Elite Affixes are Lame at Best

General Discussion
Elite affixes are very poorly designed and balanced. I can't count the times I died to Molten or Frozen explosions. It sometimes happens when Jailed, to add insult to injury. Many of those affixes are just ANNOYING. It's simply NOT FUN AT ALL to contend with them. For ex. Arcane Enchanted "lasers". Is there anybody who likes to RUN AROUND trying to avoid them. There are some affixes which are truly idiotic: Vortex for ex. I play WD and I'm very squishy in higher GR. I try to position myself carefully behind my pets and do AoE. It's deadly for me to be vortexed on top of an elite pack. I can do nothing to prevent it. It's almost certain instant death. Some affixes are not deadly, just pain in the !@#: Plague, Desecrator. They don't kill but you have to constantly move away. Some affixes are completely useless: Illusionist.

All in all there is NOT A SINGLE GOOD ELITE AFFIX in the game. All of them are idiotic, boring, annoying or broken. It's ridiculous that elite packs are SO MUCH more powerful then normal monsters. I NEVER die to normal monsters, but those elites are a gamble. I get Jailed into Molten: die, I get Votexed into Arcane Enchanted field: die. It's terrible...

How is this even possible after SO MANY years of development?
I can agree that some affixes are annoying when paired together.

But honestly, I prefer this to 'Physical Immune" "Magic Immune" "Fire Immune" "Ice Immune" "Electric Immune"

If you think Affixes are annoying in Diablo 3, then I'd like you to try to play through all the way to hell mode on Diablo 2.

I prefer 3's model by a very wide margin.
personally, i think the wormhole affix is one of the more interesting ones. that ice ball thing that follows you is also decent. affixes could definitely be improved to promote different gameplay, but gear would have to be changed as well to make affixes anything but annoying. what new affix would you suggest?

like the guy above said, immunes were just cheap and lazy design, but it worked at the time because games were still fairly experimental.

i'm glad we dont have to deal with immune minions anymore. immune minions, vortex, arcane, and horde made everyone just leave.
11/01/2015 12:06 PMPosted by Daimos
Elite affixes are very poorly designed and balanced. I can't count the times I died to Molten or Frozen explosions. It sometimes happens when Jailed, to add insult to injury. Many of those affixes are just ANNOYING. It's simply NOT FUN AT ALL to contend with them. For ex. Arcane Enchanted "lasers". Is there anybody who likes to RUN AROUND trying to avoid them. There are some affixes which are truly idiotic: Vortex for ex. I play WD and I'm very squishy in higher GR. I try to position myself carefully behind my pets and do AoE. It's deadly for me to be vortexed on top of an elite pack. I can do nothing to prevent it. It's almost certain instant death. Some affixes are not deadly, just pain in the !@#: Plague, Desecrator. They don't kill but you have to constantly move away. Some affixes are completely useless: Illusionist.

All in all there is NOT A SINGLE GOOD ELITE AFFIX in the game. All of them are idiotic, boring, annoying or broken. It's ridiculous that elite packs are SO MUCH more powerful then normal monsters. I NEVER die to normal monsters, but those elites are a gamble. I get Jailed into Molten: die, I get Votexed into Arcane Enchanted field: die. It's terrible...

How is this even possible after SO MANY years of development?

Priceless post! It doesn't strike you at all that it's not the game but you that's idiotic?

On a serious note, you could get some help in the wd forum.
Yeah, should be nothing in the game that can kill us or even hurt us. Be good if we didn't have to click our mouse or push buttons to kill things either. Or move to find them. Have the monsters come to us and just die as soon as they get on screen. Blizz please listen!
In D2 there were "Champions" monsters too. There were also cool "Ghostly" translucent ones and several others. My point is that those affixes should not be so aggravating. Elite affixes should add A BIT of variety and challenge instead of "1 HIT KO" bs (Molten/Frozen), don't you agree?

One more thing. Playing WD I can evade almost all of the crap by Spirit Walk. It's nice to have, BUT I feel gimped by using it, since there are no death penalties in this game. As a result I feel FORCED to go all damage and accept death, since additional defense at times is not worth curbing my DPS permanently.
All in all there is NOT A SINGLE GOOD ELITE AFFIX in the game. All of them are idiotic, boring, annoying or broken.
I'm still waiting on the part where you suggest better elite affixes or contribute a constructive idea of how to balance the existing ones. Oh, that's right; you were just complaining. I'll just draw a big frowny-face and be on my way.
11/01/2015 01:03 PMPosted by Daimos
don't you agree?

