"Retire from Seasons" option?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
i felt the same way last season (4). I got bored so i switched to HC.
Seasons should be really quick, like 1 month tops, no need to make a patch everytime (unless a small one that fix possible broken group metas)...
This feature... I need it since yesterday because I found the missing 'piece' for my LoN build on non-seasonal... on seasonal.

I would press the 'retire' button today if it came available in any form (even if it excluded my participation in this season until the start of S6).
This would be a good idea now that seasonal exclusive items won't interfere with leaderboards.
I think this would be a bad idea and waste of programming. It actually seems like a cheat to be able to transfer over your stuff early.

If your non seasonal character has better gear not sure why they don't have better gems. In any case, I think you should adjust yourself to the game rather than asking for the game to adjust to you. It really isn't that much hardship to level up gems, you say you want to play non seasonal but really what the heck are you going to do anyway if you aren't going to do rifts.
02/10/2016 11:31 AMPosted by Hamiltonz

tl;dr Love the idea. I would like to retire individual heroes and rebirth another.

This definitely should never be allowed.
Completely agree, I'm personally finished with season 5 and don't want my non-season account to become irrelevant either.

Three months is too long, I'd like to get my rebirthed wiz back into my roster again. If others want to bot'n'cheat for their epeen another 2 months that's fine by me just let me decide how long my own season lasts.
02/13/2016 08:35 PMPosted by Naras
I think this would be a bad idea and waste of programming. It actually seems like a cheat to be able to transfer over your stuff early.

If your non seasonal character has better gear not sure why they don't have better gems. In any case, I think you should adjust yourself to the game rather than asking for the game to adjust to you. It really isn't that much hardship to level up gems, you say you want to play non seasonal but really what the heck are you going to do anyway if you aren't going to do rifts.

How is it cheating? Especially now that there are no season-only items, transferring items over to NS "early" offers no advantage whatsoever, except to consolidate gear that would otherwise be separated and spread out between Season and NS.

The endgame is the endgame, seasons or not. Yeah, I'm at the point in Season 5 where I'm basically just playing bounties, rifts, and GRs... and I'd much rather do that with my NS character.

The game was originally NS. Then Blizzard decided to do this seasons thing and basically rendered NS irrelevant. A retire option would have virtually no negative impact that I can come up with, save for a reduction in seasonal players.

What it would do is allow players to play the game the way they want to, to not feel forced into an arbitrarily three-month-long season if they've managed to accomplish their own personal goals before that time.
02/15/2016 08:01 AMPosted by zoothe
How is it cheating? Especially now that there are no season-only items, transferring items over to NS "early" offers no advantage whatsoever

Oh I don't know, maybe it's the legendary gems on your seasonal character that are showing as at least 7 levels higher than your non seasonal character, plus whatever other items you have in stash that makes your non season characters look sick

If it offers no advantage, then you can wait like the rest of us
Then Blizzard decided to do this seasons thing and basically rendered NS irrelevant.

At the insistence of the players.

to not feel forced into an arbitrarily three-month-long season

you went in knowing the season was 3 months long.
Your mentality is the same as if I was to say, At season end I am forced to play non season. At least that statement is more correct than yours, If you want to go back to non season, you can, At season end, I can't go back to season.
02/15/2016 08:55 AMPosted by Steve
Oh I don't know, maybe it's the legendary gems on your seasonal character that are showing as at least 7 levels higher than your non seasonal character, plus whatever other items you have in stash that makes your non season characters look sick

If it offers no advantage, then you can wait like the rest of us

My gems on my seasonal are higher because I've been playing seasons instead of NS. They're also no more than 4 levels higher on my main DH. Taking those gems over to my NS offers no "advantage" over anyone else, especially since the idea of competition in Diablo 3 is laughable. Saying it's an advantage implies it puts me in a better place than, say, you. So go ahead... explain to me exactly how it does that.

At the insistence of some players.

Fixed.

02/15/2016 09:05 AMPosted by Steve

you went in knowing the season was 3 months long.
Your mentality is the same as if I was to say, At season end I am forced to play non season. At least that statement is more correct than yours, If you want to go back to non season, you can, At season end, I can't go back to season.

Forced to play NS for what? A whole week?

I'm still waiting for you, or anyone, to put forth a decent argument/reason as to why a retire option should not be implemented.
The idea of retiring early in seasons means technically one could just enter and exit a season anytime they please without limitations of itemization being either season or non-season.

That idea ruins the concept of seasons.

The idea, the concept, of seasons, is the race. The leaderboard. The actually cosmetic things that cannot affect your game experience in any way other than emotionally. Things like banner designs or transmogs. Wings, pennants, or portrait frames. There's so much that could be added here. Colors / elements to weapons, color / style of hair, etc. It's all completely unnecessary to the gameplay and is a perfect inclusion for seasons. You know how many mmorpgs use some type of cash shop for purely visual items? A whole lot. And they make bank.

