Can I just say a Samurai/Ronin class would be Amazing?

General Discussion
Not talking about a Ninja, as I feel those are overly popular (not bad, just overdone). Dude/tte walking around in heavy armor with a sword in its sheath in one hand, ready to draw and slash in the other.

The Wizard is from Xiansai, which was obviously an Oriental country (Who knew), with influences of both Chinese (Name) and Japan (country is Isolated because it's an Island). The various abilities could be the Moon slash (that sends out crescent moons per swing), poisons (As those are legal in Xiansai, apparantly), and various passive abilities.

The storyline could easily be a exiled Samurai turned Ronin dishonored for failing and not taking his own life, only to chance upon the Falling Star in his exile. It would be SOOOOOO COOOOOOOL.

Not really a Weeabo, just think playing as a Samurai would be cool.
No one?

I mean, I get that the Set Dungeons suck and everyone wants to complain about them, but still.
the forums have been this way for years. good ideas like yours are so irrelevant that they do not even recieve even 1 response....

so ask yourself:

if your ideas do not even receive one comment in a forum, how far away are your good fun interesting ideas from having influence over the creation or the re shaping of the game?

the answer is that they are VERY far away from having a good influence on the game.

and do you know what else? ALL good fun ideas EVERYONE comes up with are far away from having a good influence on the game. and its been like that for many years also....

the forums are dead because good ideas like yours came in by the truck load and were ignored and disposed of by the truck load.

look at the in game yellow item. the Oni Blade. the most worthless pointless flavorless boring piece of crap ever created.

go ahead look it up.

Its nothing. its not represented, nobody cares about it , the devs don't see anything in it worth investing in. its just a piece of garbage yellow rare item that is never used ever an has no point, because the devs are to ignorant to bother injecting any flavour or passion in the weapon that has influenced the culture of several nations across several hundreds if not thousands of years in the real world...

The only people left are happily enjoying the end game sets.

you wonder why there are so many posts savagely ripping them apart?

well ..I am exhausted from doing so......they just do not care.
I like this idea. For class weapons you could have a 2 handed sword, or a 1 handed sword and dagger offhand (can only equip a dagger OH, no other type of dual wield). You could also have a skill tab based on bows. Class armor would have to be a helm.

For a group buff, you could have banners they wear on their backs (similar to laws/mantras). You could then place the banner for a stronger buff (with a cool-down).
I'd personally like to see the javazon reborn along with the Druid, necromancer and assassin. Have Druid str dex and Intel depending on shapeshift or caster. Amazon str & dex depending on melee or ranged. assassin dex ,necromancer Intel. Change it up a bit man....
If I were a game developer, there'll be ninjas in everyone of my games!

I don't care if the game I'm making is pony island, there'll be ninjas riding them ponies!

Ninjas just makes everything cooler.
.......don't quit your day job.
You mistake this for a roleplaying game.

This game is just one tiny step away from allowing the demon hunters to shoot arrows with hammers, shields and swords.

Just one thing though:
...I seriously think they should have their weapons unsheathed at all times when in combat.

...and that monks should be encouraged to not wield any weapon at all...

...and that spellcasters should not use weapons to determine their base damage.

THEN... just THEN -- another melee character could be interesting.
Because it'd be a WEAPON character.

Wizard: Innate powers character that do not rely on weapons or orbs
Witch Doctor: Innate powers character that somewhat relies on power from his shrunken heads
Monk: Innate powers melee character that do not rely on gear at all
Crusader: Entirely gear dependent: Relies on weapons and armor
Barbarian: Relies on his weapons, not so much his armor; Innate defenses
Demon Hunter: Relies on his ranged weapons, not so much his armor: Innate evasion and agility

This opens up the flavor of:
Samurai: Innately powerful swordwielder who does not rely on the power of his weapon

...and a spellcaster that relies on the power of his wands to deal damage. Call it a Warlock. Or whatever.
01/19/2016 08:46 AMPosted by Irvin
If I were a game developer, there'll be ninjas in everyone of my games!

I don't care if the game I'm making is pony island, there'll be ninjas riding them ponies!

Ninjas just makes everything cooler.

No Ninja's riding them, just make Ninja Ponies.
01/19/2016 09:43 AMPosted by Frostraven
You mistake this for a roleplaying game.

This game is just one tiny step away from allowing the demon hunters to shoot arrows with hammers, shields and swords.

Just one thing though:
...I seriously think they should have their weapons unsheathed at all times when in combat.

...and that monks should be encouraged to not wield any weapon at all...

...and that spellcasters should not use weapons to determine their base damage.

THEN... just THEN -- another melee character could be interesting.
Because it'd be a WEAPON character.

Wizard: Innate powers character that do not rely on weapons or orbs
Witch Doctor: Innate powers character that somewhat relies on power from his shrunken heads
Monk: Innate powers melee character that do not rely on gear at all
Crusader: Entirely gear dependent: Relies on weapons and armor
Barbarian: Relies on his weapons, not so much his armor; Innate defenses
Demon Hunter: Relies on his ranged weapons, not so much his armor: Innate evasion and agility

This opens up the flavor of:
Samurai: Innately powerful swordwielder who does not rely on the power of his weapon

...and a spellcaster that relies on the power of his wands to deal damage. Call it a Warlock. Or whatever.

You do realize Diablo is and has always been entirely loot focused. In the first one classes were just starting and maximum stats with no mechanic differences whatsoever. The loot hunt aspect is necessary for the game--- that's like saying they should add a character in Borderlands that doesn't need to use guns.

