Blizzard we need competitive side to the game (end game

Brawling
Bounties , Grifts , normal rifts are not end game.

When I bought Diablo 3 they said they going to deliver a working pvp . I cannot believe that after 4 years its still not here.

Every season Is ok I guess for like few days .

We need something competitive to make it actually worth farming.

The idea to farm in order to farm is wrong . I want to farm good items for a reason not just to kill NPC's (AI ) .

Games like Dota , CS GO and any sport is repetitive but the reason they so good it is because people can beat other people and actually show that they are better.

We need some kind of competitive side .

I mean Blizzard create Star Craft I mean come on guys you can deliver .

4 years and no one from the dev doesn't want to take the challenge ? why ?
"Blizzard, we need these arbitrary things because I said so."

01/02/2016 08:03 PMPosted by DragonLight
When I bought Diablo 3 they said they going to deliver a working pvp . I cannot believe that after 4 years its still not here.

Somebody missed the memo...
01/02/2016 08:06 PMPosted by Telliks

You mean how they gave up because they couldn't come up with a solution to implement a critical selling point for the original D3?

You mean how they shifted over to full on-rails progression with their stupidly overpowered sets that would render pvp into a lame 1shot fest because they can't balance anything to save their lives?

Killing the same monsters with infinitely scaling healthpools can only do so much for longevity, especially when they're so obsessed with dictating how we should play by actively discouraging relevant experimentation just so they can pat eachother in the back for succeeding at making everyone and their mom play the exact same builds.

PvP is but one of the evident longevity formulas, though. It doesn't need to be thoroughly emphasized on, but defending their mediocrity is really unnecessary. Heck, even with the glringly amateurish balance work they've done with RoS so far, I'm pretty sure the arena gameplay they baited tons of customers with back in vanilla would eventually sort itself out without them having to do much more than normalizing PvP damage to like 1-5% of PvE damage. They even have a metric ton of potential arena-like places to mix it up a bit (Mahgda's lair, Azmodan's place, Diablo's lair, and so on). We get they don't want it to be the main focus of the game, but why would it be so bad to just implement them and let players sort it out? I mean, it worked for D2 even in it's rudimentary state, and lots of folks still do it with no intervention from Blizzard despite the claims about X or Y build dominating. Works just fine for PoE as well.
01/02/2016 08:49 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
01/02/2016 08:06 PMPosted by Telliks

You mean how they gave up because they couldn't come up with a solution to implement a critical selling point for the original D3?

You mean how they shifted over to full on-rails progression with their stupidly overpowered sets that would render pvp into a lame 1shot fest because they can't balance anything to save their lives?

Killing the same monsters with infinitely scaling healthpools can only do so much for longevity, especially when they're so obsessed with dictating how we should play by actively discouraging relevant experimentation just so they can pat eachother in the back for succeeding at making everyone and their mom play the exact same builds.

PvP is but one of the evident longevity formulas, though. It doesn't need to be thoroughly emphasized on, but defending their mediocrity is really unnecessary. Heck, even with the glringly amateurish balance work they've done with RoS so far, I'm pretty sure the arena gameplay they baited tons of customers with back in vanilla would eventually sort itself out without them having to do much more than normalizing PvP damage to like 1-5% of PvE damage. They even have a metric ton of potential arena-like places to mix it up a bit (Mahgda's lair, Azmodan's place, Diablo's lair, and so on). We get they don't want it to be the main focus of the game, but why would it be so bad to just implement them and let players sort it out? I mean, it worked for D2 even in it's rudimentary state, and lots of folks still do it with no intervention from Blizzard despite the claims about X or Y build dominating. Works just fine for PoE as well.

If all you want them to do is allow you to fight other players, they've already done that. It's called brawling. Have fun!

Oh wait, you won't... because the game is fundamentally wrong in every way for any kind of PvP. They dropped Arena PvP because it's not that they can't balance it, it's that it's practically impossible to balance given the current mechanics of the game. They would have to changed the way skills and gear work entirely in PvP, which basically means doing everything twice at this point.