That being said, I think that forcing the stash tab on seasons was an astronomically stupid idea and is the real problem here. If stash tabs weren't behind the season wall, this thread wouldn't even exist because those who played seasons specifically for the stash tab, like OP and myself, would never have needed to play seasons in the first place. I still would have for the pet, because getting a non-cosmetic pet that can pick up gold for you is pretty op. I'm still absolutely miffed that they made cosmetic things non-cosmetic while still using the cosmetic term, but that's less about introducing things that can be useful and more about the concept of something being legitimately cosmetic in the first place.

Which I think brings up a good point. The non-cosmetic tree pet people received in seasons was also season-exclusive just like the stash space was. Much easier to get, of course, but nonetheless it's literally in the same exact boat. There's barely any qualms about that because it does a service that is, inarguably, extremely useful. Picking up gold is a non-thing for many players, including myself, who have billions. Dozens, or hundreds of billions. I bet there's someone in this very thread who had over a hundred billion gold at one point. But the idea that the pet can pick up gold so you don't have to is useful. It makes most any gameplay more money&time efficient.

This pet, along with the stash tab, do or give important things to many players. Some may want them, some may need them, and others may never care, but it's Blizzard that's put them behind a seasonal wall. While I do not agree that seasons needs a retire option, as that goes against the idea of a seasons, I do, however, believe that we shouldn't have to play seasons to get something that can actually affect your gameplay. How many people here would be ok with all the seasonal requirements being on hardcore mode instead? It's basically the same thing, bar a few minor differences. It would be undesirable to many since hardcore is for a niche community who definitely exist yet need no incentive to exist. Yet here we are with seasons.

Blizzard, take a play out of the handbook of Hardcore mode. That game mode doesn't need anything and is not special in any way. Hell, it's actually counter-productive to play hardcore since you lose your equipped gear when you die. Yet there is a community, however small in comparison to softcore it may be, the community exists. Even knowing the negatives, People still play hardcore. Shocking. And you stand in front our faces and blatantly deny the idea this community exists by placing gameplay affecting additions to seasons.

We're not stupid, Blizzard. We may bicker about what is good or bad based on.. obviously very wildly differing opinions and experiences, but there's no reason to treat us as fools. We are not children, and the fact that you continue to treat us as such makes you look like children.

Bad, Blizzard. Now go to your room and think about what you've done.
Me too. I would like to retire from season already.
@Bgrmyster2

I agree with virtually everything in your post, but let me pose a couple questions:

If, as you say and I agree, the concept of seasons is the race (leaderboards), then how would a retire option negate that concept? The people who are in seasons for that reason are still able to play as long as the season goes. In the race analogy, it actually clears the racetrack of people who don't really want to be there.

Secondly, as you say, the retire option would mean an end to the limitation of itemization being season or non season. Why in the world is that a bad thing? Especially now with no season-only items. What purpose, other than to make people continue seasons, does this serve? And barring that, what good does it do the player to segregate their gear like this?

Funny thing is that I'd probably play seasons to get the cosmetic rewards, or at least the ones I felt were within my grasp, and wouldn't have a problem doing so, if seasons didn't make my NS characters feel obsolete. For me, this is the biggest reason to implement a retire option.
02/09/2016 06:09 PMPosted by Aurin
02/09/2016 06:06 PMPosted by BobWitchDR

Glad you're not opposed to our having something you won't use. Thanks for the support.

Do you people even understand the concept of a "season" character?

Do you even lift, though?
02/15/2016 10:16 AMPosted by Bgrmystr2
The idea, the concept, of seasons, is the race. The leaderboard.

stopped reading here:

BOTBOARD.

seasons is only for stash and portraits.

and will always be if blizzard dont do nothing to solve it.
02/15/2016 07:26 PMPosted by zoothe
let me pose a couple questions:

Yeah, I was thinking about that after I posted, and had a feeling you'd ask that. Soo.. long post is long. :x

I remember you had stated you didn't play Ladder (seasons) in Diablo 2 so I'm thinking it's probably simply a difference of opinion on how they should be. Also, I think it requires thought into how Diablo 3's Seasons are inherently different than Diablo 2's Ladders.

In D2, Ladder was designed around the time it took place and had exclusive items. The items that would roll over would be the hype that got people excited for ladder ending. That's it's thing. It was different from D3 in such a huge way because it created incentive for people to play ladder while not forcing them into it. The items from Ladder were also available in single player offline and open Battle.net. (Open B.net for playing offline characters online)

Playing the ladder allowed players to find and create gear that weren't available to find or craft on non-ladder. When it ended, all the items rolled over and anyone who wanted the ladder-only items could be gained by finding those who had them. Some people played ladder just to find and craft items to transfer to non-ladder. Leaderboards were there for those who wanted the rush. Reward obviously being your character name plastered on top of everyone else on a list anyone can see.

