephalem powers are starting to awaken in lots of people, especially those who went through the trauma of losing everyone they knew to Malthael's power. They're using their newfound power to get revenge on the Eternal Conflict that treated them like ants. The player ends up running afoul of them, perhaps because of your defense of Tyrael, and you end up going through the town and rescuing angels (and maybe even some demons).

Like others have said, I think it would be too early to put a cap on a big Nephalem villain, so I feel this would only be setting up the new status quo rather than resolving it. On the other hand, it seems weird to brag about Diablo being back so soon and our characters just ignoring it.

So I'd say Diablo hatches one final plan, perhaps even allying with an Imperius of Wrath to destroy Sanctuary and stop the threat of the Nephalem. They attempt, in some fashion, to create a new Anu/Tathamet in order to destroy the world, and its power is so great that, even as a Nephalem, you have to find a way to access its essence rather than fighting it physically.

You defeat each of the bosses that make it up, culminating with Diablo, and this destroys them for good, but the closing cutscene echoes a similar feeling as Reaper of Souls'. The Eternal Conflict has ended, once and for all (Fate has been shattered), but the capability of both good and evil in the Nephalem means that the conflict between good and evil can never truly end (and if they're really afraid of an artifact title, they can have a cheesy line like 'Diablo will live on in any Nephalem who uses their power for evil').
03/03/2016 11:54 PMPosted by SonofArgo
They value the eternal conflict so much, the balance they maintained for so long that i'm thinking that the High heavens and the burning hell just might....join forces and try to take out the nephalem.

Might be a big stretch for some people but it's the only threat that we can face at this point that would make sense. The combined might of both is the only thing that could challenge us and give us a run for our money. The destruction of santuary on two fronts instead of the one.
Similar thoughts have crossed my mind recently too. Not so much that the forces of Heaven and Hell want to keep the eternal conflict going, but that they are faced with their destruction and put their differences aside to eliminate the threat of the newly awakened nephalem. An enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of thing. After the destruction of the nephalem they can return to their conflict. Tyrael, now mortal, could easily side with the nephalem on this, especially because there doesn't seem to be any love lost between him and Imperius. This could also be a good way to bring in necromancers as the idea of balance would fit very well into this premise.
At the end of 2nd Expansion you can team up with Angels or Demons and kill opposing side with each of your characters. Then PvP - Angel Nephalems versus Demon Nephalems. :P
03/01/2016 02:18 PMPosted by Will

You're right, it's close, but it's not the same. It seems that Lady Victoria's mother was raped by a full on demon, whereas Adria laid with a human being who had barely begun down the road to full possession. I think it's still safe to say that Leah is the human child of human parents with some kind of spiritual taint provided by a significantly weakened Diablo.

And? You saying that Diablo is not capable of in inseminating the womb of a woman through a man DIablo has possessed? I think you're playing Diablo's powers down to help enforce your own theory there. You're not really bringing anything to the table to help prove your point.

In the ending cinematic from D1, the soulstone is dug out of Diablo's head, and it is then that the body reverts to Albrecht. My explanation for the end of D3 is that whatever method was used to kill Diablo caused the body to disintegrate as it fell leaving the soulstone. Since the soulstone was never removed, the body never had the chance to revert to Leah's form.

Again, another theory to explain. and Again, no hard facts to support them. Here's the funny thing. There has been death animations of demons who's body turns to ash. It's still quite likely that the body of Leah simply turned to ash because...well, she's a demon at this point.

So far I have brought facts to support my theory that Leah is the daughter of the lord of terror. You seem to just bat them aside with your own theories without really proving mine wrong. I can probably also point out that Adria stated, twice, that Leah was the daughter of Diablo. Once in the end of act 3 and again in a personal journal found in westmarsh swamps. But something tells me that you'll theorize and bat that fact away as well, probably stating that she is crazy and should not be taken seriously. Hell, even the Diablo wiki say's she is the daughter of Diablo. http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Leah

