Original Diablo 3 (Pre-RoS)

General Discussion
I was wanting to go back to Original Diablo 3, to before Reaper of Souls expansion to mess around a little bit. Now seeing as I have Reaper of Souls on my computer already (and I love it btw) I was wondering if i could uninstall and re-install to a desired patch to mess around in game with.

I missed out on doing Crypt runs and gathering all of the monsters to the entrance of The Fields of Misery to get like a 1000 kill bonus. I wasn't to great when I played back then and now I am, so I would like to go back and play it in a new light with fresh eyes.

So if anyone knows if its possible or if its even supported anymore by Blizzard to do so I'd love to know thanks.

- Mitch.
09/30/2015 08:02 AMPosted by Lugzury
So if anyone knows if its possible or if its even supported anymore by Blizzard to do so I'd love to know thanks.

I am sorry but no, you can't do that. Blizzard ended support for separate patches in 2004 when WoW was released. Any games released after that only have one version of the code. Everyone, even a starter edition, has the full game. Adding game keys simply unlocks additional game features.

There is no going back and you don't get to opt out of patches. Those are automatic and if they are not applied, you can't play the game at all.
Dang, little bummed out about that but understandable. Thanks for the quick info.
What you could do instead is try out different types of challenges:

- look up Narull's Hardcore Challenge on the Australian forum (which is actually on these forums). Basically you can use a site to randomly determine what skills you have to use (and only those skills), what follower and what their skills use, and even difficulty level (optional);
- look up the word "Ironman" and see what some people do (should it be Ironperson?);
- yellow only gear challenge; and
- just use your imagination and try something you come up with.
Thanks for the idea and I might check it out with a friend. Although I mainly play D3 for the leader boards now. I'll give it a check tho
I think you can still get d3 for xbox 360. it wont be straight vanilla, since console had loot 2.0 implemented into it. If you dont mind console that is.
If you want to go back to before RoS, you can just buy a new license of Diablo 3 on another account..
12/03/2015 07:37 PMPosted by UncleSam
If you want to go back to before RoS, you can just buy a new license of Diablo 3 on another account..

No, you can't. The code for the original game is not playable anymore. EVERYONE plays the same software regardless of version and many changes made impact the Vanilla game too.
You could use nothing but blues, that's pretty much what it was like for a non-AH player.
I was wanting to go back to Original Diablo 3, to before Reaper of Souls expansion to mess around a little bit.

I'd like to do that too.. especially because i don't like RoS nowhere near as much as the original D3 :/
PS3 vanilla is close to the 1.08 version
It sucks we can't do that. I hate it that game companies tells us how to play the games we buy and what is the allowed version. When playing D2, I can play any patch I want, any mod I want, no matter if I am connected to Internet or not. The only restrictions are in battle net (which is understable obviously).

In D3 I need to be connected to Internet even when soloing, must be on latest patch, can't play during maintanance, modding is impossible, and when Blizz shuts down their servers indefinitely I won't be able to play this game anymore.

Thanks, Blizz, I really love how you care for your customers </ sarcasm>.
well, with the argument that developers were using against used game selling (you're only paying us to use the code, you don't actually OWN the game), it makes sense. . . .
12/04/2015 01:19 AMPosted by Turbodevil
It sucks we can't do that. I hate it that game companies tells us how to play the games we buy and what is the allowed version.

yep, especially if they shift the game by 180° after 1,5 years..... it's just like taking away what you've bought/paid for...
My favorite build was CM wiz, had a godly one back in the day getting 300k to 500k crits. Nothing like permafreezing the mp10 ubers.

That said, the game is certainly better now. There will always be optimal builds, but there are certainly a lot more choices now. And I like how legendary items can change everything about the way you play.
I missed out on doing Crypt runs and gathering all of the monsters to the entrance of The Fields of Misery to get like a 1000 kill bonus. I wasn't to great when I played back then and now I am, so I would like to go back and play it in a new light with fresh eyes.

Just find crypts, heard everything, kill it, and don't pick up any of the items that drop.

You are now reliving Vanilla D3
09/30/2015 08:11 AMPosted by Lugzury
understandable

why ?

You still have the choice concerning classic game / expansion and conc. patches in D2, so why not here ?

I f you come with the argument, it´s splitting up the community, I´d have to say that having choices is important in games and I think it´s better to have many satisfied players that split up than a few disappointed players without choices that don´t.
It sucks we can't do that. I hate it that game companies tells us how to play the games we buy and what is the allowed version. When playing D2, I can play any patch I want, any mod I want, no matter if I am connected to Internet or not. The only restrictions are in battle net (which is understable obviously).

In D3 I need to be connected to Internet even when soloing, must be on latest patch, can't play during maintanance, modding is impossible, and when Blizz shuts down their servers indefinitely I won't be able to play this game anymore.

Thanks, Blizz, I really love how you care for your customers </ sarcasm>.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.