Why so many complaints?

General Discussion
Hello Community,

I am writing here to address the massive amounts of complaints I see, specifically in the forums. The vast majority of them concern changes to abilities or skills that they find either make them useless, or ruin the game. I have to say, I'm a little confused.

I definitely understand some of the complaints, but I think they're disproportionate, and lack a wider point of view. In my mind, just because a certain item, skill, or build doesn't fit well with greater rift progression (around which most of the complaints seem to revolve) does not mean it has no place in the game at all.

Let's look at Fire Walkers. They're kind of fun, and sort of give you the molten affix. I found a pair on my wizard in her early paragons. Have you ever seen a wizard build using Fire Walkers? -- not to say one doesn't exist; I haven't looked that hard -- I had two pieces of Tal Rasha's, and no great boots, so I used Fire Walkers to drop that meteor. Did I keep them on once I developed my wizard a little more? No, but they worked for a couple days, and it was a good time.

Let's look at Faithful Memory. This two-handed sword has a couple guaranteed rolls, but no legendary affix. I still hope I find one because it looks awesome. I suggest that a legendary transmog is a useful thing.

Let's look at Spaulders of Zakara. I've seen it in one or two odd builds, but not often. I think this item is awesome. Maybe you're trying something new or super hard and you aren't really reliant on a shoulder slot, but don't want to pay an 80K repair bill (pocket change). This shoulder item is your answer.

Maybe I'm just less easily upset by changes.

What is your point of view?
12/22/2015 01:33 PMPosted by myce

one step forward, three steps back.
Keeping it short.

I don't think people are angry, I think people are upset. Because just like them, I too feel like diablo 3 could of been so so much more. I love the the game but it's potential versus reality is just simply, upsetting.
12/22/2015 01:36 PMPosted by SnapuSwipe
Keeping it short.
Thanks for that.

12/22/2015 01:36 PMPosted by SnapuSwipe
I too feel like diablo 3 could of been so so much more.
Maybe it could have been.
Could have.
The game is going on 4 years old so it is time to accept that D3 is not all that you wanted. After this much time, it should become clear that it never will. If it isn't clear, good luck complaining here on the complaint forums until it does become what you hoped it could have been. :)

Cheers!
tin foil hat time

maybe developers from rival companies troll the forum ?
The game offers a lot of interesting items and combinations.... but nobody use them, do you know why???
12/22/2015 01:36 PMPosted by Alukat

one step forward, three steps back.

That it in a nutshell. While most of the people here would say that the dev team has done some pretty good things with the game, a lot of the complaining revolves around the fact that every. single. good. thing. in. this. freaking. game. gets. p1$$#d. on. by. the. devs. themselves. The dev team is their own worst enemy. They ruin and break things that are awesome that don't fit in their myopic plans. They leave bad designs that need immediate attention ignored for months and years in favor of ok but ultimately unnecessary pet projects.

It is kind of sad when the two biggest problems that most people face when playing the game is game breaking lag and inadequate stash space. Dealing with those pesky hellspawn are second fiddle to things the players cannot hope to control themselves.

You will see the complaints go away once the game is fixed to a point where the focus actually turns to primarily gameplay, which is what a game is supposed to be about.
Let's look at Fire Walkers. They're kind of fun, and sort of give you the molten affix. I found a pair on my wizard in her early paragons. Have you ever seen a wizard build using Fire Walkers? -- not to say one doesn't exist; I haven't looked that hard -- I had two pieces of Tal Rasha's, and no great boots, so I used Fire Walkers to drop that meteor. Did I keep them on once I developed my wizard a little more? No, but they worked for a couple days, and it was a good time.

This is more or less a novelty item. Its damage becomes increasingly insignificant the higher up the GR level. May be good for giggles running around low health monsters and watching them burn to death but that's about it. This would otherwise be a good item if not for the fact that set items are 2000% more powerful shunting these boots into the "what's the point?" category.

Let's look at Faithful Memory. This two-handed sword has a couple guaranteed rolls, but no legendary affix. I still hope I find one because it looks awesome. I suggest that a legendary transmog is a useful thing.