At this point, I feel that I should stop arguing this. You are adamant in believing Leah to be nothing more than a pawn piece that is to tossed aside after being used. I believe she will have a bigger role to play in the future. So I give you my best wishes and will drop this conversation for I see nothing to be gained here and nothing but time to be lost.
Fair enough. Thanks for exchanging theories with me. I enjoyed throwing ideas around. Sorry you didn't get the same enjoyment. Good luck.
Why not have Diablo come back in the next expan as some kind of protagonist or like a very snarky helper of sorts. Diablo helps you to fight the next bad guy or gets combined into an item like a talking Skull or something that floats around an insults you while guiding you to some greater truth or evil. Maybe Diablo wasn't the bad guy this whole time maybe he's been trying to get more powerful to stop something else. Could be a good twist.
This is my first post on this website, but follow me out here. So Malthael absorbed the demonic essence of the people of act 5. He was a full blooded angel. Then he absorbed the prime evils in the black soul stone. They became one inside the body of Malthael, but if they get reborn or break free of the crystals. Where maybe they could possibly merge essence. Could they or will they be nephalem?
I hope they bring back the necromancer!
03/30/2016 10:42 AMPosted by Riceman
This is my first post on this website, but follow me out here. So Malthael absorbed the demonic essence of the people of act 5. He was a full blooded angel. Then he absorbed the prime evils in the black soul stone. They became one inside the body of Malthael, but if they get reborn or break free of the crystals. Where maybe they could possibly merge essence. Could they or will they be nephalem?

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but your idea is "logical" and makes sense. You clearly followed the story, and therefore you are WRONG.

I totally understand what you are saying. You say, which is what the story says, that Malthael "absorbs" the souls that are inside the Black soul stone. Therefore, you logically conclude that the Souls are Mingled. Together. That there is a "merging of essences". Sorta like that episode of Star Trek Voyager, entitled "Tuvix", in which a transporter accident merges Tuvok and Neelix and forms Tuvix.

If you kill Tuvix, both Tuvok and Neelix die.

It is logical, it makes sense to assume that if the Souls were separated due to a sudden event and they survived that they would still be more or less "mingled". And if you bring together pure blood angel and pure blood demon, again, according to the story you get a Nephalim! Just as you say!

However, Blizzard's writers are not only woefully unsophisticated, they appear to be taking Fiction back about a thousand years or more! They don't conceive of it that way, nor do any of the Blizz-Fanbois. Whoever wrote this crap appears to conceive of Malthael's death, not only as a death, but as the release of Diablo. the real question is, what kind of stupor were the Blizz exec's in to have approved of the story of "Diablo 3" and "RoS" ???
03/07/2016 04:34 AMPosted by budaz
At the end of 2nd Expansion you can team up with Angels or Demons and kill opposing side with each of your characters. Then PvP - Angel Nephalems versus Demon Nephalems. :P

The concept of corrupted/demonic nephalem and angelic nephalem is not actually dat bad.

Each side has their own perks and !@#$. I dig it.
09/18/2015 06:17 PMPosted by Alex
https://youtu.be/ELjLGj8yE6I
09/19/2015 01:41 PMPosted by Lyrondor
In fact, D3's Diablo could have easily taken on Sanctuary,

Not sure how, seeing as it took a handful of nephalem from sanctuary to kill him. He was going to lose either way.

They more or less dug themselves in a hole with this games lore. Diablo absorbing all prime evils and making him 'The' prime evil kind of means he's logically at his peak, to which the story has 3 ways it can go: Diablo comes back but weaker again, We fight another enemy that's not explicitly Diablo, or Diablo has some other method of being stronger than D3 (which begs the question of why he didn't use it which will ultimately end up in a convoluted answer)

My bet is that we fight another enemy that's not Diablo, since a4 hinted at issues between neph and angels, and RoS serves only to reinforce that. We will likely fight angels of some form.
Taking it another direction...

The consistent theme in all Diablo games is that the Eternal Conflict can possibly be ended through Sanctuary. Thousands of years of angels fighting demons is ultimately unimportant because neither side is capable of winning. Only when both sides figure out that Nephalim and their descendants are the key to turning the tide did anything actually change. The destruction of the Worldstone was the biggest event since the creation of Sanctuary itself, and D3 is mostly the result of that can of worms.

Most of the lore in game - not just little details - point towards the importance of Nephalim (and not just the player character.) One of the smaller but intriguing bits of lore was Rakkis. I like that they clearly patterned him off of Charlemagne but they made him a bit of a scholar instead of just a forgettable dumb warrior. He was intrigued by the Nephalem and was still a good king. Why not have a king take the Zoltan Kulle/Templar grandmaster path and try and become the most powerful at the expense of being good? Up until now, human opponents have either been low bandits or demon pawns of one sort or another. Having a major conflict with a human or nephalem foe would be something the series hasn't done but that would still tie in with the story. Maybe even have a huge battle like ACT III but against your own kind, which magnifies the tragedy of it all?