So which do you actually want? Do you want the competitive, arena-based PvP with matchmaking and score screens and blah blah blah, or do you want them to just implement Diablo 2's hostility settings and allow "the players to sort it out"?
01/02/2016 09:05 PMPosted by Telliks
If all you want them to do is allow you to fight other players, they've already done that. It's called brawling. Have fun!

Oh wait, you won't... because the game is fundamentally wrong in every way for any kind of PvP. They dropped Arena PvP because it's not that they can't balance it, it's that it's practically impossible to balance given the current mechanics of the game. They would have to changed the way skills and gear work entirely in PvP, which basically means doing everything twice at this point.

Swallowing whole, I see? You see, the same was said for D2, yet that didn't stop people from thoroughly enjoying it as their preferred form of endgame, despite not being officially supported.

01/02/2016 09:05 PMPosted by Telliks
So which do you actually want? Do you want the competitive, arena-based PvP with matchmaking and score screens and blah blah blah, or do you want them to just implement Diablo 2's hostility settings and allow "the players to sort it out"?

Who said anything about hostility? There's nothing competitive about a bunch of griefers aggravating unprepared folks. Organized PvP, on the other hand, is way more exciting. You know, facing an opponent at his best, a true test of skill, rather than cheap-shotting people who aren't even expecting it. However, even with the rudimentary state of brawling, something much better could be accomplished if they just put some effort into it instead of making up excuses to just give up on a feature that was promised at launch as a selling point. Currently it's just the stupid amounts of damage scaling making it a joke, but even back in vanilla there was some people who actually enjoyed it and even developed some niche builds that worked for it, so it's not like "it's just impossible to balance with the current mechanics" yada yada yada. If you want to patronize their laziness reeking of incompetence, that's your call. I'm not that complacent.

You know what's funny about all this? These so-called "current mechanics" are entirely dictated by their overwhelmingly dominant sets. Yet another reason to get rid of them. Truth is, these people are simply improvising. Mistake after mistake, it's all improvisation and glaring inexperience with an ARPG all over the place. They try to make it their own thing, but still fail to retain a substantial playerbase for anything longer than a couple weeks because of their obsessive controlling mentality that clouds what little vision they could've had of a proper Diablo experience. Heck, even one of their clueless designers stated the game wasn't meant to be played for long periods of time, suggesting you could play for a bit and then go back to WoW. It's hard to respect people who think so little of their work. Any game designer worth his title would strive for people to play the game for as long as possible. I guess poor little clueless Don Vu just had a Freudian slip or something. Doesn't make the statement less stupid, though.

Besides, it's pretty evident how relevant PvP competition massively extends the lifespan of any game, even if it's not official E-sports. You're welcome to believe Mosqueira's oversimplified motto for Diablo "killing monsters and getting epic loot©" if you will. There's those of us who understand Diablo can be much, much more than that.

But back to this claim about "the current mechanics" hindering PvP viability. I don't know if you've noticed, but exactly the same scenario happens in WoW. Numbers grow exponentially with every new tier of gear, yet there's still a way to "balance" things out for PvP. They're following the exact same itemization model, for Diablo's sake! How can you claim such a thing with such confidence? Resilience solved the 1shot fest issue for WoW almost a decade ago. Seeing how they're committed to port over stuff from there at every opportunity, you'd expect them to have realized this by now as well. That's why normalizing damage for PvP would work, despite the seemingly inconvenient "current mechanics". there even was already a rudimentary implementation for this with the "reduced damage from elites" stat back in vanilla.

Hope you don't choke on that PR nonsense about the impossibility of PvP for this game too hard.
01/03/2016 12:06 AMPosted by Blashyrkh
Hope you don't choke on that PR nonsense about the impossibility of PvP for this game too hard.

Armchair developers wearing rose-tinted glasses are always amusing.
Who said anything about hostility? There's nothing competitive about a bunch of griefers aggravating unprepared folks. Organized PvP, on the other hand, is way more exciting. You know, facing an opponent at his best, a true test of skill, rather than cheap-shotting people who aren't even expecting it. However, even with the rudimentary state of brawling, something much better could be accomplished if they just put some effort into it instead of making up excuses to just give up on a feature that was promised at launch as a selling point. Currently it's just the stupid amounts of damage scaling making it a joke, but even back in vanilla there was some people who actually enjoyed it and even developed some niche builds that worked for it, so it's not like "it's just impossible to balance with the current mechanics" yada yada yada. If you want to patronize their laziness reeking of incompetence, that's your call. I'm not that complacent.