You identified the exact problem - no legendary affix. It's just a stat stick waiting to be salvaged. At best, it is a temporary weapon for leveling up.

Looking good does nothing to make up for the fact that this sword is terrible.

Let's look at Spaulders of Zakara. I've seen it in one or two odd builds, but not often. I think this item is awesome. Maybe you're trying something new or super hard and you aren't really reliant on a shoulder slot, but don't want to pay an 80K repair bill (pocket change). This shoulder item is your answer.

80k repair bill is small change considering players can easily pickup gold in the millions within minutes.

OP, the 3 items you selected is indicative of why itemization in D3 is in such a piss poor state hence one of the reasons for so many complaints.
Hypersonic,
I acknowledged all those things. I'm saying I don't see them as problematic.
12/22/2015 02:18 PMPosted by myce
Hypersonic,
I acknowledged all those things. I'm saying I don't see them as problematic

I would agree with you....if the leveling process was the endgame; if it had replay value or it was somehow enjoyable to make new characters just for the sake of it. The issue is that levels 1-70 and to an extent 1-200 ish paragon are pretty unfun, static, and don't offer anything in the way of new or exciting once done once. Most people who play seasons plow through 1-70 asap and ditch the "non optimal" items almost immediately. Those fun items like fire walkers are useful for .001% of the endgame, then become instant cube food after that. That is simply terrible itemization - when only 1-2 items for any given slot are in any way competitive, you get stagnation and lack of diversity.
12/22/2015 02:18 PMPosted by myce
Hypersonic,
I acknowledged all those things. I'm saying I don't see them as problematic.

This game is supposed to be about itemization, where ideally the player can pick up any item and run with it. What is the player supposed to do with the kinds of items above (other than for salvaging, transmog and the cube) if they do not perform their primary function adequately or provide the player with a useful benefit? That's a problem.

If they are supposed to be "legendary", they sure as hell do not live up to that definition. That's another problem.
tldr

OP doesn't agree with the complaints going around in this forum, says he is happy with no-affix legs because 'the sword looks good'.

Nuff said.
Hello Community,

I am writing here to address the massive amounts of complaints I see,

(...)

1) That tone... I would like to see devs using it more often on this forums/reddit. Not really curious about who you are to adress forums complains, nor asking it, just pointing out it feels weird... Butyou are free to do that, (I guess)...

2) I believe the rants are useful for blizzard's cm to monitor feedback, so the forum rage doesn't affect me and I also belive that CMs can filter the rants and extract valuable feedback from them. And, while you can use items for a couple hours, it feels like a waste of design space, so many cool items not viable for more than a couple hours.

If I was a game dev, I would rather have frustrated players venting out frustrations and making elaborated "I quit" stories that other forum users couldn't care less about; instead of everyone silently leaving to plat Fallout 4/Witcher 3 or whatever...
This is more or less a novelty item. Its damage becomes increasingly insignificant the higher up the GR level. May be good for giggles running around low health monsters and watching them burn to death but that's about it. This would otherwise be a good item if not for the fact that set items are 2000% more powerful shunting these boots into the "what's the point?" category.

This is it in a nutshell. Too many pointless-worthless-unused novelty items and skills, not enough actually usable items or skills. You could make a list as long as this page of items that no one has ever used or currently uses, sets that no one ever uses, skills that nobody has ever used, passive skills that are never used, attacks that are never used, etc etc.
While you can't divorce affixes from compatible skill use entirely, there are still some out there that pretty obviously need help to become more than, as alluded, novelty items.

Let's run with those Fire Walkers for a second. Pragmatically, gameplay encourages us to constantly push forward, especially in GRs. The affix here leaves little molten pools behind us, rendering a large number of them useless, especially if you're one or two-shotting most prey. In terms of skill synergy, they probably seem most sensible with skills like Whirlwind, Tempest Rush, and Strafe. Yet, come late game, these boots don't see life. Why?

