Blizzard missed the perfect window for the Banwave

General Discussion
Blame people for watching those guys bot and cheat. They get cash for that.

Stop watching them, stop caring for no-life internet nobodies, and things will go smooth.
11/22/2015 08:33 PMPosted by Aldon
Never saw the point to proceed with "ban-waves" anyway. Should someone, when recognized as a cheater, not be banned in the minute? Or Blizzard really has to wait for a lot of cheaters revealed, to finally ban them all?

[/quote]

They just ban them all in a wave so the chances of other cheaters finding out what give them away is less likely instead of just banning them when they see them
gaby still bots on seconds account as well as all sos clan. noone from blizz cares
11/22/2015 11:27 PMPosted by Phoenix074
If you truly want to do something to stop the streamers from botting then...STOP PAYING THEM!!!!

this +1
nerf group bonuses some more and they won't be able to fast forward to the end game paragon as quickly...
Blizzard can literally make money off banning, but they choose not to.

Shows what their opinion on botting really is.
11/23/2015 12:36 AMPosted by Yuri
Blame people for watching those guys bot and cheat. They get cash for that.

Stop watching them, stop caring for no-life internet nobodies, and things will go smooth.

What about those who does not stream?
11/23/2015 07:25 AMPosted by DarkSol
gaby still bots on seconds account as well as all sos clan. noone from blizz cares

and RedX just popped over said hi
11/22/2015 08:33 PMPosted by Aldon
Sometimes, oddities surpass common sense, it seems. My thought on the subject, among others, is that their cheat detect program they use, needs a serious 2015 overhaul, because it does not seem to properly work to begin with.
Cheat protections works wonderfully! Exactly how they want it to.
You're in a paid-for-play game like WoW or Hearthstone? Bans handed down.
You're in a competitive game that attracts e-sport attention like Starcraft or HoTS? Bans handed down.

You're in a dead end game like D3 with no revenue, no competitive aspects, no upcoming expansion, and a small corner less than the size of a restroom given to you at Blizzcon? No bans handed down. Not worth the time/money/effort.

Sad facts. Truly sad.
Ban wave is useless as people know it is safest right after one.. so after banning one wave of botters, they will be replaced by yet another wave.
Stopping the botting software makers is more effective than banning individuals, the issue is that can take years to achieve and it's all to do with civil law not criminal law. So litigation is the only avenue in that sense.

While cheaters need to be dealt with as well, it's pointless if it's the only thing they do.

They also need to be careful about who they ban and what evidence they use to initiate the ban. If they have information that proves the use of botting, they have to have obtained that information legally or they are breaking the law.

While it may be possible to easily collect the required proof, the methodology must be legal or the information is pointless.

Also what if they mistake one piece of software that's not involved with a botting software and ban people who are innocent?

It's just not as clear cut as we would like sadly.

Cheers
The perfect time for Blizz to ban cheaters is when they have all of the evidence and decide to take action. That is true even for those botting in seasons. When Blizz has all of the evidence catching all of those using the same bot. No doubt they also want to break that bot. So new ones don't come in using the same old bot. They do this even without ban waves. Although I do think they should announce account bans regularly to show that those actions are not tolerated. Doing things secretly can have both benefits and problems. The problem is when players believe nothingis being done. Due to thinking the only time they ban is during a ban wave.

It could be announced every year. Or if needed it could be announced after every conference call. Otherwise it is seen as them doing nothing by the players. Because players only believe that action is taken when a ban wave occurs.
What needs to happen is this....

To buy a game, you have to go to a licenced distributor. You tell them what game you want, you then give them your state identification card / drivers licence. That gets scanned into the system, you pay for the game, your then able to download the game. The licence is tied to your id. If you dont have one then you cant get the game.

Now...if you cheat in a game, the game company flags your account as a cheater. If you get suspended for it, it get put onto your record. If you end up ignoring punishments and refuse to change your ways, then the company flags your card as perma banned in either the game, or even their entire service.

You then go to the store to buy a new game, the cashier scans your card, it pops up "BANNED", cashier then politely informs you that your banned from such game / company and cannot receive another copy.
12/07/2015 07:54 PMPosted by Ansém
What needs to happen is this....

To buy a game, you have to go to a licenced distributor. You tell them what game you want, you then give them your state identification card / drivers licence. That gets scanned into the system, you pay for the game, your then able to download the game. The licence is tied to your id. If you dont have one then you cant get the game.

Now...if you cheat in a game, the game company flags your account as a cheater. If you get suspended for it, it get put onto your record. If you end up ignoring punishments and refuse to change your ways, then the company flags your card as perma banned in either the game, or even their entire service.

You then go to the store to buy a new game, the cashier scans your card, it pops up "BANNED", cashier then politely informs you that your banned from such game / company and cannot receive another copy.

I am not a lawyer but that might have legal issues. Further cheating in a game is not breaking any laws of the land that we live in. It is not a crime in the real world.
12/07/2015 09:13 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
I am not a lawyer but that might have legal issues. Further cheating in a game is not breaking any laws of the land that we live in. It is not a crime in the real world.

re read what I said. No where did I mention breaking of a law. This would be a step up from being carded for your age when you buy certain items. What they are doing by using an ID is so that they can confirm its your card, the scanning of it queries the company, in this case blizzard...to see if your clear to purchase their game.

If your new, then the cashier assists you with setting up an account, because once you buy the game, its locked to your account and your name, if your currently suspended it will tell the cashier when the customer can purchase a new copy. If you were banned then the cashier cant sell you one, as attaching a new copy would be pointless.