The Helltooth build can be a true monster if you set it up right.
I'm a game developer myself (amateur so far). I know a thing or two about design. My quick ideas:

1. Make all affixes change how monsters look, in order to introduce visual variety. Make them bigger/smaller, different color, particle effect etc.
2. Make most elite affixes as auras. These auras should benefit the whole pack. Various classic auras are possible: offensive (+speed, +damage, etc.) defensive (vampiric, +armor, etc.) and support (frost, mana drain, etc.).

Currently most affixes look like stuff from Super Mario. XD Frozen Pulse, really?
11/01/2015 12:33 PMPosted by Nyaria
I can agree that some affixes are annoying when paired together.

But honestly, I prefer this to 'Physical Immune" "Magic Immune" "Fire Immune" "Ice Immune" "Electric Immune"

If you think Affixes are annoying in Diablo 3, then I'd like you to try to play through all the way to hell mode on Diablo 2.

I prefer 3's model by a very wide margin.

If you were lame in Diablo2, the problem is entirely yours.

I can't recall enemies with 4 immunities. I recall them having only two. On the builds, that I played, I had no problem:

Bonemancer: you do magic damage and there are extremely few monsters immune to that. The merc (and you forget, that in D2:LoD you could have a merc always with you, including in multiplayer) was there to dispatch them.

Poison Necro: Lower Resist removed poison immunity

Wind Druid: Half your damage is cold, the other half -- physical. Cold+Physical immunity were extremely rare. You could skip them, or you could simply get a merc with elemental damage from Act3, or equip a merc with a weapon, that gives him fire/lightning/poison.

Soso: Lightning + Cold +Physical merc (Act2/Act5)=no problem. The Act2 merc could carry a weapon, with Conviction Aura.

These are just at the top of my head. I am pretty sure other classes also had solutions.
At the risk of being booed out of the forum, I'll just say that there are plenty of items and skills that allow you mitigate the effects of these affixes. You just need to use them.
The one thing I find to be rather "lame" is Nightmarish".

I killed Diablo with my bare hands (and a bunch of wrath/magic)!!!111 what could they possibly do that would make me afraid enough to run away?

0_o
Indeed, Diablo2 affixes -_-. I'm happy with Diablo3.

Alternatively, reduce the difficulty level.
@Daimos Situational awareness is what you need, not to complain about lame affixes. They used to be much much worse/harder. Just imagine an elite mob that has horde/invulnerable minions/mortar. No one has cause to complain about them being overpowered. Sorry but I see this as a post to qq for the sake of qqing. I think it's a serious learn to play/paragon level issue, especially because you're saying you play WD. They're in an amazing spot right now.
Sounds like OP is playing in a difficulty beyond your character's gear limitations and does not know too well the class he/she is playing.

HT is the more tanky build of all the WD builds, ever tried Carnevil?

You have to be up close to mobs using HT even when using SuWong. You are using the wrong passives, swamp land attunement is a must. You have other passives to play with if you are dying a lot, like spirit vessel, bad medicine and jungle fortitude.

You also have Leg gems to boost your survivability.
OP is just complaining cause he's dying too much...

If you can't handle the heat, lower the difficulty.

I still rem the vanilla days of sick difficulty that was awesome. Invul minions Horde Arcane and you get laser fest.
I compare my WD experience to my Necromancer experience from D2:LoD. In D2 if I play carefully I NEVER die and I NEVER take damage. It's done correctly there.

BTW, in D2 there is no lame CC like Jailer, Knockback, Vortex and other crap. You ALWAYS control your hero and you can position yourself with high precision, avoiding all damage (as a Necromancer).
Elite affixes are very poorly designed

+1
I play WD and I'm very squishy in higher GR.

Guessing from your gems, do you mean the high GR level of 30?

Looking at your toon, you are missing about 10 defensive rolls and have a low paragon. Your toughness and recovery are almost nothing, barely enough for t6. You don't have a cheat death passive either. Of course you are dying all the time.
WD is one of the top dps dealer this season, if you are dieing playing WD you are doing something terribly wrong. Take a moment to look at builds in youtube before you start complaining about affixes. Though the elite affixes could use some rework i don't want them dumbed down. This game is already a joke and walk in the park now. With over powered sets there is no challenge at all- unless you play hardcore. Years of development has nothing to do with your lack of skills in gameplay. If you play higher difficulty than your gears - yes without a DOUBT you will get floored. The game is working as intended.