why do people love to hate D3?

Games & Technology
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
12/13/2015 11:26 AMPosted by DeadRu
12/13/2015 09:39 AMPosted by clueso
Diablo had (and still has) the potential to be the best ARPG out there, but the devs f*cked it up.

1) the itemization is bad:
-super OP sets funnel everyone into the same premade builds
-uncreatively designed legendaries with uninspired special affixes which only act as extensions of 6 piece sets

2) the paragon system is a mess

3) the story is stupid

4) Blizzard does not care about bots

As you can see, there are many reasons to complain.

lol in D2 all the end game high level players ran a few class's but almost to a one had the same builds.

Where the f*ck am I glorifying D2?
I never mentioned D2!

You have to realize that not everyone who criticizes D3 whats that it turns into Diablo 2...
Diablo 2 had many flaws and people were hoping that D3 would make it better.
12/13/2015 05:23 AMPosted by Kyzonu
so many topics talking about how grim dawn, POE and lost ark are much better... why don't they just shut up and go play those games?
I would worry if people didn't complain. As that would mean they no longer care. I played POE and it's a good game but too hardcore for me. As for grim dawn never played that game yet.
12/13/2015 08:31 AMPosted by Blashyrkh
Don't get me wrong, I like D3. It's still a good game on it's own terms, but it's an awful, AWFUL Diablo game, if you know what I mean.

Actually I don't know what you mean.

If I posted 6k times in these forums, I would think that I would really like D3. But I don't like it that much, so I only have 1k posts.

What's your excuse?
I'd be more happy if they brought back skill augmentation, to make less useful skills be viable. Right now the best set for each class dictates what everyone uses.

I posted some ideas about it earlier.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20200510051
so many topics talking about how grim dawn, POE and lost ark are much better... why don't they just shut up and go play those games?

People love to hate D3 because it's not D2.5. It's actually a new game. And there's a selection of people who REALLY didn't want a new game, they just wanted an upskinned d2.
12/13/2015 12:43 PMPosted by dogma420
Don't get me wrong, I like D3. It's still a good game on it's own terms, but it's an awful, AWFUL Diablo game, if you know what I mean.

If I posted 6k times in these forums, I would think that I would really like D3. But I don't like it that much, so I only have 1k posts.

What's your excuse?

Not directed at me, but...
I can still answer the question:

1: Love for the game world and characters, and the game series

2: I like Blizzard, and want their games to be the best they can be.

3: I want a *great* action roleplaying game to play
12/13/2015 01:01 PMPosted by Frostraven

What's your excuse?

lol, yet another poster that has bought a 2nd copy of D3 just for posting on the forums.

well done!
It seems that only the ones who say they hate this game have a high number of posts. The ones who like it don't post that much because they aren't complaining. When someone does come here to say something positive, they get hammered by the haters and their posts get reported foe no reason at all. That's what this community has come to........almost nothing but haters. However that doesn't mean that the game is unpopular or dying, just that the complainers are doing all the talking.
12/13/2015 01:03 PMPosted by dogma420
12/13/2015 01:01 PMPosted by Frostraven

lol, yet another poster that has bought a 2nd copy of D3 just for posting on the forums.

well done!

Sorry.
This is my one and only account.
I can play ROS on the PTR.

Because after over a decade of waiting for a promised sequel, Blizzard sold out while it was in development, and the ability to make this sequel was lost. Instead of trying again or calling it a different game, they still called it Diablo 3. To put it simply, the D3 haters feel as though they've been lied to. They want that true sequel that will never be made, not some other franchise's knockoff. Irrational? Maybe...but that's what emotions are, usually.

What's your excuse?

Diablo is an ARPG. D3 is not. ARPGs are games that thrive on flexibility and meaningful character building. This is why they can get away with relatively small amounts of content. The idea is to face the content in many different ways. D3's demonstrably misguided and incompatible set item meta inherently contradicts this principle.

Not only do those sets destroy diversity, but even within the closed set item niche, the designers have consistently failed at balancing them properly. Honestly, I don't believe at all they want diversity. For them, it's all about cycling through massively overpowered setups, not about designing a compelling toolset that actually promotes experimentation. They're actually scared of such a thing. After all, they're notorious for knee-jerk reacting to anything not conforming to their tunnel-visioned perspective, usually using the "bug" card. See what Wyatt said about LoN's nerf? They're "happy" about it being substantially weaker. They simply don't give a damn.

As I said before, I don't dislike D3 entirely. I actually find it to be a mildly entertaining game to jump in from time to time. It's just disappointing it's not nearly as engaging as properly designed ARPGs. After all, wasn't it Don Vu who said it;'s a game you'd play for a bit before going back to playing WoW? Kinda hard to take seriously a guy who deliberately belittles the product he's working on in such a shameless way, you know? I mean, I'd wager any decent game designer out there would strive for his game to be actively played for as long as possible. They do it for WoW, don't they? Kinda makes you wonder about their motivations, tbh.