How would you presume to handle progression for these characters that "are innately powerful". Paragon level? Or you just ding 70 and suddenly you can wipe the floor with Torment X ?

Edited to say though, I do like the parent post a lot and thinks it's a great idea. To really differentiate it from monk though I would suggest the class be inherently rather squishy with high burst but have significant ways to neutralize damage. Maybe shields or an actually useful lifesteal-type ability.
01/19/2016 10:01 AMPosted by HiroAgonist
that's like saying they should add a character in Borderlands that doesn't need to use guns.

actually yea....That's a very open ended and interesting idea...in fact your sentence is the beginning of a chain reaction of almost limitless possibilities....
01/19/2016 10:01 AMPosted by HiroAgonist

You do realize Diablo is and has always been entirely loot focused. In the first one classes were just starting and maximum stats with no mechanic differences whatsoever. The loot hunt aspect is necessary for the game--- that's like saying they should add a character in Borderlands that doesn't need to use guns.

You completely forgot about Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, somehow.
Which is ironic.
Considering Diablo 3 is the first Diablo game that does NOT have any characters or ways to customize your character outside of gear and static level up bonuses.

Spell damage progression in Diablo 1 was not weapon based, it was based on the Magic attribute.
Spell damage progression in Diablo 2 was not weapon based, it was based on the skill level of a skill .
And weapon damage in Diablo 2 was almost entirely based on the weapon, not non-weapon skills.

Kicks and shield-based skills used the boot and shield's base damage.
Smite used the shield damage, not weapon damage -- and kicks used the boots' damage.

So.
Yeah.
Diablo 3 should've let monks have an innate melee damage not based on a weapon:
Evolving up from Diablo 2.

How would you presume to handle progression for these characters that "are innately powerful". Paragon level? Or you just ding 70 and suddenly you can wipe the floor with Torment X ?

I'm GLAD you asked..!
First and foremost, paragon levels and the itemization system should've both been overhauled.
There is zero reason to..:
1: Separate paragon levels from regular character levels
2: Have paragon levels reach 1000s
3: Not start paragon leveling at character level 1, if you ignore point 1.
4: Have paragon levels be essentially the same for all characters
5: Have to put a M behind 500 and 1000 damage. Going from 5-10 to 500-1000 damage is far more than enough progression to break immersion and enter the realms of the arcade. There is no reason

How I'd do it..:
Wizards:
Spell damage based on raw paragon level and the skill's base damage

Paragon bonuses: One point per tab per paragon level
Tab 1: Mastery:
Arcane | Fire | Cold | General

Witch Doctor:
Spell damage based on a non-damage modifier on their fetishes and their paragon level:
Call the modifier "Horror" or "wrongness" -- and have it significantly different than weapon damage.
THEN allow "Horror" to spawn on other gear in far lesser amounts.

Monk:
Base the monk's unarmed damage based on their spirit and skill power -- and have each skill be in their paragon bonuses tab.

Samurai:
Skill damage based on raw paragon level and the weapon base modifier

It's not rocket science.
It just requires a freaking excel sheet and a fortnight:
For weaponless characters:
Consider:
1: Maximum realistically achieved damage without a weapon
2: Compare to maximum realistically achieved damage WITH a weapon
3: Balance the damage output curve to match or fall behind the expected weapon progression to make the class "easier" or "harder" to play.
It's fine to force a weaponless class to farm paragon levels, just like it's fine to force a weapon based character to farm for better weapons.

WHAT IS NOT FINE, HOWEVER, IS TO FORCE A NON-WEAPON CLASS TO HUNT FOR WEAPONS.

I still cannot forgive Blizzard for making Wizards base their SPELL DAMAGE off bows and axes.
Why not have the Demon Hunter fire arrows from hammers and shields..?

Spellcasters using melee weapons to deal spell damage is more wrong than borderland characters not using weapons.
While it would of course be a fantastic edition to the game and flesh out one of the most interesting-sounding areas of the current canon Diablo universe, Blizzard doesn't care enough to consider it, much less take an idea from the community.
how about mexican lucha libre wrestlers?

imagine a set that lets u piledriver the whole screen for 40000% weapon damage.

Donald Trump?

comes with an exclusive helm that resembles his real life hair. only available to this class. how freaking awesome would that be?

Kate upton?

has a end game set that dramatically increases the curb weight and size of them melons.
Ronin is a dishonored Samurai, so you're talking about two classes.
01/19/2016 02:57 PMPosted by StoneCold
Ronin is a dishonored Samurai, so you're talking about two classes.

From the OP:

The storyline could easily be a exiled Samurai turned Ronin dishonored for failing and not taking his own life, only to chance upon the Falling Star in his exile
^^ Not arguing that point. It's just that since they are on opposite sides of that class spectrum, Samurai and Ronin are likely to have a very different skill set. But you couldn't just choose the Samurai/Ronin, and play it whichever way you like. You would have to pick Samurai or Ronin, then build, skill, and play it accordingly.
01/19/2016 08:41 AMPosted by Sdb
I'd personally like to see the javazon reborn along with the Druid, necromancer and assassin. Have Druid str dex and Intel depending on shapeshift or caster. Amazon str & dex depending on melee or ranged. assassin dex ,necromancer Intel. Change it up a bit man....

I respect this, but to change it up a bit we would bring back old classes?
Dishonour and exile is hilariously cliche
01/20/2016 03:30 PMPosted by AdunSaveMe
Dishonour and exile is hilariously cliche

As is a "too powerful for the teachers" wizard, or a "Shadowy figure whose family was butchered, so now hunts those who killed their parents" :P