reflect damage...

Demon Hunter
seriously what the !@#$ are you supposed to do? i can clear low 70 Grifts but if i hit one pack with reflect damage i might as well restart the Grift got right to the end of a 72 with 8 min to go, a pack of shielding reflect damage saw me out. ive played DH since the game came out i know the class i know the play style i know the builds but this is %^-*ed up
To be honest it's pretty bull!@#$. Even more so if you're using the UE set like I am. The only two things you can do are swap out Wolf Companion for Shadow Power - Gloom; this will give you the life on hit and DR to survive the reflect bursts, or just skip them completely. I was able to take down RD packs at 74 with S.Power but I'm not entirely sure if it's worth skipping out on the wolf especially in combination with the fire proc from CoE....

If you absolutely must kill them then use SP - Gloom. Otherwise just skip, they take way too much effort and if it has something else that is extremely dangerous or annoying like Thunderstorm that's an autoskip for me.
My personal best is a 76 in Europe realm with UE but i use SS healing vapors instead of vault.

Ofc, i just HAD to get a reflect pack before RG on that particular run: managed to kill it but it got me once as well.

Up until 70, i can manage with vault but higher then that, if i get reflects without SS HV, i'm pretty much screwed.
02/05/2016 10:20 PMPosted by hitmanhardin
seriously what the !@#$ are you supposed to do? i can clear low 70 Grifts but if i hit one pack with reflect damage i might as well restart the Grift got right to the end of a 72 with 8 min to go, a pack of shielding reflect damage saw me out. ive played DH since the game came out i know the class i know the play style i know the builds but this is %^-*ed up
If you know the playstyle....why did you try and fight them?

What's that saying: "The true master only engages the worthy opponent". GR's your opponent is the clock, not the affixes and sometimes a GR simply isnt doable for your build.

Dont let your ego make you greedy, sometimes you have to admit a pack just isnt doable in a reasonable amount of time. I will admit there have been times certain affixes and mob types have killed me and it has made me resolved to beat them to prove some stupid point that it's doable. Ultimately I end up losing more time than if had have opted to skip, and looking back I laugh at how the game made me so stupid as to lose sight of the actual goal of the GR - to beat the clock. Dont be ashamed to skip out of some silly personal pride or similar rubbish.

Case in point for my DMO orb wiz is hell witches who have shielding, electrified, frozen, and vortex. The 4 affixes are bad, but the combat style of hell witches is jsut not melee or area damage friendly and makes them pure time leeches.
TL;DR : Git gud and don't engage reflect packs if you know they are going to kill you.

Or just fish moar rifts so you don't get reflect. The whole GR endgame is basically rift fishing anyway,
I'll give you a protip.

Skip the reflect dmg mob.
I'll give you the real protip.

You can dodge RD damage by timing vault.
02/05/2016 11:27 PMPosted by Clarify
To be honest it's pretty bull!@#$. Even more so if you're using the UE set like I am. The only two things you can do are swap out Wolf Companion for Shadow Power - Gloom; this will give you the life on hit and DR to survive the reflect bursts, or just skip them completely. I was able to take down RD packs at 74 with S.Power but I'm not entirely sure if it's worth skipping out on the wolf especially in combination with the fire proc from CoE....

If you absolutely must kill them then use SP - Gloom. Otherwise just skip, they take way too much effort and if it has something else that is extremely dangerous or annoying like Thunderstorm that's an autoskip for me.

Just wait till they have DR and shielding..../facepalm
My vote is to skip nothing. If you need to skip packs you are playing at too high of a level.
I forgot how bad reflect damage was until I started playing UE again.

I know it's not the best strategy, especially when fighting against a clock, but I typically just slow my roll down and burst during those small windows in between it's up-time. Once I start taking damage, I stop shooting and move around (or point at some other targets).
But sometimes it's just too hard to skip when there are mobs everywhere. It's crazy as I did 70 yesterday (I know it's low.) I had to kite RD back and then move forward. Waste of time.
02/06/2016 12:28 AMPosted by rh1
I'll give you a protip.

Skip the reflect dmg mob.

Sod that - just play something else - wiz for eg. This class is a mess still.
this is stupid. ive been playing diablo since D1 and reflect damage is definitely a new thing. It honestly makes no sense.. in most of the maps for Grift dungeons you cant even see inside the rooms if you are soloing with a DH so how the F*&# am i supposed to even begin to time out the RD? its a stupid skill on the elites and needs taken out. there is no call for such a harsh punishment for damage.. especially when they have RD and Shielding... like seriously? do you honestly want us to spend 8 minutes on one elite pack? thats setting up for failure. Have to restart if i hit more than one.. sometimes 1 is enough to set the whole thing off at 70+
01/03/2017 08:24 PMPosted by Cap
this is stupid. ive been playing diablo since D1 and reflect damage is definitely a new thing. It honestly makes no sense.. in most of the maps for Grift dungeons you cant even see inside the rooms if you are soloing with a DH so how the F*&# am i supposed to even begin to time out the RD? its a stupid skill on the elites and needs taken out. there is no call for such a harsh punishment for damage.. especially when they have RD and Shielding... like seriously? do you honestly want us to spend 8 minutes on one elite pack? thats setting up for failure. Have to restart if i hit more than one.. sometimes 1 is enough to set the whole thing off at 70+

Reflect Damage is not new. In D2, players encountered champion packs with Thorns auras which is essentially RD. Furthermore, the Oblivion Knights in Chaos Sanctuary were notorious for casting Iron Maiden, which reflected one's damage back at them.

Personally, I have always liked RD because it makes the player adapt his gearing and gameplay strategy to overcome it.
Its poison, there is no counter play. Completely ruins the game.

Well, good news, Blizzard knows this too which is why its being fixed next patch.
This is a really old topic, get some All Res and there is no problem with RD. I dont really notice it with my DH and I dont even have any diamonds in gear.
Necro'd topic. Can we please get a mod to close this thread? This is especially true with Reflect being patched to something you can dodge or smokescreen to prevent damage?
Yes this is a necro topic, but if you had virtual ticket or were in blizzcon they had a topic about patch on Rd, trash mob progression, jumping mob and mob density.