A simple solution could be to simply jack up the damage of the pools, but to what level? This doesn't really address the flaws of implementation, though, or encourage use with skills beyond those I mentioned earlier. So, what do we do? We could add a secondary effect like standing still in the same spot for 3 seconds creates a molten explosion (like elite deaths) that deals like 30,000% weapon damage split among enemies within 15 yards. This could give the item some added tactical thought and increasing its synergy with stationary channels like Rapid Fire, Disintegrate, Firebats, and so on. No, it's not a perfect solution, but in the end, the boots would be better off.

A similar approach can be applied to pretty much any legendary that doesn't fit snugly into the 6-piece sets, otherwise. Spaulders of Zakura? Pft, repair cost savings. How about adding, "When not taking damage after 10 seconds, the next hit you receive is nullified." Suddenly this becomes very appealing for ranged classes as a counter to stuff like Jailer or Thunderstorm. Imagination is the limit, really. "MAKE THE NUMBERS BIGGER!" only goes so far.
While your ideas are fun and kind of original, it's basically just a band-aid to cover the root of the problem. Which is, as many people have already touched on, there's a lot of useless, basically underpowered", "what's the point", etc items.

Why is this though? It's because of the overpowered set items. Simple as that.
And don't start with the "don't nerf what's good buff what's bad" bs, because that chicken doesn't fly here. Even though theoretically it would be fine for me if they would buff everything, it seems like they would break a lot of good and fun stuff that's in the game now, but just don't get used cause it doesn't fit in the endgame. And it's seem like A LOT more work to the real solution:

Back on point: imagine a D3 world without set items? No greens for anyone. Image people finding all kinds of legendaries, trying to combine them, try them out with different skills. Image people actually being stupid enough to try T6+!! The brave souls may they RIP. Image FINALLY finding that last legendary you needed to complete your own, well thought of, original, adapted to the loot you found during your adventures, build. Imagine NO BiS FOR ANY SLOT!

TLDR: So what I'm trying to say, remove all set items, fix the game GG D3 is fun again. t10 is impossible, all is as it's supposed to be.

After they remove all greens, they can add some again, some fun cool looking things, which aren't very strong (but not weak nessecarilly),just nothing like +10000% dmg.

SIMPLE AS THAT
go use them if they are not a optimized build,,,, well there ya go
Here's the issue for me with this game, sets removes any diversity because sets give a 2000% damage gap between non and set. This means you might have some fun playing with the full set, after a few days then it becomes a snooze fest. Reason being you are playing the exact same skills day in and day out without any alteration in skills and passives. You can't switch skills because the set builds are so myopic that any change in skills will effectively ruin the build, i.e lack of synergy. Devs are effectively saying sandboxing out, builds on rails in, with sets.

LoN was towards a right direction, although it was still effectively a set. But they nerfed, so now it only works for 1 or 2 classes. There itself revealed the lack of balance between classes, which some of us realised long ago in D3V.

If you are the type who likes to be forced fed builds, then you will have no issues about diversity. I prefer to fiddle and mix and match around skills, but I can't unless I stick to T7 and below, because the game revolves around sets and anything close to end game requires a set. There is no denying that there will always be 1 best build, but the best should not be so far ahead that the second best build is 5-10 GR back.

SC Monk was a good example of player ingenuity but look what has happened to it, it was nerfed to the ground because it was not intended.
12/22/2015 05:19 PMPosted by jtcdgroup
SC Monk was a good example of player ingenuity but look what has happened to it, it was nerfed to the ground because it was not intended.

That, right there is sad.
Over powered green items have wrecked this game.
People on these forums are good at one thing complaining, they come with no feedback or ideas, just endless posts about complaints about the most silliest of things. Some even try to say they are coders and game designers then selves or work on servers when they don't understand the point of a roll back.

Funny thing is when people do some up with ideas, good or bad does not matter, the same people come in and complain about the idea and say how there idea is so much better, funny part is they have no idea.

I love saying this because people know it is true but hate it any ways, D3 is not the problem it is the community.