WoL Struggling In 64+ Solo Grift

Monk
Hey there guys. I am currenty stuck in 63/64 solo grift as WoL monk. Im not dying or procing my NDE but I am always running out of time in these grifts. Am I suppose to run from elite to elite? I feel like I would highly die by doing so unless there is a trick to it. Is there any game play footage of how to clear 65+ grifts as WoL monk?
i could go up to 67 with full ancient in my build on PTR without any of the cubed lvl 50+ gems
right now i still need 3 more ancients and im at 64 as well (although i choose not to go higher becuase it isnt fun rather than because i cant
but i dont really choose to go above 60 that often.
it is a VERY fun VERY fast build to use in under 60.
i can do speed GR in under 2 min solo 45 and below about 75% of the time given i don't get a bad map.

the build really isnt for pushing higher girfts imo.. sure it can easily push to 60 and 65 easily enough but i dont think your going to reach 70 without using the new cube recipe a few times. and it wont be very rewarding. its MUCH more fun to play at T10
I've also been playing WoL in greaters and currently I've managed up to 66, I was close on 67 and I think I could get it with a better map but I've put my solo pushing on hold until I get an ancient Torch. Gear wise the only critiques I have would be to roll your shoulders to area damage instead of cdr, also by your profile it appears that both your helm and weapon haven't been rerolled? If you can try to get crit on your helm, personally I value it over a socket even although ideally both would be preferred, and get area damage on your weapon. I think the ideal weapon rolls would be weapon damage, dex, vit, area damage, socket(with gift). Area damage is just really strong now and the more you can get the better. You don't have gems in on your profile so I'm assuming you are using stricken, trapped, and zei's but if you use one or more defensive gems that could be whats hurting your damage output.

As far as actual gameplay this is certainly a very tricky build to play. As I'm sure you've found you can't just run through all the enemies and stop to kill elites or when there is a dense enough group of whites. So you have to try and balance the need to kill off or avoid anything coming up to hit you in melee range with the need to keep pushing through the rift and not waste time killing one or two mobs at a time. Often times I will run ahead through a bunch of mobs and then dash back to a cleared out area to kill them as they run towards me, or if there aren't too many mobs in the area I ran through I'll just keep moving on through the rift.
01/23/2016 10:14 AMPosted by Arrethyn
As far as actual gameplay this is certainly a very tricky build to play. As I'm sure you've found you can't just run through all the enemies and stop to kill elites or when there is a dense enough group of whites. So you have to try and balance the need to kill off or avoid anything coming up to hit you in melee range with the need to keep pushing through the rift and not waste time killing one or two mobs at a time. Often times I will run ahead through a bunch of mobs and then dash back to a cleared out area to kill them as they run towards me, or if there aren't too many mobs in the area I ran through I'll just keep moving on through the rift.

This^^

Monkey Kings Garb is fine when playing easy content and WoL wrecks the screen. However as soon as it gets harder mobs live longer and certain mob types end up on top of you regularly making sweeping wind drop. Likewise you can't skip low density cos those low density monsters will end up standing in your sweeping wind. Choke points such as doors etc are a pain too as you cant go into the pack or again you will loose sweeping wind.

The only solution is to aim for a LoN version of the build to take sweeping wind out of the equation so you arent punished for trying to press ahead. Note, LoN should cause more damage due to the extra elemental damage you get with that gear setup.

Good Luck
LoN isn't actually ahead in pure damage output. I did a comparison in d3planner of my current setup(with just my wep changed to be ancient for a closer comparison) against LoN with all ancient and all perfect rolls and LoN came out 20% ahead. When I changed my own paperdoll to be all ancient with perfect rolls the difference shrunk to be 6%. However this doesn't consider that with LoN you can't use both unity and convention, you have to pick one. with convention my current setup out damages LoN.

However that's purely theoretical max damage, I think with decent enough ancient gear Lon will outperform sunwuko due to the above points about not needing to worry about sweeping wind dropping off.
01/23/2016 06:05 PMPosted by Arrethyn
LoN isn't actually ahead in pure damage output. I did a comparison in d3planner of my current setup(with just my wep changed to be ancient for a closer comparison) against LoN with all ancient and all perfect rolls and LoN came out 20% ahead. When I changed my own paperdoll to be all ancient with perfect rolls the difference shrunk to be 6%. However this doesn't consider that with LoN you can't use both unity and convention, you have to pick one. with convention my current setup out damages LoN.

However that's purely theoretical max damage, I think with decent enough ancient gear Lon will outperform sunwuko due to the above points about not needing to worry about sweeping wind dropping off.

Skipping unity really seems like the obvious choice with LoN. When the class is mostly ranged and gameplay is practically like a pre-RoS cluster arrow DH, you really shouldn't need all that much survival gear.

I never actually tried the new SWK set since I went innas EP on seasons (after playing wizard first), but i did try LoN on the PTR. I was able to clear up to 70 with only 6 ancients using LoN bells.

On another note, pretty sure bells with Innas actually works as well, at least to mid 70s.
I'm currently able to do 73 grift with my best of 10.23, so i can say that WoL build is viable. I have around 780 pp which is not much for noseason charecter.
This being said the only thing i can advise you is to find good gear mainly pintos pride with close to 150% damage multiplier on WoL and good weapons. I play with 2 onehandes.
I think my issue with SWK WoL is just that I can't tank any mobs due to SW mechanics so I end up needing to stop to kill 1-2 mobs which really hinders my speed, but I don't really have a full LoN setup yet.