We need a complete overhaul for Season 6

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Highly Rated
Otherwise Season 5 could very well be the last season for many. There are so many other core issues with Seasons that I didn't even have time to go into the rewards aspect:

1. There is no difference in content between Season (S) and Non-Season (NS)
Why is the content completely identical between S and NS? I'm not even asking for Seasonal exclusive content here. You have created all of this content and have been given the opportunity to start completely fresh on the gameplay and tuning with Seasons, why not use it? Why not adjust experience rates, exp to level, damage done, affixes, bonus events, etc. for Seasons to perfect the pace and gameplay? People are looking for some sort of unique experience with Seasons, and it doesn't have to involve creating exclusive content.

2. There is no clear vision for Seasons
Seasons are just a mesh of all the current features in the game. There does not seem to be a clear vision or direction. What is the point of Seasons? What are the goals and objectives? Specifically:
i) What is the role of leveling 1-70 in Seasons? How important is the leveling process in Seasons? Should it take only a few hours? A few days? A week? Two weeks?
ii) What do you expect the average player to be doing over the course of a 90 day Season? At the moment, day 1 is get to 70 and get your 6 pc tier. And with that 6 pc, it won't take long to get a full set of gear, and all that's left is ancients and greater rifts. Do you think that this is a sustainable model going forward?
iii) What is the role of Paragon Levels? This applies to both Seasons and NS.

3. Difficulties: make them relevant or remove them
We now have 14 official difficulty modes, yet they all become irrelevant in less than a week's of gameplay. And on Seasonal no less. What a complete waste of development resources tuning these new difficulties when they become obsolete so quickly. Either numbers in the entire game need to be scaled WAY back down (reduced by at least 98%) to make these difficulties relevant again, or they simply need to be removed for another system.

4. This Season won't last 3 months
For botters? Maybe. For others? I doubt it. Consumption of content has greatly accelerated from Season 4 to 5 as a direct result of the design decisions made by Blizzard. We are getting more experience, we are getting geared faster and clearing greater rifts faster. This game is about farming for gear, and when you give it away (especially tier with Haedrig's Gift) it loses value. When there's no value, people stop playing. Even just giving 1 complete set away accelerates the consumption of content way too fast:
i) You are now able to power level others much faster. Missed the launch and started 24 hours late? No worries, someone will power level you in T6 in 10 minutes. There is no point in spending hours leveling from 1-70 when someone can get you from 1-70 in 10 minutes the next day. This effectively removes what little content Seasons had.
ii) You are able to get other gear much faster. Free tier cuts out much of the farming process.
ii) It undermines the value of obtaining a tier piece.

5. GR200 next Season? Gear inflation is spiraling out of control
Maybe not next Season, but at this pace I wouldn't be surprised if it happens this year. Numbers are losing their meaning and becoming a joke, and at some point, people are not going to care that they've cleared GR60, 70, 100, 200, ... because of gear inflation. And when people stop caring, they stop playing.
Because of gear inflation, Ancient legendary items are the new legendaries. They are no longer something that the dedicated few hardcore players aim for to min/max, they have become mainstream goals for the general playerbase. What's next, Ancient Ancient legendaries? We need to take a step back and re-evalute.
Anyone else agree/disagree?
I agree with #1. I don't believe seasons should have exclusive content but I would agree they could have something like faster XP or damage or just anything else that would not make those that want to play NS feel forced to play seasons to get something.

#2 I agree there is no clear vision they are changing it as they go as they have no idea what to do with seasons. It's just not working for this game, in my opinion. Perhaps they could use seasons for story mode and each new season will bring some new zones/quests/anything to do. I really don't know what they can do and I'm definitely not paid to think for them!

The game is getting stale, it desperately needs an expansion badly. New classes, new followers, new acts, new abilities, new items.
Strongly disagree, you have missed the point of seasons completely. It's not about starting from scratch, it's about everybody starting from scratch together. An even playing field, a race to gear/level up between your friends and clan. The excitement of finding upgrades again. Seeing your GR record increasing as you get stronger and stronger. I love seasons and will continue to play them.

Its exactly what the community asked for.
01/28/2016 03:40 AMPosted by Kobrakai
Strongly disagree, you have missed the point of seasons completely. It's not about starting from scratch, it's about everybody starting from scratch together. An even playing field, a race to gear/level up between your friends and clan. The excitement of finding upgrades again. Seeing your GR record increasing as you get stronger and stronger. I love seasons and will continue to play them.

Agreed 100%. I love seasons
Path of Exile seasons !@#$ all over D3's.

