Performance Issues on PS4 since Patch 2.4

Console Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 15 Next
01/14/2016 08:35 AMPosted by Direwolf
Ah,I misunderstood.

I took his deleted/reinstalled remark to mean he download the game.

He deleted his gamedata for D3 and then stuck the disc back in and it installs it on the harddrive then he repatches...

But sadly it doesn't seem that is a factor.
Homerjnick, what HDD you have in your PS4 since you have no this issue? I mean standard one or you've upgraded it by yourself to something bigger/faster?

I have similar issues on XB1 but no menu delays - vault with DH in town has visible lag and sometimes screen tearing. If I vault fast enough sometimes in rifts/bounties I end up in some area without mobs at all and - boom, after 1-2 seconds delay I get surrounded by horde of mobs. In high GRs it's priceless. Same thing with HOTA barb when he does furious charge few times in a row.

Other thing may be (not likely but who knows) - D3 constantly keeps trying to connect somewhere in the background and keeps checking this constantly. If your connection is not fast enough or busy with some other stuff - you can get such micro lags. May be you can try not only disabling Internet connection in Setting on PS4 but just turn it off physically - unplug Ethernet cable or turn off WiFi router to check if it helps.

I downloaded patch 2.4 for PS4 today only, I have upgraded 2Tb HDD in my PS4 which is a little bit faster than standard 500Gb HDD PS4 has shipped with, so I'll try today in the evening - if I have similar issues on PS4.

BTW, 2.4 patch file for PS4 (v 1.11) has date 12/22/15 - it's the time when it was actually created on PSN servers.
I play on PS4. The day 2.4 dropped my PS4 was on Standby mode. Woke it up when I got home and installed 2.4. No PS4 reboot required so I launched the game and played that evening without any issues. Very fluid and quick response. Put the PS4 back into Standby mode before going to bed.

Next evening after work I wake up my PS4 to see a PS4 patch is available and required if I want to use online features, so I install it. It installed and rebooted the PS4. I log back in and launch Diablo. I now get sound and frame rate stuttering up the wazoo. So for me, it didn't start until I installed the PS4 patch and rebooted the console.
So do you think the 3.15 firmware update that came out just after patch 2.4 is the culprit?

I swapped out my HD in my PS4 for a 2TB Samsung one just a few weeks ago...when I first bought my PS4 I took out the 500GB and whacked in a Samsung 1TB one but I filled that hence the swap out a few weeks ago.
No, I don't think the PS4 update 3.15 is the culprit. At least for me.

I had these problems the night previous to 3.15. I was hoping 3.15 would fix them in the morning, but it did not.

Thanks.
I noticed the issues before 3.15,

Is definitely not related.
01/14/2016 01:37 PMPosted by Diodio
I noticed the issues before 3.15,

Is definitely not related.

Did you restart the console after installing 2.4 but before the firmware was released?
I also had the issues before the firmware update - i restarted ps4 after installing 2.4 originally, and had issues on first play through, so 3.15 firmware definitely wasn't the culprit.

Really baffled as to why some have issues and some don't.
My point being is that the issues don't seem to start until after a system reboot following installation of 2.4. Hence why I ran fine on the first day. I didn't reboot the PS4 until after the firmware update the following day.
Oh i see what you mean. Interesting. Well , in the meantime I can't think of anything else to try, just waiting for some kind of word from Blizzard on this.
The questions we need to ask are:

Has anyone experienced issues following installation of 2.4 without having rebooted the PS4?

Has anyone gone stutter/lag free following installation of 2.4 having rebooted their PS4?
Hi,

Phist, I have deleted Diablo completely. I backed-up my 2.4.0 save game to USB and a 2.3.0 save is in the PSN Cloud.

I am now redownloading it from PSN Store.

This will take a while, but let me know if there's anything you would like me to try.

Best,
DW.
And Phist, to clarify:

1. I installed 2.4.0 prior to 3.15. I was under the older OS, downloaded 2.4, did not reboot and played that night before the System Update to 3.15. I was experiencing the problems prior to 3.15.

Then, the next morning, I saw 3.15 was available so I downloaded it, thinking, perhaps stupidly, that 3.15 was released in response to 2.4's bugginess, if you will.

