Don't Cap Paragon

General Discussion
All through D3's history, there has been a rousing battle cry from casual D3 gamers: "We don't have enough time to put in as the no-lifers, so we need easier access to high end items." OK, the wording might be mine, but the intent is the same; throughout this game's history, casuals have wanted the same stuff as those who put a ton of time and effort into the game.

And over time, they have won. Just last patch, Blizz introduced two new Win Buttons that caused casuals far and wide to rejoice:

1. The ability to turn crafting mats in to legs.

2. The ability to re-roll legs.

Wow... Just... wow. Score a big win for the casuals. A big slap in the face for those of us who spent months farming for really rare gear. A friend of mine spent nine months chasing after a Star Metal Kukri. Now anyone with enough mats to make 15 yellow Ceremonial Knives then upgrade them in the cube can have an smk. Oh, and now the casuals are complaining about the costs to use these recipes, but that's the subject of another facepalming thread.

So where am I going with this? It used to be that the reward for those who put a lot of time in to this game was access to better gear. That reward is gone as of 2.3.

The only remaining benefit of putting a lot of effort in to D3 is Paragon. It's the last bastion for those who put in the time.

And it should NOT be nerfed. The casuals have won the battles up 'til now. Let's not roll over and give them another win.

DO NOT CHANGE OR CAP PARAGON!

And yes, I realize that bots can unfairly skew paragon, but that should not be a reason to unfairly screw over those of us who have earned every level. The Bot problem is Blizzard's. And veteran players should not be penalized for Blizzard's utter and complete failure to control the bot problem. So keep your bot posts outta this thread.

Yeah, I know I'm gonna get all sorts of flames for this, but I really don't care. The casuals have had their say, and it's time for us bittervets to have ours.
prepare to get downvoted to oblivion, and rightfully so.

what you find fun is not what everyone else finds fun. i can assure you, i didn't find waiting 700 paragon for a furnace fun, back when 700 paragon was an achievement.

and even the hardcore players are asking for a cap, if for no other reason than to level the playing field for botters.
Yes cap pargagon and rework it completly
Got your point and agree :P

Ok, not joking now...cap it and rework it.....
Just add paragon brackets.

No need to add a paragon cap when you add a grift bracket that says you can set to 300/600/1200 paragon.
I'm somewhat casual but I play nearly every evening.

I don't care if they cap it or not.

I don't need it capped. I can deal with it if it gets capped.

If they do anything, they could reduce the effectiveness of paragon above 800. But I don't care either way.

They did implement changes that should have at least narrowed the discrepancy between 4 player games and those games with less than 4 players. That was my biggest complaint from this current season 4.

No matter what they do, no matter what steps are taken, those that play more are going to benefit more. Period.

Game on.
Put a cap on paragon and give us something else to grind for.
11/26/2015 09:47 AMPosted by smiLey
Put a cap on paragon and give us something else to grind for.

That would be the ultimate solution. But Paragon needs to be left alone until they're actually ready to implement a different reward for those who put time in to this game.
The thing is, "bittervets" are an overwhelmingly small minority. This doesn't mean you're right or wrong, it just means Blizzard is a business, and as such, it will try to cater to the majority, whether we agree with it or not.

Personally, I think the current farm paragons4ever meta is pretty uninspired. I mean, Diablo is a loot hunting game, right? Why the heck should we be pursuing endless levels that are reduced to +5 mainstat instead of putting together new exciting gearsets to try out different things? Why the hell are we forced to use a handful of very specific setups to have attain a somewhat progression rate?

This is what happens when the game's itemization is reduced to getting a handful of overpowered sets that kill the remaining 90% of items. It was, is, and will always be a stupid idea for an ARPG.

You're right, though. The efforts of those putting a lot of time and effort into the game shouldn't be trivialized. I'm just pointing out how disappointingly oversimplified the current system is. I'd rather have systems that entice me to try crazy things without feeling striding away from the tunnel-visioned designs from the development team are just going to make those fun experiments fail before they even start. I really hope they don't screw LoN up by trying to impose (again...) their personally crafted and laughably overpowered sets as the only viable option to progress somewhat decently.
11/26/2015 08:34 AMPosted by Ryoko
prepare to get downvoted to oblivion, and rightfully so.

what you find fun is not what everyone else finds fun. i can assure you, i didn't find waiting 700 paragon for a furnace fun, back when 700 paragon was an achievement.

and even the hardcore players are asking for a cap, if for no other reason than to level the playing field for botters.

What does paragons and furnace has to do with each other? I think you just made the most retarded post to this day. Even if paragon levels were gone u would still be waiting a long time to get ur dumb weapon to drop, just u would get no reward while u wait for it to drop...

Too many people care about how well billy bob is doing down the street and want a cap so kids can keep up with them in the hopes they might be better, ur not going to be better, ur just spend more time crying how there gear they use needs to be nerfed.
Some MMORPGS have a nice implementation of the time/reward equation.