/amen

This is all I've seen all along, complete, beyond unbelievable in competence from a company of this size/reputation, games are definitely going downhill :( it all started after vanilla wow. TBH, I think wow killed the company as their games have gone to !@#$ since wow, bar sc2 series. Prior to wow, every game released was of top quality/longevity/great game to play. Look at the standard of games after vanilla wow, dumbed down, generic, appealing to as wide of an audience as possible, staying untrue to fans. all wow xpacs, d3, d3 xpacs, and I'm not confident that the quality of future releases will be up to my standards. I wanted to try wow again, but after hearing how dumbed down/noob-casual friendly it is and you can start at max lvl etc I thought I would pass :/
so basically you are a pvp fanboy and an end game that is not pvp isn't an end game to you?

you know pvp has never been the first purpose of game like diablo right? and many don't give a ** about it

if pvp is all that matter to you just switch to a game oriented to be a pvp one

Really? Why can't you believe it? Did you just get out of D3 bed?? We've had brawling for a long time. Does it make sense tho? considering people are doing 10billion crits it's sorta silly.

But yea dude we can go "brawl" or "duel" or whatever, i'll bring my multishotDH you bring that barb of yours there and we'll see how it goes.

Actually one of the nastiest PVP builds is WD's using spirit walk/haunt in the jade set.

BLAM, you're dead. "But I couldn't even see you that's BS."

So the OP would like to get into rooms with people and either get instagibbed or be instagibbed over and over and over again. Now THAT'S some good end game OP!!

So OP, how many times do you let someone gib you before you go "Welp, yea, you got me beat."?

lol, friggin pvp. I do like it but uh, it wasn't really the best thing about d2 and it's way too late to become a part of d3.

i'm sayin, casual players like myself (not around the holidays) are hittin for up to 10 billion I just don't know why the OP rolls out of bed thinking we can duel now.
i'm a casual solo/coöp player
-i've fun blasting, grinding, achieving

-leaderboards are ok
-kicking a weak player from a group is ok
-earning unique PvP-gear is ok, as long as it's only for the looks, not for op-stats

but when a competitional component cuts me off from in-game stuff and fluff, i'm gone
(like op-gear or stats from status)

like i always say: you can't mix PvE and PvP

The idea to farm in order to farm is wrong . I want to farm good items for a reason not just to kill NPC's (AI ) .

And yet you were stupid enough to buy the expansion?
The idea to farm in order to farm is wrong .

indeed

P.S.:in the beginning you were farming to beat diablo on inferno, and by this beating the game...
LOL it's been like 4 years and people like OP are still clinging on waiting for that amazing team oriented arena based fair and balanced diablo PVP.

It's never going to happen. It's time to let it go. Move on.

You have brawling, or playing another game actually designed for PVP like HOTS.
Well as for WE I do not agree. I can't care less about pvp in D3. I play WoW for that. It would be better stated HE wants endgame.

Did everything you could in the game. Gratz your done. Time to move on to another game. This is how games work right.
If you want real skilfull PvP i suggest go play Blade & Soul.Just saying ....
PvP can't be done unless the core character build system is changed. The game was entirely developed to PvE and it will be never good that way.
Btw, it sucks for PvE as well, power creep and only-loot-based-game are a mistake.
In Blizzard's eyes, Brawling=PvP

I can understand if you feel let down by that, but the reality is that Blizzard pushes the co-operative, PvE model for Diablo. While, Blizzard is making a huge play in eSports and its entirely possible that they will revamp Brawling at some point to make it eSports-worthy, personally I think that's unlikely.
01/03/2016 12:58 AMPosted by Telliks

I know right? Specially when they prompt lame one-liners from people who simply have no real arguments.