The devs need to look to GGG for inspiration.
They need to change it completely.
All they're doing is making people restart for some average rewards.
01/28/2016 03:26 AMPosted by ercan
Anyone else agree/disagree?

i agree, but i agree with this in the whole game and not just season...

the reason why i don't play season is because i could be playing non season and keep playing that character as long as i want (not going through the boring grind from 1-70 and finding all the damn items again...)

the game is pretty boring if you take a step back. there's some good things in it but is far from enough to keep people entertained (or, well... far to casual)

last patch made most of the difficulty levels absolete.

we have to face it, D3 will never be a "great" game... just an avarage ARPG title lost in the crowd of better titles.

also, this game doesn't have any replay value. in NS you just keep grinding and increase numbers. in season you start from scratch and see how quick you can acomplish the same thing with a deadline.
If power creep was causing people to quit, don't you think 6 patches worth would have done so by now?

They already said they don't expect anyone (person that is) to play diablo every day for 3 months. It's what you screw around with when you're not playing WoW, remember? (the devs words, not mine).

To that end this season is the best yet - If you want to experience everything the game has to offer in terms of progression, you can do it in less than 2 weeks. If, for whatever reason, you want to play this game every day, you have legendary gems to level to augment your gear with, and teeny tiny fractional upgrades of stats on your ancient items to hunt for.

So I guess I agree with number one, but not much else.
01/28/2016 05:11 AMPosted by Bukkit
i agree, but i agree with this in the whole game and not just season...

Same here.

What I like about Seasons is.. the couple dozen of friends coming back to the game and finally I have someone to talk about the game and share the expierience etc.

But at this rate most of them will quit soon again. THen there is left soloing and playing with randoms.

My list of concerns:

#1 Leveling up .. 1-70 .. why do we do this at all when it is really not an experience at all. Ever since S1 I wondered why were you able to jump directly to Adventure Mode and gain much faster XP than in Story Mode.

1->70 is a one time thing in Seasons.. Imo it is not too much to ask for leveling up by doing the Story Mode and then hop into Adventure Mode.

Also the difficulty system is really piece of shait in 1-70 content. They need to remove it and have only 1 difficulty which would have small variation starting from Hard at Act1 and ending in Master in Act5 (with small modifications to monster dmg and HP).

This way we could have a 1->70 race at the beginning of each Season.. Everyone plays the same game.. Story Mode. Everyone has the same game difficulty.

Once you complete Story Mode you should be level 70 even if you skip some dungeons and optional areas on the way. Pretty much following the main story you will be about 70 in lets say start of the Battlefields area in Act5.

Then all you have left is killing Malthael and then the real Grind starts.

With a leaderboard there would be nice competition in the very beginning of a season.

They should remove the whole leveling process if the start of Season and leveling up 1-70 is like we have now.. either spend 4-5 hours in Adventure Mode doing the same as you will be doing at the end game.. or skip the first day and get Power Leveled in the next day..

#2 Power creep

How long will this continue? It is getting really boring.. our power doesn't really grow.. since we counter it by increasing the GR level.

It is like playing GR15 in Rare items only. Our items give us very little power.. so even GR15 feels hard.

Imo Ancient items were a mistake.. it is nothing more than scaled up version of the same thing you probably already found dozen of times.

After Ancient items they needed to bring T7-T10.. without it .. maybe T6 would have been just fine.. or just 1 extra Ultimate difficulty.

After Ancient items came along set items with crazy %dmg increases.. this should also be revised.

Maybe they should also find some use for Rare items or just drop veiled crystals instead of them. Maybe chace to drop ethereal version of Rare items which could rival the power of Legendaries with the correct rolls. It could have more affixes but more randomized so it would be harder to get .. but possibly more powerful than anything.

#3 Droprates
Imo they are way too high.. Go back to something like in RoS release. It doesn't matter if we are not running TX in the first week. Running GR30 in bad gear gives about the same experience than running GR60 in awesome gear.. it is only a matter of scaling stats vs monster stats.

#4 Paragon levels
Boring boring boring..

There is no end goal to aim.. they are infinite. Also 1 level up comes too quickly .. they should remove 1 zero from the levels.. like plvl 100 would be around the same as plvl1000 .. but each level would take longer to achieve and would reward 10x amount of points..
01/28/2016 03:40 AMPosted by Kobrakai

That's about 2 weeks of fun right there, seasons go for 3 months so what are you supposed to do for the other 10 weeks?

It takes bugger all time to XP, gear and do high grifts these days. My season character can already do 60+ grifts and I've hardly played him. You are given the gear you need just by leveling up and killing a couple easy bosses.
I've already slowed down my playing.
Hit a bit of a wall on my Crusader (grift 67) and couldn't be bothered min-maxing any further to get higher as I don't really see the point.

I really only played Seasons to get my Stash tab anyway.
When the game was first released there was a very defined goal, which was to beat inferno. This would obviously keep people busy for a long time. People complained it was too hard, which it was, but still possible to beat.

Now what would the goal be for seasons? Another crazy hard campaign that people can try to beat? Maybe a campaign with GR 120 damage, but only GR 50 HP? This would keep people preoccupied to try to beat, while still doing their normal GR's and rifts. It also would make meta builds less popular, and strategy and kiting would be the new thing. This was something that was unpopular back in the day, but that was when loot was restricted to only act 3 inferno.

