Why are devs so stingy on stash space?

Items and Crafting
They need something to get people into seasons.
01/19/2016 01:36 PMPosted by AdunSaveMe
They need something to get people into seasons.

I'm guessing that somebody high up in the Blizzard totem-pole is trying to make Seasons not look like a complete failure.

Nevermind the fact that D3 was DESIGNED to DISCOURAGE re-rolling. But common sense isn't so common, I guess.

Seriously though, any other game you just start a new character or hit the "Reset" button if you want to start over. I don't know why Blizzard felt like blowing it up into this huge deal just to reset your progress. It's not like there is any economy to refresh. They did a good job of gutting that already.
1 Stash per season.
Forces everyone to play the 'optional' Seasons for more space.
Seeing how gated the extra stash tab is, I'm rather discouraged. I'm playing S5 for the chance to focus on and get to learn how to play a Wizard. But I have no expectations of unlocking that extra tab.

Seasons were fun for their own sake, a nice change of pace as I focus on a single class. But now it just feels punitive because I can't devote 8+ hours a day to play.
If this game had an offline mode... we could have infinite tabs!
01/19/2016 12:10 AMPosted by SirRight
Yes, I get it. You don't want to EARN your gear,

Brother, If I buy something with REAL money, I DID earn that gear. Now you get it.

*dusts hands*
The death of the Auction House was the best thing for this game \\ Sheesh, generation ME!

bytheby, I also prophesied the real money auction house would be and seemed, and is, and was a disaster. I never purchased anything, and relish in the thought that some people paid ALOT of money for items that don't even salvage for a digital fart.

as far as the generation me? lol, I turn 42 in march, yay. I want to buy stash space, sorry you haven't EARNED money to buy stuff. ;)
01/19/2016 04:38 AMPosted by Kobrakai
It's funny reading all the conspiracy theories. But the actual reason is, if you have been following the blue posts over the past year or so, that they can't give more space to the masses due to technical limitations.

yea, the more I think about it, it makes sense they are afraid to do it. think about how often we open our stashes already, whether just the stuff on our toons or the stuff in our chest, sometimes it takes a couple seconds for all those icons to appear.

we may very well be asking for something they just aren't prepped for because they didn't ... *sigh* think ahead, or something.
01/19/2016 04:20 PMPosted by BoPop
01/19/2016 12:10 AMPosted by SirRight
Yes, I get it. You don't want to EARN your gear,

Brother, If I buy something with REAL money, I DID earn that gear. Now you get it.

*dusts hands*

Typical response from a Generation ME player. Why spend years leveling a character in WoW to70+ when you can pay money to get one.

I could try to explain it to you, that you actually shortchange yourself by taking shortcuts, and that getting that tab by playing hard will actually mean more to you than just buying it, but I don't think you are even capable of understanding the concept.

*shrugs shoulders and rolls eyes*
01/19/2016 04:23 PMPosted by BoPop
The death of the Auction House was the best thing for this game \\ Sheesh, generation ME!

bytheby, I also prophesied the real money auction house would be and seemed, and is, and was a disaster. I never purchased anything, and relish in the thought that some people paid ALOT of money for items that don't even salvage for a digital fart.

as far as the generation me? lol, I turn 42 in march, yay. I want to buy stash space, sorry you haven't EARNED money to buy stuff. ;)

Well I too am glad the Auction House is gone and am happy that they are now focused on what a loot finding/dungeon crawling game is supposed to be about, but I take no pleasure in the knowledge that many people are out a lot of money. Schadenfreude much?

And I may have to do an internet search but I believe that you are just on the cusp of Generation ME, which consists of the tail end of the latch key Gen X and the entitled and whiney Gen Y. (Legal note: not all people are latch key kids nor are all people from these groups entitled and whiney, but as a stereotypical viewpoint, surveys that have been conducted show these traits as commonplace).
01/19/2016 05:38 PMPosted by SirRight
Typical response from a Generation ME player. Why spend years leveling a character in WoW to70+ when you can pay money to get one.

I could try to explain it to you, that you actually shortchange yourself by taking shortcuts, and that getting that tab by playing hard will actually mean more to you than just buying it, but I don't think you are even capable of understanding the concept.

ooooh you're soooOOOoo smart... -_-

who cares what you think *shrugs shoulders and rolls eyes* get back on your white horse ye white knight of D3 with your ol' "generation me" berberber duhhhh

RoS was released in 2014, not 2012 which I have bought.

and expecting a free meal? no, it's more like going to the restaurant and I order 4 dishes, but I'm only allowed to have 3 plates so they just put 2 dishes on 1 plate and say ''well why don't you go do X and Y and A and then we will give you a fourth plate, it's ridiculous it's not extra content, it's an extra QoL for my enjoyment at that restaurant.

this is not extra content, this is a QoL change, !@#$ like that should be handed out for free or hell make it cost money like 1/5 euro,

Well many of us were here since 2012 and still are.

If you don't like the meal at the restaurant then find another restaurant.