As for the "rose tinted googles", thanks for failing to realize WoW has exactly the same item progression layout, rendering your claim about "current game mechanics" making PvP impossible to balance completely nil. I only brought up D2 because people would also claim certain builds would roflstomp everything, despite that claim being demonstrably false. You know, just like now in D3. Would it make you feel better if I didn't mention D2? Perhaps then you'd actually take the time to develop a concise and properly articulated counter argument about why it's so impossible to implement PvP in a game with the same layout as another that actually has thorough emphasis on it, instead of nodding like a bobble head at every nonsensical PR response the clueless design team issues to rationalize their laziness.

01/03/2016 06:40 AMPosted by EmmetOtter
In Blizzard's eyes, Brawling=PvP

I can understand if you feel let down by that, but the reality is that Blizzard pushes the co-operative, PvE model for Diablo. While, Blizzard is making a huge play in eSports and its entirely possible that they will revamp Brawling at some point to make it eSports-worthy, personally I think that's unlikely.

That unfortunately does seem like a plausible scenario. They seem pretty happy with the game being fun for a short time before players returnin to their more profitable PvP platforms. That statement by Don Vu gave us a glimpse of just how little passion these people truly have for their work. This is the kind of crap you can expect when marketing takes over passion as a motivation behind game development. It's just frustrating it had to be Diablo and not some new franchise...
01/03/2016 12:58 AMPosted by Telliks

I know right? Specially when they prompt lame one-liners from people who simply have no real arguments.

As for the "rose tinted googles", thanks for failing to realize WoW has exactly the same item progression layout, rendering your claim about "current game mechanics" making PvP impossible to balance completely nil. I only brought up D2 because people would also claim certain builds would roflstomp everything, despite that claim being demonstrably false. You know, just like now in D3. Would it make you feel better if I didn't mention D2? Perhaps then you'd actually take the time to develop a concise and properly articulated counter argument about why it's so impossible to implement PvP in a game with the same layout as another that actually has thorough emphasis on it, instead of nodding like a bobble head at every nonsensical PR response the clueless design team issues to rationalize their laziness.

And what would even be the point in arguing with someone so willing to dismiss simple logic and reason as "PR speak"? We already know that there's nothing I can say that is going to change your mind. You apparently think PvP is as easy as flipping a switch and boom, it's there! That kind of mentality is born of ignorance. Willful ignorance at that. Someone who refuses to see past their own perceived reality (that's you), can't be reasoned with. There have actually been psychological studies done that prove that someone who believes something as religiously as you seem to believe Blizzard is just lazy/incompetent/whatever, will only convince themselves they're correct all the more if they're given any evidence to the contrary. It's called cognitive dissonance.

Here, let's go back and waste some time breaking down your previous argument. You seem to want me to do that...

Who said anything about hostility? There's nothing competitive about a bunch of griefers aggravating unprepared folks.

Lots of people, considering that's pretty much the only way people played PvP in Diablo 2. Sure, there were small groups of people who would gather in servers and attempt to moderate more official duels, but you're fooling yourself if you think any significant percentage of the population would do that in D3. They have the ability to do that now with Brawling and they don't, because it sucks.

And let's not forget, Diablo 2 was one of the only games that offered a choice to do that in the past. There weren't a plethora of games that allowed players to fight each other over the internet back in the early 00s. That option was only really starting to take off as internet connections became more reliable. Most of the competitive PvP games back then were simpler and were made to compensate for latency. There's a reason LAN parties were much larger then than they are now, despite the fact that overall numbers of "gamers" have increased considerably since those times.

Organized PvP, on the other hand, is way more exciting. You know, facing an opponent at his best, a true test of skill, rather than cheap-shotting people who aren't even expecting it.

That's true. And I'm sure that's why half of Blizzard's current lineup of games are focused entirely on PvP...

However, even with the rudimentary state of brawling, something much better could be accomplished if they just put some effort into it instead of making up excuses to just give up on a feature that was promised at launch as a selling point.

Yeah... "just a little effort, guys!"

Statements like that only prove you know nothing about game development and are content to accuse others of laziness rather than at least trying to understand what it might take to actually implement something like competitive PvP into a game. There's a reason many games are released with PvP that is completely separate from the single-player/co-op experience in almost every way. If you want something done in a way which you might consider it "done right", then it takes more than "just a little effort".

