Chat Box is too large. Please let us customize it.

General Discussion
I like the chat and things displayed. The filters are nice. The chat options are good.

However: The Chat Box Is Too Large (and not intuitive to customize-- is this possible?).

This takes up ~25% of my screen and I keep accidentally clicking people in chat when I'm trying to click down and to the left.

I don't want to hide it all. I'd hoped "font size" would help, but it doesn't adjust the box size.

I'd like to see elites displayed somewhere else, especially if they're still aggro'd and not dead-- but this isn't even the issue right now. I'd be fine with using the chat box like a mini-map, hoping it doesn't get spammed away by people talking, but the size interferes with gameplay.

Yes, I know it's playable and probably not a huge deal to most people. It just doesn't seem too absurd to ask to be able to customize what takes up so much space and removes a large portion of the screen from being accessed.
I've had 2 HC characters die from gear image popping up & taking the whole left side of view able game window when I needed to move to the bottom left out of danger.

A split second mistake like that and it's over.

One of the most frustrating deaths from very poor planning on Blizz's part for our inability to resize chat window or simply turn it off in options.
hiding or locking the chatbox would be a valuable option. ive had too many misclicks when im going to the bottom left of the map and instead i end up whispering some random person with 1 2 3 4 etc.

even with the social aspect of the game being great, locking the chatbox to prevent misclicks would be a huge improvement.
the whole god damned interface sucks bro. D3's smooth action arcade style combat is the only thing savin' this game.

the hud sucks, the interface sucks, and their ideology to make it "so everyone just has to deal with the same thing" is effin' stupid.

i'm remembering an interview where they responded on being able to customize the hud and why they chose to make it the piece of dookie it is.

"Yea we know some people like it when they can move things around on their screen but then SOME games are just straight out of the box the way they are and that's how we wanted to make D3" (not an exact quote)

He might as well have said "Yea, we know customization makes games superior and customers very happy but we wanted D3 to not be that rather, inferior to what it could be. So we hope you all enjoy the giant gargoyle and angel that cover your giant health and mana globes surrounding your giant skill bar under your tiny buff bar also under the quest pop ups all in between the massive chat log, massive map, and... omg, I just realized how bad it really is.

it's sooooo bad. and in your face, forever.

dumb dumb dumb

the console version hud looks great if I was looking at the right vids/screenshots

Ironically though console players don't have to click on the screen to play so they could actually get away with having things all up in their face without it effecting character control.

I guess i'm having one of those nights I ponder, "And how are these guys making so much money for this?" In this biz, is the community forums not your true job review? And in defense of game developers, they are one of the few products that have forums allowing us to come and gripe and moan, so kudos to them for that.

There's nowhere for me to go and complain actively about how much my new fridge sucks balls.
02/18/2016 09:09 PMPosted by Casually
valuable option.

this is what we do not have enough of

-_-
YESSSSS!!!!!!

i've sounded off about this more times than i can count

just give me an option to disable the chatbox COMPLETELY

i play solo most of the time, so i wont miss it

lol PLEASE!!!

i'm tired of having that damn thing pop up when my mouse hovers over the SW quadrant of the screen
Also, make the announcement for new post in communities go away\not happen when in game. These tend to get in the way.

Make the new portrait announcement more opaque (or be able to turn off) and\or not be there as long (ie hitting the next 100 tier) in game. It's right smack in the middle of everything or at least wait until you are back in town or at rift\g-rift\bounty completion.
The UI should be able to be cleared.
I have died sooooo many times because the crappy ui.

I don't want to chat.
I don't want to check my inventory.
I don't want to click on party members.

My health could be 70% smaller.
Resources make them small % of total left number.

You know .......
Got a game that requires clicking all over the screen.
It makes no sense to have 65% of the area unclickable.

