Iron Man

Hardcore
Hey guys,

Just a post to gauge if there would be anybody out there interested in starting Iron Man characters.

I used to play Iron Man on D1 and 2 and it was a hell of a lot of fun, particularly on D1 for obvious reasons. I've not tried it as yet on D3, but of late I've felt that, Greater Rift pushing aside, the game is stupidly easy in all respects. I've tried to roll a fresh level 1 and start a totally self found play through straight from Torment 1 on Hardcore, this does give the game an edge, but overall it still isn't enough. Generally speaking, things are straight forward despite the odd spike or two, depending on luck and circumstance.

I feel it needs more, and so I searched online for possible rule sets and came up with very little that encouraged. Overall, the rule sets suggested are a bit soft and don't offer much in the way of sadomasochistic edge. Playing D3 in normal HC or (god forbid) SC is great, but it lacks urgency, depravity, grit and battle essence. What I mean by this is, the fights aren't so much fights, as walkovers. Monsters are just pasted and you simply march on with your infinite resources and potion onto the next hapless set of 'demons'. I miss the days where a battle was a battle. Where each moment mattered, each decision imperative, when each victory, no matter how small was so, so sweet.

I wanted to attempt to bring a bit of that feeling into the game play of a Diablo game, and I thought Iron Man may be the only way.

I'm going to be very simplistic and blunt with the rule set, there is no need to convolute.

Rules:

1) Fresh HC character (any class)

2) No access to stash whatsoever at ANY point (Your inventory is your only means of carrying items).

3) No access whatsoever to any vendors/artisans/healers at any point and for any reason.

4) Game is started on Torment 1. Campaign mode is used. Play through all difficulties until death.

5) No area can be repeated, can only ever press forward through the quests.

6) Town can only be accessed when the quest line demands it. Nothing else may be done whilst there, the only exception being to 'pause' the game when required.

7) Any skills/runes may be used, items can be traded only between players in the Iron Man team.

8) Give it your best shot and just have fun!

One of the most attractive mechanics which is brought back into the fold playing this way, is item durability. It will now matter greatly as nothing can ever be repaired (Spaulders of Zakara anyone!?) and so a lot of strategy and decision making must go into where and when particular items are used, and for how long.

All said, if anyone is interested just give me a shout on this thread or add me and PM in game, Lore#2563, and I'd be glad to discuss further or answer any questions on the rules or even tweak anything pending problems I have not foreseen etc.

Peace guys.

Lore.
i think doing lvl 65-70 in T1 history mode is not posible, without kanai's powers and high lvl gems. Also the gear that you find in those lvls is really bad.

I dont know if you have had the oportunity to play those leves in that difficulty, even in master is too hard

In the pase i made Iron Core toons, with a similar idea fo yours. Made fresh character in master, and i have had no problem until i touch lvl 60, there i usually change difficulty to expert, if not be prepared to a really near or death experience

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16200990747?page=1
I have began a tilt tonight, so I guess I will let you know ;)

To address the post though, I have cleared T1 self found 'pure play' many times (HC only player) and it can be rough at times, but it is certainly achievable. However, that was with the aid of vendors and artisans. I did not allow for cube use until 70 though.

With Iron Man, I will have no vendors or artisans, so I guess its just a case of watch this space. I will update with progress on this thread.
Diary of an Iron Monk, Night 1: A New Dawn

My fellow Monk and I set out from New Tristram this dark eve. We were set upon immediately by hoards of the Risen dead and their Wretched Mothers. Worn knuckles came down hard upon their rotten cheek bones, steel met bone again and again and there could be only one victor. Ytar smite their decayed souls.

I came upon a club, powerfully imbued with arcane magiks. My brother too found one, threaded with the electricity of the thunder gods. Progress through the old ruins was steady, although a zombie king lurking beneath the Tavern of the Rising Sun pushed us both to our limit. He and his posse possessed mighty blows which threw us asunder time and again, we struggled to contain their incessant advances. But with the might of our Deadly Reach, we kept them at bay just long enough, delivering knocking blows of our own.

