Expert HT Guidance Request

Witch Doctor
I'm incapable of pushing beyond GR61 and I'm not quite sure why. I believe my gear is well above average, so I'm chalking it up to a L2P/mechanics/strategy issue.

Profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Axvandal-1933/hero/66005868

When pushing GRs I'm using Scrimshaw w/ Henri's. Both are ancient. The Scrimshaw is ~2800dps and Henri's damage range is average for an ancient (max ~+530 damage).

Does anyone see any glaring gaps in my gear/build? Are there any obvious strategies for pushing GRs with Zombie Bears that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance, pros.
  • Are you using Scrimshaw w/ furnace cubed?
  • Afaik, HT's mains source of dmg comes from Firewall, but your shoulders/chest lacks %WoD.
  • Also, AS on gloves isn't that good. Go Vit instead.
  • WOD on chest+ shoulders
    vit over IAS on gloves
    Armor over AR, always (belt/boots/shoulders/pants)
    zc on boots
    +fire instead of poison on bracers.

I assume you run furnace/grin/coe cubed?

I also don't know why you're missing spirit vessel. I'd pick that over swampland any day, or GF if you want both. I've also personally found gizzard to work better than esoteric but YMMV.

other than that, gem lvls, paragon, and fishing are the only real 'endgame' variables for success once your gear is maxed.
    L2P!

GR69 with commentary:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3witchdoctors/comments/3lmad2/ht_wd_solo_grift_69_clear_with_commentary_rank_5/
    10/09/2015 10:33 AMPosted by RedQueen

Armor is better than AR only on chest and pants.
    Yes, sorry, running furnace/GR/CoE in cube.
    10/09/2015 10:49 AMPosted by HunterKiller
    10/09/2015 10:33 AMPosted by RedQueen

Armor is better than AR only on chest and pants.

AR DR's a lot faster for WD (due to int being mainstat) than pure +armor.
    Chest is for +%WOD. Armor can end up on shoulders, belt, pants and boots without taking up a dps secondary.
    Thanks to all for the rundown. I'll modify accordingly and play around with it. Hopefully it helps. :)
    GR69 with commentary:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3witchdoctors/comments/3lmad2/ht_wd_solo_grift_69_clear_with_commentary_rank_5/
    10/09/2015 10:55 AMPosted by RedQueen

Chest is for +%WOD.

Armor on shoulders and boots only get very close to AR when you're very high paragon level and geared to the teeth. If your paragon is not that high and you're using non-ancient shoulders and boots, AR is better. You can't just say armor is always better than AR.

Armor can end up on shoulders, belt, pants and boots without taking up a dps secondary.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Armor and AR are both primary affixes.
    Swampland attunement and GF kind of !@#$ up the balance of AR to armor, so armor should be better.

As always, play around in d3planner.com if you want to compare a specific AR/Armor/whatever roll. Include stuff like GF and SA.
    10/09/2015 11:17 AMPosted by HunterKiller

Chest is for +%WOD.

Armor on shoulders and boots only get very close to AR when you're very high paragon level and geared to the teeth. If your paragon is not that high and you're using non-ancient shoulders and boots, AR is better. You can't just say armor is always better than AR.

Armor can end up on shoulders, belt, pants and boots without taking up a dps secondary.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Armor and AR are both primary affixes.

look at your damage reduction from AR

look at it from armor

The DR is always faster for AR because we are int classes. We have no reliable way to self buff armor except temporary and crappy (languish). Thus armor on gear is a better value than AR. ESPECIALLY running swampland.

I assumed ancient gear because most people pushing high GR (which is sort of implied in the OP) are going to more or less be wearing ancient, and having at least 600PL. These are not hard to get things.

The primary affix is what I meant - when given the option to reroll or get either AR or armor on a piece, go armor.
    10/09/2015 11:39 AMPosted by RedQueen
    The primary affix is what I meant - when given the option to reroll or get either AR or armor on a piece, go armor.

This is sound advice, and typically you can always roll armor and not always AR if the piece rolled with a specific resist secondary.

And the reason is of course that we get AR from INT. The opposite is true for DEX/STR classes in terms of what gives higher eHP (which is ~= 'toughness').
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but you should use "always" with a bit caution. Armor is "situationally better" than AR on shoulders, boots and belt. If given the option to choose between armor or AR, I will still choose AR because being able to roll AR means that piece doesn't have single resist.
    10/09/2015 10:58 AMPosted by MCP
    GR69 with commentary:

completely jelly rift with bone warlock lol. I NEVER GET SUCH RIFTS. never in 60 attempts.
    I am not sure if you only play solo, but playing some Public games and pushing your gems 5-10 more levels wouldn't hurt any.
    10/09/2015 12:37 PMPosted by HunterKiller
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but you should use "always" with a bit caution. Armor is "situationally better" than AR on shoulders, boots and belt. If given the option to choose between armor or AR, I will still choose AR because being able to roll AR means that piece doesn't have single resist.

what? there is no situation where the added 0.1 or w/e % DR from AR increase will win over a 1% or greater DR gain from armor. I cannot imagine a character sheet for WD where AR gains give better DR yield over armor (except maybe at very low para or something?)

I mean if you have 2 equivalent pieces of gear and one has a single resist and the other gold find, obviously I pick the single resist. But that's not the discussion here.

I mean if you have 2 equivalent pieces of gear and one has a single resist and the other gold find, obviously I pick the single resist. But that's not the discussion here.

I don't know. Saving gold now will better help you once hey add a gold sink.
    10/09/2015 01:07 PMPosted by fleeeeetwood

Gold doesn't drop in GRifts, and that's what this thread is about.
    10/09/2015 01:07 PMPosted by fleeeeetwood

Gold doesn't drop in GRifts, and that's what this thread is about.

I was being sarcastic =/