Performance Issues on PS4 since Patch 2.4

Console Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 15 Next
01/15/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Arctor
Platform (Xbox One or PS4): PS4
Region (US, Europe, etc): US
Character Class: Wizard, Tal Rasha build.
Skills used: Arcane Torrent, Blizzard, Hydra, Magic Weapon, Ice Armor, Teleport, alwso wearing CoE ring.
Are you playing solo or party? Solo.

Do you notice this at specific in-game locations?:

Mostly in town hubs, or in less busy scenes.

Description of performance issues. Is framerate dropping constant? Do you notice it sometimes more than others? Do you notice it when performing certain tasks?:

I wasn't convinced there was a any FR drop until I walked over by the big cathedral in Westmarch (just before where the healer is stationed). There is a long stretch where you can walk in a straight line from one region entrance to the other and at a measured interval, the FR chugs. It's brief. It's just me walking in a straight line, and it's easy to see because of the background's movement. I've never seen this in UEE before. It's always been silky smooth. It is still silky smooth, but about every 2 to 3 seconds, it burps. It's subtle. It's like a hearbeat - it's measured. It doesn't happen randomly but instead, appears to be like a ticking clock, albeit with a 2-3 second tick, as opposed to something shorter.

Is there any other information you think could be relevant?:

It may have been a coincidence but I also noticed this FR burp when the Templar says something. It started to feel like a "loading audio" burp at times. But it could have just been coincidental with the 2-3 second FR drop referenced above.

Hi, Arctor,

Thanks for posting. I was able to also duplicate the bug you reported above at the church/healer in Westmarch. Walking back and forth along that path, it stutters/lags pretty consistently.

And yes, it's never done this before. I will update my bug report.

Thanks,
DW.
I can consistently produce stutter/delay/slowdown by vaulting around southern highlands on demon hunter - noticeably worse when monsters are around. If anyone else has a demon hunter to test this with, to see if the lags are in the same places for everyone or it is inconsistent for different players it might be of some use.
Platform (Xbox One or PS4):PS4
Region (US, Europe, etc): US
Character Class: ANY
Skills used: ANY
Are you playing solo or party? If party, with how many other players?: 2-4
Do you notice this at specific in-game locations?:Rifts of all types
For those experiencing menu issues, what menus?:
Description of performance issues. Is framerate dropping constant? Do you notice it sometimes more than others? Do you notice it when performing certain tasks?: When playing with more than 2 players
Is there any other information you think could be relevant?: Invincible 0 hp monsters
01/15/2016 09:48 AMPosted by Badger
I can consistently produce stutter/delay/slowdown by vaulting around southern highlands on demon hunter - noticeably worse when monsters are around. If anyone else has a demon hunter to test this with, to see if the lags are in the same places for everyone or it is inconsistent for different players it might be of some use.

Hey, Badger,

Yes, I can now consistently reproduce the micro-stuttering/frame issue in both Tristram and Westmarch Town.

In Tristram, if I walk between Tyreal to Healer outside (past my stash, Jeweler, Enchantress, etc) and back to Tyreal, I can replicate it. It's brief pause, but it's odd. In Westmarch, as described above.

In Nephalem Rifts and Greater Rifts, Torment 3, definitely, with large mobs/effects, you see it, sometimes it's a stutter, sometimes a pause, but it's there. I would say with Monk, using Dash, or moving with explosions, etc, helps you to see it

And it definitely was not there in 2.3.
Platform - PS4:

Region - US:

Character Class: Demon Hunter

Skills used: Vault, Vengeance, Multi shot, Evasive fire

Are you playing solo or party? Solo:

Do you notice this at specific in-game locations?: T10 Rifts, 70+ Grifts, didn't matter the tile set.

For those experiencing menu issues, what menus?: Didn't notice any problems there personally.

Description of performance issues. Is framerate dropping constant? Do you notice it sometimes more than others? Do you notice it when performing certain tasks?: While vaulting, Gold farming when I kill allot of monsters at once, sometimes entering new areas.

Is there any other information you think could be relevant?: It looks and feels like lag, but it's not lag because I'm not playing online. Frames stuttering, sometimes feels like frames went missing completely. Like it goes from 60 fps to 0, skips about .5 of a second then back up to 60fps. It happens often enough to notice.
IGN made an article on this issue.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/01/15/diablo-3-update-hurts-console-performance
Yeah, I read that, too. It's very good they are looking into it.

Avernus' description above is really good.

"Frames stuttering, sometimes feels like frames went missing completely. Like it goes from 60 fps to 0, skips about .5 of a second then back up to 60fps. It happens often enough to notice."

I was doing a Nephalem Rift Torment 4, and in the Westmarch Cemetary area, it happened quite a bit. Either entering new parts of the map, or killing a lot of monsters at once, like Avernus says.
Hey all,

It came to our attention that the amount of remaining storage on your system might impact this issue. Just to make sure we're looking at every possible cause, please let us know how much storage space you have remaining if you are experiencing this issue.

