The set dungeons are....really bad.

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
Highly Rated
I mean this in the nicest of ways. I think it's great that you have added so much to the game and that we are getting what amounts to free extra content. That being said, the set dungeons need a serious overhaul if they're going to be taken seriously. I have now done almost all of them on live to at least completion and I was very frustrated throughout. I tried one of the less broken dungeons on PTR (UE DH) so I didn't realize just how broken they were.

Firstly, you have to gear WAY down to keep the mobs from dying before you can do your objectives. For example, in the UE dungeon I had to swap out trail of cinders, remove my companion, and dismiss my Templar just to make sure the mobs wouldn't die as I was herding them into a big mob to multishot them, on top of removing my rings, my amulet, and my bracers to gimp my damage sufficiently. Secondly, some of the objectives are literally impossible and inconceivably hard. I mean....how are you supposed to possibly avoid taking physical damage in the WW dungeon? Seriously? And some of the objectives make no sense at all or can barely be completed - the firebird dungeon rewards you for proccing your death passive, and people have been telling me that the Akkhan dungeon can't be completed sometimes (counter is still running after all the mobs are dead).

Again I appreciate all the hard work the devs have put in to make this patch great, and I've been having a lot of fun in other areas of the game....but the set dungeons need some serious fixes.
Highly Rated
Exactly my thoughts. It was pretty awkward having to gimp myself to actually be able to complete the objectives on the UE one because I was somehow too strong. Switching to a white bow, removing my gems, dismissing my companion and the templar (even he was oneshotting stuff, lol) just to do this just felt awfully wrong. When I first heard of this feature, I was expecting a really hard dungeon that would kick my !@# and demand flawless performance with the set, but it wasn't that at all...

Back to the drawing board©.
Highly Rated
I've had a few goes at the Uliana's Stratagem dungeon and to me the entire dungeon feels like a gimmicky mess that involves very slowly pulling mobs into a clump and oneshotting them. It's tedious and absurdly unfun. The choice of zombies as the mobs, and having them in clumps of 3-6 on average through the entire thing, makes attempting to 'master' this just feel like a job I hate instead of a game I enjoy.

I'm probably not going to bother doing any of them if they're all like this. I'm sad to hear the barbarian one is also unfun.
01/13/2016 07:14 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
Exactly my thoughts. It was pretty awkward having to gimp myself to actually be able to complete the objectives on the UE one because I was somehow too strong. Switching to a white bow, removing my gems, dismissing my companion and the templar (even he was oneshotting stuff, lol) just to do this just felt awfully wrong. When I first heard of this feature, I was expecting a really hard dungeon that would kick my !@# and demand flawless performance with the set, but it wasn't that at all...

Back to the drawing board©.

Exactly. I would rather it was too hard than too easy - or, alternately, give it a minimum difficulty but make it have a slider so that you can scale up the health of enemies (so you can actually complete the dang thing without removing half your gear).

01/13/2016 07:14 PMPosted by Rhyno
I've had a few goes at the Uliana's Stratagem dungeon and to me the entire dungeon feels like a gimmicky mess that involves very slowly pulling mobs into a clump and oneshotting them. It's tedious and absurdly unfun. The choice of zombies as the mobs, and having them in clumps of 3-6 on average through the entire thing, makes attempting to 'master' this just feel like a job I hate instead of a game I enjoy.

I'm probably not going to bother doing any of them if they're all like this. I'm sad to hear the barbarian one is also unfun.

MANY of them are just like that, if not most. Most of them are totally counterintuitive with how the set is actually used and the mastery really just involves running through empty rooms trying to find that one last mob you missed who was sitting in a corner somewhere. The tal rasha dungeon might be the most broken of them all - you need to bait all the rock worms out (even though they don't give a skull icon on the map when there are only a few enemies left???) and also not get hit by them as one of the requirements...it's...really bad. I'm planning on going through and getting the basic wings, no way am I gonna bother with the mastery, not worth it at all.
Delsere one for wiz you have to slow time 30 enemies in one bubble and yet there are so few enemies around and that your lucky to find more than 20 in areas so it makes the objective almost impossible.
You have gather enemies just to get 30 in one slow time bubble.
Also you have to reflect 200 projectiles so then your "forced" to use wave of force skill to reflect projectiles.

The biggest problem for Delsere is the map is a too stretch out and so few enemies in one place.
You also can't beat the time limit unless you have some speed boost ability so you do have to run a mile to the next mob.
So I think you need Warzechian Armguards bracers to give you boost of speed when breaking objects to give your a bit of speed to run to the next mob.

