Ashnagarr vs. APD

Wizard
Currently using Energy Amor, which boosts armor by 35%. So with Ashnagarr at 100%, it's double at 70%.

With the current play style, I typically teleport into a pack of on average 5-6, which means about 50-60% damage reduction based on my APD (at 10% dmg reduction) for a few seconds.

Which bracer would you pick?
After a quick search, it appears that Ashnagarr does not even work with Energy Armor, but works with galvanizing ward.

Does anyone have a chart of how much damage monsters typically do at T10 and each level of GR?

I wonder if the benefits of using passive like blur which simply reduces damage outweigh passive like galvanizing ward which provides shield based on your life. It really depends on how much dmg monsters are dealing I suppose.
From what I have heard was that APD was much better than Ash. I haven't tested it myself but it seems to be true. All top tier wizards use APD.
01/25/2016 09:31 PMPosted by Motions
All top tier wizards use APD.

True, but the APD/ Halo/ Ice Armor setup is designed for density. If you're pushing GR's and fishing for the perfect rift, that's a great combo when you find the critters all shoulder-to-shoulder. I think most of those top players quit rifts when they're not perfect.

Shields don't care about density, and they're all synergistic with each other. For sparser rifts, I wonder if ABB/ Galvanizing Ward/ MW-Deflection/ Wildebeeste (with Unity) might not be better. The Bracers will boost all but the Wildebeeste shield.

I'm only at GR62 or so (Channeling Twister build), so I don't know how it will hold up later on.
For T10 you should be using nemesis. Failing that I'd take ashnagar's and dominance.
Why would the shield bracer work with Energy Armour????
From what I have heard was that APD was much better than Ash. I haven't tested it myself but it seems to be true. All top tier wizards use APD.

APD = scalable damage reduction depending on density. Better than ABB when there are monsters around. Zero value against certain RGs.

ABB = fixed conditional 50% DR. Less protection during the clear, more consistent performance.

Take your pick.
Yes, I think it comes down to the purpose. Defense from things like APD and dominance passive skill are highly dependent on density of the map and useless for boss fights. Defense from deflection, galvanizing, blur are more consistent and do not dependent on the number of enemies hit or killed.

I went with the ABB route, since I use both deflection and galvanizing ward when pushing for higher GR. I wish it boosted shield from wildebeest
01/26/2016 08:05 AMPosted by Freeze
Yes, I think it comes down to the purpose. Defense from things like APD and dominance passive skill are highly dependent on density of the map and useless for boss fights. Defense from deflection, galvanizing, blur are more consistent and do not dependent on the number of enemies hit or killed.

I went with the ABB route, since I use both deflection and galvanizing ward when pushing for higher GR. I wish it boosted shield from wildebeest

ABB should work well for speed runs and higher group GRs where you are ranged DPS and your support brings crowd control and/or a pull.

Pushing high leaderboard solo clears means that you almost invariably end up in melee range because things stop dying quickly and have time to move into melee on you. High solo clears also depend on good density. This naturally means that APD ends up being a better choice for pushing solo.

-dolynick
Think about it this way ABB is an Extension of you health pool. I run Hard Core with Galvanizing Barrier and Deflection fully ramped up the shield can get up to around 2.4 million toughness gets up to 611million mind you I also have over 1 million health as it is. In order to kill me the mobs will have to do well over 3 million damage to break through all my defenses. Now as I am still pushing up the ladders I seldom lose my shield and that is usually when I forget to reapply my ice armor. I prefer ABB over APD because its like adding additional health to the wizard that is able to regen faster than you are able to heal
01/26/2016 02:18 AMPosted by Feanor

APD = scalable damage reduction depending on density. Better than ABB when there are monsters around. Zero value against certain RGs.

ABB = fixed conditional 50% DR. Less protection during the clear, more consistent performance.

Take your pick.

Yes, APDs for pushing, ABB for farming is how I rationalize it.
^

I use APD for farming aswell. Too lazy to switch. But I barely ever die on T10.
I think it's just depending on taste.
Personally, I use Nemesis + ABB for farming. Up to GR60 I have no issues with it.
For farming TX and up to GR55ish things usually die way too fast to do any significant amount of damage to get through even a regular unbuffed Galvanizing Ward so Warzechians + cubed Nemesis (or the other way around) is the way to go. But I also use Orb of infinite Depth which gives an insane amount of toughness.
By "insane" you mean "roughly double". :)
Which is kinda insane right? :D
APD's rely on Ice Armor and a ring slot wasted.

APD's for pushing and ABB for everything else. No brainer.