Add to that doing bounties. A massive window opens...
Do you want to zone to xyz area.. Like that couldn't be a tiny notification

Such a bad ui...
Terrible really...
Does changing the font size fix this?
And by customize you mean hide entirely, because seriously between the chat box and the stupid clickable follower/pet icon the HUD is a dangerous place for squishy DHs.
02/19/2016 10:20 AMPosted by Bosky
And by customize you mean hide entirely

yes! pretty much.

all I need is a health/resource globe (small-not surrounded by art) and a buff bar.

the skills are nice to see when you're first working a build (should be toggle on/off), to get accustomed to cool down's, but once a player gets used to that timing even the skill bar is unnecessary. buffs are always good to see but should be moveable.

the mini-map is ok and helpful, but a player should still be allowed to slide it where they want or toggle it off if they choose.

there's no reason in this decade to not have a completely customizable hud. DDO has been doing it for years....
02/19/2016 09:33 AMPosted by CrayZ
Does changing the font size fix this?

from op
02/18/2016 08:29 PMPosted by Jaeds
I'd hoped "font size" would help, but it doesn't adjust the box size.

[/quote]

it only adjusts the text size within the preset chat box size
I really do appreciate the new color of Death Breath and the pet can pick up gold now.

But this problem of the chat box being too big and known in HC as the "click here and die box", I can only wonder why Blizz does not attempt to fix this very pesky problem.........
Maybe this is Blizzard politics that they agreed with WoW devs not to touch this part of game or else.
I mean the reason for sitting on their collective hands in regards to this issue is ridiculous.

Blizzard allow us to make the chat box untouchable or unclickable until we re enable it.

This idea would be acceptable to most of us.
Make the whole damn UI modifiable like WoW, I say. I want smaller chat, smaller ability buttons, and I could imagine all the cool stuff the modding community could make for this UI.
02/18/2016 10:09 PMPosted by BoPop
"Yea we know some people like it when they can move things around on their screen but then SOME games are just straight out of the box the way they are and that's how we wanted to make D3" (not an exact quote)

I think the reason the UI is so bad is because they were already thinking ahead to porting it to consoles when they made the PC version and a lot of PC friendly things, such as UI interface, graphics interface, were made inferior for easy porting to the consoles.
02/19/2016 03:38 PMPosted by Wiley
Make the whole damn UI modifiable like WoW, I say. I want smaller chat, smaller ability buttons, and I could imagine all the cool stuff the modding community could make for this UI.

This is what makes D3 all the more maddening. It wasn't like they didn't know how to make a customizable UI, I just get the feeling they wanted to be lazy and didn't.
while i agree that many neat things could be done regarding the ui, it might be best to focus our hopes on something extremely simple (as suggested above by Casually):

The ability to lock the chat box

that would keep hc from dying. it'd keep grift runs smoother. bounties easier. really everything involving movement would be improved.
agree

02/19/2016 05:57 PMPosted by Jaeds
while i agree that many neat things could be done regarding the ui, it might be best to focus our hopes on something extremely simple (as suggested above by Casually):

The ability to lock the chat box

that would keep hc from dying. it'd keep grift runs smoother. bounties easier. really everything involving movement would be improved.
agree a simple option to lock the chatbox and prevent it from popping up further would be very helpful for a start. we can customize it later but for now just stop with the random deaths from chatbox mistypes.
02/19/2016 09:21 AMPosted by Jitter
The UI should be able to be cleared.
I have died sooooo many times because the crappy ui.

I don't want to chat.
I don't want to check my inventory.
I don't want to click on party members.

My health could be 70% smaller.
Resources make them small % of total left number.

You know .......
Got a game that requires clicking all over the screen.
It makes no sense to have 65% of the area unclickable.

Add to that doing bounties. A massive window opens...
Do you want to zone to xyz area.. Like that couldn't be a tiny notification

Such a bad ui...
Terrible really...

To add: the post-GRift splash screen is just ludicrous.

First couple times, fine, let it Roll Out.
But after that, it needs to Get Back.
Having that screen in the Number One Spot onscreen over and over again makes me want One More Drink and to Slap somebody.
(Blizz), I Wish You Would rethink this UI design.

NOTE: yes, I was bored.
you guys really cry over everything lol