Upon reaching the old cathedral, my brother and I had stabilised. We had wrapped ourselves with many items of the blue magic, spoils from our early battles, and our intense meditations had led us to the promised ground of a Piercing Trident. Blasting our enemies into the air gave us vital breathing space during the heat of battle and allowed us to carve out escape routes when needed, and they were needed!

In years gone by, Thunderclap was always the preferred early skill of choice for a budding Monk. But for the Iron Monk, however, their is no dawn for such frivolities. It's teleportive nature proving too dangerous with its tendency to cause much fought for tactical position to be constantly lost, which was not desirable, and caused my potion bottle to run dry too often.

We have rescued Deckard from the clutches of the Headcarver, my brother blinding the unholy menace whilst I soothed our wounds with a Breath of Heaven or four. Now we make camp for the night, we are level 10 and I have become passively fleet of foot for my rest and my brothers Resolve has been steeled. Our weary heads lay down for the night, and from the darkness, I hear them.

They are waiting for us. And we are ready.
Maybe....

Let me think this over and then I'll let you know tonight.
02/18/2016 12:11 PMPosted by Lore
Rules:

1) Fresh HC character (any class)

2) No access to stash whatsoever at ANY point (Your inventory is your only means of carrying items).

3) No access whatsoever to any vendors/artisans/healers at any point and for any reason.

4) Game is started on Torment 1. Campaign mode is used. Play through all difficulties until death.

5) No area can be repeated, can only ever press forward through the quests.

6) Town can only be accessed when the quest line demands it. Nothing else may be done whilst there, the only exception being to 'pause' the game when required.

7) Any skills/runes may be used, items can be traded only between players in the Iron Man team.

8) Give it your best shot and just have fun!

i love your mind set for playing
i like your idea i'll make my set of own rules.
nice progress on your monk
spending 10+ minutes fighting elites isn't fun either.

I have done a bunch of variations of this, and it very rarely ended with me dying, just getting bored of doing no damage in to high of a difficulty.

goodluck to you tho, to each his own!
Im wating the part when you reach level 64-69 in Torment 1

good luck with that
D3 is supposed to be an ARPG but instead its platformer/H&S anywho, playing like that is just boring.

I recommend a game with solid pve with pvp or a pure pvp or any combo of the two.

Sincerely
Jumbasa
The Monkly Brothers hear your concerns, and we too fear the same, specifically 64-69.

But we must press on! There is no way back, no way out, no way forward but through the shattered bones and torn flesh of our quarry, by fist and steel, YtaRNG be with us.

Second diary entry to follow after tonight's foray into the abyss.

Peace always.

Lore.
i very much like that you are doing this
Lore:

Due to the lack of indication that the season will be closing when originally thought I think I will join in this with a second character. I'll let you know more details later on today (class, etc)
I always enjoyed reading these adventures on the D2 boards. I remember one tale where there was an epic battle with Andariel by, I think, a no-gear amazon.
02/18/2016 12:57 PMPosted by Gagar
i think doing lvl 65-70 in T1 history mode is not posible, without kanai's powers and high lvl gems. Also the gear that you find in those lvls is really bad.

Wut

02/19/2016 09:06 AMPosted by Proletariat
Lore:

Due to the lack of indication that the season will be closing when originally thought I think I will join in this with a second character. I'll let you know more details later on today (class, etc)

They're extending out the season? Uh oh.
02/19/2016 11:03 AMPosted by Endeavor

Either that or changes will be minimal. We haven't even heard whispers yet and this seems like when PTR would need to be on the horizon to get the season out on time.

Personally, and I swear I'm not trying to be Jumbasa here, I think D3 is on its death throws (resources standpoint) but I am hopeful that D4 is in the works. The game needs a new foundation and not an expansion.

What I wrote earlier:

they should just make diablo 4 instead of wasting resource on fixing this broken game, lets face it this game is be on fixing from just an expansion. the problem lies with in its design, no patch/expansion can fix that. might as well just put all those resource to a new game with new design etc
==========
This is what I would do as Blizzard as well. While I enjoy D3 to a degree its issues are built into the foundation of the game and one would do better just making a new one instead of attempting to continue this game and change it. While Diablo 3 was not the huge success many had hoped for it was an 'alright' game and I know many of us have gotten more than a fair share of enjoyment from it. The game though needs a new foundation not an addition.