Updated to 3.15, still buggy.

Now deleted Diablo Install and redownloading.

Stand by. :)
Its not the PS4 fault, its the patch.

The game has become nearly unplayable for me. Its just not fun.
01/14/2016 03:31 PMPosted by Diodio
Its not the PS4 fault, its the patch.

The game has become nearly unplayable for me. Its just not fun.

I agree, though I want to say I tried everything in case the Moderators ask.

I even tried deleting and generating a new save game. Same result. So it's not a Save Data corruption - unless it becomes buggy as a result of 2.4.

It's disappointing for sure. Been playing D3 since 2012 on PC. To me, the console version on PS4 was just perfect.

I'm sure it will be again, but 2.4 needs to be addressed.

Cheers,
DW.
01/14/2016 12:44 PMPosted by homerjnick
So do you think the 3.15 firmware update that came out just after patch 2.4 is the culprit?

I swapped out my HD in my PS4 for a 2TB Samsung one just a few weeks ago...when I first bought my PS4 I took out the 500GB and whacked in a Samsung 1TB one but I filled that hence the swap out a few weeks ago.

I finally installed patch 2.4 on my PS4 which already had firmware 3.15 before I started installing patch for D3 (digital version).
So I have no lags on PS4 with new patch - everything is smooth and fast as it was before. But my HDD is slightly faster than stock HDD - I have 2Tb Samsung HDD.

I'll try to move my D3 installation on XB1 to the external 2Tb Samsung HDD to see if it helps with lags issue I started having on XB1 with this patch (D3 is digital version installed on internal stock HDD).
So perhaps my fresh install of D3 2.4 Digital Version from PSN store (still downloading) onto OS 3.15 will resolve the issue, then?
We've been unable to reproduce this internally so far, so let's see if we can find a pattern and identify what's going on.

Can players affected by console performance issues let us know the following information? Apologies if you've posted parts of this in the thread already, but the format will help greatly when we dive into the information. Please fill in as much information as you can. Thank you for helping us research these issues!

Platform (Xbox One or PS4):
Region (US, Europe, etc):
Character Class:
Skills used:
Are you playing solo or party? If party, with how many other players?:
Do you notice this at specific in-game locations?:
For those experiencing menu issues, what menus?:
Description of performance issues. Is framerate dropping constant? Do you notice it sometimes more than others? Do you notice it when performing certain tasks?:
Is there any other information you think could be relevant?:
How much free space is available on your system?
  • PS4
    • Go to Settings > System Storage Management and look for "Free Space"
  • Xbox One
    • From the Home screen, press the right trigger and select My games and apps
    • On the left side of the screen, a meter shows the percent of storage space used and your total free space
Thanks for reply. Ill try to include as much info as possible:

Platform (Xbox One or PS4): PS4
Region (US, Europe, etc): Europe, disc version
Character Class: Demon Hunter
Skills used: Vault (biggest problem causer!), Companion, Multishot, Vengeance, Rapid Fire, Bolas
Are you playing solo or party? If party, with how many other players?: Solo
Do you notice this at specific in-game locations?: Most noticeable when using vault skill, severe slowdown, stutter, button delay in large outdoor maps such as northern/southern highlands and greyhollow
For those experiencing menu issues, what menus?: Small freeze when examining kanai's cube, occasional inventory freezes for 2-3 seconds
Description of performance issues. Is framerate dropping constant? Do you notice it sometimes more than others? Do you notice it when performing certain tasks?: Most noticeable when using vault in large outdoor maps. Some enclosed maps in greater rifts have not had issues.
Is there any other information you think could be relevant?: Tried all the usual things my end - reinstalled game/patch several times, rebuilt database, deleted save data, tried game without save data, reloaded save data from cloud. 2.3 ran perfectly smoothly, and all other games run without issue currently
1. Platform (Xbox One or PS4): PS4 (CUH-1215A model)
Digital Version of D3:UEE.

HDD space free: 265 GB of 500 GB.

