Helltooth - Pure Firewall

Witch Doctor
I'm currently playing around with a variation that uses F/R and Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac. Unsure if its better or worse than just using CoE for better burst damage.

Trying various combinations of skills and abilities here. Not sure what's going to work best. Doubt I'll come up with anything that's competitive with the highest builds (Zombie Bear, Slow Burn), but if I find something in this line that can do a level 60 I'll be happy.
10/02/2015 06:09 PMPosted by Russkull
10/02/2015 03:19 PMPosted by Nesa

As brought up earlier in the thread, this is only the real 'problem' with the idea of this build.

One reason why I don't use F&R is that each one I have is unusable because of crappy rolls. The only decent ones I got, which I am using for my carndoc, have attack speed on them.
Another reason is because I'd rather use my skill slot for a buff/debuff skill rather than a primary skill to proc F&R.

Yes I understand, however F/R is a crapton of damage unfortunately.
Stack fire damage % and use Wrathful Protector alongside Firewall. Cube MOJ and Zodiac. The only mana spender you need is Haunt Poison Spirit. Stacking Aps helps since Garg gets your sheet dps and you spam the haunts faster for more CDR. The build is super fun..

I just wish you could use 2pc Jade along with 6pc Helltooth
10/01/2015 05:08 AMPosted by Derplord
I ran a firewall build for a bit.

I cubed Furnace with an ancient Maximus as my weapon.

LOL. Find the mistake.

(Hint: Higher base MinMax damage/range = more FireWall damage)
Honestly its frustrating.

This build really doesn't NEED a primary skill. In an acid cloud or zombie bears build you still need extra mana in a pinch so blazing spiders actually make sense. In this build, you don't really need a primary skill AT ALL for the mechanics of the build and the only reason you have to shoe-horn one in is because you need to proc F/R because nothing else comes close to that amount of damage.

I really, really hope the next patch brings some powerful alternatives for those builds that really don't have naturally fitting primary skills.
0 CD firewall is viable in speed 60s with good gear and a good group. However you are still going to want to use scrim or diviner for lack of better options. I don't think leaving f/r out of WD builds is an option, and even casting 1 slow burn or zbear is going to validate its choice. I have tried a few gotd setups as well and the only really success I saw there was in Tx.

Ingeom is mandatory to this as well and you can bypass CDR. Keep in mind a !@#$ty grift no builds function as planned.
10/03/2015 05:13 PMPosted by VanHelsing
10/01/2015 05:08 AMPosted by Derplord
I ran a firewall build for a bit.

I cubed Furnace with an ancient Maximus as my weapon.

LOL. Find the mistake.

(Hint: Higher base MinMax damage/range = more FireWall damage)

Yes, I had a regular crappy Furnace that I cubed for the elite damage power.

I equipped an ancient well-rolled Maximus for the damage and the plus fire damage (non-orange bonus).

The OP post has a -1 because he is trying something out of the norm? I think this is to be encouraged myself.
10/03/2015 11:12 PMPosted by Xiphon
0 CD firewall is viable in speed 60s with good gear and a good group. However you are still going to want to use scrim or diviner for lack of better options. I don't think leaving f/r out of WD builds is an option, and even casting 1 slow burn or zbear is going to validate its choice. I have tried a few gotd setups as well and the only really success I saw there was in Tx.

Ingeom is mandatory to this as well and you can bypass CDR. Keep in mind a !@#$ty grift no builds function as planned.

I am not knowledgable about other builds for other classes.

Are there ANY viable GRIFT builds currently in Diablo 3 that don't use Focus and Restraint?

The Wrathful protector helltooth build with Short man's finger, CoE, and RROG comes closest, but even it loses out to builds that use it like Slow Burn or Zombie Bear.
Update: just cleared GR60 twice using cubed in-geom, leoric's crown and rorg (equiped grin reaper). I'm really enjoying pure firewall! :)
10/05/2015 06:40 PMPosted by Russkull
Update: just cleared GR60 twice using cubed in-geom, leoric's crown and rorg (equiped grin reaper). I'm really enjoying pure firewall! :)

Equipping sacred harvester is an interesting choice. I think I'd probably rather cube an SMK or something like that though.

I also can't help but feel like using F/R would be more successful. I find my DPS to always just be way too low without it. I'd be interested in seeing a video of the build you're running.
Phew! Just cleared GR61 at 11:40. Here's the build I used:

Weapon: The Furnace
Jewelry: CoE, Unity, HF

Gems: BoT, Gogok, Esoteric
Cubed: SMK, Grin Reaper, Zodiac

Passives: CR, SA, JF, GI
Active: BBV, SH, WoD, SW, Haunt, Piranhado

Getting rid of PtV allowed me to spam haunt without being oom - procing zodiac quicker.
I'm loving this ring! :)
10/03/2015 10:17 PMPosted by Snakebites
Honestly its frustrating.

This build really doesn't NEED a primary skill. In an acid cloud or zombie bears build you still need extra mana in a pinch so blazing spiders actually make sense. In this build, you don't really need a primary skill AT ALL for the mechanics of the build and the only reason you have to shoe-horn one in is because you need to proc F/R because nothing else comes close to that amount of damage.

I really, really hope the next patch brings some powerful alternatives for those builds that really don't have naturally fitting primary skills.

Exactly how I feel about F/R. Without it there's more diversity for viable high-rift builds.
10/02/2015 06:09 PMPosted by Russkull
I don't use F&R

I'm experimenting with a godly SoJ+CoE and that other frigging ring that gives 40% DPS on kill
By accident I ran a pure Firewall in GR55. because I had spiders equipped instead of Acid Cloud. I was like "hey what a weird rift" but still finished it in time. Then I went on to play my Wizard and got owned on T8.