Barrier Blades?
Magic Weapon - Deflection
Diamond Skin - is this a shield or DR?

Not sure if boosted by Ashnagars
St. Archew's Gage
Molton Wilderbest (+Boots of Disregard)

Does DR effect shields?
Yes

Does damage to shields count in Galvanizing Ward?
Wizard shields appear not to (ie, allow you to re-set your shield via galvanzing ward.)

Does damage to shields count re- Prides Fall?
Yet to test.

If wizard shields and none wizard specific shields are a separate group, do above effects apply or not apply depending on which shield has been procced?
Yet to test

Anything I'm missing?
Mate shields are some crazy arcane mystery that no one has figured out. They are like a wave-particle duality, totally crazy and out there whacko codeing yo.

Then again... i am a casual that has not looked into any of this at all and abjectly refute useing shields out of pure ignorance believeing that they still dont' exist as a 'thing' lol.

But they are bloody hard to monitor what with the way you have to hover over your health to see them and junk like that. How can you track anything they do lol.
01/19/2016 03:52 AMPosted by wage
Does damage to shields count re- Prides Fall?
Yet to test.

No. Ditto for Krelm's.

01/19/2016 03:52 AMPosted by wage
Does damage to shields count in Galvanizing Ward?
Wizard shields appear not to (ie, allow you to re-set your shield via galvanzing ward.)

I originally didn't think it did. But I was doing a boss achievement last night and damage to my shield was clearly preventing Galvanizing Ward from refreshing. Which is odd, because it is worded as 'take damage', and the other skills/items that say that don't count hitting a shield as taking damage.
01/19/2016 04:07 AMPosted by Amos
Mate shields are some crazy arcane mystery that no one has figured out. They are like a wave-particle duality, totally crazy and out there whacko codeing yo.

I wrote out a test procedure if anyone wanted to test shield priority a bit back....didn't really wanna test it myself though. Quoted below in case anyone wants to take the plunge:

12/09/2015 07:05 PMPosted by BDF
12/09/2015 05:11 PMPosted by Gendehar
Why does everything have to be so complicated. Not only that but how on earth would one test for shield consumption priority?

Stack two shields with a different remaining duration
Take some mount of damage less than the size of both together

A. If the size of your shield doesn't change when you would've expected the shorter duration shield to expire then it was consumed first.

B. If your shield size goes down by some number less than the full amount of the shorter duration shield when you'd expect the shorter duration shield to expire, then the shorter duration shield took damage first.

C. If your shield size goes down by an amount equal to the size of the shorter duration shield when that one is set to expire, then the longer duration shield was took damage first.

You can use similar logic for shields with known refresh times like gizzard or galvanizing. If your shield size doesn't go up when they're expected to refresh then they didn't take damage and whatever other shield you had active at the time did.

As for the question of whether or not absorbing damage with a shield still counts as taking damage for things like Galvinizing ward refresh or Pride's Fall I do not know. I do know however that absorbed damage still counts towards triggering Halo of Arlyse.

Other questions about whether the bracers affect the shield at all are simply conducted, but I've never done it myself since launch.

Force Armor interactions with shielding is another big unknown.....is the damage reduction applied before or after shields are consumed? In the past we've seen claims that DR is applied after, but I've yet to see a reconfirmation for many patches.

Good luck to whoever tests it, and be sure to clearly format your results!
01/19/2016 08:25 AMPosted by BDF
As for the question of whether or not absorbing damage with a shield still counts as taking damage for things like Galvinizing ward refresh or Pride's Fall I do not know. I do know however that absorbed damage still counts towards triggering Halo of Arlyse.

Shields work well for Pride's Fall because it's based on your Health Bar. Damage taken by shields do keep the buff up. The same is true for Galvanizing.

I wrote out a test procedure if anyone wanted to test shield priority a bit back....didn't really wanna test it myself though. Quoted below in case anyone wants to take the plunge:

I am almost positive that shield priority stacks by age. Your newest shields will take damage before your older shields. This is why Deflection and Blade Barrier work so well with GW. They're constantly being generated while the GW shield sits below. This means that anytime your Deflection shields are enough to handle incoming damage, your GW should be working towards its refresh. The same principle works with Diamond Skin. You can cast it and if it's enough to absorb all damage for 5s, your GW should come back up. If you can cast DS every 3s, you end up with a very powerful shield rotation but it usually means using Enduring Skin for its 6s duration to cover the entire 5s GW refresh requirement. Ashnagarr's are excellent for this, especially the DS+GW rotation method.

