Possible solution to rubber banding

Technical Support
I've been having bad lag and rubber banding since November last year, and I got fed up with it when 2.4 since I really wanted to enjoy the new patch. Blizzard wanted to blame my ISP, and told me to get a VPN.

Got a VPN, seemed to fix the problem but only until I rebooted or turned my computer off. When I turned my PC back on, rubber banding was back, even with the VPN. Uninstalling and reinstalling the VPN fixed the problem again. Sounds strange, right? Gets stranger...

Recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and much to my surprise the problem was gone when a fresh install of D3 finally finished downloading. I wasn't going to question it, just accept it. Until the problem came BACK after I restarted my computer for the first time in Windows 10.

I've discovered something interesting, and I can't promise this will work for you, but you can try it.

Go into Device Manager (right click my computer/this PC, click properties, then select device manager from the left),

Expand the network adapters section and find the network adapter you use to connect to the internet for D3 (you might have wired and wireless adapters, you need to select the one you're actually using)

Now right click and Uninstall. It will ask if you want to remove the device from your system, click yes.

Finally, up top click Action, then scan for hardware changes. This will automatically add the adapter back to your computer.

Now, WITHOUT RESTARTING YOUR PC (even if it tells you to), start up Bnet/D3 and if your problem is the same as mine, your lag will be gone. It will be back again as soon as you turn off or reset your computer, but you can fix it by once again removing and re-adding the network adapter.

Please let me know if this works for you. I have no idea what the technical rationale is here but it's working for me.
I come from another thread but I must say this is almost exactly how I happened upon this myself. This method works for those having done a clean reinstall of their OS either downgrading back to Windows 7 or having Windows 10. Some of my friends whom I've shared this with have been found to have permanently fixed their internet woes.

If you are stretching or even considering a complete re-format of your PC, please TRY THIS METHOD FIRST.

Can't hurt to try before going to that extreme.
I have tried this on two PCs, both plagued with the rubberbanding issues. One runs windows 7, the other windows 10 and have found that it has cleared both their problems.
You guys rock! I've had this lag problem since the beginning of season 4 and it was the reason I stopped playing that season. I came back for season 5 thinking the lag would be fixed but nope... it was still here. Anyways, I'm on windows 7 and I tried this method and much to my surprise it actually worked. The game is SO much more enjoyable without the constant spiking and 2-3 second delay on my skills. Thank you for this!
Didn't fix my connection issue, unfortunately. Though my issue isn't "lag" so much as a complete inability to connect. I'd GLADLY take lag because that would at least mean I could play the game. Instead I get either error 3007 when authenticating or error 3006 when trying to resume game in the rare occasions that I can actually get that far. I really am starting to worry that I'll miss this season's rewards due to being outright incapable of playing, which would drive the completionest in me absolutely insane.
I can confirm this works, at least for me.
Thanks man, now I can enjoy the game again.
You, good sir, are a season saver. So nice to be able to play without that constant rubberbanding. I can finally enjoy D3 again. Hopefully this gets a sticky.
Yeah, this appears to fix it 100%.

It's a complete pain in the !@# to do, though.
Commenting for later use... Hope this helps my team out
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/20508202252?page=1#2

This worked for me. I'd like to consider myself as not ignorant when it comes to networking, but this honestly goes right over my head. I don't understand how this works in the slightest. Wanting a more... permanent solution, however.
Marked As Solution
For a more permanent solution, go into your adapter properties from Network and Sharing Center, and disable "QoS Packet Scheduler". Do NOT disable QoS in your driver properties, as newest protocols require that for highest speeds, like ac.

Tested out here, works great even after reboots. Reinstalling the driver is probably disabling Windows QoS until reboot.
01/28/2016 08:14 PMPosted by Chastity
For a more permanent solution, go into your adapter properties from Network and Sharing Center, and disable "QoS Packet Scheduler". Do NOT disable QoS in your driver properties, as newest protocols require that for highest speeds, like ac.

Tested out here, works great even after reboots. Reinstalling the driver is probably disabling Windows QoS until reboot.

You are a genius!

What does this mean though? The 2.4 PTR client and other games are not being affected by this problem even with QoS on, so does it mean it's ultimately D3's fault? Do applications usually disable QoS automatically? Is QoS responsible for identifying priority applications and D3 is slipping under the radar? I'm forwarding this result to Blizzard but I highly doubt they really care to listen to me anymore. How exciting we've made real progress in diagnosing this though!
I just started to get bad rubber banding today out of the blue for the first time ever.

I have 2 ISPs at my house for redundancy (ATT and Comcast) and the issue was on both. I even upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and still happened. But, my friend, I'm here to tell you that your post worked. I don't know why it works. But it works. Thank you!
How is this real? After all these headaches.. this works?
01/28/2016 11:34 PMPosted by Uppercut
How is this real? After all these headaches.. this works?

Don't question it. Just go with it.
01/28/2016 08:14 PMPosted by Chastity

You are a lifesaver. This is the fix that works. Just cranked the grift up and not a speck of lag and also noticed at the end when upgrading gems that it's back to instant when you click on it. I would click on upgrade and maybe a second or 2 before it went through. Either sticky this post or Chastity you should make a solution to lag post. Thank you.
+1 here as well - seems to have fixed my issues....
01/28/2016 09:28 PMPosted by Kohmei
What does this mean though? The 2.4 PTR client and other games are not being affected by this problem even with QoS on, so does it mean it's ultimately D3's fault? Do applications usually disable QoS automatically? Is QoS responsible for identifying priority applications and D3 is slipping under the radar? I'm forwarding this result to Blizzard but I highly doubt they really care to listen to me anymore. How exciting we've made real progress in diagnosing this though!

The MS component reserves bandwidth (by default 20%) for OS requirements and applications. For some annoying reason Diablo 3 traffic can get flagged by that component as needing to be throttled.

You could also try and removing the overhead by editing the group policy for "Limit reservable bandwidth" for QoS Packet Scheduler. Change setting from 80 to 0.
Well, was good last night and is still disabled, but I get on to play today and WOW! 30sec to a full min freezes. So I am running worse than before now. WTH Blizzard? Chime in and tell us what is going on or at least figure it out.
Took an extra step that seems to have me running again, for now. Where you go to uncheck QoS above I clicked configure and made sure flow control is set to tx and rx plus went down to receive buffer which is 256 by default and ramped it up to 1024. In short these are all band-aid fixes and we will need some actual input from you Blizzard. We can't always rely on others to fix our problems for us.