Phantasms/Ghost/Exorcists

General Discussion
Honestly I think these should count towards a lot more bar progression in Greater Rifts than they currently do, given their utter annoyance and damage. Ideally, killing an elite mob of any of these types should count at almost 2x the progression a regular elite (yellow/blue) mob does. These things separate constantly, either by flying through a wall, or by teleporting right behind you.

Only Xeph ammy helps with Exorcists, but running an immunity amulet takes away from the damage of your top-end amulet (be it Hellfire or whatever). Sure, you could cube it, but I'd say 99% of people have RoRG or CoE as their cubed rings they run, with them being entirely necessary.
I think it's almost to the point where the fair thing to do would be to remove ghosts from the GR monster table all together.

They are just another negative aspect of "fishing" that we are forced to do.

*Open rift*
Is it a cave? - Yes (close) / No - (continue)
*walk to first monsters*
Is it dense enough? - No (close) / Yes - (continue)
How are the mob types? - Bad (close) / Good - (continue)
How are the elite affixes? - Arcane Horde pack? (close)
How are the pylons? - No conduit/Power? (close)
How is the Rift Guardian? - Bad? (fail)

I understand if rifts were all one type of monster and one map and one type of density it would be boring... but it is truly the best way to determine overall leaderboard positioning.

What we have instead is who had their numbers called in the latest lottery draw? Grats on #1
ghosts are ridiculous. who thought it was a good idea that their spell keeps locked on to you even when you move? so basically unless one of your defensive spells isn't on a stupid cooldown, you're dead.

i had one greater rift where i got hit by TEN of those beam things at once, with haunt on CD. tried to run away, all 10 just followed me. boom, dead.
And for added fun, their attacks can't miss!

Keyfacts that make me feel they are broken:
* No possibility to avoid an actual hit (no projectile to evade, no indicator of where it will hit)
* Unavoidable damage (lock on channeling, no possibility to flee)
* Ridiculous range (sometimes they are off screen, no possibility to flee)
* Goes through walls (especially doors you haven't opened yet)
* No line of sight interruption (some sprite animation coming through a wall - lookin' really good thumbsup)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3lpqma/i_would_like_to_raise_torches_and_pickforks_to/

Additionally, in spirit walk and smoke screen, the locked streams stay with you and will hit you when you leave it.
Exorcists damage has been tuned, at least that's what I can tell from now and the last patch. Ghosts are a problem now because they solely focus on you, no longer targeting pets(patch 2.2 had this nice feature)
09/21/2015 09:53 AMPosted by TheDutchMan
I think it's almost to the point where the fair thing to do would be to remove ghosts from the GR monster table all together.

They are just another negative aspect of "fishing" that we are forced to do.

*Open rift*
Is it a cave? - Yes (close) / No - (continue)
*walk to first monsters*
Is it dense enough? - No (close) / Yes - (continue)
How are the mob types? - Bad (close) / Good - (continue)
How are the elite affixes? - Arcane Horde pack? (close)
How are the pylons? - No conduit/Power? (close)
How is the Rift Guardian? - Bad? (fail)

I understand if rifts were all one type of monster and one map and one type of density it would be boring... but it is truly the best way to determine overall leaderboard positioning.

What we have instead is who had their numbers called in the latest lottery draw? Grats on #1

How could you determine pylons a priori...Not possible
they suck so bad. I would be ok with just having the range of their attack shortened.
09/21/2015 12:22 PMPosted by Orchamedes
they suck so bad. I would be ok with just having the range of their attack shortened.

From their perspective, they suck really well! lol

1:) Reduce range of effect.

2:) Remove the ability to hit us unless we can hit them or at least see them.

3:) Reduce the duration of the channeling of the drain. Or increase their cool down between attacks.

4:) Set a maximum amount of them that can hit at once. And let them target pets or followers again. Maybe offset the hits, so we aren't getting hit with several at once, but bouncing between several instead.

Outside of those changes, the amount of damage I can deal with, but as they are currently its a little godly how fast and thorough they can suck you dry.

As for someone who mentioned exorcists. I still hate those things. Their animation seems to have been slowed down a bit, but outside of that you don't want to get close quartered with a pack of them. lol

Game on.
09/21/2015 12:15 PMPosted by Zerbino
How could you determine pylons a priori...Not possible
Very possible.....for cheaters.
09/21/2015 09:36 AMPosted by PaleRider
Honestly I think these should count towards a lot more bar progression in Greater Rifts than they currently do, given their utter annoyance and damage. Ideally, killing an elite mob of any of these types should count at almost 2x the progression a regular elite (yellow/blue) mob does. These things separate constantly, either by flying through a wall, or by teleporting right behind you.

+1

The difference between "annoying" and "challenging" would be the reward, the most problematic monster type/affixes combos should give 2x or even more the amount of progression, i wouldn´t mind to keep a tense battle for 3-4 minutes and a couple of deaths if i get a bunch of progression, monsters could be "ranked" in some form like auras or special colors.

This could be applied to other "annoying" monsters like the act 5 ones and get more progression form difficult monsters as you scale through GR levels.

However the term "difficult" can be tricky because it depends on the class/build, but i´m sure that there are many combinations that are almost equally dangerous for every character.
Thanks for the constructive feedback on this, folks!

We're planning a few adjustments to ghost-type enemies (particularly their Soul Siphon power) in an upcoming patch. They'll need to be closer to attack, will deal less damage overall, and their channeled attack damage will be spread out over a longer duration.
09/22/2015 03:30 PMPosted by Tyvalir

We're planning a few adjustments to ghost-type enemies (particularly their Soul Siphon power) in an upcoming patch. They'll need to be closer to attack, will deal less damage overall, and their channeled attack damage will be spread out over a longer duration.

Thank you so much. You have no idea how happy I was to see this.
And then the new most powerful monster needs a nurf. I guess we will see what that one will be.
please consider that their channeled attack can be avoided. I play rend barb and run with over 40% avoidance in greater rifts. (wotb and warcry)

everytime I face ghosts I get almost oneshot (more like killed in a pretty short timewindow) because I can't avoid their channeling attack. All "damage - ticks" always hit me from each ghost. Its extremely annoying.

Thanks.
09/22/2015 03:32 PMPosted by MeWhenum

Thank you so much. You have no idea how happy I was to see this.

likewise!!!
Yay great news!!! I hate ghosts alot!
It would be even better if there were ways to break their channeling:
- Move behind an unpathable terrain
- Distance of 50y or greater from their initial cast point
- Activation of certain defensive cooldown abilities. Will cause the Ghosts to have to recast their channel.
- Motion abilities (vault, dashing strike, leap, charge, shield bash, falling sword, teleport)

This is great news but when will that patch be released? In three months or so after season ends? We need whole bunch of minor patches after major patch is released. You should also adjust Voracity's Poison Cloud time. These clouds should remain the same time as Rime's Chilling Rings (making new names) and IMO deal the same amount of damage as Rings.

Rework mallet lords while you're at it, please! They have the same excessively spiky damage.

In high GRs they and ghosts are the only two enemy types that we have to skip by default because they simply hurt way too much.