Oh, and pay no mind to my post count. There's much of that in WoW and SC forums, so just forget about it. That's merely a lame red herring, so I wouldn't even suggest going there if you want to be taken seriously
OP a lot of the posts advertising other games are just that: advertising. They are paid commercials.
Criticizing isn't the same as hating. There are legitimate complains about stupid design decisions that go through despite the community's collective backlash. We criticize it because it sucks to see the game tarnished by people who don't understand the essence of a Diablo game.

Those games get a lot of things right, even though they have their fair share of flaws as well. No game is perfect, but it's disheartening to see other games resemble Diablo more than the official sequel to it.

Don't get me wrong, I like D3. It's still a good game on it's own terms, but it's an awful, AWFUL Diablo game, if you know what I mean. Being funneled into a couple of massively overpowered FOTM builds season after season isn't a great description for what is supposed to be an ARPG. This genre is about flexibility and meaningful character build exploration, not about going the way the so-called "designers" forces us to. Their current set design might as well be the antithesis of everything an ARPG is supposed to be, and they still seem to be completely oblivious about it.

The incredibly shallow gameplay such an awfully streamlined design layout leads to is the reason why the game becomes a ghost town 2 weeks into the season. Once you complete your FOTM setup, the game becomes substantially less appealing, precisely because trying something different only leads to frustration, since nothing can compete with these stupid sets. LoN could be an excellent way to deal with this problem, but it seems they're not interested in meaningful diversity at all. It's sad, because it's going to be a wasted opportunity if all they want is for it to be just T10 capable. We either use the sets they design, or be gimped into nothingness, simply because in their excessive arrogance, they can't fathom a game where players themselves decide how they want to conquer the game's challenges. This is why their sets are 2000%+ stronger than everything else.

This is why I criticize it, and will continue to do so till they get it. If it hurts your feelings, you can follow your own advice and look away. If you're happy with the status quo, please continue to enjoy the game, but also understand not everyone is as complacent as you seem to be with what is demonstrably a mediocre ARPG, assuming it's even an ARPG just for the sake of argument, that is.

12/13/2015 07:13 AMPosted by DeadRu
Many played D2 and still do for the $$$ they made/ make. When Blizzard releases BoA and modified trade many quit. Many still stick around to troll and hate, occasionally they make lame posts trying to get trade back.

I played D2 for years, and never resourced to third party sites. It doesn't take a genius to understand why D3 can't support trade, though. However, it has nothing to do with real cash, but with the way the game was designed to make loot more important than it needed to be and completely eliminating meaningful player-driven progression. Third party websites only accentuate the problem, but they're not the problem itself.

It is very simple, don't like the game don't play it.
Then others wanted D3 to be a remade D2. The problem is the D2 community had turned D2 ibto a cesspool that it could not justify an xpac much less a basis for D3.

Not remade, built upon. Very different concepts. D2 had a good balance of player-driven progression and RNG-based progression. D3 has no such balance, and everything is just littered by an obscenely excessive abuse of RNG to create the illusion of longevity. Too bad it doesn't really work that well when you realize only a handful of sets are able to actually make a number where it matters.

D3 has eclipsed D2 in every way. Many miss the easy D2 game play and so are frustrated with D3. The miss the max two skills and then max the synergies listed in the skill tooltip. At tha point regardless of what you made you could make it far enough to be carried and leeced the botted hammerdin baal runs. They mistook this for diversity while in reality D2 was homogenized to the [point class's and builds made little difference. The mobs were pretty much simply cannon fodder with the exceptional immune.

Easy gameplay? What the hell are the sets the designers make? Why on earth are you using sets on YOUR characters? I mean, you're such a creative fellow that you can make anything work, right? Why the hell are you using sets? That's right, because that's what the design team spoon-fed you and the only course of action that can actually make your character feel powerful. In contrast, any mix of legendaries will barely reach 10% of their power, and that's being extremely lucky with good rolls.

If all you remember from D2 was Baal runs and cookie cutter builds, it says quite a lot about your "experience" (or lack thereof) with the game. D3 could have a lot of diversity as well, if these designers weren't so obsessed with controlling the meta game through a handful of massively overpowered sets that trivialize the remaining 90% of the loot pool. LoN sounded good when they first announced it, but I'm starting to loose hope after seeing they're "happy" with it being substantially weaker compared to those sets.

in D3 has refused to follow that model. This is why people are mad. We see endless posts about removing vortex, frozen orb, jailer and other affixs because they can't deal with them..

Not removed, tuned for fair gameplay. It might seem like nothing when you're running GR30s with your garbage characters, but it was incredibly frustrating to push your highest level when some jailer dude could just 1shot you before you even knew he was there.

Compare this with games famous for their difficulty. Dark Souls is the easiest comparison by far. The game's notoriously difficult, but you'll never see cheap garbage like those offscreen 1shots jailer used to cause. The game's actually masterfully balanced, and is pretty damn hard at times. That's the kind of difficulty we want, not just the laughably lazy number bloating these uninspired designers seem to be so proud of for some stupid reason. Learn the difference. Even a deluded fanboy like yourself should be able to understand this.

In all honesty Blizzard owes this community nothing now. The d2 servers are stillup and supported. D3 is here to be played or ignored as you wish. D3 is a game Blizzard's game and Blizzard reserves the right to do whatever they feel needs to be done wither the community likes it or not.