Currently it's just the stupid amounts of damage scaling making it a joke, but even back in vanilla there was some people who actually enjoyed it and even developed some niche builds that worked for it, so it's not like "it's just impossible to balance with the current mechanics" yada yada yada.

Oh so some community members coming up with some arbitrary rules and gear sets to make PvP slightly more fair and competitive than the game itself actually allows = the developers should have an easy time balancing a competitive PvP mode, right?

Talk about non-sequitur...

You know what's funny about all this? These so-called "current mechanics" are entirely dictated by their overwhelmingly dominant sets. Yet another reason to get rid of them.

So you're agreeing that the current mechanics of the game in no way contribute to a balanced PvP environment and you think they should scrap all the work they've done for the past two years in order to create said stable PvP environment, which would also irreversibly shift focus from their current end-game to the PvP end-game that you want.

Just a little effort, guys!

Truth is, these people are simply improvising. Mistake after mistake, it's all improvisation and glaring inexperience with an ARPG all over the place. They try to make it their own thing, but still fail to retain a substantial playerbase for anything longer than a couple weeks because of their obsessive controlling mentality that clouds what little vision they could've had of a proper Diablo experience.

And there it is... the "I think they're incompetent because they're not developing the game I want" argument. Soak it in, fellas... in all its glory!

I honestly don't know how to argue with pontification of this magnitude. I guess I'll have to give you that one.

Heck, even one of their clueless designers stated the game wasn't meant to be played for long periods of time, suggesting you could play for a bit and then go back to WoW. It's hard to respect people who think so little of their work.

Yes yes... I'm sure Alexey Pajitnov thought people who played his game were going to sit and waste hours upon hours of their lives doing it.

Did you know that the most played games on the planet currently are mobile games? Games that are meant to sit and waste a few minutes of someone's time when they're bored? I bet the developers of those games think little of their work as well, having designed games that aren't meant to be played for long periods of time...

Ultimately you're making the "Diablo 3 is just a casual game for casuals" argument here, which basically just translates to you whining that the game doesn't cater to your specific needs.

The Rolling Stones had a song about this.

Any game designer worth his title would strive for people to play the game for as long as possible.

A no true scotsman by someone who doesn't even consider himself the true scotsman. Always entertaining.

Besides, it's pretty evident how relevant PvP competition massively extends the lifespan of any game, even if it's not official E-sports.

This comment is irrelevant. Yes, it's true that PvP does tend to grasp more players and keep them playing a game for longer periods of time. That's true.

The problem is that you're implying Diablo 3 needs to be a game that provides that experience with little reason to support the claim beyond "I want PvP".

Not to mention, your premise is flawed. While a game having PvP can increase its lifespan, it doesn't always do that. There are many games out there with dead PvP modes months after launch, because the PvP is garbage. Alternatively, there are many games that don't have PvP and don't even receive official updates for years that people still play to this day.

But back to this claim about "the current mechanics" hindering PvP viability. I don't know if you've noticed, but exactly the same scenario happens in WoW. Numbers grow exponentially with every new tier of gear, yet there's still a way to "balance" things out for PvP.

Which ultimately seems to just consist of reducing player damage, according to your arguments.

You can go test that out by stacking +defense gear and not using sets and start brawling right now. It's... not good. lol

The simplest way to explain to you that you're wrong is to knock the crutches out from under that "they did it with WoW!!!!11" argument you seem to like so much.

WoW is in no way the same game as Diablo 3. Listing the multitude of ways that an MMO like WoW is different from an ARPG like Diablo 3, well... that would be a long list. The most important ones, however, being that the gameplay, skill/talents systems, control layout, and even the interface are entirely different between the two games. Besides that, if you want them to just copy/paste the way WoW does things, you could always just go play WoW...

At the end of the day, your arguments are all over the place. You say that PvP would be simple to implement (by way of saying the developers are too lazy to do so), then you say that you want competitive PvP, even if it's not as e-sports-related as a fully PvP oriented game. Then for comparison, you equate two games that aren't even remotely mechanically the same, by way of a marginally similar itemization system.