If you didn't want to play Ladder, you didn't have to, and you could simply find someone with the gear. There wasn't a whole lot of it on non-ladder, so it was naturally rare and highly coveted, but with enough players, you could generally find the item you wanted. Most of the time, there was enough rolled-over ladder-only items to cover the time in which the next ladder would go on for. That ignores the fact that every roll-over is the same ladder-only items being transferred over, so with each ladder ending, it increased the amount of ladder-only items on non-ladder. With a small but solid pool of ladder items in non-ladder, it created a route to trade and interact with the others in the community. Sure it wasn't perfect since the system obviously started slow and breaks down with a severe lack of players, but with over time and with enough players it functions spectacularly exactly the way it was designed.

Offline mode (and Open Battle.net) had all the ladder-only items and thus allowed anyone who wanted to just simply play and find and craft gear without having to play online and transfer items from ladder to non-ladder or even interact with the community in general.

Closed Battle.net realms (IE: for characters hosted on Blizzard servers, not your hard drive) had less hacked items and botters, and unfortunately no it did not get rid of them entirely. That's impossible. It did have much less though because players could freely use offline to bot, hack, cheat, and mod the game to their heart's content and legitimately noone else would be affected by it because it's 100% local.

Diablo 3 has no open battle.net, nor offline mode, so those who use 3rd party programs have to go on Blizzard's servers and cause problems for everyone. We don't have any way to trade the exclusive items once they roll over, so it makes any season-only items pointless. This is overshadowed by the fact that season-only items were specifically moved to non-season, instead of simply what you found, thus completely ruining the idea of itemization from season to non-season.

---

When comparing the two, you may be right. We clearly cannot treat Seasons on D3 the same way we treated Ladder in D2. Ladder had a well-designed system that, while not perfect, worked both in theory and reality. Seasons can't really use any of the systems that Ladder had in place. We do not have an offline mode for people to find ladder-only items without affecting non-ladder online realms. We also don't have trading because.. botters.. which makes no sense since if we actually had an offline mode, most botters would bot there and leave the online realms alone, dramatically reducing the effect botters had on the online community and thus not requiring trading to be removed. We also would need a specific set of season-exclusive gear that would not divide builds in two and never change. Thus as time goes on, you could find seasonal items on non-season characters. No muss, no fuss. One can dream..

The race will always be there, and the biggest concern I have is that "dropping out" of the season race gives you gear before you should get it. That's based off a Ladder-design perspective though, and I think it's fair to say that because everything is untradable and nothing is exclusive, it may be alright to add an option to, as you say, drop out. Uou'd be ok playing seasons for cosmetic rewards, but you don't want your items divided in two, and I think that's a totally fair point since cutting our items in two was a Ladder-design. The race results would be skewed if D3 allowed our non-season inventory to be used in season, (because the botters clearly don't do that already, right? :P) but suffice to say if every season character we had started fresh level 1, only had three rebirths, and all seasonal items both equipped and stashed rolled from season to non-season if you retired, I think it might be worth a look at. That or allow the option to retire a single character anytime or all characters + stash at the same time.

02/15/2016 07:52 PMPosted by ScarfDeath
stopped reading here:

Yes, leaderboards have a botting problem. I am well aware of this, but that does not mean the leaderboards were created for botters. There will always be selfish brats who will do anything to get ahead at the expense of others. And while the leaderboard is a very minuscule thing to worry about, it's still a legitimate concern. So is the disk space and network capacity that the botters can take up simply by botting, potentially causing problems with the servers. They'll always affect us in D3 even if it's not in front of our faces.
Good post!

The leaderboards have never made that much sense to me. I mean, it's basically a race to see who can randomly find all the required gear and then fish for the perfect GR. Sure there's definitely skill required on an individual and group level, but the first part is simply playing as much as you can for the perfect gear. If people insist that this equals competition, seasons seem to be a good place for it. Just don't insist that everyone one else play (Blizzard).

That being said, I don't feel that seasons can't be fixed. I really enjoyed doing some of the conquests. The Thrill and Avarice were fun. If Blizzard could find a way to improve on the journey concept, it could detract from the botting problem.

And they should make a retire option, too :)
I believe that there is no need for this function and is really just wimping out of the season early. The need to start from scratch every season is exactly why it is so fun. The need for the function of retiring early is a way for people to take a very pedestrian approach to the game. The challenge of obtaining high paragon levels and a good gear set isn't that tall of an order. After only playing this season for 2 days i am paragon 385 and i know i am late to the season if i had been playing since the start i am sure i would be well into 1000+ range.

In response to people wanting to dump seasonal gear early to NS i believe is ridiculous as it is again such a weak approach to the game. Seasonal gear should be opened up to non season at the seasons end as drops. When the season ends seasonal characters should not have any of their gear sent over to non season. This removes the complaint about having to wait to transfer gear completely. Now that D3 has moved on to a season structure the non season part of the game is for casual play just like it was in D2. Push you limits in season play and then when the new season comes around push harder and enjoy the new builds and content. Stop trying to hold onto old characters the game has changed quite a bit so your approach to the game should also change.
You should be able to retire just a character, and have that character's items, including their personal inventory, all transferred to non-season. I'd like to retire my DHs so that I can combine gear, but I want to keep playing seasons with my crusader.