02/19/2016 11:03 AMPosted by Drachenlord
probably not. theyre a billion dollar company and its good PR to continue working on a older game like d3 even if you dont get revenue from it anymore. there are probably not more than 5-10 people still working on this game. its peanuts for them, really. it cant take more than 5-10 people to implement 1-2 new maps and some stronger items in the game every 3-4 months. and if they think that set dungeons is what d3 endgame needs they should hire new people anyways
============
Going with this I would leave a small team t continue the patch cycle on D3 and TRY STUFF out on D3. Begin to treat D3 as a testing environment for D4 and try small-scale versions of big ideas in the game. Those of us still playing are, for the majority, loyalist that will be happy to test stuff out and will be happy for the fresh air being breathed into this sandbox.

Begin to use D3 as a testing ground for what this franchise needs - D4

Formatting bug.... I put ==== to speperate my responses
another rules i think are obvious

10) Can't asign any paragon point

11) Can't use kanai's Power if any unlocked
02/19/2016 11:03 AMPosted by Endeavor

Either that or changes will be minimal. We haven't even heard whispers yet and this seems like when PTR would need to be on the horizon to get the season out on time.

Personally, and I swear I'm not trying to be Jumbasa here, I think D3 is on its death throws (resources standpoint) but I am hopeful that D4 is in the works. The game needs a new foundation and not an expansion.

What I wrote earlier:

they should just make diablo 4 instead of wasting resource on fixing this broken game, lets face it this game is be on fixing from just an expansion. the problem lies with in its design, no patch/expansion can fix that. might as well just put all those resource to a new game with new design etc
==========
This is what I would do as Blizzard as well. While I enjoy D3 to a degree its issues are built into the foundation of the game and one would do better just making a new one instead of attempting to continue this game and change it. While Diablo 3 was not the huge success many had hoped for it was an 'alright' game and I know many of us have gotten more than a fair share of enjoyment from it. The game though needs a new foundation not an addition.

02/19/2016 11:03 AMPosted by Drachenlord
probably not. theyre a billion dollar company and its good PR to continue working on a older game like d3 even if you dont get revenue from it anymore. there are probably not more than 5-10 people still working on this game. its peanuts for them, really. it cant take more than 5-10 people to implement 1-2 new maps and some stronger items in the game every 3-4 months. and if they think that set dungeons is what d3 endgame needs they should hire new people anyways
============
Going with this I would leave a small team t continue the patch cycle on D3 and TRY STUFF out on D3. Begin to treat D3 as a testing environment for D4 and try small-scale versions of big ideas in the game. Those of us still playing are, for the majority, loyalist that will be happy to test stuff out and will be happy for the fresh air being breathed into this sandbox.

Begin to use D3 as a testing ground for what this franchise needs - D4

Formatting bug.... I put ==== to speperate my responses

I dunno, the base platform for d3 is, by far, the most expensive part of it. It would be far more cost-effective for them to make 3, or 4, or more expansions and just continue to take the game in new and unexpected directions. Though other games are finally starting to pull in the more serious players, so perhaps we will end up with a d4 down the road for those of us who don't enjoy getting a full class set within 5 minutes of hitting lvl 70.
Diary of an Iron Monk, Night 2: Leoric and Legendaries

My brother and I set out early this evening, the air was thick with stench as we passed the entrance into the Weeping Hollow after easily casting Haedrig's dead weight aside. Mist hung low over our road and Tyrant the Revenant, and his boys, lay in wait!

We felt unprepared, and there was high concern. The creatures were imbued with the power of Mortar and one hit sent half of our entire life's worth to sea. Ytar as our witness, however, we stood unmoved, utilising a large Copse near the entrance to our tactical advantage, nullifying the bastards high flying bombs of death.