The objectives are either too hard or you have to lessen down your armour or DPS just to fulfil the full set requirement.
A good example of this is my firebirds wiz have ancient Magefist and ancient cindercoat and if I ditch them I lose 38% fire element skill damage in the process...which means I become weaker.
So far I haven't done firebirds set dungeon yet but I have heard you need to die to get the resurrection ability objective which I find is stupid objective to begin with.

But yeah I heard about the Barbarian one really sucks.

Warzechian Armguards bracers is probably a must for some set dungeons if you want to beat the time limit and move fast.
Or Wrath of Lightning might help too but its hard to say depending on class.
I know some here have already done these during PTR but for the rest of us like me are doing it for the first time and finding it quite hard.
^ I had a lot of trouble with Delsere too. I ended up just going for the 200 projectiles to get the basic completion, not worth the effort of struggling to collect 30 friggen bees that are all trying to spread out as much as possible.
Yeah I totally agree with most of what has been said..

Its pretty silly to have to gear down.. I even had to leave one of them 4 times just to reduce my damage enough lol

I've already decided against every single mastery version. I "might" continue to go for the easier version.. but yeah just no..

You'd think with the technology out today they could come up with something better than these...

I mean to do the Firebirds mastery you are almost forced to drop your HP down to 200k and use the cold immunity neck lol.. that is NOT mastering Firebirds..
the thing I don't like the most is the random mods swamp.. everytime we enter we get the same amount of mobs but why they have to be THAT random ?

one more thing is the remaining mobs notification.. sometime they are behind the pillar and not display on the minimap.. you rush and you miss.
WD frustration - Jade dungeon...invisible snakes...LoL. Thanks Blizz.
Pretty much, trying to get 10 mobs together in a clump to unleash your allies while they are running around one shotting things is certainly a challenge, just not a fun one. I'll stick with grinding, that way more fun and rewarding
Highly Rated
tried 1 set dungeon, failed twice, lol'd & log off
Highly Rated
Yea, I do agree these are really boring... These things are meant to be to master our classes set but it just feels like a painful tutorial than something enjoyable...
Some of them are fine, but some of them are too RNGtastic to really be fun. Wrath of the wastes and Delsere depend a lot on decent mob RNG because if you rend or slow time a mob even once it can no longer count towards the objective. Rolands had a similar mechanic as well, but I was able to get through it in a handful of attempts. WotW I spend like 2-3 hours trying to beat before just giving up. I decided to leave it until last.

It's also annoying to learn that you can enter set dungeons as a party, meaning some people will have done the more difficult dungeons with a friend to make them 10x easier. When I read that I thought it must be BS but I tried it in Ulianas (which is also an awful dungeon) and was able to do it very easily with the help of a friend (after having spent numerous attempts on it solo). When you bring friends in you have to do the main objectives, but they can help you clear the trash and group mobs up and things like that. It kind of trivializes what otherwise would have been a very difficult achievement.
Wasn't there a stickied feedback thread specifically for set dungeons in the PTR forum for months?

What happened? :/
Sounds like by design. Some of the dungeons are such head scratchers, it must be.
I know there is a fine line between something being challenging and frustrating though.

But I see it as instead of just crushing or blowing up everything in sight, having to think outside the box for a bit or coordinating with others. The RNG nature of the mobs can be frustrating though.
Not even going to do one, the reward wings are oversized. White+fire angel wings = GOAT.
The DMO dungeon is all based on RNG and its really pissing me off, just nerf them, i want my pennants

YA THESE ARE GREAT FOR FRUSTRATION LITERLY JUST MISSED IT BY 1 EMEMY CAUSE I WAS LOOKING AROUND FOR ONE FOR 25 SECONDS SCREW THESE THINGS REMOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm laughing at all the people who are complaing about gearing down.

The set dungeons are half challenge half puzzle. It requires you to think, something most of you have shown unable to do. There are guides floating around for the set dungeons give stragety, suggested items, suggested skills as well as if you need to downgrade for some of it.

Amazingly enough, new content for COSMETIC items requires some effort to obtain. It's sad how many of you are complaining expecting to blindly walk in and beat it within a couple tries without changing anything but your 6 set.

It's funny how most of you will downvote instead of rising to the challenge.
Wrath of the wastes dungeon seems to really demonstrate how terrible D3s netcode is.

Oh hey, a mob that got stunned hit you, while it's stunned. Dungeon failed.

Oh hey, a mob that is not in melee range of me just hit me while not even facing me. Dungeon failed.

It seems if some mobs start a swing and get interrupted by a stun they sometimes will still get the hit off after they appear to be stunned on your screen.

I now have completed EVERY set dungeon mastery except WotW. I have the gimp green wings, now I just have to bang my head into a wall until I get lucky with WotW to get my bigger wings.

/sigh
some of you sound really whiny and pathetic..

use your infantile brains and figure out ways to complete the objectives...

this is the entire purpose. it's not just another gear check.