So I finished my set, now what?

General Discussion
I rolled a season Barbarian and Monk this season... haven't played any season ever in any game before so I figured I'd try it out.

I finished my Hammer of the Ancients/Immortal King's and Whirlwind sets in a couple weeks for my Barbarian, got bored, and switched to my Monk. Finished his Uliana's set in a week, got bored, and switched back to my Barbarian for a few days and farmed up 100 Paragon levels or so.

But now what? I don't care at all about full ancient, best-in-slot gear. I completed the handful of builds that are actually fun to play. Any other build, whether set items or assembled legendaries, feels pitifully weak and dreadfully boring in comparison. Why would I want to sacrifice exponential amounts of power to play with the skills I want to?

Point is, sets obliterated any desire I may have had to continue to play as they essentially completely remove player-made build diversity. I either play HoTA in groups or I'm simply dead weight. It's not fun to be trivial, so I'm shoehorned into playing a FoTM build. The extent of my theorycrafting for my HoTA build involves deciding whether to use Nerves of Steel or Brawler.

tl;dr

:(
Set kills diversity. GR timer limits potential builds.

What else can you do? Make other classes or builds if you want. RoS is severely lacking of end-game content.
now you grind for paragons.
10/20/2015 11:13 AMPosted by DoomBringer
Set kills diversity. GR timer limits potential builds.

What else can you do? Make other classes or builds if you want. RoS is severely lacking of end-game content.

I have to largely agree about lack of content. I mean, there's stuff to do and all, and sure I can work to acquire dozens of different ancient legendaries, but why bother if the only "viable" option is to use a small handful of vastly overpowered sets?

To me, the bread and butter of the Diablo franchise is slaughtering monsters, which D3 has made insanely fun and addictive (combat). But... there's only 1 or 2 methods/sets of skills with which to do this efficiently (fun) per class, and once I've acquired the gear to use the cool builds... well, I've already acquired all the gear I'm interested in. So now what?
10/20/2015 11:17 AMPosted by Hangender
now you grind for paragons.

Which is cool and all; I like static character progression that exhibits guaranteed returns per time invested.

But it gets boring very quickly to do this strictly as a HoTA Barb. (or insert any other OP FoTM build)

I mean, if the real goal is to achieve unending heights of power through Paragon, why would I want to do so less efficiently and much more slowly by changing to a different and much weaker build? That seems counterproductive.
10/20/2015 11:25 AMPosted by Zforrest
why would I want to do so less efficiently and much more slowly by changing to a different and much weaker build?
So much this...has been keeping me from switching to my half-built Barb, DH and Monk to finish them off.
Would love to try them, but I don't want to not gain a paragon level for a week or so, while I polish things.
I'll just stay roflstomping TX with my WD in battle-sandals, ty.
Well OP you could challenge your self and roll a Wizard. Since i don't see one on your profile. Try something new.
Maybe D3 isn't your game. Its a gear grind game, not a "get half !@#$, non ancient pieces that can barely do t10 even with OP Set powers and cry thats there's nothing left to do' game.

I'm being serious in saying perhaps Diablo 3 isn't for you. I dislike Heartstone(and really all card games) but I try to stop myself from going to their forums and typing "Ok, now I got full set of cards, they all suck, but I'm done, right?"

Have you tried 'Hello Kitty, Island Adventure?

You posted everything you did to get to end game'ish status(on multiple characters even) but you then stopped at actually doing endgame stuff? I didnt hear one word about trying GR's, pushing solo GR ladder, or anything else thats more difficult than T8(?)

I'd be bored to if all I did all day was speed run t8 rifts to get set items I never planned on using in anything but faster T8 runs.