Fortified by our victory, we pushed on through hordes of the Ravenous Dead with little issue. We relied on a combination of Wind Blast and Piercing Trident to keep our prey at ease throughout. Blue magic was in abundance, and the first of the powerful, rare treasures, began to fall into our path. We were in good stead, my brother was strong, he could take a hit, but I had a silent concern, shimmering into reality at the back of my mind; my vitality was beginning to lack.

Safely Inside the Cemetery of the Forsaken we selected our way twice, and twice we were wrong, but twice as powerful we became for our woes. In the first false crypt, we came across a nasty set of Frozen Bat bastards. Their frozen powers sapped our health even before their explosive climaxes. Just being stood in their mist as they grew large smoothly depleted our hit points like the falling sand of a broken egg timer. Our Dashing Strikes proved the pivotal skill in this battle of wits and we were able to win through with the constant aid of the Breath of Heaven.

Once the his minions were dismembered, the yellow bat from hell was easy game. Rock hard fists repeatedly beat up his meager skeleton frame. Once slew his body revealed to us a fantastic turn of events. Two items of long spoken Legend fell to the ground with gorgeous *SHHHTING*. A pair of Homing Pads for myslef and a Manald Heal for my Monkly brethren. My shoulders granted me 86 life per second and I couldn't believe my luck...although the Legendary Power left a lot to be desired, and this tempered my excitement with a grounding reality check.

Descending now ever deeper into the the depths of the old cathedral, our mental and physical powers were increasing steadily. Powerful new skills were granted to us, none more so than the might of Exploding Palm. My brother and I had our reservations about this skill without a rune, and poor methods of ignition, but our fears were unfounded. The skill immediately changed the game as I gave my brother a huge two handed rare Mace, which made his palms filthy and rude. The value this skill gave us was unprecedented. Hugs mobs would cease to exist around us after just one of their weakest was picked off and shortly after came The Flesh is Weak which brought us glory, glory even against single target bastards.

Then came the King. Dormant in the depths of his crypt, and promising a true battle. This was personal, I wanted this foo' to pay for his pathetic past behaviours.

En route to his quarters I made sure to destroy every single urn I could find. I smashed hundreds of these enticing little things. Why did I do it? For a chance, for a dream...for survival.

Finally inside the Kings crypt, I smashed the last of the urns...

*SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTING!*

I kid not dear reader, a Fleshrake fell from the heavens to my feet. In the still mist of the sleeping Kings very crypt, a touch of Ytar kissed us, and I knew it was a sign. Donning my knew weapon, I turned to the King's throne, where he sat unassumingly. I gave him a poke...

and it was on!

Standing way clear of his first angry golf swings, my brother and I fell into formation and stead fast our position. The glorious Inner Sanctuary came down from on high, *ding*, and we went toe to toe with the skeletal monstrosity. His melee blows were mighty, very, very mighty. Dashing strike was again imperative in avoiding the worst of what he had to offer, we did what we could whilst we waited for him to summon his boney posse. Palm, ham, BOOM!, palm, ham, BOOM!

The Kings crypt echoed with shattered bones as his vicious mace blazed the hot air time and again. We alternated Inner Sanctuaries, and it was to prove all that stood between my mortal frame and the eternal ether. One glance of his mace left me at 5% life, my vitality fears founded, my brother stood much firmer, but I was not to be undone so easily. My heart raced throughout the battle and their was zero margin for error, Blind, Dashing Strike, Inner Sanctuary and breath of Heaven, each cast had to yield 100% value out of it just to be able to stand with this spiteful beast...

...and we smote his ruin. He could not stand the Monkly business my brother and I brought.

Two new crowns, for two new Kings....
I'm looking forward to the next installment, but in the mean time, will start my own quest using this hellish twist on adventure mode - so long as I manage to best the beasts on the road to New Tristram.
Great idea. I did a couple of runs using similar rules when bored in between seasons. I allowed myself to craft gear, the rest was pretty much the same. Ran both Campaign and bounties. Bounties are more challenging imo, due to very high damage spikes when you get lvl ups. But you have more choice of where to go and can potentially cheat your way up. Did a few 1-70 runs on T1 and one on T3 which was insanely difficult.