In this way people would be alot more scared of trying to cheat, as they wouldnt be able to buy a new licence after a suspention and continue what they were while their primary account waits to come off of the suspention. Using someone else's card would constitute idenity theft. Also the company who does do the suspentions / banning will have the choice of banning you from just that game, or from their entire system.

This wouldnt break any laws, this would just be a more advanced means to make sure that people dont try to circumvent any punishment a company has instigated against the user.
12/08/2015 12:06 AMPosted by Ansém
12/07/2015 09:13 PMPosted by ShadowAegis

re read what I said. No where did I mention breaking of a law. This would be a step up from being carded for your age when you buy certain items. What they are doing by using an ID is so that they can confirm its your card, the scanning of it queries the company, in this case blizzard...to see if your clear to purchase their game.

If your new, then the cashier assists you with setting up an account, because once you buy the game, its locked to your account and your name, if your currently suspended it will tell the cashier when the customer can purchase a new copy. If you were banned then the cashier cant sell you one, as attaching a new copy would be pointless.

In this way people would be alot more scared of trying to cheat, as they wouldnt be able to buy a new licence after a suspention and continue what they were while their primary account waits to come off of the suspention. Using someone else's card would constitute idenity theft. Also the company who does do the suspentions / banning will have the choice of banning you from just that game, or from their entire system.

This wouldnt break any laws, this would just be a more advanced means to make sure that people dont try to circumvent any punishment a company has instigated against the user.

Look the only reason anyone get's carded to make sure they are old enough to buy booze and cigarettes is because there are laws that saying you must be of legal age to buy either.

So since there are no laws that will allow a game company to set up such a thing. Before they could even think of doing something like this their lawyers would have to look into it. Also branding someone as a criminal for cheating in a fictitious game world could have legal issues in the form of lawsuits. Remember before they even make their terms of service they had their lawyers go over it before they made it and put it out to us.
11/22/2015 06:22 PMPosted by Atomsk
Hopefully, Blizzard doesn't miss the next best window for a ban-wave, which is right before S5 starts.

I wanna correct you right here... : perfect banwave window = every day.

There should not be a season ending ban waving but a weekly at least.
12/08/2015 02:05 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
So since there are no laws that will allow a game company to set up such a thing.

Theres no laws preventing them either.

12/08/2015 02:05 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
Also branding someone as a criminal for cheating in a fictitious game world could have legal issues in the form of lawsuits

/facepalm

Again, where does it say your a criminal for it? Did I say you couldnt play another game ever again? No. This system would enforce a game maker's rules and prevent someone like you from saying "f u blizz you cant ban me, here ill throw cash at your forhead, get back in, and laugh in your face while I continue to cheat".

As a game company they have the RIGHT to refuse service to ANYONE. They set the rules, you break them, your put in the corner in timeout.

As for those so called legal lawsuits your trying to tote, there are none, if there was then blizz would be up to their ears for banning people....so you see....no lawsuit for blizz, however there is a potential lawsuit for you as using someone else's identification constitutes identity theft. Blizz could use your credit information for this, but then no one would use it, they would all go to prepaid cards, or prepaid credit cards, atleast those who intend to cheat.

This would also prevent accounts from being sold, and gold spammers would have to use their own accounts and once banned, they wouldnt be useful to the company anymore. Sorry joe but gonna have to let you go, you got banned so you cant perform your job anymore. We would also like to appologize that you wont be able to play this game for your own reasons, heres your 20 dollar check and a complimentary box of tissue.
Posted by ShadowAegis
Also branding someone as a criminal for cheating in a fictitious game world could have legal issues in the form of lawsuits

You're a criminal.

Come at me bruhhhhh
Theres no laws preventing them either.

I would rather do research or talk to a real attorney face to face to make sure there are no such laws. I am certain that if Blizz wanted to so something like that their legal team would look into it before even attempting to set up such a thing. So I would trust them and their legal team over someone that I don't know personally.

12/08/2015 08:25 AMPosted by Ansém
Again, where does it say your a criminal for it?

You said this.

12/07/2015 07:54 PMPosted by Ansém

Flagging your id as being banned and put on a record is like being branded a criminal. Where do you think your record is tied to your name only. If you have such a unique name that there is only one person in the world with that name and you are that person then you could pull that off. Otherwise it has to be attached to personal information like oh I don't know a state id, driver's license.

I am certain that if someone has an outstanding warrant for arrest. Then that person get's pulled over for speeding. Their id is entered into the police officer's computer and it will come back with that outstanding warrant. Also your personal information like name, address, telephone number, etc... is also attached to any criminal record that you have if you have one. That is why I say you are trying to brand someone as a criminal and there might be some legal issues over it.

12/08/2015 08:25 AMPosted by Ansém
As for those so called legal lawsuits your trying to tote, there are none, if there was then blizz would be up to their ears for banning people....so you see....no lawsuit for blizz, however there is a potential lawsuit for you as using someone else's identification constitutes identity theft. Blizz could use your credit information for this, but then no one would use it, they would all go to prepaid cards, or prepaid credit cards, atleast those who intend to cheat.

They can ban you because it is not based on your personal information. It is just based on that account you have set up. That account is treated as a person and is banned.

Why don't you think they don't ban based on your credit information? Do you think it could be because there would be laws preventing them from doing so. Just like there would be legal issues banning the computer if someone sells it to someone else later on.

Like I said when Blizz made the terms of service and the end user license agreement they had to have their legal team help them put those together for them. Otherwise they could've been sued for breaking the law. So I will trust their legal team more than you.