During PTR I cleared GR 68 with no armor skill or Unity using the DS+GW rotation with bracers. I had Aquilla's and Mantle on with UW, but otherwise I was avoiding other DR/Defense boosting options (including leg gems) and using ORotZ to refresh my Enduring Skin CD. It worked pretty well. My shields could be overwhelmed (usually by elites and affixes) but so long as I wasn't stupidly brash they worked well in tanking most damage.

-dolynick
I got another question. How exactly does Ashnagar's buff work?

When I put it on I don't see my shield "doubling" in size. So does that mean the "potency" means the shield just has more damage reduction, but the actual life points of the shield doesn't change?
01/19/2016 10:28 AMPosted by Mochan
I got another question. How exactly does Ashnagar's buff work?

When I put it on I don't see my shield "doubling" in size. So does that mean the "potency" means the shield just has more damage reduction, but the actual life points of the shield doesn't change?

It doesn't affect existing shields...gotta refresh your crap
How does Molten Wildebeest Gizzard factor into this? It doesn't provide a %life shield.

Is it treated as a shield for Ashnagarr's? (Guessing no)

Is damage applied to it before or after other skill-based shields? (Guessing age dependent as Dolynick indicates above?)
01/19/2016 11:11 AMPosted by Ganraeln
How does Molten Wildebeest Gizzard factor into this? It doesn't provide a %life shield.

Is it treated as a shield for Ashnagarr's? (Guessing no)

Is damage applied to it before or after other skill-based shields? (Guessing age dependent as Dolynick indicates above?)

Blood Bracers have zero effect on Gizzard. Just tested it.
Blood Bracers do double the shield from Gizzard. All you have to do is remove the gem to get the shield to drop, re-socket it, and check the strength of the new shield to see.

Force armor works with shields. I tested by having a single leaper make basic attacks against me. Without Force Armor attack were ranging between 300-400k With Force Armor and no shield, Galvanizing Ward shield, and Molten Wildebeest shield, attacks were consistently reduced to ~200k.
Damage to shields will not break Pride's fall and other buffs like Krelm's. You have to take damage past shielding to have these buffs go down.

I'm pretty sure like others are that shielding are refreshed and lay on top of one another in a FIFO style (First in First Out).

01/19/2016 08:09 AMPosted by TinneOnnMuin
damage to my shield was clearly preventing Galvanizing Ward from refreshing.

I've noted the same. Galvanizing seems to be in a different category from buffs like Krelm's and Pride's Fall. Damage to GW shield itself seems to be preventing it from refreshing. As long as you have other shielding that is absorbing damage on top of GW though, GW will reset.

01/19/2016 10:28 AMPosted by Mochan

From what I've seen, you can't just slap the bracers on, abillites will need to refresh after you have had the bracer equipped. Conversely, if an ability or item goes off while you do not have the bracer on, that ability will not be buffed by the bracer.

03/04/2016 04:49 AMPosted by Collide
Blood Bracers do double the shield from Gizzard. All you have to do is remove the gem to get the shield to drop, re-socket it, and check the strength of the new shield to see.

This is not true. I just retested this, even per your steps. With LPS of 50k I was only seeing 100k shielding from this gem. The gem itself provides 200% of LPS shielding, so with the bracers I would expect to see ~200k shield, but I'm not.

For your reference, I've tested these at the start of the season.
  • http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20419432520#5

I will repost here for clarity.

Skills, items, and spells whose shielding value are being increased when you have Ashnagarr's Blood Bracers equipped:
  • Diamond Skin (Crystal Shell)
  • Diamond Skin (Other runes)
  • Galvanizing Ward
  • Dominance
  • Magic Weapon (Deflection)
  • Spectral Blade (Barrier Blades)
  • Dark Mage's Shade (with Crystal Shell on your bar)
  • Dark Mage's Shade (without Diamond Skin on your bar)
  • Unstable Anomaly

The following are not affected:
  • St. Archew's Gage
  • Gizzard
F**kin' magnets
I kn-w -h- --cr-t

if yo- --nt -- -n-w w--t -- -s

a-- -ou -av- -- d- -s --lve -hi- ridd--

sh----s a-- t---ted t-e s-me -s life, th--k of s-ields as a mirror I---e of y--r life.

wh-n y-u s---k --gh m-----tion a-d --e ----e a--or y-u d----ed -ow --ch ---age -ou rec--ve re----nt to h-w mu-h li-e -ou have. re-----ess of m---ter stren--t.

mo-e rev--led in l-ter p--ts