Windows 10 - process won't exit after 2.4 when close the game

Technical Support
Hi there,

I have the issue since the update 2.4 that when D3 will be closed (with Exit Diablo or ALT+F4) then the process won't stop and run in the background. I need to close the process with the task manager.

Battle.net also show that the game is running until I close the process manually. Tried also compatibility mode with Windows 8 and 7, don't change anything. It's not sometimes, it's always.

I've experienced this in the PTR as well, and did not have the issue with 2.3 or other earlier release of Diablo 3.

Is anyone also having this issue and @Blizz are you aware of this and is there may be a fix in the pipe? Or any sugguestion on how to fix this? :)

Thanks,
Joe
I got the same problem since i updated to Windows10 on my new PC.+

help would be nice

thx
Same problem
Same here, but the process ended after some time, did you checked?
I have waited about 5 minutes, what do you mean with "some time"? :)

I didnt had that problem with 2.3, it worked fine. First I've realized it on the 2.4 PTR last week, and now with the release version.
i think few minutes, but maybe depends on system
Windows 10 with latest updates

Just checked:
Started the game, then turned off and i had to wait about 1 min.

Maybe the time depends on how long the game was running then the issue should be checked by Blizzard
same here...
process stays in process list and dissapear after few mins, tried manualy to check updates, says "UP TO DATE!"
tried "fix game" option, didn't work, how to fix it? ;/
Yes, the process stays for a few minutes after exiting the game. Will close on its own after around 2 minutes though.
the same here
The delayed process exit for the DiabloIII.exe is not normal. You may be thinking of the delayed exit on the Agent.exe & Battle.net.exe processes. But anything longer then 5 secs delay on the DiabloIII.exe termination is indicative of a looping unresolved issue within the process itself during auto termination.

This issue did not exist prior to 2.4, and first became apparent in PTR of 2.4 and is still present in the final patch release. The likelihood of bilzz fixing it is remote at this point. Because if it made it through PTR, then it likely means they don't recognize the issue as being on their end.
I can confirm this issue as well.

Windows 10 Pro 64
Gigabyte MOBO
AMD 6300
GTX 460
Samsung SSD

Diablo 3 continues to run @ 17% CPU usage and uses 330Mb of RAM for 60 seconds after exiting.
same here... never happened before 2.4.

i53330 3.0ghz turbo 3.2ghz
8gig ddr3
geforce gtx 750 sc on top of my overclock.

blizzard really needs to get some balls and say ok the lag and performance problems are us not you the players.
or they will lose all the ppl that play and buy there games and be SOL. since they will not make anymore money.

oh and im tired of battle.net update running in the background too. after i open d3 i close it everytime to save on things running. dunno how not to make it from running.
While I understand it's frustrating having poor performance in a newer game you have to understand how hard it would be to get everyone's game to run perfect. There are probably 100'000 different P.C configurations out there, not to mention this game is for consoles too!

Yes, you can disable automatic updating. There should be a cog wheel in your Battle.net application in every game tab. It should be called game options or something. You can disable the game from updating there.
01/13/2016 09:42 PMPosted by JoshLancergt
Yes, you can disable automatic updating. There should be a cog wheel in your Battle.net application in every game tab. It should be called game options or something. You can disable the game from updating there.

People with this issue are reporting that the auto updates get re-enabled again even after they disable it in the options of bnet, possibly there is some sort of sync issue between bnet, D3 and the servers on exit of the game.
This is not just a windows 10 issue
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20508200932
01/13/2016 08:43 AMPosted by guzior
i think few minutes, but maybe depends on system
Windows 10 with latest updates

Just checked:
Started the game, then turned off and i had to wait about 1 min.

Maybe the time depends on how long the game was running then the issue should be checked by Blizzard

This is how my Win 10 Pro x64 system behaves as well.

Diablo III Retail jumps from a foreground to a background process immediately on game close, but then it just lingers in the background for a little over a minute before it shuts down copmpletely.
Same here on windows 7 64bit, it does close after about 30 seconds.
Same problem Win 10 x64, everything is fine before 2.4
Could those of you with the issue of the game taking a while to close after exiting please post your D3Debug.txt file? It's located in your main Diablo III game folder.

I'd also like to know approximately how long it's been taking for the game to close if left alone.

I'd like to know too if you are in a large clan.

I'm available in the forums Monday - Friday 6:00 am - 3:00 pm Pacific Time,
Feedback? - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Omrakos
File: http://cloud.directupload.net/8PfK

Time to Close: ~30 to 60sec

Clan: Small (5 People)