can we talk about progress orbs again?

General Discussion
1 2 3 13 Next
Highly Rated
Please Blizzard, just take them out of the game already, they don't serve any purpose at all.

I know, in your theoretical and psychoanalytical game developer wonderland, you seem to think, that they are perceived as some kind of reward by our brains, and that we are flooded by endorphins, smiling at our screens, beaming with joy.

You wanna know what happens in the real world when they drop?

THEY ANNOY ANYONE.

I mean what is the logic behind it even? Why do certain monsters leave purple balls behind as remains, while others magically manage to find their way from afterlife into our progress bar on their own?

Do you really think that it helps with immersion, when you place these arcade items like globes and whatnot into a supposedly role playing game, to make it look like a medieval version of Sonic the Hedgehog or Mario Kart?

I mean even if....let's just assume for one second, that they need to be in the game....even if we need progress orbs, do they have to randomly spread all over the screen for no apparent reason, other than p*ss*ng us off maybe? Thanks to the static isometric engine, they sometimes even manage to fall in places, that are not visible to the player, like behind a wall etc.

And the very least you could do, is dropping these utterly useless bubbles, when a mob is dead, at 0 hp, finito. There is nothing worse, than waiting for a monster to finish its explosive post mortem flatulence, just so you can pick up some purple bubbles, that just burst out of its splattered body.

Monsters that explode on death? What is this, some trash horror movie?

Don't get me even started on that, but seriously, for the love of diablo, do your customers a favor and remove this nonsense mechanic.

I know you always need to take your time with these things, since it has to look like it was your call and everything, I understand that. You still have 2 months time until the next patch probably hits, so trust me, until then people will have forgotten this thread and you guys can shine a little.

Everybody wins!

Thanks for listening.
Progress Orbs exist to speed up Rifts and Grifts...
Highly Rated
01/24/2016 01:32 PMPosted by Krashino

Are you serious?

Please explain, how they speed up things, when I have to wait for them and then walk around to collect them, while I could be two screens further already.

The whole concept of rifts and grifts was, to have an endless dungeon, where no loot drops, so you can focus on combat and don't get distracted by picking up things. And then they decided to make picking up things one of the core mechanics, in the game mode that is supposed to be the exact opposite.

I mean, not only that, they even spread way further, than any loot ever could. They literally implemented this in a way, that is clearly supposed to p*ss you off.

I mean......WHAT?
Highly Rated
01/24/2016 01:32 PMPosted by Krashino

The OP's point is that the progress granted by progress orbs should just be rolled in to each pack's progress value by default instead of dropping on the ground in nonsensical directions.
Each orb fills up the bar as much as an Elite mob would I do believe, meaning they are worth picking up.
But by all means, if you dont LIKE them, you can always skip em and see if you still finish your Grift in time
Or skip em in Rifts and let that Rift last a bit longer, or both if you choose...
I'm just saying the Orbs have a purpose in the game
01/24/2016 01:49 PMPosted by Krashino
Each orb fills up the bar as much as an Elite mob would I do believe, meaning they are worth picking up.
But by all means, if you dont LIKE them, you can always skip em and see if you still finish your Grift in time
Or skip em in Rifts and let that Rift last a bit longer, or both if you choose...

Missing the point.

Honestly the only reason for progress orbs to not be rolled in to a pack's progress value by default is if there's some technical limitation in the engine. But since Rifts and Greater Rifts now use the same system (orbs and all) with the only difference being more pylons and no loot, I doubt this is the case.
Without them at this point you'll end up with a bunch of threads on the forum complaining about how players aren't getting full credit for killing elites and such.

I don't find them all that annoying. And yes, they are a sort of 'hit the tab, receive an award' skinner box thing.

Just another triviality that someone wants to blow up into a giant mountain of complaining.
Make them automatically go to the closer Nephalem.

Turn around everytime you kill an elit is god damn boring !

Waste of precious seconds in this timed run for such a simple thing is lame...

No, they don't.

I mean yes, they do, but only because it was decided that they do.

When I kill an elite pack, the progress should be given to me automatically, period. This works for all kinds of regular mobs, why do elite mobs need to have this annoying orb mechanic?

You see, that's my point, they actually slow you down, in a game mode, that is supposed to be about speed.

I remember the d3 devs speaking about them in the early rift days, and I think they mentioned smth like "we felt, that the reward feeling is missing, when killing elites in a rift, so we came up with these orbs" and I believe this just doesn't hold true anymore ....if it ever did.

There is no reward feeling when they drop, just plain, utter annoyance, frustration and misery.

( and yes, I am obviously hyperbolizing a bit .. )
Yes they are annoying as fvck.
remove, make the pack give the amount the orbs would give additionaly on what they usually give, done. simple as that

or just make them not spread over the screen but drop all together on 1 place where the elite died
01/24/2016 01:59 PMPosted by GloryJak
Make them automatically go to the closer Nephalem.

Turn around everytime you kill an elit is god damn boring !

Waste of precious seconds in this timed run for such a simple thing is lame...

This is actually a very good compromise .....if you really need to let them drop, they should automatically fly to the next player in range, no matter if 3,30 or 50 feet away.

I'd still prefer them to be gone completely, but this way the genius that came up with this "feature" could at least save face.

I could very well imagine, that this guy or girl is also the creative mastermind behind nephalem trials.......only took a year.
I don't mind them personally but I hate it when they land so far apart.
How are you still failing to see what OP is saying?
Especially with the conquest of beating a TX rift under 4 minutes, having these orbs around makes it a true waste of time.

These orbs things are really, really stupid.
If they need to have some special snowflake rewarding feeling, add a cool wafty magic effect that flows into the bar. But that's a pathetic reason to have orbs scatter across the screen when you kill elites. "IT MAKES U FEEL HAPPY THO"? Yeah, so does finishing the rift without running in circles to hoover up arbitrary jujubes.
01/24/2016 03:19 PMPosted by Ryken

01/24/2016 02:00 PMPosted by error37

No, they don't.

I mean yes, they do, but only because it was decided that they do.

When I kill an elite pack, the progress should be given to me automatically, period. This works for all kinds of regular mobs, why do elite mobs need to have this annoying orb mechanic?

You see, that's my point, they actually slow you down, in a game mode, that is supposed to be about speed.

I remember the d3 devs speaking about them in the early rift days, and I think they mentioned smth like "we felt, that the reward feeling is missing, when killing elites in a rift, so we came up with these orbs" and I believe this just doesn't hold true anymore ....if it ever did.

There is no reward feeling when they drop, just plain, utter annoyance, frustration and misery.

( and yes, I am obviously hyperbolizing a bit .. )
I thought the inconvenience was the main point why they existed. Else, you'd just be flying through a map without care or worry of where you went, or how fast you went, until you hit a dead-end. I agree, there's very little point to them, and they are annoying.
01/24/2016 04:18 PMPosted by Sapphire
I thought the inconvenience was the main point why they existed. Else, you'd just be flying through a map without care or worry of where you went, or how fast you went, until you hit a dead-end.
Even Blizzard isn't dumb enough to think this would be a good thing.
Don't think they are worth it then don't pick them up . it is that simple. The real problem is the loser that pass on elites don't get them. Just another example of how those that feel elite want everything for nothing. He says they are useless then let him pass on them. I like them, others also do.

As for the lame add them to the bar. No. If you want Blizzard to get rid of them the fine get rid of whatever they offer.
They offer a bonus for those that are willing to go after them.