Give ranged classes 30% damage reduction too !

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
With the removal of CC this patch, ranged survivability wasn't accounted for and is still way too low.

Monks/ barbs can sit in melee and facetank all monsters ,affixes, while also dealing insane damage.Those that still don't play those classes, ranged, have to work 10 times harder to survive, dodge everything, even including white mobs that 1 shot you and don't even get the benefit of doing more damage.

edit : Looks like too many people here are monks/barbs and can't see past helping other classes out too.

EVERY class in the game is essentially melee now with the current meta. There is no benefit to playing in ranged other than being squishy, not being close to your heal monk,not getting IP buff and dying to random white mobs if your actually dumb enough to be 30-40 yards away from the group. Its not even possible to shoot that far considering how small the d3 screen is anyway. On top of this, you do like half of the damage say a SC monk does so there is no damage advantage whatsoever and monsters can close the gap to you within 1 second anyway.
you are SUPPOSED to dodge as a ranged class. Not sure why you would tank. Dodge reposition, cc and them spam skills.
No, ranged already gets an innate 100% damage reduction by being able to vault, teleport, etc away from enemies and kill them before they ever get to you. Melee characters HAVE to take damage just to get into close range. Let alone kill something.
10/27/2015 12:57 PMPosted by royalgoddess
you are SUPPOSED to dodge as a ranged class. Not sure why you would tank. Dodge reposition, cc and them spam skills.

Take that back. Dodge was removed from DH and replaced with armor. But monks somehow still have this ability.
That innate damage reduce is something leftover from times long past and should have been removed.
10/27/2015 12:59 PMPosted by GodofMagic
No, ranged already gets an innate 100% damage reduction by being able to vault, teleport, etc away from enemies and kill them before they ever get to you. Melee characters HAVE to take damage just to get into close range. Let alone kill something.

So explain to me why monks need 2 skills to teleport. I thought you just said they could tank.
No.
10/27/2015 01:01 PMPosted by Samyaza
That innate damage reduce is something leftover from times long past and should have been removed.

Why? Did melee suddenly start taking less hits?
10/27/2015 01:03 PMPosted by CrayZ

So explain to me why monks need 2 skills to teleport. I thought you just said they could tank.

1) Mobility: Monks don't have to escape as often as non-melee classes but need good mobility for the sake of speed. Run/walk is capped, dashing strike is light years faster.

2) Sets: Monks are forced into a set that requires us to have SSS to be any good. Monks do not get to choose. Would you play a U6 monk without SSS? It's a mandatory skill for U6.

3) DPS: Diablo 3 is all about DPS. Want to get to a higher GR level? You need more DPS. Want to do speed runs in 40+? You need more DPS. Want to do anything in Diablo 3 efficiently? You need more DPS. It doesn't matter if melee characters have more tanking ability. Eventually GRs will get to a point where you need to avoid certain hits all together to live. Mallet Lord hits for example. Tank or not, why wouldn't you have a teleport skill.

Monks can tank. Even though I never said anything about that. Simply that they needed to take damage in order to get in close. But this is why they need teleport like skills as well.
10/27/2015 01:29 PMPosted by joojoobee
Why? Did melee suddenly start taking less hits?

This right here is probably how Blizz is thinking.
you are SUPPOSED to dodge as a ranged class.
My Witch Doctor is not so good at dodging. Kinda hard to dodge reflect and teleports and aoe damage. And don't even get me started on those exorcist ghost mobs.
By the "funny" aggression range of most mobs i tend to say that every char is more or less a melee class in this game.

Just test it yourself - most mobs already focused agression on ya while they just appeared on the other edge of your screen.
It just doesn't make sense, really...

So what you really are suggesting is make melee classes ranged or what?

In order for melee to deal damage, they need to be in melee range!

Yea, just remove it. And at the same time make ranged skills 3yard range. Problem solved!

Man, some people and their logic...
you are SUPPOSED to dodge as a ranged class.

are we supposed to be an arcade-game-class?

anyway, DH never has been supposed to dodge every single attack, that's just in the imagination of the arcade-gamers...

No, ranged already gets an innate 100% damage reduction by being able to vault

that is so false in so many ways....

vault doesn't reduces your damage, vault, get hit while vaulting, then you're dead...
what about smokescreen? when being hit while CD?
what about shadowpower?

anyway OP, i agree with you =)

with the upcoming shadow-set DH will definately need more DR ^^
In regards to the original poster I would have to disagree. Even though I mainly play the Demon Hunter class I would not be in favor of giving them the 30% damage reduction.

I would say dodge should come back into play though, I only say that because there are still Demon Hunter class specific items that still have to do with dodging attacks which is no longer apart of the class design. For example, look at the Blackfeather cloak, "Dodging or getting hit by a ranged attack automatically shoots a homing rocket back at the attacker for 600–800% weapon damage as Physical." Demon Hunters don't dodge anymore so either the cloak should be reworked or give dodge back; there are other dodge related items too.
If melee classes get 30% damage reduction, and ranged classes get 30% damage reduction, then everybody has 30% damage reduction. That means that they would just be scaling back all damage by 30%.

Good news! This feature already exists in the game! Just drop your difficulty level down to the appropriate one for your current gear and build!
10/27/2015 01:00 PMPosted by CrayZ

Take that back. Dodge was removed from DH and replaced with armor. But monks somehow still have this ability.

Yes somehow miraculously it just happens. Or perhaps it's a passive slot or maybe a skill selection.

L2P
10/27/2015 02:11 PMPosted by Melilotus
If melee classes get 30% damage reduction, and ranged classes get 30% damage reduction, then everybody has 30% damage reduction. That means that they would just be scaling back all damage by 30%.

Good news! This feature already exists in the game! Just drop your difficulty level down to the appropriate one for your current gear and build!

Bingo. People are always comparing themselves to others and getting upset because Johnny can do something they can't. Ranged classes have high damage, high attack speed and can kite everything. They have a tremendous advantage over melee classes. If they would actually hear themselves to be able to take some damage, they would be much better off. Monks, Barbs and Crusaders all use skill slots for added damage reduction, wear or cube unity, and emphasis both resists and vitality. DH's could do the same, but they refuse. Always maxing out damage and trying to avoid damage instead being a true Nephalem.

This is Diablo 3. It's not Donkey Kong. Quit playing the game like an arcade title and actually use your brain to build and equip your character correctly.
10/27/2015 02:28 PMPosted by kcbandit
Ranged classes have high damage, high attack speed and can kite everything.

high damage, obviously not enough, otherwise the ranged classes wouldn't be so far behind.

in D3 1.00 i would have agreed with you. In 2.3 i have to disagree. If you were down to go for kite, then you would end in a never-ending kite dealing 0 damage at all, the reason is the monster types as well as the very high density.

This is Diablo 3. It's not Donkey Kong. Quit playing the game like an arcade title and actually use your brain to build and equip your character correctly.

this sentence at the end of your post, where you suggest to play the class like donkey kong.... i don't even.

Btw, if you go balanced toughness/DPS, you're struggling with clearing GR 50 as DH....
Ranged classes have high damage, high attack speed and can kite everything. They have a tremendous advantage over melee classes. If they would actually hear themselves to be able to take some damage, they would be much better off. Monks, Barbs and Crusaders all use skill slots for added damage reduction, wear or cube unity, and emphasis both resists and vitality. DH's could do the same, but they refuse. Always maxing out damage and trying to avoid damage instead being a true Nephalem.

Nonsense as of things are today.