How to check remaining storage space
  • PS4
    • Go to Settings > System Storage Management and look for "Free Space"
  • Xbox One
    • From the Home screen, press the right trigger and select My games and apps
    • On the left side of the screen, a meter shows the percent of storage space used and your total free space
01/15/2016 12:11 PMPosted by Diodio

Not to put down the devs or anything, but I find is slightly amusing they're not able to replicate the problem, when people over at IGN, and people here, are noticing it. I mean, do they not play their game on a normal console at home? By normal I mean not a debug or dev console.
01/15/2016 02:02 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Hey all,

It came to our attention that the amount of remaining storage on your system might impact this issue. Just to make sure we're looking at every possible cause, please let us know how much storage space you have remaining if you are experiencing this issue.

• PS4
  • Xbox One
    • On the left side of the screen, a meter shows the percent of storage space used and your total free space

Free space - 31.66 GB
I have also noticed a bit a input lag on PS4, but I can't reproduce it reliably. It's usually when I'm trying to buff up in a GR at the beginning, and I can't get my Hydra to drop during the first encounter (mapped to Square on PS4) - takes a few presses to get it out. UEE has never done that to me before.

I will provide a more detailed report when I get home from work. I have a few things I wanted to try.

I am going to try the Westmarch walk naked, with no gear, and no buffs. I'm wondering the buff-bar refactor is the culprit. I suspect this because the timing interval on the frame rate drop feels like the interval on the Convention of Elelments ring. I am going to keep watch on for the FR drop, see if it coincides with the ring changing its elemental buff.

Overall the issue isn't impacting my ability to play, but now that I've noticed it, it's one of those things that starts to stick out all of a sudden. My PS4 has a ton of free space (only games I have installed are D3, Rebel Galaxy, and Earth Defense Force 4.1).
01/15/2016 02:03 PMPosted by Avernus
01/15/2016 12:11 PMPosted by Diodio

Not to put down the devs or anything, but I find is slightly amusing they're not able to replicate the problem, when people over at IGN, and people here, are noticing it. I mean, do they not play their game on a normal console at home? By normal I mean not a debug or dev console.

They don't play the PC version, why would they play the console one?
Hey all,

• PS4
  • Xbox One

I have 265 GB of 500 GB remaining on my PS4. Under 2.3, I had the same amount of space, plus/minus whatever was required by 2.4.

I want to also point out that I installed 2.4, noticed the issues and as a last-resort possible fix, deleted the entire game and did a fresh install of the digital version. The problem persists.

Thanks,
DW.
I play on ps4 and Xbox one my ps4 is mainly offline and the game lags badly. I thought it was the ps4 so I changed the hard drive with a sSD and it's still lagging.
I have 400GB of free space on my ps4 so i doubt that is the cause of the problem. Just to add, I did try a new game after deleting save, so no gear, no buffs, no skills etc, and just walking up and down in the very first quest, was able to notice a bit of screen tearing.
playing on my XB1, my witch doctor was having major frame glitches. I thought it may be the sheer number of pets I had on the screen, full skill compliment as well as zunimassa's set bonus and corrupted ashbringer, but then it also happened when I died and before I resummoned. Was running story through act 3 and 4 when I ran into the worst of it. act five has went smoothly so far.
I don't have any issues with 2.4...free space is 981GB...I have a 2TB drive.

This reminds me of Creative Assembly studios who released Alien Isolation and had the same issues with that game and the reason was they developed and tested their game on developer PS4 units rather than consumer PS4's...the models are different.

Once they tested on consumer units they saw the issue and patched it.

I presume Blizzard are testing on consumer units though...
Go to Settings > System Storage Management and look for "Free Space"

265.7 GB

01/15/2016 02:14 PMPosted by Arctor
I am going to try the Westmarch walk naked, with no gear, and no buffs.

Ok, naked (no gear), no buffs, game still stutters on the long run along Westmarch's catherdal side. Dismissed my Follower, so it was just me, and got the same result. One drop in framerate coincides with high architecture flowing into view. The other happens near the Westmarch healer.

01/15/2016 04:00 PMPosted by homerjnick
Once they tested on consumer units they saw the issue and patched it.

Not to mention the differences in components these days based on time of manufacture; original launch PS4s had different Bluetooth chipsets (with weird issues) than those that were manufactured recently.
PS4 free space: 69.48 GB

Had around the same with 2.3 and no issues.
Platform: PS4
Region: US
Character Class: Barbarian
Skills used: Mainly notice it using Leap with the Lut Socks. Around the 2nd and 3rd jump, input lag is really noticeable. Like 1/2 second before the 2nd or 3rd jump takes off.
Are you playing solo or party?: Solo
Do you notice this at specific in-game locations?: First noticed it at Greyhollow Island.
For those experiencing menu issues, what menus?: Haven't had any problems here.
Description of performance issues: A few minor framerate drops. Most noticeable issue is the input lag mentioned above.
Is there any other information you think could be relevant?: See below.
How much free space is available on your system?: Only about 20GB... curse these 500GB drives. Guessing this could be an issue.