2. Region (US, Europe, etc): North America. PSN Digital Version. My first install of this game was D3:UEE 2.3.

Under 2.3, took a Monk from Level 1 to Level 70/Paragon 75 in Torment 3 Greater Rift. I never had an issue.

Version 2.4 was my first official patch download. Since 2.4, issues have started.

3. Character Class: Hardcore Monk/Paladin (tried a new class/character, same issues)

4. Skills used: Base Attack/Dash/Wave of Hundred Fists/Exploding Palm/Sweeping Wind

5. Are you playing solo or party? Solo under 2.4. I have not played much due to these performance issues. Under 2.3, Solo/Multi, no issues whatsoever.

6. Do you notice this at specific in-game locations?: Towns/Greater Rifts/South Highlands/Leoric's Manor/Greyhollow Island/Dungeons. All in Adventure Mode.

In Towns, simply running around Tristram, the framerate/screen stutters, it's slight, but noticeable. You can see it while running back and forth towards the Enchantress' shop and Kanai's Cube/Tyreal.

In Westmarch Hideout/Town. You can see this framerate/screen stutter when you walk along the path between the cathedral and the healer or other villagers. Like Tristram, walking along this path, back and forth, I am able to recreate the stutter consistently. This was not present in 2.3.

In Maps, frequency of issue varies, but when it does, it is more pronounced, as others have said.

7. For those experiencing menu issues, what menus?: Not yet, though I tested Kanai's Cube issue and it takes a second or before it initially loads for the first time. It's a bit odd.

In terms of menus, I would say there is some sort of lag/delay between button press and loading. This may have been the case with 2.3, but whatever delay there was was imperceptible. Under 2.4, the performance issues are definitely there.

8. Description of performance issues: Temporary Frame stuttering/dropping and rubber-banding when running around above-mentioned locations or in combat. Animation Lag/Delay when buttons are pushed for abilities, e.g. Dash.

9. Is framerate dropping constant?: No, but seems to be more pronounced when onscreen activity is busier or in larger maps. In Tristram, it is noticeable. See above.

10. Do you notice it sometimes more than others? See above, please.

11. Do you notice it when performing certain tasks?: See above, please.

12. Is there any other information you think could be relevant?: See below, please.

Problems have occurred before PS4 OS 3.15 and post 3.15.

I have tried the following to resolve:

1. Disable WIFI/Internet. Problem still persists.
2. Power-cycled PS4. Problem still persists.
3. Rebuilt PS4 Database per Sony. Problem still persists.
4. Deleting Save Game Data and starting new game.
5. Deleting the entire Application Data and Save Game and downloading and fresh installing from PSN Store. Problem still persists.

At this point, I don't even need to check the maps anymore. I can simply runaround in Tristram and if the above-mentioned issue occurs there, I know in Maps I will see it, and that it will be more pronounced.

At this point, if I had this performance on a PC, I would say: 1. It's a driver, or worse, the software has suddenly out-specified the hardware, so either the CPU needs a boost, or the GPU, or some other piece of hardware.

Since May 2012, I've purchased and played this game on a PC, PS3 and this new PS4. From my PC background, with a non-programming background, I would say this is a software issue, as the hardware has not (and cannot be) changed and I would imagine, given the proprietary nature of the hardware, Blizzard has developed this patch for optimum performance on PS4's proprietary system.

It seems the stuttering is more pronounced when assets are loading, or when a asset first gets introduced. I don't know. I'm not a developer. But even button press/animation delay is no longer instant, e.g. Dash. And in some cases in a Greater Rift, the lag is pronounced, like "Oh, maybe my PC should be upgraded." Again, I don't know.

But I do know that on 2.3, performance was extremely smooth be it solo/multi, Greater Rift, or a multitude of effects going off, and was definitely the best Diablo I have ever played on any platform.

The problems I'm seeing with 2.4, I would expect to see on the PC platform with either requiring different software tweak/patch or a hardware upgrade to improve.

All other digital software including Destiny, Blood Borne, Star Wars Battlefront all work seamlessly, as does the Operating System.

See here on Game FAQs for users experiencing similar issues:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/738566-diablo-iii-ultimate-evil-edition/73139682

Thank you again for looking into this. It is much appreciated.

DW.