I don't know, this is the only thing I can think of.

As far as drop rates are concerned, yes they are high, but nerfing them wouldn't boil over too well. And of course a number crunch is needed.
Gear inflation is needed. If someone takes a vacation from Diablo 3 for a season or two, comes back and sees that even with new gear/gems/skill changes they really cant progress at all, then they will immediately go on vacation again (I know I would). Its the nature of action RPGs to scale crazily at max levels.

In regards to seasons, there should be 0 incentive to do it. I hate being forced to do it for the cosmetic items as it is. Seasons should only be there for people who enjoy that style of gameplay eg Diablo 2 style. If you don't like it, then you won't feel forced to play it because there would be no rewards aside from e-peen stroking.
Most people main one class and at least with seasonal you get the joy of starting a new class (learning them) and potentially trying a new build as they add/tweak new legendaries/sets.
There are 3 points to seasons:

1. Releveling and gearing. How people enjoy NS is beyond me all you guys do is farm paragon and bang your heads against a wall gr fishing while hoping youll get the exact same ancients you already have but with a tiny bit more stats on them.

2. Rewards. I get stash space is a hot topic but theres other threads for that.

3. Season Journey. Not sure how no one mentioned this but to me its the main point of seasons. A bunch of challenges to work through and far more interesting than spending countless hours trying to get 1 gr level higher.
However i would like to see more engaging and challenging stuff in it. For example doing a gr with no set items was a good idea.. but gr 45 was too easy. Perhaps just add more levels to season journey and make it more chalenging (but dont move stash space higher or NS will have a meltdown).
This is the first season that nearly my entire friends list has tapped out so quickly, or, even worse, not played at all. I'm getting closer to tapping out as well. This season is starting to turn into a pointless paragon grind, as it always does. But never has it been so soon into the season.

LoN really had my interest at the start of the PTR and I was excited to come up with all sorts of crazy builds. But nope. This marks the 5th season of Setablo, paragon grinding, and weird group metas.
01/17/2016 04:40 PMPosted by ercan

5. GR200 next Season? Gear inflation is spiraling out of control
Maybe not next Season, but at this pace I wouldn't be surprised if it happens this year. Numbers are losing their meaning and becoming a joke, and at some point, people are not going to care that they've cleared GR60, 70, 100, 200, ... because of gear inflation. And when people stop caring, they stop playing.
Because of gear inflation, Ancient legendary items are the new legendaries. They are no longer something that the dedicated few hardcore players aim for to min/max, they have become mainstream goals for the general playerbase. What's next, Ancient Ancient legendaries? We need to take a step back and re-evalute.

I quoted this part, but actually I'm referencing the post in ist entirety.

I think you failed to grasp the entire point of the design philosophy behind this game. This game is not bad because the developers are incompetent (well the original game was), it is bad because it is deliberately made so. Every single design decision in Reaper of Souls has been a step into the same direction, despite many (and I mean MANY) posters warning that it would be bad for the longevity of the game. Still they proceeded. Why? Maybe because that's secretly their goal? Could be. After all they don't want to keep those servers up forever.

The real truth of the matter however is that this game is custom-tailored towards a mass audience with the attention span of a fruit fly. They won't care how long a season is as long as they're handed their guaranteed set as a cheap giveaway. That's all there is to it.

I mean, just look at the article where they gloat what a great job they did trunctating the damage numbers, like it was rocket science or something despite any middle school child being able to do the same. It was there that the horrible truth struck me. Just read what it is written there, because this article dramatically highlights their true design goals. They don't give a damn about mathematical conventions or such aspiring things. They quite clearly say that they went for whatever "looked the coolest". They openly admit that in cases where two different notations conveyed the same information, they opted for the longer form because it "feels more satisfying". Way to "trunctate" the numbers Blizzard while still keeping them artificially inflated! And on top of that they felt that the new system needed to be especially flashy and colorful, constantly torturing your eyes with disco lights.

So there you have it. The entire point of this game is that it is aimed at people who are easily impressed, by big, colorful floating numbers and crazy power creep. And if you dig back into the Information they gave before launch and after that, you'll see that this has always been the case. Diablo III is analogous to a cheap Hollywood action movie,all violence, explosions and over the top silliness and with next to nonexistent plot or depth to it. Sure it will please some folks, but if you're looking for something remotely sophisticated this is the wrong game. It's a shame really because Blizzard used to stand for top notch gaming; it's painful to see them fall from grace so hard. Those people who are at the moment desperetaly calling for Diablo 4 fail to see that it would be just more of the same.
Seasson exclusive gear!!! Bring it back!
01/29/2016 01:08 AMPosted by iSimeon
Seasson exclusive gear!!! Bring it back!

Why? you will still have people maxed out in a week. Most people have all the items they need its just paragon farming now.

I think the idea of this thread is to discuss ways to give seasons a purpose. Something to do.