Your arguments here are bonkers... and then you wonder why I choose not to waste time actually engaging you.

It's quite simple. To "make good" on their promise of implementing PvP that they printed on the box, Blizzard gave you brawling. For all intents and purposes, that is PvP, and given the direction they've driven this game over the last two years, it's unlikely you'll ever see more than that. If they do decide to improve PvP a bit, it will most likely come as a slight expansion to Brawling, perhaps implementing a few extra arenas, maybe a rudimentary scoring/matching system... but beyond that, I wouldn't hold my breath.

"True" competitive PvP in Diablo 3 is never going to happen, for a multitude of reasons. You're a damn fool if you think any of those reasons are easily overcome.
And what would even be the point in arguing with someone so willing to dismiss simple logic and reason as "PR speak"?

Because it's not simple logic. It's demonstrably wrong and a glaring sign of sheer laziness on their part.

You apparently think PvP is as easy as flipping a switch and boom, it's there! That kind of mentality is born of ignorance.

No, I didn't. It's difficult, but doable, that's the point. They're simply not even trying and gave up, despite using the exact same progression layout they use for WoW. You know, that popular game whose player base is actively engaged in PvP? You can keep denying it, it's still there for everyone to see.

Someone who refuses to see past their own perceived reality (that's you), can't be reasoned with. There have actually been psychological studies done that prove that someone who believes something as religiously as you seem to believe Blizzard is just lazy/incompetent/whatever, will only convince themselves they're correct all the more if they're given any evidence to the contrary. It's called cognitive dissonance.

You didn't even bother reading, did you? Talk about cognitive dissonance.

Lots of people, considering that's pretty much the only way people played PvP in Diablo 2. Sure, there were small groups of people who would gather in servers and attempt to moderate more official duels, but you're fooling yourself if you think any significant percentage of the population would do that in D3. They have the ability to do that now with Brawling and they don't, because it sucks.

Because it it's current iteration it's a laughably pointless 1shot fest thanks to the uncontrolled player damage growth. Go back to the resilience point and how it solved this exact same issue for WoW, and then come back once you understand it, please.

And let's not forget, Diablo 2 was one of the only games that offered a choice to do that in the past. There weren't a plethora of games that allowed players to fight each other over the internet back in the early 00s. That option was only really starting to take off as internet connections became more reliable. Most of the competitive PvP games back then were simpler and were made to compensate for latency. There's a reason LAN parties were much larger then than they are now, despite the fact that overall numbers of "gamers" have increased considerably since those times.

So systems evolved. Ok. Rudimentary implementations still didn't prevent a PvP culture from flourishing, did it?

Statements like that only prove you know nothing about game development and are content to accuse others of laziness rather than at least trying to understand what it might take to actually implement something like competitive PvP into a game. There's a reason many games are released with PvP that is completely separate from the single-player/co-op experience in almost every way. If you want something done in a way which you might consider it "done right", then it takes more than "just a little effort".

Yet WoW doesn't explicitly separate the two. Sure, there's Raids and there's Arena, but there's world PvP too. You still seem to be oblivious about the fact the gear progression layout in D3 is literally copy/pasted from WoW, so I'll drop it here one more time hoping you finally acknowledge that fact. Normalizing damage for PvP isn't a difficult thing to do, is it? Blizzard figured that out already back in the burning crusade expansion, almost a decade ago. Sorry you still haven't been able to wrap your head around practical solutions.

That's true. And I'm sure that's why half of Blizzard's current lineup of games are focused entirely on PvP...

Which makes you wonder why the hell haven't they implemented this in the game they struggle the most to keep alive past a couple weeks after a season starts.

So you're agreeing that the current mechanics of the game in no way contribute to a balanced PvP environment and you think they should scrap all the work they've done for the past two years in order to create said stable PvP environment, which would also irreversibly shift focus from their current end-game to the PvP end-game that you want.

Of course they don't, because they don't have the necessary counter-weight to make them viable. Adding resilience-like damage normalization won't break anything PvE-wise, because it's *gasp* PvP oriented! I know, mind blowing stuff right there, ain't it?