Eve Online, as an example, typically has skills that will give you a 5% bonus per level, but each level require five times more XP than the previous one. it allow relatively new players to catch up and be somewhat competitive while old players still have a signifiant edge.

Instead of one global parangon Xp scale with slow increase, we should have one per parangon skill, with a sharp exponential scale, but no easily reached limit. Let players spend 500 billions XP for one more CC percent, if they wish, instead of the boring primary stat.
11/26/2015 04:30 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
I mean, Diablo is a loot hunting game, right? Why the heck should we be pursuing endless levels that are reduced to +5 mainstat instead of putting together new exciting gearsets to try out different things? Why the hell are we forced to use a handful of very specific setups to have attain a somewhat progression rate?

you can try all sorts of builds, but if you tried t10 with them you'd spend all day trying to kill the mobs without dying. it is unfortunate the building blocks to make diverse builds seems almost there but, they just... don't... have... the powah
11/26/2015 08:41 AMPosted by Rol
Just add paragon brackets.

No need to add a paragon cap when you add a grift bracket that says you can set to 300/600/1200 paragon.

pointless? who cares about rank #1 on 300?
if there is a certain cap you have a goal to strive for...
you might say after that there is nothing left to do but just think about this yourself... if the cap for season 4 would be lets say 1750 would that have a bad effect for competition?
Who cares if said player is paragon level 230 and other player is 2478 I wager a bet that they'll never play together. The cap paragon players are the wah wah wah I want to see my character on the leader boards. Last I checked Diablo 3 isn't at the local arcade so why concern yourself with the "highs score" screen? If you don't want to grind to paragon 2000 or whatever set a personal goal reach it and move on. Mine is paragon 800 and almost there once season is over 704+600 equals 740 something. Hit a solo GR and move on, mine 60 almost there, cleared a 59 the other day (sadly GR are all ring luck as I'll fail 60 sometimes by 10 mins other will miss the boss kill by 30seconds)

Other Arpgs are out there stop crying over one and try another.
11/27/2015 05:21 AMPosted by Gannon
The cap paragon players are the wah wah wah I want to see my character on the leader boards.

sounds confusing if the +2k paragon players say a cap or something similar would be good for the game...
if you are all about personal goal and who cares about rankings why do you post on topics like this?
Cause day in day out the forums are filled with the same complaints, just think people need to get over themselves.
11/26/2015 08:29 AMPosted by Phlier
The ability to turn crafting mats in to legs.

2. The ability to re-roll legs.

I was a hoarder of mats, picked up everything, and I ran out of DBs quite quickly rolling for gear. I got a lot of good stuff, but still.

Casuals cannot roll gear as easily as you think due to the limited amount of DBs that drop.
Do you really find it fun to paragon level for 22 hours a day 95% of the season? Then at the end you have a few days where you do GRifts?

I really don't care if they change it or not. I would prefer them doing something but it doesn't really affect me directly. What does affect me more is if streamers stop playing because they just don't want to try and compete with bots.
Dont cap, just ban the botters.
I believe the cap is 10,000 paragon on consoles. Probably the same cap carries over to PC, 10K paragon should be plenty.
Actually, the complains started from players that arent casuals, but like to compete on leaderboards legit.

Right now, you can be the most skilled player on the game, have the most perfect gear and you still woundt be able to get rank 1 from a player that put sometime into the game and bots at same time.

In other words, the paragon system ruined the only competition aspect of the game, and a lot of players, that arent casuals, already left the game because of it. Just check, more and more bots on high ranks on leaderboards. What the point on keep playing if you dont have a chance to compete against people that have over 1000 paragon lvls then you ? (that is a huge dps diference)

I saw good players that plays d3 over 8 hours a day since ros release leave the game already on this season. Right now or you start to bot, or you just forget about leaderboard rankings ( high ranks )

Blizz dont do nothing about botters for over a year already, and now with the huge buff the botters got on the last patch, the bot epidemic went loose. If they fix the paragon ( put +1 in place of +5 after a certain paragon lvl per example ), the competition will be back around gear, skill and theorycrafting, and not about paragon like it is happening right now. So bots can bot all day long, i woulndt care less, i would gladly beat them on leaderboards. But as patch come and goes, more buffs the bots get ( gem aug recipe on the cube on next patch per example )

To finish, if the devs dont give a damn about fair play, why would i invest more time on this game ? I actually see no point to play the game anymore, sadly.

I love d3, and i play this since day 1. It is really sad that i saw the game i love became a boring grind xp game, with the devs giving a damn about fair play. If that is the game you like, to play mindless and boring speeds GRs all day long, and cheat to win, congrats, d3 is a game for you.

For sure the d3 right now is not a game for me.