If you got more than 100 hours of enjoyment out of RoS then you got a great deal; entertainment for only $1 per hour. You got your value now either move on to another game or shut it and be happy that D3 is still being supported after one year from the release of the expansion. There are very, very few game companies that support their product for more than a year, unless it's because they a planning more expansions.

exactly, they're planning an expansion, they're not supporting the game because ''oh look how awesome we here at blizzard are we're such good guys who do so much for the consumer to have them be happy!'' no it's because `1. gives you a better reputation thus people are more likely to look at what games you sell as opposed to abandoning your games all together, and 2. it would be stupid to not support a game if a expansion is planned, it only makes sense marketing wise to still make patches for this game.

and I do enjoy my meal at the restaurant, but it could be so much more enjoyable if my spaghetti wasn't mixed with the potatoes and soup I ordered because I can't have more then 3 plates
01/19/2016 09:58 PMPosted by BoPop

who cares what you think *shrugs shoulders and rolls eyes* get back on your white horse ye white knight of D3 with your ol' "generation me" berberber duhhhh

Sigh... *shrugs eyes and rolls shoulders*

I actually disagree with the concept of earning gear just because you bought the game; I initially thought your post was a joke, but perhaps not.

Games are meant to be played, and using money shouldn't shorten the experience.
01/19/2016 09:45 AMPosted by loldudejoey
01/18/2016 06:06 PMPosted by Spizzlespee
The only reason I heard them give for not giving us more stash space is that if they give us more we will only keep asking for more still. They may have given another reason, that's why I'm asking. I'm curious if there is some technical reason for not giving us something like 100 stash tabs.

I have a feeling you've played Path of Exile.. haha unfortunately we don't have the luxury of being able to spend a few $ to have 50 stash tabs :( If I miss anything from PoE, it's the stash space.

(and maybe the Passive Skill Tree haha)

I never played Path of Exile, I'm a blizzard fan boy through and through, just hearthstone and D3 recently. But now that I know that POE allows 50 stash tabs (even though you have to purchase them) it makes me even more curious why Bliz can't throw at least several more our way. In my opinion Bliz is one of the biggest and best gaming companies, surely if the scrubs on POE can do it for a few dollars Bliz can find a way to accommodate us. I mean the game is an item based game and they keep adding items, so when we get that rare perfectly rolled item, it would be nice to have adequate space to store it.

I have read a lot of posts of people stating that the reason for lack of stash space is a technical one that has to do with game performance. Even though this doesn't add up in my head, cause when we get an item, its not like its an actual addition to the game, I just think of it as about a line of text saying this little box here is actually this item we all ready have in the game with the fallowing stats: list stats here. I could understand if you had like a hundred are so items displayed all at once it could cause some lag, but they are on different tabs so it only has to load the items on the tab you are currently looking at.

Any way if devs are saying the lack of stash space is due to technical issues I will except it, even though it is hard for me to comprehend. And to end on a positive note I really enjoy D3, I just keep getting frustrated over this issue. I like puppies.
I wasn't so stressed about getting Conqueror but since I rolled a new class for this season and the loot drops from left and right so much that I soon have all the sets for Monk.. and there are these set dungeons and all where I could save them.. I have a feeling that I need that extra space really bad!

They could give these tabs for free which would be a nice QoL boost and then offer even more for some $$
01/20/2016 03:44 AMPosted by akse
I wasn't so stressed about getting Conqueror but since I rolled a new class for this season and the loot drops from left and right so much that I soon have all the sets for Monk.. and there are these set dungeons and all where I could save them.. I have a feeling that I need that extra space really bad!

They could give these tabs for free which would be a nice QoL boost and then offer even more for some $$

I haven't messed with seasons much yet, its pretty much a full time thing for me just to manage one character. You bring up some good points and I think giving us some more stash space would encourage people to try different aspects of the game. I to wouldn't mind paying some cash for stash tabs, I just wouldn't like to see any way to buy gear cause that takes the thrill of the item hunt out of the game.
This game offers far more space than they did in Diablo 1 and 2 combined. Not to mention we don't have to deal with items taking up six and eight squares anymore too.
01/20/2016 04:47 AMPosted by Harwinne
This game offers far more space than they did in Diablo 1 and 2 combined. Not to mention we don't have to deal with items taking up six and eight squares anymore too.

We could create a ton of mule characters to handle the poor stash space in D2. That isn't the case with D3. In D2 I could have more of each class than the total character slots in D3. In D3, every bit of your power comes from gear and paragon. Gear that is always changing and leaving you wondering if you want to keep it, or spend another random amount of hours farming it all over again.

In D3, we have to play a game mode we do not have any interest in, for the sake of making that game mode looking like a success, instead of the failure that it is, so we can have a pittance of space given to us over the course of an entire year.
01/19/2016 09:58 PMPosted by BoPop

Typical...out of intellectual discourse so resorts to verbal abuse. What's next thumping your chest and baring your teeth?
01/20/2016 12:46 AMPosted by havikryan

Well many of us were here since 2012 and still are.

If you don't like the meal at the restaurant then find another restaurant.

If you got more than 100 hours of enjoyment out of RoS then you got a great deal; entertainment for only $1 per hour. You got your value now either move on to another game or shut it and be happy that D3 is still being supported after one year from the release of the expansion. There are very, very few game companies that support their product for more than a year, unless it's because they a planning more expansions.

exactly, they're planning an expansion, they're not supporting the game because ''oh look how awesome we here at blizzard are we're such good guys who do so much for the consumer to have them be happy!'' no it's because `1. gives you a better reputation thus people are more likely to look at what games you sell as opposed to abandoning your games all together, and 2. it would be stupid to not support a game if a expansion is planned, it only makes sense marketing wise to still make patches for this game.

and I do enjoy my meal at the restaurant, but it could be so much more enjoyable if my spaghetti wasn't mixed with the potatoes and soup I ordered because I can't have more then 3 plates

According to your logic, there will be another expansion for Diablo 2 because they still support it and the last patch was ten years after the last expansion.

As for the restaurant, you chose to keep going to it so just be happy that they still serve you.