And the community reserves the right to criticize it for being conducted in a direction that's completely opposite of what properly designed ARPGs represent. Sounds fair, right? Don't like criticizm? You're welcome to look away and enjoy the streamlined game you've been allegedly enjoying, despite barely playing it.

This toxic pool is not representative of the 30m people that purchased the game. The fact is many play the game and never even see the forum. Meanwhile the haters go out of their way to hate and troll against the game developers. they are simply a vocal minority. If everyone in this forum quit today it would not even be a big enough blip to be noticed.

And you think your flamboyant fanboyism represents the 30m? There's a lot of invisible merchandise I'd like to sell you, if that's the case. Of course there will be people enjoying it. That doesn't mean criticism is off place. After all, many of us criticize it because we love Diablo, and want it to be the best game it can possibly be. Won't happen under the current "direction", im afraid.

really to sum it up the haters will always hate 30m copies sold even a very small amount of those appears to be a large amount.

Out of those 30m, how many purchased RoS? How many still play? I challenge you to bring those numbers forward, DeadTroll. Since you're such a statistics guru, how about you substantiate your claims with actual evidence? Show us critics how wrong we really are, please. I'd be delighted to acknowledge your "facts" if they're actually demonstrated to be true.

A 1000% correct.

And a very good rebuke of Deadru.
. This is my go-to example of D1 theme vs D3 theme: Compare the ambient sounds of D1 cathedral vs the ambient sounds of Westmarch Heights in D3. Babies crying in the dark vs...Stratholme with hokey ghost-moans.
Many played D2 and still do for the $$$ they made/ make. When Blizzard releases BoA and modified trade many quit. Many still stick around to troll and hate, occasionally they make lame posts trying to get trade back.

It is very simple, don't like the game don't play it.
Then others wanted D3 to be a remade D2. The problem is the D2 community had turned D2 ibto a cesspool that it could not justify an xpac much less a basis for D3.

D3 has eclipsed D2 in every way. Many miss the easy D2 game play and so are frustrated with D3. The miss the max two skills and then max the synergies listed in the skill tooltip. At tha point regardless of what you made you could make it far enough to be carried and leeced the botted hammerdin baal runs. They mistook this for diversity while in reality D2 was homogenized to the [point class's and builds made little difference. The mobs were pretty much simply cannon fodder with the exceptional immune.

in D3 has refused to follow that model. This is why people are mad. We see endless posts about removing vortex, frozen orb, jailer and other affixs because they can't deal with them..

In all honesty Blizzard owes this community nothing now. The d2 servers are stillup and supported. D3 is here to be played or ignored as you wish. D3 is a game Blizzard's game and Blizzard reserves the right to do whatever they feel needs to be done wither the community likes it or not.
This toxic pool is not representative of the 30m people that purchased the game. The fact is many play the game and never even see the forum. Meanwhile the haters go out of their way to hate and troll against the game developers. they are simply a vocal minority. If everyone in this forum quit today it would not even be a big enough blip to be noticed.

After all one person can make a dozen I quit posts, several my friends quit post ect but it is still one person.

really to sum it up the haters will always hate 30m copies sold even a very small amount of those appears to be a large amount.

Fair opinion, but regarding your point on the afixs in this game. its not about can or cant handle just drop difficult if need to however;

*Timer on arcane sentry and 50% of the time after the monster is dead you cannot not see this due to fixed camera angle/walls/rocks etc and walked into it no fun at all.

*Fear or Nightmarish in mid fight with elite group will only causing frustration and i cursed the dev everytime. its not fun or walk away saying wow that was a fun fight

* Act5 the marsh why the need to makes those red pool high poison damage when elite can cast all other afixes to cover them up in a fight and they spawn random too

* Ghost type ememy that can damage from behind a wall or 100 yards away and you cant attack them (heard they are fixing this tho)

I like D3 and can handle these but its caused frustration and so annoying instead of having fun playing the game.

imo its seems as if the devs put them there because they could not make it better
12/13/2015 01:03 PMPosted by Rainmaker
It seems that only the ones who say they hate this game have a high number of posts. The ones who like it don't post that much because they aren't complaining. When someone does come here to say something positive, they get hammered by the haters and their posts get reported foe no reason at all. That's what this community has come to........almost nothing but haters. However that doesn't mean that the game is unpopular or dying, just that the complainers are doing all the talking.

I always get a good chuckle when I see the ignorance of the fanboys that try and use post counts to justify their viewpoints.

When are you ignorant fanboys going to learn that the post counts on these forums are cumulative for all Blizzard games?

Some people play more than just one game. Silly fanboys.
im 100% agree with Blashyrkh said, perfect and sublime on explain the true core problem of D3, in the meantime im really enjoy POE, i play both game since beta, from february 2012 and i must say POE really kick !@# to D3 every month... the POE DEV are really some fukking genius... well while u keep arguin how much suck this D3 i go play and enjoy POE. i belive 2016 will be the end of this game. D3 is gone and im sry to say it!!! farewell blizzard
The same reason people knock on doors and tell people about Jesus?